WR Matt Jones will fight for one of the remaining spots w/JAGs

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
stasheroo;2109996 said:
What receiver has done well in Jacksonville recently?

Where's the 1,000 yard receiver?

Where's the Pro Bowler?

Why are the signing and trading for their next 'answer'?

Go ahead.

I'll wait.

Keep laughing.

:rolleyes:

Because the one the drafted in 1st round a few years back, isn't the answer

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mr Cowboy;2109994 said:
How can you compare Matt Jones to Alvin Harper? Harper was never intended to be the primary target of our offense. We had Irvin, Novacek, Emmitt and Moose in our offense. Harper did exactly what he was told to do on the field, run his routes, block and make the tough catches when they called on him. He never demonstrated a poor attitude in practice or in games. He was a team player and worked his tail off. Jimmy would not have put up with him if he was otherwise, and Del Rio was on those teams, he should know.

Del Rio is no fool, and to blame him for Jones' problems is stupid. If Del Rio saw that Jones could be a productive player, regardless of his attitude, he would play him. But Del Rio knows Jones is what he is, and does nothing to improve. Just like Jimmy put up with Irvin and his shenanigans, and Parcells put up with Taylor, Del Rio would put up with Jones, if he was a player.

I just don't get the change of scenery thing......Jax drafted him in the first round and paid him some pretty decent money, yet he won't work hard to earn it, but if we bring him in and pay him the minimum he will all of sudden change.......Makes prefect sense.

I'm sure Dallas has done it's due dilligence on Jones. They have Campo in staff now, who coached at Jax, and should have some good info on Jones. If they see something they may bring him in, but I seriously doubt they will.

We'll see.

Very well put, Mr. Cowboy!

:bow: :bow:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2109990 said:
what others have I made in this discussion?

For starters, you were blantantly deceitful in trying to compare Alvin Harper's Year 4 numbers against Jones' - ya know, they guy who hasn't played 4 years yet.

My contention is that Jones gets criticized for putting up 'Harper-like' numbers while Harper gets a free pass.

Harper actually played receiver in college too!

Do you not see a double-standard there?

By the way, despite our differing points of view, I do appreciate all of your contributions to the discussion as it's a subject I'm obviously very much interested in.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dargonking999;2109997 said:

The "1"?

Try about 5 of them.

Again, it's not just Matt Jones struggling in Jacksonville.

That's my point.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
stasheroo;2110002 said:
For starters, you were blantantly deceitful in trying to compare Alvin Harper's Year 4 numbers against Jones' - ya know, they guy who hasn't played 4 years yet.

My contention is that Jones gets criticized for putting up 'Harper-like' numbers while Harper gets a free pass.

Harper actually played receiver in college too!

Do you not see a double-standard there?

By the way, despite our differing points of view, I do appreciate all of your contributions to the discussion as it's a subject I'm obviously very much interested in.

i just picked a year. His year before that was also better than anything Jones had done. I showed that as well.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
dargonking999;2109997 said:

Ouch!

:laugh2:

stash is down! 1...2...3...can he get up...yes!

Stasharoo is up, ready for another knock down!

Fuzzy ended this for me with his last post....

Carry on...

Give me a
"M"

Give me a

"A"

Give me a

"T"

Giv e me another
"T"

Give me a
"J"

Give me a....

Fuggit about it!

Aloha...

:laugh2: :laugh2:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
MATT JONES: AN ANALYSIS

By The Times-Union

THE NUMBERS

sponsored links
Ads by Yahoo!

Matt Jones' pass-to-completion ratio might not be befitting of a first-round draft pick, but the truth is that he makes plays 52.1 percent of the time when the ball is thrown his way.

The Jaguars have targeted Jones in the passing game on 165 plays in three seasons. Of those plays, Jones has come down with the ball 86 times.

The problem this season, it seems, is that the Jaguars haven't targeted Jones enough. The team has thrown Jones' direction on 20 plays this season, and he has made the catch nine times (45 percent). Compare that to last season, when Jones caught 41 of the 76 balls (53.9 percent) thrown his way, or his rookie season, when he caught 36 of 69 passes (52.2 percent) thrown to him.

Jones has averaged 13.5 yards per catch in his three seasons and has 20 plays of longer than 20 yards. Interestingly, Jones' statistics are comparable to those of Reggie Williams and Ernest Wilford.

In 57 games apiece, Wilford and Williams have 117 and 135 catches, respectively (Jones has 86, despite playing in 21 fewer games) for 1,722 and 1,651 yards (Jones has 1,157). Wilford and Williams average 14.7 and 12.2 yards, respectively, per reception. Wilford has 28 plays of longer than 20 yards, Williams 21.

"My rookie year, I didn't have a clue of what I was doing out there," Jones said. "I was learning a lot, learning on the run. Last year, I thought I had gotten better, but nagging injuries held me back a lot. This year, I think I've also gotten better compared to my first two years here."

THE PROBLEMS

Unlike Wilford and Williams, Jones doesn't possess that extra element that makes onlookers forget about his shortcomings as a pure receiver.

Williams lays bone-crushing blocks. Coaches laud Wilford's work ethic. Jones is just ... Jones, synonymous with talk of being too soft, not passionate enough and too inconsistent at catching even routine balls.

"He's exactly what he was in college," said an AFC East personnel-department member, who asked not to be identified because of NFL rules concerning comments about players on other teams. "He didn't really like football in college. He liked it, but didn't love it. He came to the [NFL] combine [in 2004] saying he wanted to do other things, like play basketball or start a band. His mind was on everything other than football. He made a lot of big plays at the Senior Bowl like there was nothing to it. You can't deny his physical talent, but the mental talent isn't there. He never wanted to be a great football player."

Reluctant to publicly bash players, Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio even joined in the criticism in September by expressing concern about Jones' lackadaisical body language. The incident was the latest in a laundry list of disappointing moments that include:

-The tackle that Jones didn't appear to attempt on a Tennessee Titans fumble return last season.

-The two passes he dropped, resulting in two interceptions against the Houston Texans earlier that season.

-His track record of dropped passes and one-armed attempts at catches (especially in traffic), to go with a penchant for shying away from contact.

Some inside the Jaguars' organization have privately said that earlier this season, a group of players marched into Del Rio's office after a game to complain about Jones' lack of effort.

Del Rio and vice president of player personnel Shack Harris didn't return calls seeking comment.

THE FUTURE

Jones definitely hasn't secured a future beyond this season in Jacksonville. The team appears to be losing patience with his slow development. Of the three games in which Jones has been inactive - against Denver, Indianapolis and Tennessee - Del Rio provided a clear-cut explanation for just one of them.

Del Rio said the Jaguars needed nine active defensive linemen for the Oct. 22 loss to the Colts. Of Jones' inactivity for the Sept. 23 game at Denver, Del Rio offered no explanation other than to say: "My thoughts are that first and foremost, my responsibility is to make decisions based on what I think is best for this football team." Del Rio was never asked about Jones' inactivity for the Nov. 11 game at Tennessee.

Further jeopardizing Jones' status with the Jaguars is the presence of talented youngsters such as rookies John Broussard and Mike Walker (injured reserve) and second-year pro Charles Sharon. During training camp, Sharon and Walker were listed above Jones on the depth chart.

Jones is scheduled to earn base salaries of $575,000 in 2007 and $625,000 in 2008, but his production might not merit the pay, especially when considering that he - like Williams - is a former first-round draft pick.

Still, Jones insists that he wants to stay in Jacksonville.

"I love Jacksonville. I love the guys here and the talent on this team - the selfless attitude of everybody," Jones said. "We'll see how it goes. You just have to keep a good attitude. You have to keep your head up and move on [if things don't work out]."

I can bold also

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mr Cowboy;2109994 said:
How can you compare Matt Jones to Alvin Harper? Harper was never intended to be the primary target of our offense. We had Irvin, Novacek, Emmitt and Moose in our offense. Harper did exactly what he was told to do on the field, run his routes, block and make the tough catches when they called on him. He never demonstrated a poor attitude in practice or in games. He was a team player and worked his tail off. Jimmy would not have put up with him if he was otherwise, and Del Rio was on those teams, he should know.

Would Jones be the primary target here in Dallas? Hardly. And nobody is saying he would.

Mr Cowboy said:
Del Rio is no fool, and to blame him for Jones' problems is stupid. If Del Rio saw that Jones could be a productive player, regardless of his attitude, he would play him. But Del Rio knows Jones is what he is, and does nothing to improve. Just like Jimmy put up with Irvin and his shenanigans, and Parcells put up with Taylor, Del Rio would put up with Jones, if he was a player.

Not calling Del Rio a fool. But history shows that the Jags under his watch have struggled to establish a quality passing game. That's not opinion, that's fact.

Mr Cowboy said:
I just don't get the change of scenery thing......Jax drafted him in the first round and paid him some pretty decent money, yet he won't work hard to earn it, but if we bring him in and pay him the minimum he will all of sudden change.......Makes prefect sense.

Maybe it's about more than money? Maybe it's about the right coaching? Maybe it's about the right type of offense? Maybe it's about a better supporting cast?

Mr Cowboy said:
I'm sure Dallas has done it's due dilligence on Jones. They have Campo in staff now, who coached at Jax, and should have some good info on Jones. If they see something they may bring him in, but I seriously doubt they will.

I hope they at least investigate this possibility. And if they decide that it's not worth exploring than I could live with that.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars;2110009 said:
Ouch!

stash is down! 1...2...3...can he get up...yes!

Stasharoo is up, ready for another knock down!

Fuzzy ended this for me with his last post....

Carry on...

Give me a
"M"

Give me a

"A"

Give me a

"T"

Giv e me another
"T"

Give me a
"J"

Give me a....

Fuggit about it!

Aloha...

:laugh2: :laugh2:

no disrespect but are you like 13?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2110006 said:
i just picked a year. His year before that was also better than anything Jones had done. I showed that as well.

Sure ya did. The best year of Harper's career.

Who cares that Jones hasn't even reached year 4 yet?

Who cares that Jones never had Irvin on the other side?

Who cares that Jones never had an Aikman passing to him?

Who cares that Harper actually played receiver in college while Jones didn't?

Weak.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
stasheroo;2110004 said:
The "1"?

Try about 5 of them.

Again, it's not just Matt Jones struggling in Jacksonville.

That's my point.

Ok, and did the others make it somewhere else too?

Again you keep saying Jones is the only one. But the bottom line is, the jags are bad at drafting WR's. Why would Jones be any different?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DaBoys4Life;2110013 said:
no disrespect but are you like 13?

No...I'm 9 years old. Still learning how to master the English language. How about you?

:confused:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dargonking999;2110017 said:
Ok, and did the others make it somewhere else too?

Again you keep saying Jones is the only one. But the bottom line is, the jags are bad at drafting WR's. Why would Jones be any different?

Most of them are still in Jacksonville.

We'll have to see what Wilford does in Miami, but it's not a great situation he's getting into either.

You say the Jags are bad at drafting receivers, it's just as possible that the Jags are bad at developing them as well.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
stasheroo;2110022 said:
Most of them are still in Jacksonville.

We'll have to see what Wilford does in Miami, but it's not a great situation he's getting into either.

You say the Jags are bad at drafting receivers, it's just as possible that the Jags are bad at developing them as well.

How many receivers has Dallas drafted that they could not develop? What about the other 30 teams that drafted receivers that they could not develop?

Next...

:rolleyes:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5Stars;2110029 said:
How many receivers has Dallas drafted that they could not develop? What about the other 30 teams that drafted receivers that they could not develop?

Next...

Two words:

Ray Sherman

The guy has worked with some of the NFL's all-time greatest receivers like Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Chris Carter, Randy Moss, Donald Driver, Javon Walker, Plaxico Burress, Hines Ward, and Terrell Owens.

He has 21 years of NFL experience.

Compare that to Jacksonville's receivers coach who was in year #1 in the NFL last season?

My respect for Sherman's resume is part of what makes me think that the Cowboys could get more out of Jones than Jacksonville could.

The low cost to find out is another.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
stasheroo;2110043 said:
Two words:

Ray Sherman

The guy has worked with some of the NFL's all-time greatest receivers like Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Chris Carter, Randy Moss, Donald Driver, Javon Walker, Plaxico Burress, Hines Ward, and Terrell Owens.

He has 21 years of NFL experience.

Compare that to Jacksonville's receivers coach who was in year #1 in the NFL last season?

My respect for Sherman's resume is part of what makes me think that the Cowboys could get more out of Jones than Jacksonville could.

The low cost to find out is another.

Fair enough, stash...

I just don't think it will happen, nor do I think the Cowboys even need him at this point.

Anyway...it's all good!

;)

Oh...and those recievers that you just named? Matt Jones is not even in the same league as those guys! Those guys were legitimate receivers coming out of college!

Anyway...10 bucks that Jones will not come to Dallas this season? Wat you say, bro!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5Stars;2110048 said:
Fair enough, stash...

I just don't think it will happen, nor do I think the Cowboys even need him at this point.

Anyway...it's all good!

;)

Fair enough!

I respect your opinion and appreciate the debate.

:beer2:

5Stars said:
Oh...and those recievers that you just named? Matt Jones is not even in the same league as those guys! Those guys were legitimate receivers coming out of college!

Absolutely agree. I think that's part of Jones' problem. Making a big position switch and not having great coaching in how to do it. Do I hold Jones blameless? Absolutely not! More that I'm hopeful better coaching could help maximize his physical talents.

And I think a 6th rounder is an absolute throwaway to find out.

Like I've said, nobody even knew who Erik Walden was and he's a longshot to even make this team, but nobody said boo when the Cowboys used a 6th round pick on him. Surprises me the venom people have for using that same round pick on Jones.

5Stars said:
Anyway...10 bucks that Jones will not come to Dallas this season? Wat you say, bro!

So I would have a failed campaign and be out $10 bucks?

"I don't think I could bear it"

yummydoc.jpg

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
stasheroo;2110054 said:
Fair enough!

I respect your opinion and appreciate the debate.

:beer2:

Absolutely agree. I think that's part of Jones' problem. Making a big position switch and not having great coaching in how to do it. Do I hold Jones blameless? Absolutely not! More that I'm hopeful better coaching could help maximize his physical talents.

And I think a 6th rounder is an absolute throwaway to find out.

Like I've said, nobody even knew who Erik Walden was and he's a longshot to even make this team, but nobody said boo when the Cowboys used a 6th round pick on him. Surprises me the venom people have for using that same round pick on Jones.

So I would have a failed campaign and be out $10 bucks?

"I don't think I could bear it"

Bullcrap! Tell the truth!

YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT!!