Brees willing to take below market contract

InTheZone

Reaction score
he rejects a $30 mil deal elsewhere and stays for $25 mil, and it's sad that some people here think none of us would do the same.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Brees is my all-time favorite quarterback. One could dream having him at center for Dallas. He has that classy no nonsense attitude.
He went to Westlake High in Austin.
I went to James Bowie High in Austin.

We were kind of rivals although Westlake was in EISD and we were AISD, but we usually played a game against them yearly. Super rich neighborhoods also, which was what made them our unofficial rivals. Our official one was Davy Crockett.
He was a freshman when I was a senior. Everyone already knew about him.
Westlake High was a football machine and they always got themselves great QB's.
We were a brand new high school, just getting our bearings.
I had a good friend who was a safety on our team. He got a sack on Brees in a game and I guaran-damn-tee you he's bragging about it to this day.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes, he had no control over his rookie deal. The fact is he significantly outplayed his contract and now is the time that he needs to capitalize on his ability to maximize his worth. I get people don’t like it, but he shouldn’t be faulted for it. And getting paid sooner just means he makes less later, it does change the total value of the first 4 years or the total value of the contract extension years.

I agree that he has outplayed his Rookie deal but what I don't agree with is this mind set that seems to point the finger at the Team because he only got paid 4 mil for his rookie Deal. You can't change that so it is what it is until you get to a new deal. Now, the team tried to help by giving him a new deal for two years and putting money in his pocket but he didn't want that. That's not the teams fault. Besides, why didn't he want that extra money? Because he was banking on commercials etc. That's why he can afford to wait on the money and bet on himself. I.E., he was never hurting for money.

This is not about like or dislike. This is about good business. I am very definitely on the side of team, and not player here. The deal he has been offered is a really good one. He wants more, I get that. But if the team is unwilling to go that far, then that's where we are at. Trade him and move on if that's what it comes down to but don't let this contract get in the way of moving forward because this team has about 4 to 5 years to get it done. After that, it's rebuild and honestly, we don't really need Dak at that point. He would be better off going to a team that is capable of winning.

That's just the truth.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Is he marrying Gisele too?

This gives the Saints such an unfair advantage.. These QB's who take team friendly deals just give their team a much better chance at a Superbowl.

He’s heading into his 20th season and possibly his last. He’s made a ton of money he can afford to take a team friendly deal. He certainly didn’t take a team friendly deal when he signed his first contract extension. Just another slap at Dak.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I agree that he has outplayed his Rookie deal but what I don't agree with is this mind set that seems to point the finger at the Team because he only got paid 4 mil for his rookie Deal. You can't change that so it is what it is until you get to a new deal. Now, the team tried to help by giving him a new deal for two years and putting money in his pocket but he didn't want that. That's not the teams fault. Besides, why didn't he want that extra money? Because he was banking on commercials etc. That's why he can afford to wait on the money and bet on himself. I.E., he was never hurting for money.

This is not about like or dislike. This is about good business. I am very definitely on the side of team, and not player here. The deal he has been offered is a really good one. He wants more, I get that. But if the team is unwilling to go that far, then that's where we are at. Trade him and move on if that's what it comes down to but don't let this contract get in the way of moving forward because this team has about 4 to 5 years to get it done. After that, it's rebuild and honestly, we don't really need Dak at that point. He would be better off going to a team that is capable of winning.

That's just the truth.
There is no finger pointing anywhere. He has made peanuts and now is the time for him to cash in at market value. No one should fault him for that regardless of how much one would want him to give a team friendly deal.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brees and Payton are joined at the hip about their role in post Katrina New Orleans. I don't think Brees could even think of himself in another team's uniform anymore than Payton ever considered being anywhere else. They are as synonymous with a team as Lombardi and Starr are with GB, Landry and Staubach with DAL and Walsh and Montana with SF.

I am not looking forward to seeing Brady in another uniform anymore than I was Dorsett as a Bronco, Emmitt as a Card or Hill as a Skin. I am old school which is why I don't like FA for what it's done to tradition. Can you imagine seeing Roger in another uniform? I really didn't like seeing Namath, Unitas or Montana in different ones.

I am glad he's staying because I love N'Awlins, or the one I knew, and what they meant to the emotional and mental recovery can't be measured. I don't like the word hero applied to a sports figure but he's as close to it for a pro athlete as you can find. And that fandom is flat nuts and we need that in the game.

phildadon86

Reaction score

This gives the Saints such an unfair advantage.. These QB's who take team friendly deals just give their team a much better chance at a Superbowl.
Lol you’re a joke my friend. The guy is 42 and has made his money. I wonder if mahomes or Watson will take below market in their first contract. Even after making far more than Dak has since entering the league

SSoup

Reaction score
And it also tells you all you need to know about Dak.

Dude is a fraud.

Pure and simple.

We need to break off negotiations immediately and go shopping with his and Amari's money.
You can really tell which of our fans just live in a Cowboys bubble where they ignore the rest of the league and have no concept of the sport or the real world as a whole.

Brees spent the bulk of his career making every penny he could, including multiple times where he forced the team to go year-to-year with the franchise tag instead of accepting any of their offers.

But now that he's at the end and thinking of making less money, he's considered a selfless saint and guys who haven't yet made their big paydays are demonized for not being as selfless as guys who have spent decades being greedy capitalists.

Funny how many good old southern Cowboys fans are actually wildly opposed to capitalism when it's someone who looks like Dak that is profiting from the leverage he has earned.

aria

Reaction score

Maybe other players shouldn’t be so selfish. I don’t care who Brady is married to or how much Brees has already made.

When someone is making several millions of dollars but holding out for a few million more then that’s on them, it’s not like they’re holding out to barely make the poverty line or minimum wage. Spoiled brat divas.

Good for Brees and the Saints, you can tell who wants to win a Super Bowl more and who doesn’t.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
You can really tell which of our fans just live in a Cowboys bubble where they ignore the rest of the league and have no concept of the sport or the real world as a whole.

Brees spent the bulk of his career making every penny he could, including multiple times where he forced the team to go year-to-year with the franchise tag instead of accepting any of their offers.

But now that he's at the end and thinking of making less money, he's considered a selfless saint and guys who haven't yet made their big paydays are demonized for not being as selfless as guys who have spent decades being greedy capitalists.

Funny how many good old southern Cowboys fans are actually wildly opposed to capitalism when it's someone who looks like Dak that is profiting from the leverage he has earned.
I liked you for matching @Redball Express posting style.
Probably easier for him to read.
Although I don't know why he chooses to post from a phone...
Something to think about Red.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And it also tells you all you need to know about Dak.

Dude is a fraud.

Pure and simple.

We need to break off negotiations immediately and go shopping with his and Amari's money.
I bet you never complained or ever bashed our previous starting QB who not once but twice got paid top overall pay.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I bet you never complained or ever bashed our previous starting QB who not once but twice got paid top overall pay.
Actually, I did not complain about his pay.

Just his play.

We did not have a bunch of highly paid players under Romo.

Tyron Smith and not much else.

So Romo being paid was needed as he was our whole team and Dez.

Very very different now.

Just saying.

aria

Reaction score
He went to Westlake High in Austin.
I went to James Bowie High in Austin.

We were kind of rivals although Westlake was in EISD and we were AISD, but we usually played a game against them yearly. Super rich neighborhoods also, which was what made them our unofficial rivals. Our official one was Davy Crockett.
He was a freshman when I was a senior. Everyone already knew about him.
Westlake High was a football machine and they always got themselves great QB's.
We were a brand new high school, just getting our bearings.
I had a good friend who was a safety on our team. He got a sack on Brees in a game and I guaran-damn-tee you he's bragging about it to this day.
The ole “Cadillac Kids” of Westlake.