Young's handlers aren't handling their business

joseephuss

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Please show me which Drafts Jerry has moved up in during his time here so he could take a Texas player to sell jerseys.

Even one.........

The closest I can see is the year he drafted Wayne McGarity. Jerry didn't move up to get him, but the reality is that he reached for McGarity. I think Wayne could have been had as an undrafted free agent. I think they reached a round too soon for Dat Nguyen that year as well. A UT and an A&M player in the same draft with back to back picks. Some t-shirt considerations may be there, but other than that, Jerry doesn't work that way.

kartr

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I just believe that it benefits QB's to stay in school more so than any other position. There were some stats shown a few months back to support it and I just agree with it. It showed more QB's don't make it when they come out early compared to those who stayed. Maybe it is a mature factor considering the QB position takes on the role of a leader unlike other position on a football team.

That's a fair point, and I do believe that in most cases, qb's should stay for 4 years, but those stats don't take into consideration that the team the top qb's go to are usually badly managed teams with poor supporting casts. Had Montana gone to the Bengals, his might have been a very different story. I think that's why Elway didn't want to go to the Colts or Manning to the Chargers and even Dorsett didn't want to go to the Seahawks.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In fairness I will say I like Young he has a certain coolness about him is critical situations, you don't see him panic and I think that does influence players on your team when you see your QB keeping it together. I like his athletic ability but as a big fan of the Horns I have seen him miss guys so wide open on what should have been an easy pass way too often. I wish him the best in the Pros but I'll still think he would be better served and give himself a better chance by staying the 1 extra year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
The closest I can see is the year he drafted Wayne McGarity. Jerry didn't move up to get him, but the reality is that he reached for McGarity. I think Wayne could have been had as an undrafted free agent. I think they reached a round too soon for Dat Nguyen that year as well. A UT and an A&M player in the same draft with back to back picks. Some t-shirt considerations may be there, but other than that, Jerry doesn't work that way.
He wasn't a 1st round pick and he sure wasn't a top 5 pick.

Jerry moved up one time that I can think of. To take Rocket Ismail, then he went to Canada, so he took Russell Maryland instead.

He has never moved up to "sell jerseys." He owns the damn Dallas Cowboys. Jerseys are going to sell.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kartr said:
That's a fair point, and I do believe that in most cases, qb's should stay for 4 years, but those stats don't take into consideration that the team the top qb's go to are usually badly managed teams with poor supporting casts. Had Montana gone to the Bengals, his might have been a very different story. I think that's why Elway didn't want to go to the Colts or Manning to the Chargers and even Dorsett didn't want to go to the Seahawks.

Let me say I like Vince Young and that is why I want him to stay because in the end I think it would be the best thing for him. If I did not like him I would not give a rats rear end what he did.

joseephuss

Reaction score
kartr said:
Then you must be psychic to make that assessment cause a lot of the scouts don't like Leinart's physical tools. They understand that Young will need more time, but let me remind you, Leinart is a 5th year SR, while Young was a red-shirt junior this year. Leinart is two years older and has more experience and had 2 first round RB's in the backfield with him, along with the better receiving core and TE. If Young can beat Leinart in his own backyard under those circumstances, then logically, wouldn't you think that Young could be just as successful if not moreso in the pros.

Leinart born May 11, 1983
Young born May 18, 1983

kartr

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Did you say the specific words racist handlers? No, but...

The guy you're referring to didn't need NFL Europe and only did drugs because his handlers were too stupid to realize he was the right guy for the job, but didn't want him because he didn't sell enough jersey's to the right people.

You're pretty simple if you think that's why he did drugs. He knew his career was over when they lied to him about not drafting another qb or bringing in a veteran. He knew he was going to wind up on the same scrap as Tony Banks and Jeff Blake, and wouldn't be given another chance to start, drugs or no drugs. He knew they were going to stick him behind Vinny/Drew and when his contract was up after 2005, no one would give him a chance to start, drugs or not, that's why David Garrard resigned with Jacksonville. He understands whats going on in the NFL with the qb situation. It's the same reason that Jay Cutler is more popular than Omar Jacobs, even though Jacobs is clearly more polished.

We aren't stupid, your accusation is blatant.

I'm not a mind reader, but there are still some people who have those kinds of views, so I have to go by their actions, not by what they say they believe. But if you have a good explanation about Jacobs and Blake that indicates a different perspective, I'd be glad to here it. Not to mention why so many here are anti-Vince Young despite him being among the highest rated passers in college football this year and beating a team with 2 heisman trophy winners on it and 2 first round rbs and top notch receivers.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kartr said:
I'm not a mind reader, but there are still some people who have those kinds of views, so I have to go by their actions, not by what they say they believe. But if you have a good explanation about Jacobs and Blake that indicates a different perspective, I'd be glad to here it. Not to mention why so many here are anti-Vince Young despite him being among the highest rated passers in college football this year and beating a team with 2 heisman trophy winners on it and 2 first round rbs and top notch receivers.
I hate USC, but let's be fair. Vince Young did not beat 2 Heisman Trophy Winners, 2 first round RBs, and top notch receivers.

USC's offense and Texas' offense were never on the field at the same time facing each other.

Texas beat USC. Vince Young was a huge reason why.

kartr

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Texas beat USC it was not Young vs Leinart. Leinart in his own right put up fantastic numbers in that game aginst a Texas defense that was much better than the USC defense. You logic is flawed big time

But didn't Tom Brady beat the Colts, the Rams, the Panthers,the Eagles. Don't those tv guys always say, this is all about Manning, this is all about Hasselbeck, this is all about Brady, yada, yada,yada and Joe Montana too. Never mind that those teams had top 5 defenses. Never mind that Leinart had the greater supporting cast on offense, either.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kartr said:
But didn't Tom Brady beat the Colts, the Rams, the Panthers,the Eagles. Don't those tv guys always say, this is all about Manning, this is all about Hasselbeck, this is all about Brady, yada, yada,yada and Joe Montana too. Never mind that those teams had top 5 defenses. Never mind that Leinart had the greater supporting cast on offense, either.

No NE did. Brady was a big part of it but so many others played a part in it. No QB ever won jack alone it does not happen except in your little world. Most coaches will tell you the QB gets to much credit for wins and too much blame for loses. Football is a team sport not an individual contest. As for Leinart and his supporting cast they were great and a big reason why they played in the last 3 National Championship games but try and understand Texas also has a lot of talent on that team as well and some of them will be 1st rd and day 1 picks as well

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
kartr said:
:hammer:

kartr

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Please show me which Drafts Jerry has moved up in during his time here so he could take a Texas player to sell jerseys.

Even one.........

You can't be that dense. Bledsoe doesn't have much time left and the qb's behind him are jokes. Young wouldn't just sell jerseys to UT fans, he's a legitmate first round qb who has improved every year in college. Jerry doesn't just want a franchise qb, he wants one that will sell to the public at large. He wants to win and make money, what's so hard to understand about that, he is a business too.

kartr

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I'm more than assuming I'll promise you he is not coming to Dallas care to put what little reputation you have on the line here? I certainly will. In 3 inch letters "100% Vince Young is not going to be drafted by Dallas"

You're shouting at me, which indicates anger at the suggestion that we might get Young in the draft. Since he's one of the best in the draft, why wouldn't you want him. HMMMMM.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kartr said:
You can't be that dense. Bledsoe doesn't have much time left and the qb's behind him are jokes. Young wouldn't just sell jerseys to UT fans, he's a legitmate first round qb who has improved every year in college. Jerry doesn't just want a franchise qb, he wants one that will sell to the public at large. He wants to win and make money, what's so hard to understand about that, he is a business too.
You can't be this dense.

The Dallas Cowboys make money. They don't need a gimmick to do it. They don't need a home state guy to do it. They don't need a QB to do it.

Like I said, show me his penchant for doing this because that was your contention. Show me the Longhorn, Aggie, or Red Raider that he traded up to go get so he could sell jerseys and tickets.

You got nothing...as usual.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
kartr said:
Bledsoe, as a pocket passer is still trying to learn to throw the ball away if his receivers aren't open after 13 years.

Wow, if a receiver can't get open after 13 years, he should not even be playing in the NFL! :eek:

A good reciever should at least be open in a few seconds or so, but 13 years! :confused:

kartr

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
ummmm...a red shirt junior is a 4th year player, so there's only 1 year of difference in college between the two. The huge difference is that Leinart has an extra year of seasoning, reading defenses, and refining his skills in competitive situations as opposed to trying to refine his skills on the bench in the NFL.

There's nothing wrong with YOung coming out early, but even the most successful QB to ever come out early would still have been more ready for that first year if he'd had another year of experience....that's just common sense.

Of course and I said that too, but some people here seem to be upset that Young is coming out early. Where is the common sense in that attitude?

kartr

Reaction score
iceberg said:
and maybe you're just hoping there's a lot of racist people out there to help excuse failures.

Huh! What are you talking about?:laugh2:

blindzebra

Reaction score
What I don't get is here is Kartr implying that the powers that be in Dallas ran off Carter because he was black and couldn't sell jerseys to all the racist Cowboys fans.

Now we are to believe that these very same people in charge are going to trade up for a BLACK QB in order to SELL JERSEYS.

Someone, anyone, want to explain that logic to me.:bang2: