Twitter: Colin: Gap between Dak and Dalton is not massive

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This has been posted a lot here so its not news:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/af283d/percentage_of_salary_cap_taken_up_by_super_bowl/

The median there is 6.7% of cap. On a $200m cap that would mean your typical super bowl winning QB would take up about $13.4m of capspace nowadays.

The story there is that QB salaries have really got out of line recently and that QB's on their rookie contracts win a lot of the super bowls.
there is a caveat to that....when they sign the original contract, they may take a larger portion of the cap...ala Eli had 16% cap hit, but the "average", remains the same and the cap goes up, thus the percentage drops....and the contracts get reworked, with money pushed to future nad dead cap eventually......

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak has only won 1 playoff game in over 4 years so not much to brag about as you continue to compare him to Dalton.
Peyton Manning was 0-4 in the playoffs, going three straight years and losing each year in the first round...I guess Indy was stupid for keeping him and giving him another contract.

Dalton was 0-4 in playoffs. his team used him to tank one season and get #1 over all pick and kicked him to the curb....yeah...that Dalton!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It doesn’t bias out play action, because Dak is a top two QB in its usage, next to Goff and he’s awful on his second progression and nobody doubts he has a ‘high completion percentage’ of useless yardage many times. We know he can throw from a quick drop back, when guys are wide open and the blocking is excellent like in these
Clips but he’s severely limited on a traditional drop back, meaning he is actually a severely limited QB.
hmmm, interesting...yet he is top 5 or top 10 in every statistical category for a QB....interesting that he can only do one read otherwise he fails.....

khiladi

Reaction score
hmmm, interesting...yet he is top 5 or top 10 in every statistical category for a QB....interesting that he can only do one read otherwise he fails.....

Yeah, he’s top four year in and year out with Goff in terms of drop in QB rating from first to second progression. Both these dudes rely on play-action more than other QB in the league by far. Whether or not ‘stats’ are high changes nothing of this point.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yeah, he’s top four year in and year out with Goff in terms of drop in QB rating from first to second progression. Both these dudes rely on play-action more than other QB in the league by far. Whether or not ‘stats’ are high changes nothing of this point.
yeah, sure thing...

you know his stats are bad, between the 11:14 mark of 2nd quarter, to 3:46 mark of 3rd quarter, in games that start at 4:00 PM , north of mississipi line, played on grass, against AFC teams...I mean how could anyone want that type of quarterback ....just awful :rolleyes::eek:

btw, I like to ask if you pull this far from up your arse or is there anywhere you can poin to that supports this made up assumption of yours....

zeke21

Reaction score
If we beat Giants.. then we got 7-9 on the season.. just 1 win less than the 'wonderboy dak' went last season with a better defence and better O-Line.

No the QB is not the sole reason for a win/loss record.. but seriously.. how much more evidence do we need that dak is not worth the highest QB wage in the NFL?!! It is a shame that Dalton didn't get any snaps in pre-season due to COVID.. then got injured early.. then had concussion and Covid.. that three week period cost us the season.. not the fact that Dak went down.

IF we had started Dalton from week 1.. then I think we are in the playoffs this year.

Dak is a solid QB. I think he is actually better than Dalton.. but there is simply not enough difference to justify why one gets a franchise crippling contract and the other is floated as a FA. I'd keep Dalton as a bridge.. let Dak go and start to build a solid defence.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
10 points of career qb rating , as well as win percentage and 6 years younger says massive gap.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Peyton Manning was 0-4 in the playoffs, going three straight years and losing each year in the first round...I guess Indy was stupid for keeping him and giving him another contract.

Dalton was 0-4 in playoffs. his team used him to tank one season and get #1 over all pick and kicked him to the curb....yeah...that Dalton!

Again, you people that want to compare Dak to Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers is insanity at its finest. Such a big difference the team Dak started for than what Peyton started for but you go ahead and overreach so as to try and defend your Dak love.

Qcard

Reaction score

Dem are Facts Sir!!:muttley::hammer:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The play here is pay Andy and tag and trade Dak, save money, gain draft pick(s) Either guy is capable of guiding a team to the dance. Do what is best for the team

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Again, you people that want to compare Dak to Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers is insanity at its finest. Such a big difference the team Dak started for than what Peyton started for but you go ahead and overreach so as to try and defend your Dak love.
I am not comparing...I am comparing results as a measure of what we should do next....you keep bringing up Dak's playoff record....so does it mean Dak will never win another playoff? or ever get to the superbowl?

I can list a bunch of other QBs if you like...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If we beat Giants.. then we got 7-9 on the season.. just 1 win less than the 'wonderboy dak' went last season with a better defence and better O-Line.

No the QB is not the sole reason for a win/loss record.. but seriously.. how much more evidence do we need that dak is not worth the highest QB wage in the NFL?!! It is a shame that Dalton didn't get any snaps in pre-season due to COVID.. then got injured early.. then had concussion and Covid.. that three week period cost us the season.. not the fact that Dak went down.

IF we had started Dalton from week 1.. then I think we are in the playoffs this year.

Dak is a solid QB. I think he is actually better than Dalton.. but there is simply not enough difference to justify why one gets a franchise crippling contract and the other is floated as a FA. I'd keep Dalton as a bridge.. let Dak go and start to build a solid defence.
give me 4 4-11 teams at the end of the year, make sure they play their back up QBs and I will give you a winning season by Dak every year. I will give you total domination....

if you can gaurantee me we will play at least 10 4 win teams next year and make sure 8 of them play their back up QBs, then I am OK with keeping Dalton, because that's all he is capable of beating....

if we start Dalton week 1 we would have been 4-12......perhaps we should have and had a chance at Sewell....dang it

zeke21

Reaction score
give me 4 4-11 teams at the end of the year, make sure they play their back up QBs and I will give you a winning season by Dak every year. I will give you total domination....

if you can gaurantee me we will play at least 10 4 win teams next year and make sure 8 of them play their back up QBs, then I am OK with keeping Dalton, because that's all he is capable of beating....

if we start Dalton week 1 we would have been 4-12......perhaps we should have and had a chance at Sewell....dang it
Dak will get his money.. and then we can hold the conversation for the next five years.. as our defence gets torched every week because our entire cap is spent on the offence.. and we will have to lose a WR or 2 because we can't afford to keep them all.. and then Daks poor play will be blamed on the lack of WRs.. and so on and so forth.

Daks best year was his first when he was given the keys to a ferrari.. and still botched it. He has shown nothing since that indicates he is the QB worth the NFLs largest contract. I'd go to the draft and use Dalton as a bridge.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
Dak will get his money.. and then we can hold the conversation for the next five years.. as our defence gets torched every week because our entire cap is spent on the offence.. and we will have to lose a WR or 2 because we can't afford to keep them all.. and then Daks poor play will be blamed on the lack of WRs.. and so on and so forth.

Daks best year was his first when he was given the keys to a ferrari.. and still botched it. He has shown nothing since that indicates he is the QB worth the NFLs largest contract. I'd go to the draft and use Dalton as a bridge.

Sad but probably true.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

our defense gets torched because our defensive drafts are bad...I mean really bad. in 15 years, we have drafted 1 impact player, Lawrnece, if you can call him that and we had another good player in Byron Jones, that we started as a saftey before realizing the guy was a good CB and then decided to let him walk because he couldn't get intercpetions.....

you don't build a defense through FA. you can't. nobody is done it and succeeded.....you have to draft good players and for whatever reason we haven't been any good in drafting defensive players, in the meantime during the same period we drafted Zeke, CD, Dak, Smith, Martin, Fredrick (retired), Gallup, Pollard, Shcultz, got Cooper,Murray, Dez, Doug Free, .....

instead on defense we gambled on the Likes of Jaylon Smith, Lee (injury history), LVE (injury history), Taco, Hill, Gregory (drug history), Claibourne,

and Dak since he was given Cooper mid 2018, produced the #1 offense and top 5 scoring offense in the league...

fix the defense through draft...because you will not be able to fix the defense with 185M in cap space....

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Every statistical category???

Lets look at Red Zone Accuracy and Production.

2018 - Accuracy - 50.75% (ranked 22nd of players connecting over 20 times)
TD's - 12 (ranked 22nd)

2019 - Accuracy - 52.46% (ranked 21st of players connecting over 20 times).
TD's - 16 (ranked 13th)

2020 - Accuracy - 55.00% vrs Dalton 56.82%

Who cares if he makes yards if he cant finish it off.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Simply not true. Not even close

It is absolutely true. Dak is not a natural gun slinger and is extremely innacurate on his timing throws. Heck, he lost to David Carr in a throwing contest years after Carr had retired. Dak is a great athlete who can hit wide open wrs. He doesn't throw a great deep ball or make anticipatory throws. He's nowhere near Mahomes or Rodgers.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
our defense gets torched because our defensive drafts are bad...I mean really bad. in 15 years, we have drafted 1 impact player, Lawrnece, if you can call him that and we had another good player in Byron Jones, that we started as a saftey before realizing the guy was a good CB and then decided to let him walk because he couldn't get intercpetions.....

you don't build a defense through FA. you can't. nobody is done it and succeeded.....you have to draft good players and for whatever reason we haven't been any good in drafting defensive players, in the meantime during the same period we drafted Zeke, CD, Dak, Smith, Martin, Fredrick (retired), Gallup, Pollard, Shcultz, got Cooper,Murray, Dez, Doug Free, .....

instead on defense we gambled on the Likes of Jaylon Smith, Lee (injury history), LVE (injury history), Taco, Hill, Gregory (drug history), Claibourne,

and Dak since he was given Cooper mid 2018, produced the #1 offense and top 5 scoring offense in the league...

fix the defense through draft...because you will not be able to fix the defense with 185M in cap space....

Partially correct, which isnt bad for your good self.

I agree you cant build the WHOLE defense on FA, but conversely, you can't do it entirely through the draft....if you try to then it's going to take years (which negates the years that Dak is still a top 10 QB).

You continually fail to accept that us signing: Poe, McCoy (with fitness concern), Griffin, Worley, Clinton-Dix was because we didnt have the CAP to spend on better FA's. We sign the Jaylon Smith's and other question marks because they're cheap as we spend too much on offense.

We signed these low cost scrubs because we had so many holes and couldnt afford: Hargrave, Martinez, Ogbah, Floyd, Bradberry any of which would have improved our Defense.

streetcredit

Reaction score
It is absolutely true. Dak is not a natural gun slinger and is extremely innacurate on his timing throws. Heck, he lost to David Carr in a throwing contest years after Carr had retired. Dak is a great athlete who can hit wide open wrs. He doesn't throw a great deep ball or make anticipatory throws. He's nowhere near Mahomes or Rodgers.

the truth hurts, but there are tons of factors that make a winning QB...I agree that Dak has some of them, but $40 million?