Cowlishaw: As Cowboys run out of time, it's hard to trust all-seeing GM/owner Jerry Jones

wileedog

Reaction score
Jerry's organization is good enough to make a wildcard round appearance once every few years. However, it's not good enough to compete with elite teams consistently and, in some cases, at all. The Cowboys haven't beaten New England since Tom Brady and Belichick came to town. They've lost the last five games against Green Bay. Their win over Seattle last season was the exception rather than the rule. The Cowboys flounder in the divisional round because that's where they face the elite teams -- the teams who make the playoffs year in and year out. That's the key to winning Super Bowls, stringing playoff appearances together. They Cowboys organization simply hadn't been good enough to do that.

Just wait until Romo is gone and Parcells and Payton around around to replace him. Those wild card games will be distant memories...

khiladi

Reaction score
I don't buy your argument but let's say you're right. Then he would not
shop for assistant coaches in bargain bin basements of the league. He
never goes after top shelf coaches but, inexperienced coaches like Garrett or
has been never was coaches like Phillips.

He thinks he knows football while the past 20 years have smacked him in the
face with mediocre. He's building another great big complex in North Texas
complete with restaurants, hotels, shops, etc. He continues to tout his job
as GM but, the results everyone can see are historically and annually bad.
He refuses to cede control rather than try and get the best football man
to bring him some glory just once more in his life. I grant you that Jerry loves
ego, power & control more than money and apparently more than winning too.

He paid Garrett a hell of a lot of money even as OC. Jerry pays for guys that thinks they can make him look like a genius, that did it without Jimmy Johnson..

khiladi

Reaction score
I disagree or he would be hiring an expert to build a consistent winning franchise. The cowboys are just a cool fun hobby for a very rich man.

Many rich people do things for ego and arrogance and pride, not just money. Jerry clearly desires to show the world he can do it without Jimmy Johnson. It eats at him that Jimmy gets all the credit.

wileedog

Reaction score
In order to fuel your hatred you always go back to Jerry making money. Jerry will make money regardless. We haven't won anything in 20 years and he is now worth over 4 Billion Dollars.

Jerry will never give up control of this team. And this team will continue to make money regardless of 8-8, 12-4 or 5-11.

Jerry absolutely wants credit and he also believes he can build a winner. Are you really shocked that a man worth 4 Billion dollars has an ego and believes he can do this?

Yeah, I think the whole money thing not an issue. All Jerry cares about is that someday when the Lombardi is hoisted everyone will say "Wow, he really is a football guy. Who knew??

Especially when you look at Jerry's tendency to throw huge contracts at guys who have 1 good season under their belt. He will never be a guy who has cap room he doesn't want to spend. That's not the issue. It's that everyone has to be 'discovered' by him.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
next season well be a different results and as you and I have already talked about
there will be those who jump back on the band wagon.
If you cant see a better season next year then this ....well I can't help you

Depends on how healthy Romo is. If it's only a few games healthier than this season and we win a few more, I still don't see any thing correcting it's self. Correcting things would be not finding only a back up but an eventual replacement at the QB. Getting Garrett to understand he's not coaching a pewee league team and show some nads and trust in his players. Would be correcting things. Getting back to 8-8 not so much.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the whole money thing not an issue. All Jerry cares about is that someday when the Lombardi is hoisted everyone will say "Wow, he really is a football guy. Who knew??

Especially when you look at Jerry's tendency to throw huge contracts at guys who have 1 good season under their belt. He will never be a guy who has cap room he doesn't want to spend. That's not the issue. It's that everyone has to be 'discovered' by him.

Will one SB in 20 plus years really make any one think Jerry really knows what he's doing or would it be said he's a blind squirrel?[/quote]

waving monkey

Reaction score
Depends on how healthy Romo is. If it's only a few games healthier than this season and we win a few more, I still don't see any thing correcting it's self. Correcting things would be not finding only a back up but an eventual replacement at the QB. Getting Garrett to understand he's not coaching a pewee league team and show some nads and trust in his players. Would be correcting things. Getting back to 8-8 not so much.

12-4 was pretty good last year and Red coached that team

rick2248

Reaction score
Jerry is the one who has wasted Romo's career he will never see a SB in his playing days because of Jerry Jones !

rick2248

Reaction score
the head coach has everything to do with team function ?

Yeah right that's why he no longer calls plays no other team who hire him he has done nothing in all the years he has been here his own players have no respect for him they know Jerry is the one running the show !

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Problem is now that he can't back away, he would (in his mind) look like a fool.

He gives up control and they win it all, we would be jubilant, well done Jerry you figured it out we appreciate it. Jerry would be oh damn all everyone will think now is that i was a dumb *** and wasted 30 years.

That's why i keep searching my brain for a guy that could come in and effectively run things, yet Jerry can keep the pretense of GM guy, and we can win again.

If the guy brought it is too big a name, the press will give him the cred and Jerry is pissed. It has to be someone where it looks like Jerry gave this guy a chance and wow, was Jerry right. However.. he actually has to be able to coach and not worry about Jerry spouting Jerry stuff.

In my opinion the biggest problem in Dallas is the lack of a true focused football environment. Player personnel wise, many teams are winning with worse, but we lack vision; in knowing what really wins in the NFL and, a coaching staff that can operate free of distractions, i.e. certain players not having a direct conduit to their particular Jones, 'front office personnel' contradicting coaches statements decisions etc.. during one of their many media face offs each week. Their simply is not enough attention being paid to the bottom line day to day details of running a franchise.

We need to find that guy, i don't know who he is, but i know who he isn't.

mrmojo

Reaction score
well said.

he wants to win. he has more money than he knows what to do with. he doesn't have an SB on his own terms at all and he wants to prove to the world that those 3SB wins were on his own terms. he has spent 20years trying to do this in futility. he wants to win and win his own way. unfortunately its not working but he wants, like hell, to prove us all wrong.
I wish he would....time is running out.