Xbox One

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Nomad;5102203 said:
Anybody actively rooting for one console to "win" over the other is doing us all a disservice in my opinion. It is a much better situation to have two or three popular consoles competing in a Coke Pepsi scenario than it is to have only one, that is where you have all of your innovation and it keeps them honest. All you have to look at is the EA Sports situation with Madden when 2k sports went away. I honestly think online gaming would still be limited to the PC if the original XBOX hadn't put pressure on other consoles to include it. I also think a lot changed because Microsoft is a US corporation when before it was only Japanese consoles. In the other direction I don't think we would have all of this Kinect/Move junk etc if it wasn't for the Wii.

I understand people want the convenience of there only being one console with every game and everyone being on it, but it is a bad idea.

Microsoft did handle this horribly, but I'm nervous about what the overwhelming negativity and one sidedness is going to do to gaming overall. I think some people are making honest observations but it's obvious some people decided beforehand because they want one to really beat the other and they need to be careful what they push for. To be fair I have both and like both.

Actually what I hope we see is an example of what I'm talking about, if Microsoft is forced to backtrack because of the pressure from PS4. Look at it in reverse, what if XBOX came out with all this ridiculous stuff but there was no PS4 option.

Great post. Guess I didn't quote it the other day but you hit the nail on the head and the consumers will win out if either company is forced to listen to the consumers.

Lonestar94

Reaction score
Sinister;5101215 said:
Found this on reddit:

1005584_505508406182846_1589853500_n.png

Thought it was pretty funny and scary. George Orwell still relevant!

:starspin

Classic.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lodeus;5102674 said:

I wouldn't either.

They made a clever back-tracking statement pandering to the consumer fan base, but people should not be so quick to forget what this company intended to do.

Their intent was to control your gaming environment and experience and to make you pay and pay and pay again.

This from arguably the most profitable company on the planet.

Blind greed was on display, plain and simple.

And when they found out that the public would not stand for it, they changed course.

Fans should feel very good about their concerted efforts forcing change.

But they should not forget what this company tried to do, and what they will likely try to do again.

I would expect expanded features to be the next lure to get the masses to turn down the road of control that they are looking for.

For me, I won't buy this console now anyway, simply for the original plan of blind greed that for me it still represents.

Do not forget.

Smith22

Reaction score
Too little to late? Time will tell. I'm still leaning towards PS4.

$100 less and no kinect listening and watching my environment.

Duane

Reaction score
I'm still not changing my mind about going to the PS4 this gen. Screw M$ and their attempt to get away with all this BS.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think some folks in 'high places' will be losing jobs over this.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
stasheroo;5102942 said:
I wouldn't either.

They made a clever back-tracking statement pandering to the consumer fan base, but people should not be so quick to forget what this company intended to do.

Their intent was to control your gaming environment and experience and to make you pay and pay and pay again.

This from arguably the most profitable company on the planet.

Blind greed was on display, plain and simple.

And when they found out that the public would not stand for it, they changed course.

Fans should feel very good about their concerted efforts forcing change.

But they should not forget what this company tried to do, and what they will likely try to do again.

I would expect expanded features to be the next lure to get the masses to turn down the road of control that they are looking for.

For me, I won't buy this console now anyway, simply for the original plan of blind greed that for me it still represents.

Do not forget.

I think it was mainly because of Sony. Microsoft knew long ago how irritated their fans were and did not change. Sony announces the PS4 and their position on DRM and no online check in and then Microsoft does a 180.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Nomad;5102203 said:
Anybody actively rooting for one console to "win" over the other is doing us all a disservice in my opinion. It is a much better situation to have two or three popular consoles competing in a Coke Pepsi scenario than it is to have only one, that is where you have all of your innovation and it keeps them honest. All you have to look at is the EA Sports situation with Madden when 2k sports went away. I honestly think online gaming would still be limited to the PC if the original XBOX hadn't put pressure on other consoles to include it. I also think a lot changed because Microsoft is a US corporation when before it was only Japanese consoles. In the other direction I don't think we would have all of this Kinect/Move junk etc if it wasn't for the Wii.

I understand people want the convenience of there only being one console with every game and everyone being on it, but it is a bad idea.

Microsoft did handle this horribly, but I'm nervous about what the overwhelming negativity and one sidedness is going to do to gaming overall. I think some people are making honest observations but it's obvious some people decided beforehand because they want one to really beat the other and they need to be careful what they push for. To be fair I have both and like both.

Actually what I hope we see is an example of what I'm talking about, if Microsoft is forced to backtrack because of the pressure from PS4. Look at it in reverse, what if XBOX came out with all this ridiculous stuff but there was no PS4 option.
Bingo! I don't have a horse in the race, but I did recently get a Nokia 920, which is a Windows Phone, and it's great for Apple and Android to have a viable competitor. WP8 will probably never reach the level of Apple or Android, but it is notably different and it does introduce some features not present in the other two. And I guarantee you Apple and Google are taking note and will incorporate some of the more successful features from WP8 into their own future OSes, which is good for everyone. Competition just makes everything better for us consumers.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
This didn't change anything for me. The PS4 is on pre-order and that's how it will stay.

The change in the decision on used games and stuff is nice but for me it wasn't even the biggest issue. They did nothing, that I've seen, to change their stance on the always on and the kinnect being required and that BS.

Also to me this is the issue. They wanted this stuff to stop trading games and stuff. Now they're taking it away but whats to say a year from now, after the consoles are already bought, that they won't suddenly change policy again and go back to what they wanted all along?

I mean by then people will have already spent their 500 dollars and own the system so M$ probably won't be real worried about them taking it back because they won't get the value for it.

I wouldn't be shocked, in the least, if six months or a year after the Xbox comes out that they change course again and bring back this sharing policy and then prohibit users from sharing games. At that point they'll have people's money so they won't care.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;5103102 said:
This didn't change anything for me. The PS4 is on pre-order and that's how it will stay.

The change in the decision on used games and stuff is nice but for me it wasn't even the biggest issue. They did nothing, that I've seen, to change their stance on the always on and the kinnect being required and that BS.

Also to me this is the issue. They wanted this stuff to stop trading games and stuff. Now they're taking it away but whats to say a year from now, after the consoles are already bought, that they won't suddenly change policy again and go back to what they wanted all along?

I mean by then people will have already spent their 500 dollars and own the system so M$ probably won't be real worried about them taking it back because they won't get the value for it.

I wouldn't be shocked, in the least, if six months or a year after the Xbox comes out that they change course again and bring back this sharing policy and then prohibit users from sharing games. At that point they'll have people's money so they won't care.

Always on is a FEATURE, one I don't understand people being upset about. The 24 hour check-in was removed, so you don't have to be online at all (except the initial setup apparently). And the whining about the kinect spying has gotten ridiculous. Face it towards a wall or throw a sheet on it if you are that paranoid about it.

The only thing that 95% of people, who would be interested in this, have any really legitimate reason to gripe about, is the price (and mabye the used games thing, which was never very clear, had they not dropped that as well).

Derekmtl85

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;5103374 said:
Always on is a FEATURE, one I don't understand people being upset about. The 24 hour check-in was removed, so you don't have to be online at all (except the initial setup apparently). And the whining about the kinect spying has gotten ridiculous. Face it towards a wall or throw a sheet on it if you are that paranoid about it.

The only thing that 95% of people, who would be interested in this, have any really legitimate reason to gripe about, is the price (and mabye the used games thing, which was never very clear, had they not dropped that as well).

Xbox is stupid for not releasing a version without it, privacy in this day and age is a huge issue, and they did not help themselves.

The fact it can still pick up your voice when your xbox is completely off, will freak some people out. Rightfully so too, considering that Microsoft just signed up with the GOVT to give them all the info they ever want about their clients.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ChldsPlay;5103374 said:

They tried to get away with complete control and failed.

And now they will be the ones who pay.

With millions in lost sales and customer loyalty lost and ultimately with their jobs.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
I'm still sticking to PS4. Cheaper, no kinect, and they took a stand for gamers on digital rights policies.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am not getting either one for now. Will just stick with the 360 until games are no longer being made. Once all the issues and bugs are worked out of xbox one, then I might consider getting it.

Nomad

Reaction score
It's better they changed it, but what is interesting is that along with the backtracking we lost some features that had the potential to maybe be cool. Like being able to purchase a game in-store, install it with the disc and then play without the disc but have all the DRM stuff. Now it's back to either have the disc in while playing or download it. Both systems will have day of release downloads so that's cool, but gamestop was probably better off when everyone still came in and bought the disc. (I haven't decided if I like having a physical copy of the game more or having everything loaded on the HD) They were also supposedly going to have some type of shared game library but it was never fully explained well.

I don't know, ultimately keeping things status quo is better because that is what everyone is used to and it got too complicated, and all the DRM stuff wasn't worth the other minor conveniences.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Nomad;5103421 said:
It's better they changed it, but what is interesting is that along with the backtracking we lost some features that had the potential to maybe be cool. Like being able to purchase a game in-store, install it with the disc and then play without the disc but have all the DRM stuff. Now it's back to either have the disc in while playing or download it. Both systems will have day of release downloads so that's cool, but gamestop was probably better off when everyone still came in and bought the disc. (I haven't decided if I like having a physical copy of the game more or having everything loaded on the HD) They were also supposedly going to have some type of shared game library but it was never fully explained well.

I don't know, ultimately keeping things status quo is better because that is what everyone is used to and it got too complicated, and all the DRM stuff wasn't worth the other minor conveniences.

One aspect I'm not sure if they will still have or not is the ability to add people to your "family" and allow them to play games that you have downloaded.

That sounded pretty cool to me so we'll see how it shakes out.