Twitter: Zeke's last 40 carries = 74 yards

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I genuinely applaud our staff for appropriately using Pollard far more in last night's matchup. It wasn't long ago that players like Zeke ($$$) and Kelvin Joseph (high draft pick) would be automatically inserted into larger roles because of their salary or draft status. I don't think McCarthy gets enough credit to forcing this change with the Cowboys -- because it certainly isn't inherent to how the Cowboys liked to do business generally.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No more treads on his tires. I was hoping his poor play down the stretch of the regular season was just him saving himself for the playoffs, but he still looked washed last night.

Washington and Tampa both have very stout interior defenses and the Titans have one of the best run defenses in the league. Pollard averaged 2.7 against the Commanders and didn't play against Tennessee.

Pollard should clearly be the lead dog, especially against teams with strong interior DLs, but I don't think Elliott's lack of success the last few weeks is due to anything more than the defenses we've faced.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Well he's had 31 carries over the last 3 games for 115 yards. So add whatever he got over his last 9 carries of the Jaguars game where he averaged 3.9 a carry.

About twice as many yards as Zeke.

The entire run game is struggling but Ezekiel Elliott exacerbates it.
Pollard didn't play against the Titans, though, and they have the top run defense in the league. The bad news for us is that San Fran has the second-best run defense.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I genuinely applaud our staff for appropriately using Pollard far more in last night's matchup. It wasn't long ago that players like Zeke ($$$) and Kelvin Joseph (high draft pick) would be automatically inserted into larger roles because of their salary or draft status. I don't think McCarthy gets enough credit to forcing this change with the Cowboys -- because it certainly isn't inherent to how the Cowboys liked to do business generally.

This right here

RonWashington

Reaction score
At the risk of hurting feelings the heck with it wouldn’t mind seeing Malik Davis grab some carry’s off the shelf . He’s liable to bust into the 49ers secondary and deliver the hit . 7 yards later .

gimmesix

Reaction score
Just to say something positive concerning Elliott: When he picked up a third-and-1 early in the second quarter on our second TD drive, Buck announced that he was now 13 of 15 on picking up third-and-1. Not sure what Pollard's numbers are on those, but obviously our tendency is to go with the bruiser in those situations. I think he had at least one more later in the game, but also got stopped at the goal line on third down, so not sure what his numbers are now.

Motorola

Reaction score
I would love this and would be an appropriate for one of the best Cowboys in the last 20 years. Im selfishly hoping he’ll retire rather than dawn another jersey, but sadly his time here is over after this year
Cowboys win the league championship...wouldn't surprise me if Zeke hangs them up after the celebration parade.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Just to say something positive concerning Elliott: When he picked up a third-and-1 early in the second quarter on our second TD drive, Buck announced that he was now 13 of 15 on picking up third-and-1. Not sure what Pollard's numbers are on those, but obviously our tendency is to go with the bruiser in those situations. I think he had at least one more later in the game, but also got stopped at the goal line on third down, so not sure what his numbers are now.
Rewatching the game and it was on the next drive that he also picked up a third-and-1. His next carry after being stopped on third-and-1 from the 1.

DanA

Reaction score
His base salary isn’t guaranteed so you’ve got to consider cutting him at the end of the season. Until then though he’s got a big role to play.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
looks really bad, but he's used on short yardage every time. no doubt he would not have the same numbers as pollard, but it would not be this bad if he didn't take on that role.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Do y’all remember when RonaldT24 was heeeehawing like a donkey when Pollard averaged like 1.9 YPC during a game while Zeke averaged like 2.9?

Zeke is dunzo.