Calling out this "fanbase"

Status
Not open for further replies.

starfan1

Reaction score
The question I asked myself is this. Is the Carolina Panthers fan base just miserable as this fan base? Or are they more miserable? If that's even possible. I believe even if we went on to super bowl this year it still wouldn't matter the fan base will still be miserable. I think it's just baked into the pie. I've been at Dallas cowboys fan since 1990. I've seen the best of times and the worst of times. And I have never had this mindset. Life is too short. Just go watch golf.
I pretty much have a love hate relationship with this fanbase and there are several in here that I just feel whine a bit much and a few I can’t stand

They are accomplishing nothing really but it’s their right

I’ve been a fan a long time and I think some fans in here because they experienced 5 bowls just got used to the ultimate success

I got a lot of other things in life I can he miserable about that are more important than the cowboys

Jerry jones is a buffoon but I got a choice of whether or not I watch the product

He has not handled the salary cap era well

blueblood70

Reaction score
derivative noun (link)
1 [linguistics]: a word formed from another word or base : a word formed by derivation

fanatic noun (link)
1 [disapproving]: a person exhibiting excessive enthusiasm and intense uncritical devotion toward some controversial matter
2: a person who is extremely enthusiastic about and devoted to some interest or activity

fan noun (link)
1: an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator
2: an ardent admirer or enthusiast (as of a celebrity or a pursuit)

Sports devotion is not any different from any other form of devotion in life. Identify anything humanity has experienced in our history to which individuals have devoted themselves. In each instance, devoted individuals are generally divided into fanatics and fans.

The word 'fan' is derived from the term 'fanatic'. Each are similar but both do not share the exact same meaning.

If someone has 'excessive enthusiasm' and 'intense uncritical devotion' for the Dallas Cowboys, that is fine. If another is only an 'enthusiastic devotee' or 'ardent admirer', this is fine too.

However, there is a problem when excessive enthusiasm and intense uncritical devotion decides admiration and non-excessive enthusiasm (which can be both positive and negative) does not define someone other than themselves as a fan. That is judgmental prejudice that dismisses someone else as being only a fan. The prejudice is compounded whenever someone else is dismissed entirely as a fan altogether.

I cannot claim any moral superiority. I have been guilty of doing the exact same thing to fellow Dallas Cowboys' fans. Thankfully, time taught me the important life lesson that devotion of many individuals for one thing can often be a good thing. Being a fan--or a fanatic--of the Dallas Cowboys is a good thing.

Go Cowboys.
UMM,

the definition of enthusiasm, Intense and eager enjoyment interest or approval..... And nowhere in there does it say you should be -50 percent 75% or 85% of the time literally the negativity is insidious around here and literally that's the opposite of what a fan is.. But good try you try to twist that into the way they react badly 24 hours a day seven days a week somehow fits that definition I guess if you try to fit it in that way you can twist it into that but it is not in my opinion...

Sure if you wanna be upset over games or bad plays or a bad season or the way it finished in this case at some point you need to let it go and start turning your attention towards the offseason ohh wait a minute then the negativity continues into the offseason and then every move or non move becomes a negative and then even when they see the other teams getting players we didn't get negative more negativity negative negative negative that's all it is there are some of you that never stop you RIP every little move or not move you find a way to make it bad..

That's what I expect from our competitors but not our own people in house it is OK every once in a while just saying negative things but to be negative more than not is not a fan in my opinion

Reaction score
He has 3 rings.

Could've had another in 2008 if not for a fumble by Romo on a Field Goal.

Could've had another in 2014, if not for that terrible overturned Dez catch.

He's not as bad of a GM as he's made out to be.

He's put together a lot of good teams over the years.

Try coming up with something original.
My man Jerry consistently spends the least amount of any team in the league. He does not care about winning. He cares about being relevant and the seats filled for the NFL game of the week. If he didn't have that he might bring in a real coach for a few years but thats about it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The question I asked myself is this. Is the Carolina Panthers fan base just miserable as this fan base? Or are they more miserable? If that's even possible. I believe even if we went on to super bowl this year it still wouldn't matter the fan base will still be miserable. I think it's just baked into the pie. I've been at Dallas cowboys fan since 1990. I've seen the best of times and the worst of times. And I have never had this mindset. Life is too short. Just go watch golf.
Long rant. This is just my opinion. I think there is disingenuous element comparing fanbases with one another. Do not get me wrong. I will be the first to say I love it whenever I boast, "Hey! My fanbase is the bestest!" lol.

No. I am referring only to comparisons. I think an honest alternative is asking another team's fan or fans how they feel about their favorite team. Then it is made transparently clear how they actually feel and not some kind of personal assumption.

Me? I became a fan in 1974. My personal fanhood has transversed through different consecutive acts played out by my favorite NFL franchise. The first act involved ten playoff appearances in twelve years. A Super Bowl win. Two Super Bowl losses. Three straight NFC Championship losses (sigh). Even three NFC divisional round losses and a wild card loss to boot.

Act No. 2 was three straight losing seasons. One happened during a freaking strike season involving replacement players. Talk about making things worse, haha. It was the Great Tom Landry's final act, something I had never experienced before as a Cowboys fan.

Act No. 3 was Jerry Jones' first act as well. Jones introduced one of college football's greatest coaching stars into the NFL in Jimmy Johnson. One year was bleak but hopeful. The next two years spawned both more confidence within me and return of contending Cowboys football. The next two years were fan bliss.

Act #4 began March 29, 1994. That fall's season ended bitterly against the <expletive> 49ers of all teams. The next season was the return of fan bliss and, unknowingly, the final taste of it.

[Rant Intermission]

12+3+1+2+2+(two)=22. Twenty-two years. Of many highs. A few lows. Of more than several non-competitive sessions. A bunch more realistic runs at beating other teams (and their fans) to the NFL's ultimate goal--even those runs that fell short.

[Rant Intermission ends]

Act #5. Dave Campo getting pantsed. Wade Phillips making lame ducks look good. Jason Garrett getting a head coaching job as a perceived wunderkind. Quincy Carter. Ryan Leaf. Chad Hutchinson. Three straight 5-11s. Three straight 8-8s. Historically worst NFL defenses in history. 1 2 3 4 5 6 NFC wild card losses (the last made NFL history). Teams that could not beat Aaron Rodgers (and Dean Blandino) MULTIPLE times. A team that failed to beat the New York Giants after sweeping them in the regular season. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NFC divisional round defeats. Demarcus Ware winning a Super Bowl with the Denver Broncos. Demarcus Ware getting into the Ring of Honor before a two-time defending Cowboys Super Bowl winning head coach (thank you Troy Aikman, Charlotte Anderson and Netflix documentary team). 15 winning seasons (I better add the last three straight have been 12-5). 13 seasons at or below .500.

The first four acts was a rollercoaster of monster climbs and kiddie hills. This last act has been less so. Ever ride a rollercoaster? I would label my first four acts as a Cowboys fan to the Texas Giant at Six Flags Over Texas. Old. Powerful. Dependable. Steady thrills.

This current act? Sticking with Six Flags in Arlington? Mr. Freeze. Hands down. Flashy. Fast. A quick high that shifts in reverse and done. 28 years of it. And counting.

WEEEEEEEEEEE!

/too long rant

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
It’s not the lack of success.

It’s the realization that ownership understands that they can print money without being successful.

That’s a pretty depressing place to be in if you’re super invested.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Long rant. This is just my opinion. I think there is disingenuous element comparing fanbases with one another. Do not get me wrong. I will be the first to say I love it whenever I boast, "Hey! My fanbase is the bestest!" lol.

No. I am referring only to comparisons. I think an honest alternative is asking another team's fan or fans how they feel about their favorite team. Then it is made transparently clear how they actually feel and not some kind of personal assumption.

Me? I became a fan in 1974. My personal fanhood has transversed through different consecutive acts played out by my favorite NFL franchise. The first act involved ten playoff appearances in twelve years. A Super Bowl win. Two Super Bowl losses. Three straight NFC Championship losses (sigh). Even three NFC divisional round losses and a wild card loss to boot.

Act No. 2 was three straight losing seasons. One happened during a freaking strike season involving replacement players. Talk about making things worse, haha. It was the Great Tom Landry's final act, something I had never experienced before as a Cowboys fan.

Act No. 3 was Jerry Jones' first act as well. Jones introduced one of college football's greatest coaching stars into the NFL in Jimmy Johnson. One year was bleak but hopeful. The next two years spawned both more confidence within me and return of contending Cowboys football. The next two years were fan bliss.

Act #4 began March 29, 1994. That fall's season ended bitterly against the <expletive> 49ers of all teams. The next season was the return of fan bliss and, unknowingly, the final taste of it.

[Rant Intermission]

12+3+1+2+2+(two)=22. Twenty-two years. Of many highs. A few lows. Of more than several non-competitive sessions. A bunch more realistic runs at beating other teams (and their fans) to the NFL's ultimate goal--even those runs that fell short.

[Rant Intermission ends]

Act #5. Dave Campo getting pantsed. Wade Phillips making lame ducks look good. Jason Garrett getting a head coaching job as a perceived wunderkind. Quincy Carter. Ryan Leaf. Chad Hutchinson. Three straight 5-11s. Three straight 8-8s. Historically worst NFL defenses in history. 1 2 3 4 5 6 NFC wild card losses (the last made NFL history). Teams that could not beat Aaron Rodgers (and Dean Blandino) MULTIPLE times. A team that failed to beat the New York Giants after sweeping them in the regular season. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NFC divisional round defeats. Demarcus Ware winning a Super Bowl with the Denver Broncos. Demarcus Ware getting into the Ring of Honor before a two-time defending Cowboys Super Bowl winning head coach (thank you Troy Aikman, Charlotte Anderson and Netflix documentary team). 15 winning seasons (I better add the last three straight have been 12-5). 13 seasons at or below .500.

The first four acts was a rollercoaster of monster climbs and kiddie hills. This last act has been less so. Ever ride a rollercoaster? I would label my first four acts as a Cowboys fan to the Texas Giant at Six Flags Over Texas. Old. Powerful. Dependable. Steady thrills.

This current act? Sticking with Six Flags in Arlington? Mr. Freeze. Hands down. Flashy. Fast. A quick high that shifts in reverse and done. 28 years of it. And counting.

WEEEEEEEEEEE!

/too long rant
That's a great post. Well worth the read. :bow:

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
_5_0_5055305480717.pt01.jpg

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Did we know that back in 1994 thus franchise was about to go on a dynasty run?
Interesting. I thought the Dynasty run started with the 1992 season.

Could've had another in 2008 if not for a fumble by Romo on a Field Goal.
that happened after the 2006 season. And we were a WC team that year, that might not even make the playoffs unless Romo is inserted for Bledsoe mid season. either way, def not a championship team undone by the bobbled snap.

I smell a troll here. Guy is either deliberately just trying to irritate people, or has no idea what the hell he is talking about and just likes to act superior without any actual basis for it.

I considered that it could be both, but we already have Rockport doing double duty on that.....

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Only when I come to the cowboys zone. This is the punishment for all my sins. I believe it's called self-flagellation.
you should ask reality for a positive Zone. He is the admin.
Or put really negative people on ignore.
Or start a positive only thread for those who are tired of the negative stuff.
Ask the mods to help keep the negative posters out of that one thread.

You should be able to have one thread with no negativity in it.
I say that and I am a negative poster. I would stay out of the positive only thread with no problem.

People like to complain, human nature, and the jones clan give us plenty to complain about.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I’ve got to be honest with you all—I'm not disappointed in this fanbase; I'm downright appalled. The lack of confidence I see here is staggering just because we havent gotten to the big dance in 28 years.

We'll guess what- 28 years is.a very small sample size in the grand scheme of things. This franchise has 5 rings, which not top many other fanbases can say.

How can so many of you, who call yourselves Cowboys fans, be filled with doubt and negativity about this team?

I understand that every season has its ups and downs, but the way some of you talk, you'd think we’re doomed before the season even starts. Where’s the faith? Where’s the loyalty? I can’t, for the life of me, see eye to eye with anyone who claims to be a fan but only spreads doubt and negativity.

Did we know that back in 1994 thus franchise was about to go on a dynasty run?

I have absolutely no respect for any Cowboys fan who doubts this team. You either believe in the star, or you don’t. If you’re going to jump ship every time the water gets a little rough, maybe it’s time to find a new team to “support.” But for those of us who truly believe, we know what this team is capable of, and we stand by them through thick and thin.

So, if you’re one of those who’s lost confidence, maybe take a step back and rethink what it means to be a Cowboys fan. Because here, we believe in our team—no matter what.

A lot of members here have no spine whatsoever and it's why Cowboys fans have such a reputation of being considered "bandwagon" fans.

Do better.

Go Cowboys.
The Cowboys have the highest Super Bowl win percentage in the league. But young people think if events didn't happen in their time of existence, it didn't happen.

cald0d30s0

Reaction score
Here we go again….

1. We like our guys
2. All in
3. Taco Charlton aka War Daddy
4. Mazi Smith
5. Jason Garret
6. Moral Victory

Almost 30 years…

kskboys

Reaction score
I was once a homer fan too. Every year my Cowboys were going to win a Super Bowl, or so I hoped. There were years when we had no real QB. I had hope. There were always star players to give us hope.

But now, after 60 years as a fan, I am being realistic. We had a good team last year, but there were obvious holes in the roster which became apparent over the course of the year. I had hope. They were blown wide open in the GB game. Then Jerry said, "I'm all in". I had hope again. Jerry was going to finally do something to fill those holes in the roster. But Jerry did nothing. He sat on his hands as solid Cowboys starters left for free agency. He didn't sign anyone to replace them. Then Jerry clarified what he meant by all in. He was lying. He trying to fool his fans again. All these recent moves signing players who were unsigned in August, or were about to be cut by their previous teams is not all in. It is consolation.

Joseph, Phillips, and Lawson are not the players they once were any more than Anthony Barr was the player we saw having great seasons in his prime. These are cheap alternatives. It is Rocky Colavito playing right field for the NY Yankees in 1968. Right now we are seeing these guys for what they were. When the season starts we will see them as they are now.

There is nothing wrong with being a homer fan. There is nothing wrong with being a realistic fan either. I have had enough of the hype and pomp. I want to see results now. That is all that matters to me.
Absolutely. However, it's extremely childish to crapp on those who exercise their fanhood in a different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.