CFZ Another win against a non winning team, Cowboys look to lock up 5th seed

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have argued this point many times.

If a team starts out 1-2, and Dallas beats them, they are a below .500 team and the win was beating up on a weaker team. But if that team rallies and throws together 11 wins in the season and ends up at 12-5, are they still an under .500 team?

Of course that is not the case with Seattle, but who here goes through every game of the opponent to see how they lost previous contests?
My point may be illustrated this way. This is the Eagles season thus far.

Patriots - won by five - road
Vikings - won by eight - home
Buccaneers - won by fourteen - road
Commodores - won by three - home
Rams - won by nine - road
Jets - they lost to the Jets by six - road
Dolphins - won by fourteen - home
Commodores - won by seven - road
Cowboys - won by five - home
Chiefs - won by four - road
Bills - won by three - home

Outside of the Cowboys and Chiefs, and Bill, who has this team played anyone believes Dallas couldn't beat. I also think it is significant where they play.
So this record and how good the team is depends on more than just the record at the moment. There was a time more than half this site was crying after the loss to Arizona thinking the season was over.

Yet here they are at 9-3.

One last point which hasn't been brought up. Dallas faced the 9ers three times in two seasons and lost each of those.

Nov 13, 1994 - lost 21-14 at San Francisco
Jan 15, 1995 - lost 38-28 at San Francisco
Nov 12, 1995 - lost 38-20 at Dallas

That season it seemed Dallas would again face the 9ers at their home field and the loss was inevitable. Until.....

Jan 6, 1996 9ers at Green Bay. The 9ers lost 27-17.

Then.

Jan 14, 1996 - Green Bay at Dallas, Green Bay lost 38-27

Dallas went on to win the Super Bowl against the Steelers Jan 28, 1996 27-17

You never know until the games are played how it will end up. Sorry, I sort of rambled here.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yes, Seattle had a winning record heading into the game much like the Jets did in week 2. But now they are 6-6 and with SF and Phi in next couple weeks will possibly be 6-8. Throw in Steelers in a few weeks another Playoff caliber winning record team Seahawks could easily finish 8-9 with other remaining games against Titans and Cards.
I see that you're that guy.

silvernblu

Reaction score
Yes, Seattle had a winning record heading into the game much like the Jets did in week 2. But now they are 6-6 and with SF and Phi in next couple weeks will possibly be 6-8. Throw in Steelers in a few weeks another Playoff caliber winning record team Seahawks could easily finish 8-9 with other remaining games against Titans and Cards.

But at least it was the best team we have beaten this season . We had to come from behind to get it done. A good but not great win.

I’m not sure it was the kind of dominating performance that provides us more confidence heading into our matchup with Egirls but certainly a good performance by offense. And defense while giving up 35 did make a stop to end the game.

We are now 3 games up ( lost column) in the 5th Wild Card slot with a very slim chance of winning division. It’s very possible once the division is officially lost and with the 5th seed locked we might be able to rest our stars the last game or two heading into the playoffs.

Phi would need to lose 3 more while we win out to overtake tiebreakers which unfortunately they own . Always possible but very unlikely.

I actually think it could be to our advantage if the division is locked up early as we lock up 5th seed. It places us in a better position to rest while the top 3 division winners are playing for higher seeds.

If Egirls lose next two games which I think is possible it sets SF up for #1 seed which the way they are playing expect them to win out. Either way they will continue to compete for top seed.

Cowboys could be the most rested team heading into playoffs . An advantage that could make a difference.
Trolling right along.

shabazz

Reaction score
We have faced 3 "good to great" offenses this season and our defense has yet to contain them.

Outscoring them doesn't mean containing them

Scheme can only mask roster deficiencies only so much

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
this is a b.s. thread title and you know it, you even start your comment by outing your inaccuracy.
I told someone last night here that I would bet $500 someone comes here and says Dallas still hasnt beaten a winning team.
Hey Mensa member - we beat a 6-5 team, thats a winning record

You cannot hold a Dallas win against Dallas. If we caused them to NOW not be winning, WE did that.

get it?

unreal

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Where have you been the last 50 years? Do you not understand how the media works in regards to the Cowboys? Hype if they win, bash if they lose... they win no matter which avenue they take. Stop using what happens with the media and throwing that crap onto posters in this forum. When someone in here is hyping the SB, please quote them and show me. Until then, I dont care.
Most of my references , thoughts and opinions arise from influence outside this forum.

But seems like I recall some fans here saying we were good enough to make a SB run or contend . Call it what you will but that’s hype in my book. Especially for a team that hasn’t made it out of Divisional round with this current QB and roster not to mention this franchise in a generation.

If you haven’t sensed the hype this season then I’d say you haven’t been paying attention. I don’t have to list individual fans . You’ve even come off like this team is a serious contender. That’s SB hype my friend.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
this is a b.s. thread title and you know it, you even start your comment by outing your inaccuracy.
I told someone last night here that I would bet $500 someone comes here and says Dallas still hasnt beaten a winning team.
Hey Mensa member - we beat a 6-5 team, thats a winning record

You cannot hold a Dallas win against Dallas. If we caused them to NOW not be winning, WE did that.

get it?

unreal
That’s not how it works. Or they would have listed the Jets at 1-0 as a winning record when we played them.

I said before the Seattle game that if we beat them they would at least temporarily fall out of winning team category.

If you don’t like the narrative ,that’s your prerogative. Narratives are basically meaningless and based on data to support.

Start your own narrative like we are only team in NFL history to win their first 5 home games winning by more 20 points or more. I did yesterday and received very few responses.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
That’s not how it works. Or they would have listed the Jets at 1-0 as a winning record when we played them.

I said before the Seattle game that if we beat them they would at least temporarily fall out of winning team category.

If you don’t like the narrative ,that’s your prerogative. Narratives are basically meaningless and based on data to support.

Start your own narrative like we are only team in NFL history to win their first 5 home games winning by more 20 points or more. I did yesterday and received very few responses.
it is how it works
they beat a team with a winning record
it is an unarguable fact

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Man nobody said anything about that. It's the same as any other team that is playoff bound SB is ALWAYS the goal and EVERY TEAM brings that fact up.
Then why did you ask ?

I’d argue the Cowboys receive much more of this type of hype. And it doesn’t just come from outside sources. Our own front office and fans do as well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
it is how it works
they beat a team with a winning record
it is an unarguable fact
They were a winning record team. Just like the Jets were .

It’s left to be seen if they are at seasons end. That’s the facts. They are always fluid.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No but dang bro even our fans are fickle. Say they haven't won a close game or against a winning team and we finally do and then yall keep moving the goal posts. Eagles haven't proven nothing this year except they can find a way to win just like Dallas did all night. They win by 40 oh the other team sucks, they win by 6 oh we still suck amd are unproven!
Our fans are desperate to find greater success.

Phi is a proven winner from last year. It doesn’t matter how they win.

Until we reach that pinnacle we need thicker skin cause these meaningless narratives will continue. Only way to stop it is to kick the door down.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I see that you're that guy.
Im not afraid to deliver the bad news. Like a Buzz Killer. Brutal Honesty. The crap fans hate to hear. The truth always hurts.

I’ve been delivering it for almost 3 decades. I can’t wait to bring better news when it arrives. So far all we have received are teases. I’m ready to get past 2nd base and shoot my entire load.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LOL a thread on moving the goal posts...
A teams record is always a fluid stat until seasons end .

If we want to accurately keep count the Hawks are second team (Jets) we beat who had a winning record when we played them.

We shall see if Seattle can finish above .500. Will be tough with their remaining schedule .

Chargers and Rams are capable of finishing above .500 as well.

This is just a narrative that’s going to have life until we totally squash it. We will have great opportunity incoming weeks.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Why do we care so much about what the other teams' record is when we play them? I understand you have to beat good teams in the playoffs, but it's not the playoffs yet.

You play who is on the schedule. The Cowboys are 9-3; yet the narrative is to try and discredit the games they have won. I don't get it. Especially when the Eagles won by far less against common opponents (Patriots, Rams, Commanders twice, and lost to the Jets) and everyone is singing their praises.

We can't tweak the schedule and play the 49ers, Eagles, and Chiefs every week just to validate the season. Those types of teams await in January. Not only for the Cowboys, but for the other playoff teams as well.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Most of my references , thoughts and opinions arise from influence outside this forum.

But seems like I recall some fans here saying we were good enough to make a SB run or contend . Call it what you will but that’s hype in my book. Especially for a team that hasn’t made it out of Divisional round with this current QB and roster not to mention this franchise in a generation.

If you haven’t sensed the hype this season then I’d say you haven’t been paying attention. I don’t have to list individual fans . You’ve even come off like this team is a serious contender. That’s SB hype my friend.
What’s wrong with hoping for the Super Bowl?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why do we care so much about what the other teams' record is when we play them? I understand you have to beat good teams in the playoffs, but it's not the playoffs yet.

You play who is on the schedule. The Cowboys are 9-3; yet the narrative is to try and discredit the games they have won. I don't get it. Especially when the Eagles won by far less against common opponents (Patriots, Rams, Commanders twice, and lost to the Jets) and everyone is singing their praises.

We can't tweak the schedule and play the 49ers, Eagles, and Chiefs every week just to validate the season. Those types of teams await in January. Not only for the Cowboys, but for the other playoff teams as well.
I don’t think the narrative is to discredit their wins as it is to undermine they are a legit SB contender because they haven’t beat a SB contender.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think this was a good win simply because it showed the players, the coaches, Jerry and even the fans that they are not as invincible at home as they believed.

As I always say, good teams find ways to win games. No asterisks. No if's or but's. Good teams find ways to win games.

Cowboys fans can call the Eagles lucky to win some of their games, but in the end, they are a good team because they found ways to win those games, just like the Cowboys did last night.

The league does not care who has the better team. The only thing that matters is scoring more points than your opponents.
I agree with this ^^^

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I don’t think the narrative is to discredit their wins as it is to undermine they are a legit SB contender because they haven’t beat a SB contender.
I agree with you. But I also want to say this: what if the Cowboys do beat the Eagles, Bills, Dolphins, and Lions coming up? Will that guarantee they will roll right into the Super Bowl? No. Just like how losing to them doesn't guarantee they won't right the wrongs in the playoffs either.

I totally understand the gist but I also think we are getting too far ahead of ourselves. "One game at a time" is a cliche but it also is true.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What’s wrong with hoping for the Super Bowl?
Nothing. My intent is not to dispel hope. As a matter of fact I’ve argued we should retain that hope as I do as well.

My issue resides more in the SB hype that all too often arises when we begin looking like we might have a team that can contend.

My objective is simply caution to pump the brakes on the hype until further evidence. Doesn’t mean we can’t retain hope but in a more subtle way especially when we have had so much disappointment this era.

Once we finally kick that door down then we can have the greatest jubilation in 30 years. And once we have proven ourselves worthy then we can begin talking like we belong to be mentioned with the Elite teams,

I’m old enough to remember what it’s like to be there. And we haven’t arrived yet. Patience Cowboy fans. Hopefully it’s coming soon.