Zoners: An APOLOGY is required today!

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
adbutcher;3096569 said:
I am loving Wade's presser about the Campo/Newman incident.

Yes, .. thank you Wade, .. as I said yesterday, this is a non-issue.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3096640 said:
What did he say?

He essentially said what I said earlier. On the sidelines you might see Players v Players, Coaches V Players, or Coaches V Coaches. It is normal and it takes place on all levels of football.

He also, said that the reporters are reporting from a source of ignorance and trying to make something out of nothing.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3096640 said:
What did he say?

Basically told the press they don't know what is going on, that what they think they saw may not be what actually happened.

He said you don't know the situation, and are misinformed.

He said things like this happen every week to many teams.

No big deal.

Someone said Jerry actually liked it, and he kinda smiled and said, "I agree with whatever Jerry said".

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
You know I have gone back and forth in my opinion on this. At first I thought it wasn't that big of a deal, they are both grown men, it happens, blah blah.

Then I thought back to when I played, whether it was in HS or not.

There were a couple of times I held and got called on it, or false started, etc. And my offensive coordinator (former OL coach for Kansas State) berated me in front of my teammates, and said some pretty intense stuff.

I wanted nothing more than to clock him in his face, but I realize now that it was pure respect, and I would NEVER so much as touch him. You don't do that to your coach. Just like you wouldnt to your mother, your teacher, etc.

It shouldn't of happened and he definitely should be held accountable.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Dawgs0916;3096651 said:
You know I have gone back and forth in my opinion on this. At first I thought it wasn't that big of a deal, they are both grown men, it happens, blah blah.

Then I thought back to when I played, whether it was in HS or not.

There were a couple of times I held and got called on it, or false started, etc. And my offensive coordinator (former OL coach for Kansas State) berated me in front of my teammates, and said some pretty intense stuff.

I wanted nothing more than to clock him in his face, but I realize now that it was pure respect, and I would NEVER so much as touch him. You don't do that to your coach. Just like you wouldnt to your mother, your teacher, etc.

It shouldn't of happened and he definitely should be held accountable.

Did I miss something? Did Newman clock Campo? The relationship between a high schooler and his coach is way different then two grown men charged up in a intense situation. Poor. poor analogy in my opinion.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Thats why I said right at the start, my initial reaction was no big deal, they are grown men.

A relationship between player and coach, shouldn't change, no matter what the age level. That was my point.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3096649 said:
Basically told the press they don't know what is going on, that what they think they saw may not be what actually happened.

He said you don't know the situation, and are misinformed.

He said things like this happen every week to many teams.

No big deal.

Someone said Jerry actually liked it, and he kinda smiled and said, "I agree with whatever Jerry said".

Everyone has given their own opinions on this, .. but now we know that there will be no fine and no apology is expected.

It is over, or should I say, .. it never was.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3095864 said:
I have to disagree Hos. The stadium it self is a public venue. Only areas that are hidden can be considered private.

Suppose a player on a sideline flipped the bird to the fans or someone else on the field? Would that be something they should apologize for? It's public because it is open viewing. Just because you can't have physical access doesn't mean it isn't public.

As for flipping the bird, I am reminded that the Titans owner fliped the bird to the Buffalo fans and was fined 1/4 mil for it. AND he apologized for it. And that was in a so called restricted area.

I think there is a difference between a private area and a restricted area.

Just my 2 cents. Spend it wisely. :D
I didn't say the sidelines are private. I said they aren't public. Nothing good every comes of picking at this stuff. The two men involved say it is over. The fans ought to respect that. So should the media. They won't if an apology is demanded. They will pick at ti until it bleeds. We don't need no stinking bleeding.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;3095996 said:
Here are some NFL examples who done the right thing after doing wrong in a public environment:

Saying he was embarrassed and that he has to control himself, Chicago Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris apologized Monday for throwing a punch at Arizona Cardinals offensive lineman Deuce Lutui.

Harris was ejected on the fourth play from scrimmage of Sunday's game after he and Lutui wound up on the ground on a run play. Harris apologized to teammates, Bears fans and to Lutui.

"I was embarrassed, especially for my actions," Harris said. "I apologized to him yesterday, called Larry (Fitzgerald) and had a chance to apologize to him. I just wanted to apologize to my fans first off, and the little kids out there that saw that action. I shouldn't have behaved in that manner, and I apologized to my teammates, and I'll make up for it."

Joey Porter is tough enough to take on anybody, and smart enough to know when he’s wrong.

Porter personally apologized to Dolphins coach Tony Sparano for refusing to leave the closing minutes of Sunday’s 48-28 loss to the Patriots after he drew 15-yard penalties on back-to-back plays.

Not only did Porter apologize to Sparano, he apologized to the rest of his Dolphins teammates as well. Porter knows that what he did Sunday was wrong and he tried to take responsibility for it after the fact.

Porter earned an unnecessary roughness penalty on one play, an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the next, and the attention of Sparano. When Sparano tried to replace Porter with Charlie Anderson, Porter waved off Anderson in an act of insubordination to his coach.

It’s always possible there could be further repurcussions from the team or the league. But Sparano has said these matters stay within the team, that’s it. But both sides are attempting to put the incident behind them and focus on Sunday’s game at St. Louis.

NEW YORK - Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams is making a friendlier gesture to the Buffalo Bills one week after his obscene hand sign to fans of the team earned him a hefty fine.

A full-page ad on the back of Sunday's Buffalo News says, "We wish the Bills and their fans good luck today and for the remainder of the season." Adams' name is printed below.

The NFL fined Adams $250,000 last Monday for obscene gestures he made at Buffalo fans a day earlier while celebrating the Titans' 41-17 victory.
"I do realize that those types of things shouldn't happen," Adams said in that statement. "I need to specifically apologize to the Bills, their fans, our fans and the NFL. I obviously have a great deal of respect for Ralph Wilson and the history we have shared."

Players have been fined for the NFL for making this same gesture that Adams made. San Francisco kicker Joe Nedney was fined $7,500 in October 2007, and Michael Vick was fined $10,000 and donated $10,000 to charity in 2006 while playing in Atlanta.

"The league holds us as players to a higher standard, so to have an owner flip the bird not once but twice the league has to hold him to the same standard if not more," Bills safety George Wilson said Monday before news of the fine. "He's at the top of the hierarchy. If you don't hold him accountable, then you're questioning the integrity of the system."
Sanchez apologizes for his sideline hot dog
Source profootballtalk.com. 28 days 2 hrs 34 mins ago.

I had to pause the Week Seven Morning Aftermath, a game-by-game look at every Sunday contest, to comment on the news that Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez was eating a hot dog on the sideline during Sunday's 38-0 win over the...
The Associated Press reports Dre' Bly took Mike Singletary's usual spot at the podium in a team meeting room and apologized. Profusely. His coach watched the whole thing.

Bly embarrassed himself and the 49ers during Sunday's 45-10 home loss to the Atlanta Falcons when he intercepted a pass by Matt Ryan in the third quarter and struck a Deion Sanders-like pose with his right hand to his helmet and the ball unprotected in his left. Problem was, Roddy White knocked the ball loose and Atlanta, leading 35-10 at the time, recovered. The Falcons marched downfield and quickly scored again.
You need a hot poker and some butter. I'll meet you in Death Valley in July and we can try to find a rabid wildcat.

Good luck. I can't wait to watch this.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile;3096795 said:
You need a hot poker and some butter. I'll meet you in Death Valley in July and we can try to find a rabid wildcat.

Good luck. I can't wait to watch this.

lol.......

That was a good one Hos. ;-)

Hey, for what it is worth......I do see your point.

el_chevo

El Serrano
Reaction score
So, let's make both of them apologize. They are both professionals and both acted poorly. In case some of you missed it, Campo got in the face of Newman, slightly bumped the corner, and continued to chew him out. So, I am sure they both worked it out and that is between two grown men. If high schoolers can't figure out the difference between public school officials and paid professional athletes and coaches, then someone needs to let them know...

T-RO

Reaction score
el_chevo;3096820 said:
So, let's make both of them apologize. They are both professionals and both acted poorly...

I bet even Newman himself today would think it's pathetic that you would say this.

It's called chain of command, dude.

Coaches are supposed to challenge their players and knowing Campo it was along the lines of "You are better than this, Terrence. Do your frikkin job!"

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
T-RO;3096860 said:
CrazyCowboy

I agree 100%

Hey,

I appreciate the support very much, however, I am quite sure I am not 100 percent correct on this issue.

But, I like the way you are thinking ;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
T-RO;3096871 said:
I bet even Newman himself today would think it's pathetic that you would say this.

It's called chain of command, dude.

Coaches are supposed to challenge their players and knowing Campo it was along the lines of "You are better than this, Terrence. Do your frikkin job!"

I agree. He is holding Newman accountable for his play. If Newman failed to carry out is assignment then it is the coach’s job to let him know it. This is not personal it is football. Had Newman continued or was pouting I would be concerned but shortly after the blowup they show Newman and the other DB listening to Campo at that point the controversy was over with.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
We've gone too soft as a society. Apologies demanded left and right for nothing. A push? Public apologies are needed over a push when the man who was pushed isn't demanding it? I hate PC nonsense and that is all this is.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;3095487 said:
Zoners:

A certain #41 CB Terrance Newman owes Coach Campo an apology for several reasons. I could not believe he shoved our coach on National TV!

#1 – Newman is supposed to be a professional and leader of our D.

#2 – Newman should set the example to our young CBs (Will Jenkins/Scandrick feel it is A-ok to shove our coaches in the future?:(

#3 – Most important, all High School kids need to hear an apology from Mr. Newman to his coach that even in the heat of battle it is NOT ever OK to disrespect your coach!

What do you Zoners think?
I think Newman did what we ALL wanted to do during Campos HEAD COACHING run with us. I have no problem with what he did.