Twitter: Babe Laufenberg: Maybe the team just isn't good enough

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Losing Romo definitely hurt, but would this team finish better than 9-7 or 8-8 with Romo? Secondary isn't very good, OL struggled mightily early on, WR's can't produce without Dez on the field, running game & RB's sputtered until recently. Tony can only play one position. Now the flip side of that, 9-7 or 8-8 will probably win the East.......

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
One year ago we had better players and the same coach.

I just flat don't buy that.

You can argue that we have people not playing up to their potential, but you can't argue we have worse players. Just with the draft picks we got this year, we had upgrades all over the place.

slick325

Reaction score
5 of the 6 losses could have and likely should have been wins. That's the frustrating part. Coulda, woulda, shoulda...as Parcells says you are what your record says you are. Dallas is 2-6. 0-6 without Romo but Babe is correct...they aren't good enough.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Our biggest problem is Marinelli's D just stopped getting turnovers five games ago and gives up more points in the 4th quarter than any other. That needs to change and right now he doesn't appear to be the guy that can do it.

plymkr

Reaction score
Cassell played well enough to win. Actually Cassell played very well. It's not like Romo never threw picks. Cassell played a good game today.

I don't think he played that good tonight. Bryant had a miracle hail mary catch that Cassel got credited for in the stats column but it's not like Cassell did anything on that play besides throw it up. That was all Bryant. Cassell's pick six was a killer. Beasely turned a couple plays into bigger plays.

I think this is the best game Cassell has played as a Cowboy but I don't know if I would go as far as to say he was "good". I will agree with you though that cassell played well enough to win. Bad clock management by our Insignificant Sideline Personal (I'm not even going to call them coaches anymore, that's an insult to actual coaches) and a defense that is scared of the ball and couldn't make a crucial play was our real downfall. Cassell played like everyone else did on the team. Flashes of excitement but overall just playing and waiting for the other team to hopefully screw up.

Myboys

Reaction score
That's what people want to do. Give Garrett a pass. Didn't Garrett help assemble the talent on this team? He has clearly demonstrated that he isn't a head coach that can steal a game ever by out-coaching his opponent.
He has been a total zero without Romo. An absolute embarrassment of a head coach.

I will get hammered by the Marineli fans but I can't see where he is a great DC either. After 6 straight loses, with the defense responsible as much or more than the offense, I am not seeing great coaching from any phase of the game. Every team in the league has injuries but seem to pull out a win now and then. Romo is an outstanding QB and is greatly missed but this "if only TR was playing" excuse is getting old.

Ender

Reaction score
I just flat don't buy that.

You can argue that we have people not playing up to their potential, but you can't argue we have worse players. Just with the draft picks we got this year, we had upgrades all over the place.

Well im not selling anything. A year ago we had better players and the same coach.And yes, we have worst players, and at key positions, ie.. QB, RB and Wide out for 4 of the 5 losses. All the writing and posting you do in the world wont change that.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
We're back to being the 8-8 Cowboys of every Garrett-coached team minus last season. The only difference this season is that without Romo, we can't even pull out a few of these 50-50 type games.

But all the ingredients are there of how we used to lose games under Garrett.

kevm3

Reaction score
I will get hammered by the Marineli fans but I can't see where he is a great DC either. After 6 straight loses, with the defense responsible as much or more than the offense, I am not seeing great coaching from any phase of the game. Every team in the league has injuries but seem to pull out a win now and then. Romo is an outstanding QB and is greatly missed but this "if only TR was playing" excuse is getting old.

Marinelli will be the new scapegoat this year. Rob Ryan was supposedly the guy we needed to get rid of and everything would be better. Defense was not responsible during the Seattle or NY games. They were responsible for this game. I guarantee you we plug in a new DC and we'll end up with the SAME results. The problem is GM and HC. All 3 units are never clicking. We'll keep on playing musical chairs with coordinators though so as to avoid the real problems.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Cassel had a quarterback rating of 105 tonight and threw 3 touchdown passes and only one pick, which is excellent, especially from a backup QB. He didn't have a chance to win the game in OT because he never got the ball.

robjgrif

Reaction score
My Sunday routine... Watch the Cowboys lose, watch the Walking Dead, and rewatch the TFA trailer.. Man when does GOT come back on? :):):(:(:(:(:(:(

dupree89

Reaction score

exactly! Seems like whenever someone has something bad to say about Marinelli...people come out of the woodwork defending this guy. He has been a total zero this year, as has the head coach. When you lose your star player, it is on the coaching to make sure they get their players to outperform their talent level. And these coaches simply cant get it done. How many times this year have we watched Marinelli's defense puke it up at a key spot in a game? If you need a big stop in a game, you don't want a Marinelli-coached defense to try to make it.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I'm not even sure what you are trying to say here.

You are laying off any accountability on the coaches that there is no depth.

Yea he should suit up and play QB. You really wish this was a great roster. It's not. The d line is average, the Linebackers suck, our safety play has been terrible, we have one good reciver, our starting running back at the beginning of the season is off the team, and Matt Cassel is our QB. We're is this a better roster? At what possion?

Garrett, McClay, Every Jones in the building are all responsible for the above that you assessed. They have had ample time and resources to fix things and havent.

Garrett rolled with Weeden after knowing he was a turd last year and the preseason - voted to keep him. He doesnt get all the blame, but he gets a big slice.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
I don't think he played that good tonight. Bryant had a miracle hail mary catch that Cassel got credited for in the stats column but it's not like Cassell did anything on that play besides throw it up. That was all Bryant. Cassell's pick six was a killer. Beasely turned a couple plays into bigger plays.

I think this is the best game Cassell has played as a Cowboy but I don't know if I would go as far as to say he was "good". I will agree with you though that cassell played well enough to win. Bad clock management by our Insignificant Sideline Personal (I'm not even going to call them coaches anymore, that's an insult to actual coaches) and a defense that is scared of the ball and couldn't make a crucial play was our real downfall. Cassell played like everyone else did on the team. Flashes of excitement but overall just playing and waiting for the other team to hopefully screw up.

I actually thought we played our clock management well. What issues did you have with it??

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
exactly! Seems like whenever someone has something bad to say about Marinelli...people come out of the woodwork defending this guy. He has been a total zero this year, as has the head coach. When you lose your star player, it is on the coaching to make sure they get their players to outperform their talent level. And these coaches simply cant get it done. How many times this year have we watched Marinelli's defense puke it up at a key spot in a game? If you need a big stop in a game, you don't want a Marinelli-coached defense to try to make it.

The truth is his defense is built on the bend-but-don't break mentality, yet it has broken far too often this season. It's a winnable philosophy when getting a turnover here, forcing a field goal there. But we've seen far too many walkoff TDs allowed by his bunch in 2015.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My Sunday routine... Watch the Cowboys lose, watch the Walking Dead, and rewatch the TFA trailer.. Man when does GOT come back on? :):):(:(:(:(:(:(

Mine:
watch us lose
watch my wife get irritated watching me get angry
happy when she goes to bed early so I can pout
drink as much as possible without getting drunk and pissing her off more
drown my sorrows with the rest of yall in the zone

loublue22

Reaction score
Losing Romo definitely hurt, but would this team finish better than 9-7 or 8-8 with Romo? Secondary isn't very good, OL struggled mightily early on, WR's can't produce without Dez on the field, running game & RB's sputtered until recently. Tony can only play one position. Now the flip side of that, 9-7 or 8-8 will probably win the East.......

we win at least 11 games with Tony, he's that good

Ender

Reaction score
You are laying off any accountability on the coaches that there is no depth.

Garrett, McClay, Every Jones in the building are all responsible for the above that you assessed. They have had ample time and resources to fix things and havent.

Garrett rolled with Weeden after knowing he was a turd last year and the preseason - voted to keep him. He doesnt get all the blame, but he gets a big slice.

I never wrote that garret didnt deserve blame. I wrote that you all who think this is solely on garret are wrong. This Roster isnt as good as it was. Either garret is trash, and last year was all on Romo, Demarco, Dez, or not having Romo, Demarco, and Dez most of the games this year is the reason we are 2 - 6 this year. You cant suggest that this roster is improved this year, its completely asinine.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
we win at least 11 games with Tony, he's that good

He's good, but Romo can only play 1 position. It's too easy to say this team would be 11-5 if Romo had played all year. We've seen enough of this season to confirm this team just isn't as good as last years team.