Twitter: Colin: Gap between Dak and Dalton is not massive

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Dallas doesn't need a quarterback. They need to lean heavy in the draft to make the defense a powerhouse it once was.

Qcard

Reaction score
Colin expounds on his comments about the Dallas QB situation from yesterday:

The guys have found their golden goose. The Sponsors force Doug Gottlieb and Colin to spew this crap....

blast from the Dak Haters Past

:lmao::laugh:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You pointed reasons why it was tougher on Dalton but NEVER in Dalton's entire career has he ever had a Brees/Brady/ Rodgers type of season. All three of those QB's either were league MVP or in Brees case one season was 2nd in voting for MVP and Dalton was never ever in that conversation.
I wasn't truly comparing Andy the QB to those guys.

I don't understand why people are so quick to bash Andy..or prevent others from giving him a little bit of credit or...{gasp}...sympathy. How dare I. Nothing against you...I don't HAVE to "get" it. It is what it is.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cousins is on pace to throw for 4000 yds 35 tds and 13 picks. And his team blows with a 6-8 record and nothing to show for it for yet another year. Passing stats mean very little in terms of a QBs value.
Winston last year should explain that.
I think a lot of people are so wrapped up in their Dak versus Andy warpath...they lose sight of the things that really matter.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And that is better than Dalton at his best.

Using W-L stats and ignoring 2 other phases of the game is only compelling to those that are already convinced.

EVERYONE..to a man...is already "convinced". No matter what "side" you are on...there's nothing anyone can say to change anything. You me, them...too stubborn to look at things with a different perspective.

We just think we know it all and everyone else is stupid.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But lets get back to the original argument which you guys have dropped. Dak is already better than Dalton has ever been and is on the upside of his career while Dalton is 35 years old.
EVERYONE..to a man...is already "convinced". No matter what "side" you are on...there's nothing anyone can say to change anything. You me, them...too stubborn to look at things with a different perspective.

We just think we know it all and everyone else is stupid.

I think most people that prefer Andy don't look at him as a long term answer. They are looking at:

1) avoiding a huge contract
2) As good as Dak has been...we STILL got nothing.
3) Andy could be a bridge for another year or two while we fix the problems and draft the next youngster.

There's no "window"....even a great draft and FA's might take a year or two to get going. Now we're 2-3 years later into a big contract.

Now..if you think EVERYthing can be fixed in a year, you are good with Dak's production...AND you feel the contract can be absorbed....of course it would make sense to you to keep Dak.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are going to have to do better than a blanket statement. As I pointed out before there are many factors that go into the outcome of games. You repeating yourself really doesn't do much.

So what are they? You can comprehensively quantify EVERYTHIGN that goes into wins and losses? Seems kind of a random thing to me...that you can't always pigeon hole.

It really is generalities, really. Great defense. A couple lucky calls. A key turnover. There's just so many things. That boil down to...

did you win or lose.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DAL can still get Wilson. Now there’s legs that NYJ are going to stick with Darnold and actually build an o line for him. He’s really improved the last half of the season and MIA has the 3rd pick with 2 1sts and 2 2nds, they will be a trade partner for a team to move up, MIA needs players. So 2 and 3 are there for the taking. And Lawrence and Wilson aren’t the only 2 franchise QBs in this draft.
I think it's very premature to call them "franchise players". I've got my money on "bust" or at least disappointing on Lawrence. Think Tim Tebow.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think most people that prefer Andy don't look at him as a long term answer. They are looking at:

1) avoiding a huge contract
2) As good as Dak has been...we STILL got nothing.
3) Andy could be a bridge for another year or two while we fix the problems and draft the next youngster.

There's no "window"....even a great draft and FA's might take a year or two to get going. Now we're 2-3 years later into a big contract.

Now..if you think EVERYthing can be fixed in a year, you are good with Dak's production...AND you feel the contract can be absorbed....of course it would make sense to you to keep Dak.
Very well done.

Dak has been good. And bad. So far, he has not been worth anywhere near the contract he's insisting on. Before the contract mess, I really liked the kid and was on his side. Then, the bad faith bargaining. Or rather the lack of bargaining from his camp. Refusing to even return phone calls. Really? What are we a 15 year old girl?

kskboys

Reaction score
I think it's very premature to call them "franchise players". I've got my money on "bust" or at least disappointing on Lawrence. Think Tim Tebow.
And now you've gone the opposite route. You really need to analyze better. Lawrence is in no way whatsoever even remotely like Tebow. Exactly what makes you say that?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And now you've gone the opposite route. You really need to analyze better. Lawrence is in no way whatsoever even remotely like Tebow. Exactly what makes you say that?
No sir...I wasn't saying they are the same QB. They have WAY different styles and admittedly...Lawrence has more NFL skills.

I Was talking strictly end result. It's just my (inexpert!) opinion that Clemson has a perfect system and perfect players for Lawrence. I also think they play a soft conference...even with a NC.

I think the NFL will be a different story for him.

As a general rule....highly rated and highly picked QB's don't do as well as expected.

Again...all just my opinion! PLEASE don't make me try to dig up some technical facts about it! :grin:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh..one more thing...assessing what's going on here with our QB controversy.....easy. thousands of posts about it and I wanted to boil down the reality of it.

Assessing NCAA QB's to the NFL? Not so easy for me! Dig?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So what are they? You can comprehensively quantify EVERYTHIGN that goes into wins and losses? Seems kind of a random thing to me...that you can't always pigeon hole.

It really is generalities, really. Great defense. A couple lucky calls. A key turnover. There's just so many things. That boil down to...

did you win or lose.

You cannot and that's the point. We do know the variables for the most part though and quarterback play is only a subset of one of those variables.

It also comes down to a holistic and reductionist approach to things.

Reductionism has led us to chemistry and physics where we can predict the motion of planets engineer cars and computers and all manner of accurate and precise things.

You reduce the quarterback into the stats of yardage yards per attempt accuracy touchdowns picks sacks drops and so on and so forth.

On the other hand you have wholistic analysis which describes sciences like psychology or economics. Human behavior and markets remain wildly unpredictable because of the approach.

At the end of the day looking at wins and losses to judge quarterback play ignores the performance of all of the other positions on offense, the defense and its constituents, special teams role, and all of that plus the quarterback for the other team.

If you reduce it to yards accuracy etc then you can encompass most of what a quarterback actually does in a game. of course there are intangibles and things that are hard to quantify like leadership pocket awareness capability and so forth however in Prescott's instance by all accounts he excels at all of those.

When viewed with a reductionist scientific approach Dak Prescott is a very very good quarterback.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

The gap between Dalton and most of the best QBs in the league isn't massive, that's why he was a starter for all those years and made the Pro Bowl several times. However, he's now a backup quarterback with Dallas because there is a gap, and in this league, any gap can be the difference between winning and losing a game. (And if you consider Prescott's running ability, that alone creates a pretty good-sized gap.)

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I wasn't truly comparing Andy the QB to those guys.

I don't understand why people are so quick to bash Andy..or prevent others from giving him a little bit of credit or...{gasp}...sympathy. How dare I. Nothing against you...I don't HAVE to "get" it. It is what it is.

Gee I don't why people that think Dalton is a good QB don't understand that not everyone agrees with that and want to question that. You don't understand why people think what they do but then you don't understand that some people don't agree with you.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Wasn't Wentz a top 5 QB before he got hurt the year they won their SB? The guy was tearing it up and was on pace for an MVP season. He really hasn't been the same since coming back from the injury only to injure his back the following year.

Cowherd still had hot takes this season that leads me to believe that he still thinks of Wentz as a top tier, elite QB.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It's not "massive", but I think there is a gap between 33-year-old Dalton and 27-year-old Prescott.

As for those over 4 games...well...again, although Dak IS better (imo), his stats this year were preposterously deceptive due to us getting to face some of the very worst pass defenses early in the year.

There for a while, Seattle, Atlanta, and Cleveland had the 3 very worst pass defenses. They got healthier later in the year, but those pass defenses were putrid early in the year.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The guys have found their golden goose. The Sponsors force Doug Gottlieb and Colin to spew this crap....

blast from the Dak Haters Past

:lmao::laugh:

That guy clearly doesn't read this forum. It's funny watching pessimists and haters play Maverick martyr when in fact they're legion.