WR Matt Jones will fight for one of the remaining spots w/JAGs

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
stasheroo;2109888 said:
The guy makes sure to protect himself whenever possible. He's not a physical receiver no matter how you look at it.

Go check on Jones' number of "starts" last year. I'll wait.....

Nothing wrong with having an opinion. But there's something wrong with having an uninformed opinion.

If Jones would be #4 as you say who would be #'s 1-3?

Tell me you're actually counting on Terry Glenn?

Wow he lost his starting job to Dennis Northcutt. And youre trying to use that as a good thing.

:lmao2:

Oh and Hurd pretty much matched Matt 'quitter' Jones last year.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2109890 said:
how is that not personal bias?

This guy has so much upside he just didn't work in the scheme. It would be reasonable to assume that he can come in for us and put up numbers better than Crayton did last year.

Now its the scheme... :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
stasheroo;2109888 said:
The guy makes sure to protect himself whenever possible. He's not a physical receiver no matter how you look at it.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion. But there's something wrong with having an uninformed opinion.

He may not be physical, but he aint afraid of running any route, or of getting hit by anyone. Jones on the other hand only wants to run fly's with no safety over the top.

I was referring to the years before last year but
Just because he doesn't start doesn't mean he didn't receive significant playing time. And that makes it look even worse. If he's suppose to beat out our WR's to even make it up to #4, i would hope he can crack the starting lineup on the Jags team, who basically just went and bought them a whole new lineup of WR's.

And i will count on Terry Glenn until he is either on IR, or Cut.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2109895 said:
Now its the scheme... :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Let's see if that sticks to the wall?

Hmmm....

Nope!

Let's see. The Jax QB throws the ball to Jones...he don't catch it.

Romo throws the ball to Jones...TOUCHDOWN!! ROCK ON, BABY!!! ROCK ON!!!

:laugh2:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
stasheroo;2109888 said:

So you want Jones to come in here and replace Terry Glenn?

:lmao2: :laugh2: :lmao2:

:bang2: :bang2:

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2109890 said:
how is that not personal bias?

This guy has so much upside he just didn't work in the scheme. It would be reasonable to assume that he can come in for us and put up numbers better than Crayton did last year.

So it would be reasonable to assume that he can come in, and run routes over the middle and catch almost every pass coming his way. We can assume he will make the right decsion based on coverage and run his route correctly? We can assume nothing about him, because all he's done is fail miserbly, bar one year. When you get benched on a team that has no WR's then you aren't going to make it on a team, that put up team records in passing yards, and TD's.

Oh and let's not forget this is a timing offense, that is based on rhythm execution and above all chemistry. But yea, lets bring in a guy who's work ethic and desire to study the game has been questioned. If i can say one thing about our WR's, they may not be the best (sans Owens) but they will do whatever it takes to be the best, and that cannot be said about Jones.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2109893 said:
Wow he lost his starting job to Dennis Northcutt. And youre trying to use that as a good thing.

I never said it was a good thing. Nice attempt at spin.

If Matt Jones was the only receiver struggling in Jacksonville, you could solely blame him. But we all know that's not the case. That's a pattern that calls the team into question as much as the players.

Oh and Hurd pretty much matched Matt 'quitter' Jones last year.

Pretty much?

Guess it depends on personal definition?

Jones 24 catches 317 yards 4 TD's in 12 games

Hurd 19 catches 314 yards 1 TD in 16 games

Where did he match?

Hurd did play in more games if that helps your case......

And you dare accuse others of misinformation.

cowheel

Reaction score
Gryphon;2108044 said:
Source: http://www.rototimes.com

Jerry Porter and Reggie Williams are the likely starting receivers for Jacksonville this season, according to Jaguars.com. If that holds true, then Dennis Northcutt would likely move into the slot role as the number three receiver, with promising second-year pro Mike Walker following him on the depth chart at four. Troy Williamson, Matt Jones, and John Broussard will fight for the remaining spots, which may only be one.

Our View: Porter had a few solid seasons in Oakland, and racked up 44 receptions for 705 yards and six scores last season despite poor play at quarterback. Porter could rank as a solid sleeper candidate if he nails down a starting gig, with the consistent and efficient David Garrard delivering his passes in Jacksonville.

lol... dude is fighting to be the 4th or 5th receiver spot for the Jags? :rolleyes:
bum.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
stasheroo;2109904 said:

If Matt Jones was the only receiver struggling in Jacksonville, you could solely blame him. But we all know that's not the case. That's a pattern that calls the team into question as much as the players.

Pretty much?

Where did he match?

How about we actually see the numbers of how many passes where thrown at the WR's a game. Hurd only played in 16 games, because he was a special teams player. Something Jones does not want to be. Which is why he only played in 12.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
stasheroo;2109906 said:
Well when none of the receivers do well......

:confused:

Well they had to be doing something right, to get to the playoffs, have garrad throw for over 2500 passing yards, and 18 TD's in as many games as Jones showed up for

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
stasheroo;2109904 said:

Pretty much?

Where did he match?

No you use it as an excuse or a mitigating circumstances when in fact its one of the biggest indictments of him.

314 vs 317 yards and it has nothing to do with games played it has to do with snaps and the reason why Jones got less time is because he got benched for sucking.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2109912 said:
No you use it as an excuse or a mitigating circumstances when in fact its one of the biggest indictments of him.

314 vs 317 yards and it has nothing to do with games played it has to do with snaps and the reason why Jones got less time is because he got benched for sucking.

But, fuzzy...you just have to ***-u-me (assume)that he will save the franchise of the Dallas Cowboys!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dargonking999;2109897 said:
He may not be physical, but he aint afraid of running any route, or of getting hit by anyone. Jones on the other hand only wants to run fly's with no safety over the top.

If you say so, I've seen differently myself. And tell me about all of the routes that Austin runs? Or better yet, tell me about Stanback's routes?

dargonking999 said:
I was referring to the years before last year but
Just because he doesn't start doesn't mean he didn't receive significant playing time. And that makes it look even worse. If he's suppose to beat out our WR's to even make it up to #4, i would hope he can crack the starting lineup on the Jags team, who basically just went and bought them a whole new lineup of WR's.

Well, we can use 2006's numbers if you're prefer, but I don't think they would helop your case against him.

dargonking999 said:
And i will count on Terry Glenn until he is either on IR, or Cut.

That's certainly your prerogative. But I don't want to go through a repeat of 2007 and have moved on.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dargonking999;2109902 said:
So it would be reasonable to assume that he can come in, and run routes over the middle and catch almost every pass coming his way. We can assume he will make the right decsion based on coverage and run his route correctly? We can assume nothing about him, because all he's done is fail miserbly, bar one year. When you get benched on a team that has no WR's then you aren't going to make it on a team, that put up team records in passing yards, and TD's.

Oh and let's not forget this is a timing offense, that is based on rhythm execution and above all chemistry. But yea, lets bring in a guy who's work ethic and desire to study the game has been questioned. If i can say one thing about our WR's, they may not be the best (sans Owens) but they will do whatever it takes to be the best, and that cannot be said about Jones.

I think it is reasonable to assume that Jason Garett will have this player strengths come out to the upmost. If this guy doesn't want to run across the middle make him do Outs post curls and flys. I thinks easy to see that Jones is a player that didn't fit in the scheme at Jacksonville thus all the negatives about him. Besides i think Jones is the vertical threat that we need in our offense. So it seems as if we are lacking someone that can get up the field in a hurry and take some pressure off of TO. If a player like Jones who only likes to go deep i think we can figure out a way to use. In the goal line a 6'5 WR is butter.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
And lets not forget that Matt Jones finds himself to be too good for ST so he won't do that either things that all our backup receivers contribute on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dargonking999;2109908 said:
How about we actually see the numbers of how many passes where thrown at the WR's a game. Hurd only played in 16 games, because he was a special teams player. Something Jones does not want to be. Which is why he only played in 12.

Is that right?

Care to show us some proof of that claim?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2109921 said:
I think it is reasonable to assume that Jason Garett will have this player strengths come out to the upmost. If this guy doesn't want to run across the middle make him do Outs post curls and flys. I thinks easy to see that Jones is a player that didn't fit in the scheme at Jacksonville thus all the negatives about him. Besides i think Jones is the vertical threat that we need in our offense. So it seems as if we are lacking someone that can get up the field in a hurry and take some pressure off of TO. If a player like Jones who only likes to go deep i think we can figure out a way to use. In the goal line a 6'5 WR is butter.

I would think its safe to assume that Jason Garrett won't play a guy that is not willing to run half of the route tree.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars;2109914 said:
But, fuzzy...you just have to ***-u-me (assume)that he will save the franchise of the Dallas Cowboys!

This is the crap I hate no one is saying that this guy is going to save the cowboy franchise. Just think he could/ would / is better than any one on our team outside of TO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dargonking999;2109910 said:
Well they had to be doing something right, to get to the playoffs, have garrad throw for over 2500 passing yards, and 18 TD's in as many games as Jones showed up for

Hey, show me the receiver numbers?

Show me the 1,000 yard Pro Bowlers they have since Jimmy Smith retired?

Tell me who led the Jags in receiving for 2006?

Tell me why they're still looking outside the organization for the answer?