Andy Dalton puts it to rest

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
You pay Dak $40 million, and you can kiss Gallup and many other key players goodbye.

That's the definition of stupid.

Dak can't carry the team like an elite quarterback.

He might, we don't know, JJ thinks he can...but, what do I know?

Proof

Reaction score
he threw three td's also. This is the kind of performance this team can win with at qb and you do not need to commit nearly 40 million to achieve it.

lets be serious here. good win, but we're talking sustainably and for the long haul. what do you think Andy would cost to come back and be our starter, and for how long do you believe he could be competent?

Proof

Reaction score
Agree completely.

It shuts up those who claimed that Dalton had been playing with the exact same o line that Prescott had - we all saw the difference that Martin made today.

ehh obviously Zack makes a substantial difference, but for my money, the defense actually coming to play and forcing some turnovers is a huge component (that Dak didn't have the luxury of)

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
La Gimp had 2 wins this season???
Hmmm looked like # 14 won that Giant game which we were down at some point 17-3.
I'm not sure what's more sad. This post or those that endorsed it.

Proof

Reaction score
So many missing the point here.

Dak wants $40 million a year.

It would be stupid to pay an average quarterback a huge contract.

This really isn't about Dalton. He's just proving the point about paying Dak.

no... we understand, but the reality is dalton is not the answer. Dak is substantially better, younger, (not avg) and here. What exactly do you propose?

Proof

Reaction score
With Dalton, they can draft a QB while developing tje young guy and the roster around him.

this is really what i don't recall anyone answering. HOW MUCH ARE YOU PAYING ANDY TO STICK AROUND AS THE STARTER?

Proof

Reaction score
Dak has been top three in dropped INTs by QBs for the last couple of years. It’s his tendency.. every QB gets away with it once in awhile. Every QB throws behind their receivers once in awhile. Dak on the other hand is among the kings of this trait.

I also didn’t see Cooper disappearing on the road with Dalton as QB.. in fact, we all saw just how clutch he was in the fourth..

would you mind providing those numbers? I'd like to see them. Also w/ Dak Cooper was on pace to destroy his career bests across the board.

Proof

Reaction score
This is the a very reasonable satement. I basically had the same discussion with ABQJr. last night.

It really isn't though, because Dalton is on a one year Covid / Backup contract. Those pennies turn to dollars very quickly when you're negotiating to be the starter.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It really isn't though, because Dalton is on a one year Covid / Backup contract. Those pennies turn to dollars very quickly when you're negotiating to be the starter.

Well, that's true but no matter what happens the rest of the season, it's not turning into 40 mil per or anything close IMO. somebody is going to get Dalton for something in the area of 27 IMO, maybe less. It is what it is so still kind think that the statement is very reasonable.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't understand why some of the anti-dakkers keep chirping that we can draft a QB and build a team with the savings. Here we are in year 5, and oh look!

Proof

Reaction score
Well, that's true but no matter what happens the rest of the season, it's not turning into 40 mil per or anything close IMO. somebody is going to get Dalton for something in the area of 27 IMO, maybe less. It is what it is so still kind think that the statement is very reasonable.

would you be willing to pay Dalton 27 for say... 4years?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I don't understand why some of the anti-dakkers keep chirping that we can draft a QB and build a team with the savings. Here we are in year 5, and oh look!

Its not about making sense or logic its about anything but Dak.......I mean why does everyone keep acting like your going to save 40 mill, for anything close to a good QB your paying a ransom period...so why switch? Again they can't speak factually on bad play so its all about his contract that no one knows how much it will actually be.....

Proof

Reaction score
What people seem to miss, at least my observation of it, is that Dak was more successful throwing for 200/300 and getting 100 plus out of the running game then he's ever been throwing for 400 plus. I mean, if you look at Dak's record, here is essentially how it breaks down.

When throwing for 200/300 plus, he's 28/16
When Throwing for 400/500 plus, he's 4/3

Here's what's interesting, when throwing for 100 plus, he's 10/8.

So clearly, the real sweet spot here for Dak is 200 to 300 yards but really, it's getting the right amount of attempts and carries. Those who believe that this offense needs to be throwing 40 to 50 times a game and putting up 400 or 500 yards don't really know jack about this game. The running game needs to be able to produce and get carries. Dak is not the end all, be all of this Offense. The true star of this Offense is the OL. We go as they go. Dak goes as they go, Zeke goes as they go, the Receivers go as they go. Balance is the key here. Those who think Dak is some other world QB who can win games by putting up big stats aren't paying attention to who and what our team is IMO. To me, it's pretty easy to see but I guess for others, it's not.

this is a fair point, and relatively enlightening. I think the only disconnect, is that recently we've been somewhat snakebitten at the same time that Dak and the wr's and kellen have come into their own. So yes, it's not 'necessary' to throw for 4-500 yards, and the results don't support that it's even good, but I think that a string of really unfortunate turnover's, and historically bad defense really muddied the waters when Dak and the offense were clicking at a high level. w/ even ONE more stop in a few games we're looking at some really impressive wins.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Its not about making sense or logic its about anything but Dak.......I mean why does everyone keep acting like your going to save 40 mill, for anything close to a good QB your paying a ransom period...so why switch? Again they can't speak factually on bad play so its all about his contract that no one knows how much it will actually be.....
Not to mention we tagged him for 30+ million for one season. And were 25 under the cap. That was for a reason.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
The problem is we can't build a good enough team around Dak to win a Championship. That is the goal.

He isn't a difference maker at the position and he wants difference maker money.

The QB market is the market of stupidity. You participate in it without having a Championship to show for it or an actual elite player then you're a moron because almost none of these guys win squat when they are paid.

Dak has shown that he goes as the team goes. Well even a guy like Dalton can do that. We can do better or at least be smarter.

Dallas will no doubt do it your way in the end. They will cave.. We'll be the fighting Dak's for a few years and eventually we'll look back and think wow that was stupid and blame the team around him not being good enough.

We did this with Romo.. A lot of you didn't pay attention. So please pay attention this time and learn from it so when we get here with a different QB you won't applauding such a foolish move.

The goal is for the DALLAS COWBOYS to win a championship.
Difference with Romo was he actually was a difference maker. He would be a top-3 to 5 QB in the league right now and we make the playoffs the last 4 seasons with him

Hadenough

Reaction score
You mean his first start where Zach Martin actually played the full game and they won on the road against a legitimate defense and he was threading needles, getting the ball out quickly and checking into the run when he needed to?

Oh yeah, this one must really hurt..
It was nice to get a 3rd and 5 and feel like you had a decent chance of converting. Dalton was efficient and made some nice throws hitting WRs in stride. People were complaining about the Lamb Matrix catch in the endzone and how he saved Dalton but it was lamb who wasnt quite where he was supposed to be. Dalton was throwing to the corner. Dalton was accurate the other night.

Swagger

Reaction score
What people seem to miss, at least my observation of it, is that Dak was more successful throwing for 200/300 and getting 100 plus out of the running game then he's ever been throwing for 400 plus. I mean, if you look at Dak's record, here is essentially how it breaks down.

When throwing for 200/300 plus, he's 28/16
When Throwing for 400/500 plus, he's 4/3

Here's what's interesting, when throwing for 100 plus, he's 10/8.

So clearly, the real sweet spot here for Dak is 200 to 300 yards but really, it's getting the right amount of attempts and carries. Those who believe that this offense needs to be throwing 40 to 50 times a game and putting up 400 or 500 yards don't really know jack about this game. The running game needs to be able to produce and get carries. Dak is not the end all, be all of this Offense. The true star of this Offense is the OL. We go as they go. Dak goes as they go, Zeke goes as they go, the Receivers go as they go. Balance is the key here. Those who think Dak is some other world QB who can win games by putting up big stats aren't paying attention to who and what our team is IMO. To me, it's pretty easy to see but I guess for others, it's not.
Agree and it's why we don't need to pay a QB 40 million when one could produce what the offense requires at a fraction of the price. Let's see how Dalton gets on for the rest of the season. To many on here he's washed up and barely a backup QB so if he helps the team win games and takes us to the play offs then it lays the blueprint going forwards. Keep Dalton on a cheap deal - I could see him signing for 40-45 million over 2 years and draft a QB in the first round. If we could somehow negotiate a second round pick for Prescott then happy days. There's no guarantee he will be as mobile as he was any way so from a business prospective we need to put the team in the best position long term.