2012 NBA Offseason Thread

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
MC KAos;4608028 said:
im still not understanding how the mavs had such a deep team but could only muster a 7 seed with one of the top 10 players in the nba. they HAD a deep team 2 years ago, but i think you guys are overrating guys outside of dirk, terry, kidd, and marion.

having said that, i have no doubt that williams and howard have talked, otherwise there would be no reason outside of money for him to even consider staying in brooklyn over going to the mavs

I agree on part 2. We still have a deep team though; it just had a lot of roster turnover in a locked out season. The pieces also didn't fit together as well as they have previously.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
xout;4608098 said:
I think DWill will be a Mav but we will have to amnesty either Haywood or Marion, which sucks. If we can amnesty and then somehow grab Dwight in some sort of a miraculous deal, I will scream for joy.

I would love to amnesty Haywood.

Reaction score
Dwight Trade Talks Begin

bynum-howard.jpg

The Los Angeles Lakers and Orlando Magic have had preliminary contact about a possible deal for All-Star center Dwight Howard, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Dwight Howard is pushing for a trade to Brooklyn, but can the Nets make a deal? (Orlando officials are willing to discuss trades for Howard, and the Lakers have been one of the teams in touch with them over the weekend, sources said. The Brooklyn Nets and Houston Rockets have also talked to Magic officials, sources said.

While the Lakers have yet to make a direct offer, there's no scenario where Orlando would move Howard to the Lakers without getting back Andrew Bynum, L.A.'s 24-year-old All-Star center. Pau Gasol wouldn't fit the Magic's desires to rebuild with young players and draft picks.

The Lakers had been willing to part with Bynum for Howard in March, but those talks ended when Howard decided to decline his early termination option and remain under contract through the 2012-13 season.

The Magic reached out to teams Saturday and told them that they’ll discuss proposals about moving Howard, sources said.

Howard and his agent, Dan Fegan, have repeatedly told the Magic in recent weeks that Howard wants to be moved, and that his preferred destination of the Brooklyn Nets hasn’t changed, sources said.

Nevertheless, time is running out for Howard to be traded to Brooklyn because Nets general manager Billy King has begun to aggressively explore deals for players like Joe Johnson, Luis Scola and O.J. Mayo in an attempt to surround free-agent point guard Deron Williams with more talent. Williams is choosing between the Nets and Dallas Mavericks and could make a decision in the next several days. Sources say Williams' patience with waiting for Howard to eventually come to Brooklyn is wearing out, and that he’s likely to make his decision whether to accept the Nets' five-year, $100 million contract offer devoid of Howard as a factor.

Would only do it if the clown signs an extension. Even then I'm not sure. I really don't think he's much of an upgrade over Drew.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4608446 said:
Would only do it if the clown signs an extension. Even then I'm not sure. I really don't think he's much of an upgrade over Drew.

He would be an upgrade defensively and athletically.

He's making improvements on o but I'd take Drew's o right now.

I don't think he will sign an extension with LA unless they trade Pau for Smith. Smith was real close to being a Laker today but LA wanted another unknown piece with Smith and they declined.

Reaction score
Bulls Sign Asik To Offer Sheet

220px-Omer_Asik.jpg

The Houston Rockets have reached a verbal agreement with Chicago Bulls restricted free agent Omer Asik on a three-year deal worth $25.1 million, according to sources close to the talks.

Asik can't formally sign the deal until July 11, which is the first day new players can sign NBA contracts for the 2012-13 season.

The Bulls will then have three days to decide whether to match the offer or let Asik go.

Bulls general manager Gar Forman has made it clear that one of his top priorities was to re-sign Asik, but the structure of the deal could hurt Chicago's ability to keep him. The Bulls are close to the luxury tax and are wary of wading too deep into that territory.

However, Forman said after the draft on Thursday that the Bulls would be making basketball decisions, not financial ones, in reference to the salary cap.

Adding the 7-foot, 255-pound Turkish native would mark the latest move in what has been a busy offseason for the Rockets and general manager Daryl Morey.

The offensively challenged Asik averaged 3.1 points but pulled down 5.3 boards while averaging 14.7 minutes in the lockout-shortened 2011-12 season.

This is getting comical. :laugh1:

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Dash28;4608541 said:
He would be an upgrade defensively and athletically.

He's making improvements on o but I'd take Drew's o right now.

I don't think he will sign an extension with LA unless they trade Pau for Smith. Smith was real close to being a Laker today but LA wanted another unknown piece with Smith and they declined.

He will extend with LA. All he wants is big market endorsements.

Reaction score
I think I know why Atlanta declined the Lakers offer. Lakers probably asked for Teague. Hawks didn't bite. Mitch needs to stop being a stubborn SOB and just take Williams/Smith. Then get Howard. Sign Jet. Get rid of Blake somehow. Resign Sessions and Hill. Sign Flynn and Lewis to the vets minimum.

Ramon Sessions/Johnny Flynn
Kobe Bryant/Jason Terry
Metta World Peace/Marvin Williams
Josh Smith/Rashard Lewis
Dwight Howard/Jordan Hill

That is a championship caliber team.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Rashard Lewis has maybe the worst contract in all of basketball.

MC KAos

Reaction score
asik's contract might be the winner for worst contract! its still early though!

Reaction score
MC KAos;4608651 said:
asik's contract might be the winner for worst contract! its still early though!

No doubt. In his 3 year (If Bulls don't match) Asik will be earning near maximum money. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I think it's safe to say the lockout accomplished nothing except making our lives very boring during the lockout.

Temo

Reaction score
Omer Asik's contract is good value. He's one of the best interior defenders in the league and huge reason for the Bull's league-leading defense the last two years.

Plus he's a monster rebounder.

Reaction score
Temo;4608680 said:
Omer Asik's contract is good value. He's one of the best interior defenders in the league and huge reason for the Bull's league-leading defense the last two years.

Plus he's a monster rebounder.

He's a decent backup nothing more. Paying him 8 mill is just moronic.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4608688 said:
He's a decent backup nothing more. Paying him 8 mill is just moronic.

It's difficult to say because he was playing little minutes behind Noah. If you look at his per 36 min stats he would be averaging around 13 rebounds and 3 blocks a game. It's a risky contract but he should be starting somewhere.

Reaction score
Dwight Will Only Resign With Nets

Orlando Magic star Dwight Howard told Yahoo! Sports he will not re-sign with a team outside his preferred list that trades for him, and emphatically denied that he ever used the term "blackmail" to describe how Magic officials convinced him to waive his early termination option.

Dwight Howard says he's told the Magic several times he still wants a trade. (Getty Images)As the Los Angeles Lakers, Houston Rockets and other teams prepare possible trade offers for him, Howard told Yahoo! by phone that, "There’s only one team on my list and if I don’t get traded there, I'll play the season out and explore my free agency after that."

Howard wouldn’t specify the team, but multiple league sources believe that it is the Brooklyn Nets.

Howard also denied an ESPN report that he had told people Orlando Magic officials had “blackmailed” him into forgoing the early termination option on his contract that ultimately cost him his free agency this summer.

"I never used the word blackmail in reference to any of my dealings with the Magic," Howard said. “I never said that. It’s defamatory and it’s inaccurate. I know what blackmail means and any report that I used the term incorrectly is inaccurate."

This guy is such a clown. Screw him. Hope he gets traded to the Bobcats. Lakers should just move on from this clown and extend Drew.

Ren

Reaction score
Howard saying he refuses to resign with anyone but the Nets pretty much tells me that Williams is going no where also

MC KAos

Reaction score
Ren;4608861 said:
Howard saying he refuses to resign with anyone but the Nets pretty much tells me that Williams is going no where also

thats my guess, these things arent supposed to be premeditated before the free agency period of each player starts, but you know these guys talk ahead of time, just like the big 3 for the heat did. im wondering if there is any way the nets can get howard AND joe johnson. i think its stupid to go after johnson, as he is probably the most overrated player in the nba (in terms of contract). so unless they are getting him for less than its reported i dont see the advantage, although i guess he is a great third banana

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Well, If the Nets get Joe Johnson they can't even sign Howard. So we'll see.