Chris Carter says Dallas should trade Romo for JJ Watt

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just Watt? Why not Watt, Clowny and Hopkins? Teams love to trade probowl players in their prime for 37 year old brittle qbs with $25 million salaries! Who wouldn't?!?!

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
J.J. Watt has his own back problems and looked like a shell of himself before he went on I.R.. In fact there are some in Houston who have doubts he'll ever play at his former level again.

Oh and a great QB is always worth more than a great defensive player. Always. The Texans went 2-14 with J.J. and the talking heads here know it.

khiladi

Reaction score
So we can't start Romo over Dak because of questions on his back, but we should trade for Watt coming after back surgery?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
i heard watt's back is pretty bad, so he may never be the player he was, or even be able to play a whole season.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, where are you hearing this? There is no way on God's green earth that Houston would give JJ Watt for Romo.

What is absolutely hilarious to me is how many are so quick to point to Romo's injury history but then seem to completely dismiss Watt's injury history. You folks do realize that Watt is about one play away from retirement, don't you? The guy plays on the defensive line, don't you think pushing 330 lbs. offensive linemen might impact that back a little?

Why in God's name would anyone want to trade for this guy? Give me some young pass rushers from the draft...and lots of them.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Why? Watt's injury is no joke and his salary is stupid for a defensive player.

Put a healthy Romo on this year's Texans team and they are contenders with or without Watt.

Well, it was a nice thought..

We should just keep Romo at least another year unless we get a late 1 or early 2...

Having Romo just compete w Dak for the starting job would be nice. Loser takes backup...

The game is totally QB driven, and despite being a Boise Alum, it'd be nice to know he season isn't over if Dak/Romo goes down - Kellen isn't doing anything but as a decent 2-4 game patch..

On another note, I really hope Kellen coaches in Dallas - He's gonna be a good one..

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
What is absolutely hilarious to me is how many are so quick to point to Romo's injury history but then seem to completely dismiss Watt's injury history. You folks do realize that Watt is about one play away from retirement, don't you? The guy plays on the defensive line, don't you think pushing 330 lbs. offensive linemen might impact that back a little?

Why in God's name would anyone want to trade for this guy? Give me some young pass rushers from the draft...and lots of them.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion on the worth of Watt vs Romo, but taking age and past performance into consideration, I don't see any way possible that Houston would pull the trigger on that deal. You may know more about Watt's physical condition that I do (I don't really follow Houston or Watt, so my evaluation may be way off base), but from what I know, I don't think he's nearing retirement. Admittedly, I might be wrong. One area I know we agree on is what I highlighted above.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Well, it was a nice thought..

We should just keep Romo at least another year unless we get a late 1 or early 2...

Having Romo just compete w Dak for the starting job would be nice. Loser takes backup...

The game is totally QB driven, and despite being a Boise Alum, it'd be nice to know he season isn't over if Dak/Romo goes down - Kellen isn't doing anything but as a decent 2-4 game patch..

On another note, I really hope Kellen coaches in Dallas - He's gonna be a good one..

I actually agree with keeping Romo unless they can get a high pick for him...at least a 2nd rounder.

Don't think it'll happen as Jerry seems fine just letting assets walk for nothing.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
You're certainly entitled to your opinion on the worth of Watt vs Romo, but taking age and past performance into consideration, I don't see any way possible that Houston would pull the trigger on that deal. You may know more about Watt's physical condition that I do (I don't really follow Houston or Watt, so my evaluation may be way off base), but from what I know, I don't think he's nearing retirement. Admittedly, I might be wrong. One area I know we agree on is what I highlighted above.

They've been talking about somehow aquiring Romo down here.

They'd be instant contenders with him. I think they beat the Patriots with competent QB play and Romo is more than competent.

Just to be clear I don't think a Watt trade is feasible and don't want one. He's a shell of what he was and his salary is ridiculous. I would ask for a decent draft pick...at least a 2nd rounder.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
One thing is clear by the gist of this thread -- Chris Carter doesn't have much of a realistic perception of Romo as a bargaining chip. I can hardly believe he actually thinks Romo for Watt would constitute a realistic trade. Outside of him being on a pretty powerful recreational drug, that suggestion makes no sense. Romo is old and seriously comprised physically, while Watt is young and likely has a better chance for recovery. As much as I'd love to see that happen, it's just wishful thinking for fans to entertain such thoughts. I think Romo is most likely to be released.

noletime95

Reaction score
I do think there is a decent chance for Romo to Houston, but not for Watt or Clowney. Maybe Covington and a pick? More likely just a day 2 pick. A 2nd rounder would be a helpful.

CWR

Reaction score
J.J. Watt has his own back problems and looked like a shell of himself before he went on I.R.. In fact there are some in Houston who have doubts he'll ever play at his former level again.

Oh and a great QB is always worth more than a great defensive player. Always. The Texans went 2-14 with J.J. and the talking heads here know it.

Hes also 10 years younger than Romo and the best defensive player in the league.

If Im betting on one of them to heal up then Im betting on youth.

No dig at Romo, and I get his value as a potential franchise QB for a season or two but Id highly, highly doubt the Texans go for this deal. Its a DREAM deal for us.