2012 NBA Offseason Thread

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;4615436 said:
Reality is none of the teams he listed have an amazing bench either. Just a bunch of college and international...almost stars.

Spurs have argurably the best bench in the league. Boston and Oklahoma City have two of the best sixth men in the league in Harden and Terry. Lakers bench is terrible, but when you have four All Stars like they have you don't need a good bench.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4615004 said:
Latest Rumor that I have heard is that the TWolves might be considering trading Kevin Love for Pau Gasol. I don't know if this has any legs to it. I know that Love has made some comments about Minnesota's management and that he is not happy in Minnesota but who knows? Anyhow, that's the latest I've heard.

ROFL. Minny aint taking Gasol for Love and LA has no picks to give up.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4615567 said:
Care to eleborate? Brooklyn would kill their depth with that Howard trade.

Too early to say.

There are tons of quality players left on the market so until rosters fill out we can only know for sure the star-ridden teams will be good. But remember a lot of these superteams take a couple years to really gel and some start out too old and never really gel. (i.e. lakers with malone and glove)

Brooklyn would be intriguing to watch but if the trade happens they've got to hope Howard stays healthy. He is coming off of back surgery. Right now they have DLeague depth at the bigs if the trade goes through.

Recall the Knicks trotted out Carmelo, Stoudamire and Baron Davis on the way to sucksville. They actually won at a higher clip with Carmelo down injured. All-Star teams aren't better than real NBA teams but if you can build a real NBA team around a few superstars you are going to dominate people most nights.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Spurs sign Danny Green 3 yr - 12 million

A very good day in Spursville.

Also, strong rumors that Diaw and Mills are set to re-sign with the Spurs.

Reaction score
jterrell;4615664 said:
Too early to say.

There are tons of quality players left on the market so until rosters fill out we can only know for sure the star-ridden teams will be good. But remember a lot of these superteams take a couple years to really gel and some start out too old and never really gel. (i.e. lakers with malone and glove)

Brooklyn would be intriguing to watch but if the trade happens they've got to hope Howard stays healthy. He is coming off of back surgery. Right now they have DLeague depth at the bigs if the trade goes through.

Recall the Knicks trotted out Carmelo, Stoudamire and Baron Davis on the way to sucksville. They actually won at a higher clip with Carmelo down injured. All-Star teams aren't better than real NBA teams but if you can build a real NBA team around a few superstars you are going to dominate people most nights.

Brooklyn already used their mini MLE. All they have is the vets minimum. Doubt they'll be able to get any decent players with that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4615677 said:
Brooklyn already used their mini MLE. All they have is the vets minimum. Doubt they'll be able to get any decent players with that.

I don't.
As much as I'd like to I just don't. List of guys out there is long and its being widely reported money has dried up. If you gotta tank 1 year why not take one and go win a title.

A guy can be a rotational player and win a title or make a mil more elsewhere....

I will grant if guys can get these 3 or 4 year deals they'll gladly take those first but you gotta take 1.2 mil why not take it but play for a team that will at least get playoff if not title shares and a 50K ring.

The unspoken secret of what Cuban has done is that there really are A LOT of middle of the road guys available. They aren't studs but they can certainly play legit NBA level ball for 20 MPG, especially if on the floor with beasts like Deron and Dwight.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Biggems;4615670 said:
Spurs sign Danny Green 3 yr - 12 million

A very good day in Spursville.

Also, strong rumors that Diaw and Mills are set to re-sign with the Spurs.

Not sure those are good signings after Green. The Spurs aren't good enough to be a true title contender right now. LAL and OKC are CLEARLY better. They "could" be 3rd best in West but the arrow is pointing down if they merely tread water this off-season and watch everyone age.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Rumor is the Hawks are interested in:

OJ Mayo (who I want)
Rashard Lewis(who I dont want)
Anthony Randolph(who I'm on the fence about)

Any thoughts on these guys?

Reaction score
jterrell;4615702 said:
Not sure those are good signings after Green. The Spurs aren't good enough to be a true title contender right now. LAL and OKC are CLEARLY better. They "could" be 3rd best in West but the arrow is pointing down if they merely tread water this off-season and watch everyone age.

The Spurs are every bit as good as OKC and the Lakers. OKC still badly needs a scoring big and the Lakers bench is still awful.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jterrell;4615451 said:
ROFL. Minny aint taking Gasol for Love and LA has no picks to give up.

You don't know that JT but then, I never said they were. The question was asked what rumors and I gave what rumors I'd heard.

MC KAos

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4615949 said:
You don't know that JT but then, I never said they were. The question was asked what rumors and I gave what rumors I'd heard.

there is now way in hell the wolves would do that, they have love locked up for 3 more years, they have time to build around him and rubio, they can wait 2 years and if he wants to leave, trade him then for something really good.

well, then again, their GM is KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHNNNNNNN!!!!

MC KAos

Reaction score
Boris Diaw resigns with Spurs for 2 years 9 million dollars according to Yahoo sports joining Danny Green at 3 yrs 12 mil.

we payed a bit too much for green IMO, but im glad diaw is back, his chemistry with the team was fantastic considering he joined late as a FA! hopefully with a full offseason under his belt he can be back to the phoenix boris diaw by mid season!

spurs will probably do de colo next for about 1 to 1.5 mil a year, then finish the offseason with timmy D and wait and see if they can pick up some minimum vets, like maybe kaman or something

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MC KAos;4615966 said:
there is now way in hell the wolves would do that, they have love locked up for 3 more years, they have time to build around him and rubio, they can wait 2 years and if he wants to leave, trade him then for something really good.

well, then again, their GM is KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHNNNNNNN!!!!

I don't know what the real story is here. I know that Minnesota was the team who originally drove the trade rumors and as early as January of 2012, they were interested in that trade. Now, since then I can't say what they want to do but Love is the one who is driving this thing. He says he wants to play for a contender and so this is what is generating the rumors. I don't think this is what Minnesota wants to do but then again, they may not have much of a choice. If Love demands a trade, they can ignore that but then Love doesn't have to play like an All Star either so it will be interesting to see what happens here.

MC KAos

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4615978 said:
I don't know what the real story is here. I know that Minnesota was the team who originally drove the trade rumors and as early as January of 2012, they were interested in that trade. Now, since then I can't say what they want to do but Love is the one who is driving this thing. He says he wants to play for a contender and so this is what is generating the rumors. I don't think this is what Minnesota wants to do but then again, they may not have much of a choice. If Love demands a trade, they can ignore that but then Love doesn't have to play like an All Star either so it will be interesting to see what happens here.

last trade rumors ive heard involving love were about 2 years ago, before he blew up. but i dont really keep up with him that much. he could refuse to try if they dont trade him, IF he were to ask for a trade, but then he would also be costing himself a lot of money down the road.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MC KAos;4615983 said:
last trade rumors ive heard involving love were about 2 years ago, before he blew up. but i dont really keep up with him that much. he could refuse to try if they dont trade him, IF he were to ask for a trade, but then he would also be costing himself a lot of money down the road.

Not really. He's guaranteed so he has 3 years and a 4th option year I think. He could easily tank two seasons in an attempt to force a trade and just play strong in his 3rd season and then opt out. If he plays well in this Olympics and then just continues to voice his displeasure, he could easily make it hard on Minnesota. I'm not saying that I would want to see that happen, I don't really love Love. I never really liked him, even at UCLA, but still, lots of players do that year in and year out and end up getting paid.