Best Album of All Time

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
As far as American contributors go don't think there are any, I was thinking maybe something like Van Halen's 1st album or something from the Eagles. But the best of all time, that's some pretty rarified air and those are maybe a notch below. Not sure what it is about the Brits though. They just had some supremely talented cats who were very creative and pushed the limits. Supergroups from the UK vs supergroups from the USA is no contest. The Brits win easily.
Van Halen 1 contains some mighty fine tunes but has a stinker or two as well. Which Eagles studio album are you suggesting? Some are better than others. I completely agree with you about the best of all-time being some "rarified air". The Brits own it.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Not sure, maybe One of these nights but again that doesn't hold up to Abbey Road, Physical Graffiti, or DSOTM. Trying to rack my brain about other American supergroups. Love Alice Coopers original band which was basically up to and including Muscle of Love. Some great material there, but the best of all time not sure about that. Ditto for Aerosmith, maybe Toys or Get your Wings but again don't that's right up there.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
As far as American contributors go don't think there are any, I was thinking maybe something like Van Halen's 1st album or something from the Eagles. But the best of all time, that's some pretty rarified air and those are maybe a notch below. Not sure what it is about the Brits though. They just had some supremely talented cats who were very creative and pushed the limits. Supergroups from the UK vs maybe One of these nights but again that doesn't hold up to Abbey Road, Physical Graffiti, or DSOTM. Trying to rack my brain about other American supergroups. Love Alice Coopers original band which was basically up to and including Muscle of Love. Some great material there, but the best of all time not sure about that. Ditto for Aerosmith, maybe Toys or Get your Wings but again don't that's right up there.
The first Aerosmith album was amazing. Top five for me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Van Halen 1 contains some mighty fine tunes but has a stinker or two as well. Which Eagles studio album are you suggesting? Some are better than others. I completely agree with you about the best of all-time being some "rarified air". The Brits own it.
Agree, British musicians pushed the envelope from the beginning in defining a sound whether that was the Byrds with "jangle" that is still a driving force with alternative rock or the Mercy sound of Gerry and the Pacemakers. And for the blues influence, the Stones were perfection and the inspiration for ZZ Top, the best white boy blues band.

What was so amazing to me was there was so little of the British Invasion until 63, it was all rock n roll and soul music, and the gates opened up and they came pouring through band after band and some with unique sounds I'd never heard before. It was just as if they'd been preparing for an invasion.

Being a teenager during that time, 63-68, was magical. The variety of top 40 radio with American rock, soul, Motown and the British Invasion all co-existing within the same format was astounding. There has been better music created since that time but as for a time in music, none better.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I was a huge fan of Sweet. When I look back, I'm still amazed by them. They did some extraordinary things with vocal harmonizations. They were said to be a big influence on Queen, and it shows.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Can't name just one so contenders for me:
Led Zeppelin IV
Nirvana Nevermind
Run DMC Raising hell
Turnpike Troubadours Goodbye Normal Street
Michael Jackson Thriller
Notorious B.I.G. Ready to Die

Xelda

Reaction score
if anyone stifles anything around these parts its me with my Elvis passion....you dont stifle anything bro.
If you only knew how much you crack me up. There are posters here getting deep into a discussion about Roger Staubach, Drew Pearson, Too Tall Jones, Randy White, Walt Garrison and many more. My mind gets in there to ponder what they're talking about. I'll be up to my ears in Cowboy goodness, then the next post is about Elvis. We expect you to represent Elvis and I'm afraid there would be pitchforks and lighted torches heading your way if you didn't. I want you to know I don't mean it disrespectfully. You add another element to the forums that makes us unique.

I had some Beatles stuff going and checked over to Elvis for something and I'll be darned it Elvis isn't coming out of my speakers at me. I've got to fix this, but you might get a chuckle out of it.

cowboyec

Reaction score
If you only knew how much you crack me up. There are posters here getting deep into a discussion about Roger Staubach, Drew Pearson, Too Tall Jones, Randy White, Walt Garrison and many more. My mind gets in there to ponder what they're talking about. I'll be up to my ears in Cowboy goodness, then the next post is about Elvis. We expect you to represent Elvis and I'm afraid there would be pitchforks and lighted torches heading your way if you didn't. I want you to know I don't mean it disrespectfully. You add another element to the forums that makes us unique.

I had some Beatles stuff going and checked over to Elvis for something and I'll be darned it Elvis isn't coming out of my speakers at me. I've got to fix this, but you might get a chuckle out of it.
:thumbup::grin:

lukin2006

Reaction score
R-4816760-1420395068-7023.jpeg.jpg

Number 2 for me...

ShortRound

Reaction score
Agree, British musicians pushed the envelope from the beginning in defining a sound whether that was the Byrds with "jangle" that is still a driving force with alternative rock or the Mercy sound of Gerry and the Pacemakers. And for the blues influence, the Stones were perfection and the inspiration for ZZ Top, the best white boy blues band.

What was so amazing to me was there was so little of the British Invasion until 63, it was all rock n roll and soul music, and the gates opened up and they came pouring through band after band and some with unique sounds I'd never heard before. It was just as if they'd been preparing for an invasion.

Being a teenager during that time, 63-68, was magical. The variety of top 40 radio with American rock, soul, Motown and the British Invasion all co-existing within the same format was astounding. There has been better music created since that time but as for a time in music, none better.

"Being a teenager during that time, 63-68, was magical."

Dude, that would be amazing. Favorite concert from that time?