Can Dak shine with new coach?

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
lol....This is Funny...dang Dak you even lost Skip.....look at 2:15 into the video LOL

Yeah I've been neutral on Dak really, but he has pretty much lost me also.....and I've really tried hard.

He's just not seeing the field, eyeing who he is throwing to right off of the snap like a college QB.

Coaching won't help at this point.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dear fellow fanzone freaks--- jared Goff and to an extent Carson Wentz did not play well their first year

but when the got new coaching and players too for Wentz...they both are shining as good QB's...Do

you all think the same would be true with Dak if he got similar coaching change and maybe more

receivers or players?...Or is Dak who he is ...Dak?

thanks for the opinions..they are greatly appreciated

sincerely
GORICO

For the answer, review the Jax game where the Cowboys won 40-7.

Dak wins when he gets good pass protection.

He got good pass pro against Jax, in part because the game plan was for him to run with the ball more often.

They have to scheme to get better pass protection.

On the play in the last game where C-Williams was called for holding, the blame is on the play call/design. That play puts the LG in a bad situation. If they are going to design/call a play that puts a strain on the OG, then do it such that it's the All-Pro Zack Martin and not the rookie C-Williams.

Regardless of the method to achieve it, getting good pass protection for Dak should be the top priority.

Aikman struggled when the pass protection struggled (see 1994 NFC Championship game). If Erik Williams didn't blow out his knee in the car accident, Dallas wins that game.

Good Pass Protection = Dak Wins.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dear fellow fanzone freaks--- jared Goff and to an extent Carson Wentz did not play well their first year

but when the got new coaching and players too for Wentz...they both are shining as good QB's...Do

you all think the same would be true with Dak if he got similar coaching change and maybe more

sincerely
GORICO

I think Dak might have a chance, but nothing is a guarantee. He's got some terrible habits and tendencies that I'm not sure anyone can fix. But what I do know is that the Garrett-Linehan dynamic gives Prescott no chance.

So, in short, he might have some chance with new coaching buy none with this coaching.

Reactions: CWR

Batman1980

Reaction score
We've seen Dak with this coaching. 7-9 in his last 16 games, struggles to climb in the pocket, find open receivers, throw for 200 yards or avoid turn-overs.

CWR

Reaction score

sincerely
GORICO

I think its really difficult to evaluate Dak based on our current coaching and play calling. Im not a Dak fanatical or a hater. I though I was seeing progress the last few games, and then last week happened and it was hard to watch.

If Im coaching Dak I am making certain he runs the ball 5 times a game MINIMUM. Im also putting him on the move where he seems to excel and Im calling faster developing plays.

Someone mentioned in another thread how Romo often held the ball too long as well and I have to question how much the system is hurting our QB play. It sickens me to see our lame coaching and play calling week after week.

All said Id be happy to give someone else a shot, but it appears we have no one else.

Cmac

Reaction score
Yes, new coaching likely makes Dak better. To me, he is a symptom. He can get better with some medicine. But, he is the fever, not the disease. Garrett is the disease. Cure that and the fever gets all better
Agree.....it sure as heck worked for Jared Goff. Or Dak is gonna find out soon that he gets on the Fall Guy list.

Cmac

Reaction score
We've seen Dak with this coaching. 7-9 in his last 16 games, struggles to climb in the pocket, find open receivers, throw for 200 yards or avoid turn-overs.
What's Kellen Moore doing about that?

CWR

Reaction score
I think Dak might have a chance, but nothing is a guarantee. He's got some terrible habits and tendencies that I'm not sure anyone can fix. But what I do know is that the Garrett-Linehan dynamic gives Prescott no chance.

So, in short, he might have some chance with new coaching buy none with this coaching.

I think if we had Andy Reid or someone of the like Dak would be pretty solid. Hell hed maybe even have the chance to grow into a damn good qb. But with these coaches hes going backwards. He wont likely have the opportunity to grow and become a better qb. If he does so it will be inspite of our coaching/play calling.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think if we had Andy Reid or someone of the like Dak would be pretty solid. Hell hed maybe even have the chance to grow into a damn good qb. But with these coaches hes going backwards. He wont likely have the opportunity to grow and become a better qb. If he does so it will be inspite of our coaching/play calling.

Like I said earlier, I give him some chance with a new coach, and no chance with these guys.

Despite being quarterbacks, they've never been able to develop one. Ever. Each and every guy they're ever had has gotten worse, not better. But I guess failed quarterbacks create failed quarterbacks?

Personally, I'm all in on getting Lincoln Riley. I'd love to see Jerry back up the money truck and hand everything over to him. Give him 2019 to work with and assess Dak Prescott and take it from there based on his recommendations. Trust your head coach (when the guy has shown he's capable).

Reactions: CWR

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
I definitely think it is possible. I agree at the Jeff Goff comparison. He is resembling a 1st rd QB a lot more than he did year one with Fisher. In fact I think a lot of folks felt like besides Wentz we had gotten the next best qb in the draft. I think Dak is not as good as he was in 2016, but not as bad as he is now either. In 2016 I think he was put in the perfect storm. A solid, fully healthy top tier OL with a road grader mentality that opened up massive running game holes and gave him all day to throw. He had a solid TE that was reliable to be where he was supposed to, and could only add to the blocking assignments for him and or Zeke. Dez was still a threat even if he was starting to decline, he drew coverage, and Beasley and crew picked up a lot of the benefit.

Now, after the OL is nicked up, and also inexperienced he is either under too much pressure from the left guard spot and up the middle, or when he does have time he thinks like he is standing behind the 2016 OL and has all day to look down field. He's still missing Witten and his reliability to be a dump off, but with Cooper he is adding the Dez threat back to the equation, only he will have more ability to separate and get open then Dez did, but just needs some time to build up chemistry. That all said his accuracy is still an issue, and I'm sure there are some mechanics involved in that as well as his mental blocks he's developed on finding open reads and or taking too much time to look the wrong way and miss the open read. Not to mention over throwing or coming up short on passes.

For 700K you're not going to find a better QB than what we have now for next year. If a new coach can't get him to play better we will be drafting one I'm sure in 2020. If he does play to expectations, I'm sure he'll get tagged for a year to make sure before a long term deal is inked. As questionable as we all think the front office is at times, I think if anything they've proven to be more financially frugal in recent years. I doubt they'll extend him to some $100M long term deal before they feel there is evidence to justify it.

slick325

Reaction score
Can ownership take the fair assessment of their QB by HC candidates if it is not the same as what the Jones boys feel about their QB? Further, will they allow the new HC to pick HIS QB if he doesn't want Prescott?

If the answers to each question is no...then it truly does not matter who the HC is and things will be just the same in Dallas.

cern

Reaction score
A new coach would have to come in and inherit him and be tasked to fix him.

I don't think that is an attractive job pitch.
in any interview with a prospective new coach, the first question asked will likely be whether he thinks dak can become a successful nfl qb. a no answer will end the interview.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
blah blah, he didn't need better coaching when he was playing on a good team and all his responsibilities was to protect the ball. With a weaker team where he has to play like a real starter, it's everybody else fault. wow just wow.

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
The main problem with Dak is he thinks he has gotten better. Yes, he feels great but feeling and doing are two different things.

I really like him but I wouldn't miss him if he was benched or off the team. That's just where I'm at right now. I'm frustrated with him. His feel good story has expired.

He's the opposite of Sean Lee. Lee can play but gets hurt a lot. Dak can't play but is durable. I'm frustrated by both players but none more than Dak. At least, we have LVE and JS to pick up the slack.

I have no idea where I would start with Dak. Maybe a pros cons list. Dak could probably shine in the AFL. :facepalm:

Big_D

Reaction score
Coaching and scheme definitely matter. Maybe he improves? but we at least know it’ll never happen with the current coach.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
A HC, OC and QB coach who knows the limitations of Dak and can use his strengths, yes. In fact most of the league operates like this.

conner01

Reaction score
I don’t know if a new staff can fix Dak but I do want to find out. What I do know is Dak is gonna be the QB next year. And I know this staff can’t fix him

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
For the answer, review the Jax game where the Cowboys won 40-7.

Dak wins when he gets good pass protection.

He got good pass pro against Jax, in part because the game plan was for him to run with the ball more often.

They have to scheme to get better pass protection.

On the play in the last game where C-Williams was called for holding, the blame is on the play call/design. That play puts the LG in a bad situation. If they are going to design/call a play that puts a strain on the OG, then do it such that it's the All-Pro Zack Martin and not the rookie C-Williams.

Regardless of the method to achieve it, getting good pass protection for Dak should be the top priority.

Aikman struggled when the pass protection struggled (see 1994 NFC Championship game). If Erik Williams didn't blow out his knee in the car accident, Dallas wins that game.

Good Pass Protection = Dak Wins.
you can't win consistently with your QB running and some of those was not planned runs, but him taking off after he pulled the ball down. The Jags weren't spying on him and thus he ran wild....the titans had a spy on dak and everytime he tried to take off, they had a LB or safety chasing him out of bounce....they had decided we will not let him beat us with his legs, we are going to force him to pass it, knowing that they had a better chance of stopping him....

and yes good pass protection helps, but watch the titans game and how quickly Mariotta would get the ball out when he felt the pressure and dak would just pull the ball down and start running....