Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jerry has taken chances on highly touted QBs before. He brought in Chad Hutchison who initially chose a baseball career over football. He traded a third round pick to the Texans for Drew Henson after Houston had already figured out he he wasn’t any good. Jerry brought in Ryan Leaf who had been the second overall pick just a few years earlier. All those moves failed and this move is likely to fail as well. It’s very difficult to resurrect the career of a QB who has failed miserably as a high draft pick. You really never see it happen. A few exceptions would be Jim Plunkett who resurrected his career in Oakland. Steve Young struggled in Tampa before becoming a Hall of Fame QB for San Francisco. Doug Williams had one magical playoff run in Washington in 1987 after struggling with the Buccaneers.

khiladi

Reaction score
According to an ESPN article, the 49ers are on win-now mode and they don’t have the time to develop him, especially after his 2 injuries and the “rise” of Purdy. Sam Darnold makes sense for them as he has experience and can fill in, if Purdy goes down.

What it means for Dallas though, different story…

CWR

Reaction score
Maybe you have better memory than I do. But I don’t remember a high 1st round pick who never started for more than 5 games for it’s original team in first 2 years of their career EVER manage to salvage their careers and become a starting (doesn’t have to be upper echelon) QB for rest of their career.

can you name 1 or 2?

I think the guy has a grand total of like 420 balls thrown. Not positive but that may include college? He had to deal with the virus and injuries. He simply doesn't have any experience. He was raw to begin with, and it's not like he came from a powerhouse school.

Bottom line is he's an elite prospect, and nothing more.

For a fourth and 6-7 million over two years it's a pretty solid risk/reward. Most people would've been happy had we drafted a guy with his potential, especially in the fourth.

btcutter

Reaction score
Again, he’s only 23, let’s throw everybody away , why give anybody a chance
I’ll give him a chance. Just not throw away a 4th rounder. Obviously Bills didn’t think he was 4th round worthy either.

btcutter

Reaction score
I think the guy has a grand total of like 420 balls thrown. Not positive but that may include college? He had to deal with the virus and injuries. He simply doesn't have any experience. He was raw to begin with, and it's not like he came from a powerhouse school.

Bottom line is he's an elite prospect, and nothing more.

For a fourth and 6-7 million over two years it's a pretty solid risk/reward. Most people would've been happy had we drafted a guy with his potential, especially in the fourth.
I’m fine with bringing the guy in. But IMO we overpaid. Everyone is stuck with Trey Lance 2021 prospect But that’s not reality. He’s just a prospect that has failed 2 years of NFL development and lost a BACKUP competition. Why would I give a mid round pick for him.

Again my question “Maybe you have better memory than I do. But I don’t remember a high 1st round pick who never started for more than 5 games for it’s original team in first 2 years of their career EVER manage to salvage their careers and become a starting (doesn’t have to be upper echelon) QB for rest of their career.

can you name 1 or 2?

JustChip

Reaction score
I don’t know if KS is a QB guru.. his offense is built on the zone blocking schemes and running the ball, with a lot of play action. Who has he really developed?
Bingo! He’s a very good offensive mind, but where does this QB guru come from? RG3 was very good his first year with Shanahan as OC, but then regressed the next 2 years.

Johnny Manzel showed a little the ine year Shanahan was there.

He didn’t develop Matty Ice; he was a proven commodity before Shanahan arrived.

And Jimmy G was developed by NE.

If Brock Purdy’s play last year makes Shanahan a QB Guru, then Linehan and Garrett are QB Gurus for what Dak did in 2016.

JustChip

Reaction score
I’m fine with bringing the guy in. But IMO we overpaid. Everyone is stuck with Trey Lance 2021 prospect But that’s not reality. He’s just a prospect that has failed 2 years of NFL development and lost a BACKUP competition. Why would I give a mid round pick for him.

Again my question “Maybe you have better memory than I do. But I don’t remember a high 1st round pick who never started for more than 5 games for it’s original team in first 2 years of their career EVER manage to salvage their careers and become a starting (doesn’t have to be upper echelon) QB for rest of their career.

can you name 1 or 2?
Jim Plunkett.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’ll give him a chance. Just not throw away a 4th rounder. Obviously Bills didn’t think he was 4th round worthy either.
Yes, they thought it was worth the fifth. Not much difference, so especially when you’re almost picking last.

mcmvp

Reaction score
60 page thread in less than 24 hours.

Of course this won’t be a team distraction from a media perspective…lol

Yeah it will die down after 2-3 weeks, but if Dak hits a couple bumps in the road…the stuff will hit the fan again

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He actually started for Min. I can see the value. What is on Lance’s resume? He can’t even beat out a backup QB in SF for past 2 years.
You keep asking what’s on his résume. First round draft pick didn’t get a chance to play and when he did he had a 97% pass rating. Your issue is a fourth round pick. Dak Prescott was the fourth round pick. This guy is supposed be able to be better down the road.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
so do you think you know ore than Shanahan? Were you at practice? In the film room? How bad do you have to be for a team to give up on you that fast after giving away all those draft picks???
No I don't know more than Shanahan. But who knows why they got rid of him. There are politics in every industry....including professional sports. But what was said FROM THE 49ers is they didn't even want him in the NFC. They preferred him to be in the AFC. That alone tells you a little more...;)

btcutter

Reaction score
You keep asking what’s on his résume. First round draft pick didn’t get a chance to play and when he did he had a 97% pass rating. Your issue is a fourth round pick. Dak Prescott was the fourth round pick. This guy is supposed be able to be better down the road.
if he’s so good he would SF give up on him on a budget contract.

“Russini adds that the 49ers intended to trade Lance to the AFC, but the organization pivoted to an NFC foe when they only received offers of conditional fifth-round picks (that were more likely to be sixth-round picks.)”

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

can you name 1 or 2?
Getting injured is not failing

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The Rams did it after winning the big one. You just have to be willing to tank for a year or two.
Well, don’t tell Micah Parsons that. He strikes me as the kind of player who does not want to “tank” and would be anxious to leave if he thought the franchise he’s signed with is the kind that would. I’m going to suggest the players that make the 53 man Cowboys roster want to win every game.