Zoners: An APOLOGY is required today!

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
slomoxn;3095889 said:
I'm more than positive Campo and Newman handled it between themselves and/or the lockerroom. We honestly need to quit worrying about their locker room and how they handle a situation like that. I haven't played football in more than 20 years but I remember the heat of battle and it could have happened to anyone. So saying I wouldn't have done that really dont know cause they aren't there. Plenty of times I have looked at situations and wondered how I would have responded but at my current age and experience i have found out I can't walk in someone else's shoes till I take mine off and put theirs on. He made a mistake so let THEM move on were not TNew or Campo. None of our business so let them be men and deal with it on their own terms. I often wish the stars and such would start their own rag paper and papparazi mag and have normal people followed around and their daily lives and jobs reported just to see how great they really are. Boy all the skeletons falling out of the closet would be collasal.

Perfectly stated!

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
iceberg;3095895 said:
except the the sidelines are an "office" of the players. sure they get to watch but that doesn't give them "national enquierer" type access to eveything that goes on.

so newman and campo butted heads.

GOOD.

now chill out everyone and let them get back to work. i'm not into the public/private part of the sidelines, i just don't think players / owners should have to cater to every fans whim of what THEY feel is right and wrong when obviously THEY'RE not considering other "whims" as well.

In large measure I agree except for the fact that this was done in public, everyone saw it and if should be addressed publicly, not for the "fans" sake but for the good of the younger players and for kids watching the pros.

I am sure this is done and over with as far as the Cowboys are concerned as it should be.

But there are Pop Warner kids watching them and taking many of their ques from them.

As a former player (HS) and coach I know these kids emulate what they see the pros do.

For that reason alone I think he should apologize publicly.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3095918 said:
In large measure I agree except for the fact that this was done in public, everyone saw it and if should be addressed publicly, not for the "fans" sake but for the good of the younger players and for kids watching the pros.

I am sure this is done and over with as far as the Cowboys are concerned as it should be.

But there are Pop Warner kids watching them and taking many of their ques from them.

As a former player (HS) and coach I know these kids emulate what they see the pros do.

For that reason alone I think he should apologize publicly.

do you know exactly what was said and why?

i've yet to see it, so i can't tell you WHAT they should do. but based on a couple of people getting emotional at an emotional time...

do you do it? i know i do. it happens and it will GASP - happen again.

no need to apologize. if they need to talk it out that's between them and buying a ticket at any outrageous price doesn't buy you more than the ability to watch the game.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Hostile;3095814 said:
... trying to shove hot butter up an unchained, rabid wildcat's butt with a hot poker under a July Death Valley sun ...

????? Gracious, where did that come from?

I can't believe we are still talking about this. To me this is a non-issue.

This is not like the biology teacher pushed the history teacher in the teachers lounge. :laugh2:

This is the NFL !!

This was no more than a man responding to another man up in his face that put his hands on him, (which Campo should have never done, but is no big deal that he did) Newman just responded by extending his own arms as if to say, "whoa, get out of my face, .. or back off".

He didn't "shove" him.

If Newman had wanted to "shove" Campo, the back of Campo's head would have been the first thing to hit the ground.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
iceberg;3095929 said:
do you know exactly what was said and why?

i've yet to see it, so i can't tell you WHAT they should do. but based on a couple of people getting emotional at an emotional time...

do you do it? i know i do. it happens and it will GASP - happen again.

no need to apologize. if they need to talk it out that's between them and buying a ticket at any outrageous price doesn't buy you more than the ability to watch the game.

Sure. It happens to all of us from time to time. I didn't say we had to keep it in check all the time.

But when I do react that way and my kids or any kids are around, I apologize for my part in the issue and let them know that it was inappropriate and I was wrong for reacting that way.

Regardless of what anyone says, Charles Barkley included, they are role models whether they wanted to be or not. That's one of the steep and heavy prices you pay for being paid millions upon millions of dollars to play a kids game.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3095941 said:
Sure. It happens to all of us from time to time. I didn't say we had to keep it in check all the time.

But when I do react that way and my kids or any kids are around, I apologize for my part in the issue and let them know that it was inappropriate and I was wrong for reacting that way.

Regardless of what anyone says, Charles Barkley included, they are role models whether they wanted to be or not. That's one of the steep and heavy prices you pay for being paid millions upon millions of dollars to play a kids game.

and do you rent the local school gym and make it a big formal event or do you pull those aside who are aware of the situation and talk it over with them?

we don't know the details of the argument, but we know how to fix it.

sorry, my mind doesn't work that way. let them handle it in private and i'll teach kids around me it's ok to work things out with someone else and NOT have the entire world be a part of it.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I gotta go with no public apology. Would be an absolute disaster in the football world. This isn't some scripted reality show for God's sake.

Besides............tyke got it right. Newman just grabbed Campo's arms AFTER Campo belly bumped Newman. Newman was trying to keep Campo physically off of him.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile;3095757 said:
I'll tell you what, ask only the guys on this forum who played at least college ball where because of media scrutiny you have to protect the team image. I bet none of them will agree with your assessment of the sidelines as public and none of them will think a public apology is necessary. Cameras travel down to the sidelines. Can the common man wander down there? Or is that a private, restricted, area?

adbutcher
jterrell
DallasCowpoke
scottsp

Those are a few you could ask. If they disagree with me, I'll eat crow.

Here are some NFL examples who done the right thing after doing wrong in a public environment:

Saying he was embarrassed and that he has to control himself, Chicago Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris apologized Monday for throwing a punch at Arizona Cardinals offensive lineman Deuce Lutui.

Harris was ejected on the fourth play from scrimmage of Sunday's game after he and Lutui wound up on the ground on a run play. Harris apologized to teammates, Bears fans and to Lutui.

"I was embarrassed, especially for my actions," Harris said. "I apologized to him yesterday, called Larry (Fitzgerald) and had a chance to apologize to him. I just wanted to apologize to my fans first off, and the little kids out there that saw that action. I shouldn't have behaved in that manner, and I apologized to my teammates, and I'll make up for it."

Joey Porter is tough enough to take on anybody, and smart enough to know when he’s wrong.

Porter personally apologized to Dolphins coach Tony Sparano for refusing to leave the closing minutes of Sunday’s 48-28 loss to the Patriots after he drew 15-yard penalties on back-to-back plays.

Not only did Porter apologize to Sparano, he apologized to the rest of his Dolphins teammates as well. Porter knows that what he did Sunday was wrong and he tried to take responsibility for it after the fact.

Porter earned an unnecessary roughness penalty on one play, an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the next, and the attention of Sparano. When Sparano tried to replace Porter with Charlie Anderson, Porter waved off Anderson in an act of insubordination to his coach.

It’s always possible there could be further repurcussions from the team or the league. But Sparano has said these matters stay within the team, that’s it. But both sides are attempting to put the incident behind them and focus on Sunday’s game at St. Louis.

NEW YORK - Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams is making a friendlier gesture to the Buffalo Bills one week after his obscene hand sign to fans of the team earned him a hefty fine.

A full-page ad on the back of Sunday's Buffalo News says, "We wish the Bills and their fans good luck today and for the remainder of the season." Adams' name is printed below.

The NFL fined Adams $250,000 last Monday for obscene gestures he made at Buffalo fans a day earlier while celebrating the Titans' 41-17 victory.
"I do realize that those types of things shouldn't happen," Adams said in that statement. "I need to specifically apologize to the Bills, their fans, our fans and the NFL. I obviously have a great deal of respect for Ralph Wilson and the history we have shared."

Players have been fined for the NFL for making this same gesture that Adams made. San Francisco kicker Joe Nedney was fined $7,500 in October 2007, and Michael Vick was fined $10,000 and donated $10,000 to charity in 2006 while playing in Atlanta.

"The league holds us as players to a higher standard, so to have an owner flip the bird not once but twice the league has to hold him to the same standard if not more," Bills safety George Wilson said Monday before news of the fine. "He's at the top of the hierarchy. If you don't hold him accountable, then you're questioning the integrity of the system."
Sanchez apologizes for his sideline hot dog
Source profootballtalk.com. 28 days 2 hrs 34 mins ago.

I had to pause the Week Seven Morning Aftermath, a game-by-game look at every Sunday contest, to comment on the news that Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez was eating a hot dog on the sideline during Sunday's 38-0 win over the...
The Associated Press reports Dre' Bly took Mike Singletary's usual spot at the podium in a team meeting room and apologized. Profusely. His coach watched the whole thing.

Bly embarrassed himself and the 49ers during Sunday's 45-10 home loss to the Atlanta Falcons when he intercepted a pass by Matt Ryan in the third quarter and struck a Deion Sanders-like pose with his right hand to his helmet and the ball unprotected in his left. Problem was, Roddy White knocked the ball loose and Atlanta, leading 35-10 at the time, recovered. The Falcons marched downfield and quickly scored again.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
iceberg;3095950 said:
and do you rent the local school gym and make it a big formal event or do you pull those aside who are aware of the situation and talk it over with them?

we don't know the details of the argument, but we know how to fix it.

sorry, my mind doesn't work that way. let them handle it in private and i'll teach kids around me it's ok to work things out with someone else and NOT have the entire world be a part of it.

I do it in the venue in which it was viewed if possible. So if was done in public then that's the way to handle it. If only a few saw it, I would address it with them that way.

Obviously, this cannot be done that way.

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3095518 said:
what he needs to do if needs to be done, is for newman to apologize in front of the team in the locker room, where no media is etc. Then, you let it go. Hopefully, newman learns from it.

Yep.

I also think Newman should be forced to pay about $10,000 to his favorite charity, and it's done. The only thing that should be said to the media is that it was handled internally, it's over with and we are moving on to the Raiders.

By making it public, all you are doing is feeding the Ed Werder's of the world. We don't need that. Not when we are heading into the home stretch.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;3095996 said:
Here are some NFL examples who done the right thing after doing wrong in a public environment:

Saying he was embarrassed and that he has to control himself, Chicago Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris apologized Monday for throwing a punch at Arizona Cardinals offensive lineman Deuce Lutui.

Harris was ejected on the fourth play from scrimmage of Sunday's game after he and Lutui wound up on the ground on a run play. Harris apologized to teammates, Bears fans and to Lutui.

"I was embarrassed, especially for my actions," Harris said. "I apologized to him yesterday, called Larry (Fitzgerald) and had a chance to apologize to him. I just wanted to apologize to my fans first off, and the little kids out there that saw that action. I shouldn't have behaved in that manner, and I apologized to my teammates, and I'll make up for it."

Joey Porter is tough enough to take on anybody, and smart enough to know when he’s wrong.

Porter personally apologized to Dolphins coach Tony Sparano for refusing to leave the closing minutes of Sunday’s 48-28 loss to the Patriots after he drew 15-yard penalties on back-to-back plays.

Not only did Porter apologize to Sparano, he apologized to the rest of his Dolphins teammates as well. Porter knows that what he did Sunday was wrong and he tried to take responsibility for it after the fact.

Porter earned an unnecessary roughness penalty on one play, an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the next, and the attention of Sparano. When Sparano tried to replace Porter with Charlie Anderson, Porter waved off Anderson in an act of insubordination to his coach.

It’s always possible there could be further repurcussions from the team or the league. But Sparano has said these matters stay within the team, that’s it. But both sides are attempting to put the incident behind them and focus on Sunday’s game at St. Louis.

NEW YORK - Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams is making a friendlier gesture to the Buffalo Bills one week after his obscene hand sign to fans of the team earned him a hefty fine.

A full-page ad on the back of Sunday's Buffalo News says, "We wish the Bills and their fans good luck today and for the remainder of the season." Adams' name is printed below.

The NFL fined Adams $250,000 last Monday for obscene gestures he made at Buffalo fans a day earlier while celebrating the Titans' 41-17 victory.
"I do realize that those types of things shouldn't happen," Adams said in that statement. "I need to specifically apologize to the Bills, their fans, our fans and the NFL. I obviously have a great deal of respect for Ralph Wilson and the history we have shared."

Players have been fined for the NFL for making this same gesture that Adams made. San Francisco kicker Joe Nedney was fined $7,500 in October 2007, and Michael Vick was fined $10,000 and donated $10,000 to charity in 2006 while playing in Atlanta.

"The league holds us as players to a higher standard, so to have an owner flip the bird not once but twice the league has to hold him to the same standard if not more," Bills safety George Wilson said Monday before news of the fine. "He's at the top of the hierarchy. If you don't hold him accountable, then you're questioning the integrity of the system."
Sanchez apologizes for his sideline hot dog
Source profootballtalk.com. 28 days 2 hrs 34 mins ago.

I had to pause the Week Seven Morning Aftermath, a game-by-game look at every Sunday contest, to comment on the news that Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez was eating a hot dog on the sideline during Sunday's 38-0 win over the...
The Associated Press reports Dre' Bly took Mike Singletary's usual spot at the podium in a team meeting room and apologized. Profusely. His coach watched the whole thing.

Bly embarrassed himself and the 49ers during Sunday's 45-10 home loss to the Atlanta Falcons when he intercepted a pass by Matt Ryan in the third quarter and struck a Deion Sanders-like pose with his right hand to his helmet and the ball unprotected in his left. Problem was, Roddy White knocked the ball loose and Atlanta, leading 35-10 at the time, recovered. The Falcons marched downfield and quickly scored again.

Sorry CC. Apples and oranges...................I understand your point but in house would be sufficient. My son saw it and I explained the situation. Do's and Dont's etc.

irishline

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3095707 said:
Yes, Campo did put his hands on Newman, but Newman had no right to shove his Coach.

I'm not sticking up for what Newman did but this is just laughable. So Newman had no right to shove his coach but his coach had the right to grab him? If you made a mistake at work and your boss grabbed you like that you would think its ok? As someone who manages quite a few people I'm more than certain if I did that to someone who worked for me, I'd be in just as much trouble as the employee that shoved me (in fact probably more so). Let's not act as if only one of them did something they probably shouldn't have. Both made mistakes there, and as has been said many times in this thread, it happened between two grown men and the apology should stay between them.

Doomsay

Reaction score
It is a public place by definition, the public and TV cameras can see everything on the field including the sidelines. No different than misbehaving on the filed, other than a reduced probability of penalty incurrence.

But, no public apology needed. Even though Newman was insubordinate in public, he should only apologize to the coach and perhaps his teammates. He should be punished by the team, it wasn't one angry comment in passing, he maintained his engagement with Campo for more than a few seconds despite efforts by team members to pull them apart.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
tyke1doe;3095516 said:
Yesterday, I was very critical of Newman. But having re-examined the play, even though Newman shouldn't have done what he did, he was merely shoving Campo's hands away from him. Saying he shoved, as in pushed, Campo isn't quite accurate.
That's the way I saw it, also. I never saw an actual shove from Newman, just him brushing Camps hands away. Let them work it out as men and be done with it, I think this situation has been overblown and hopefully, they're past it and focused on Turkey day...

Crad|e

Reaction score
Don't use Newman's name in the same sentence as Jenkins, k thanks.