Video: Dak had most drops in league

HungryLion

Reaction score
Did the ball hit the receivers directly between the numbers on their chest?

If not, then it’s not a drop.

Durrrrrrr

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It kind of depends. Are you talking about fully getting two hands on the ball or just touching the ball with two hands at some point? There were several passes last year where a receiver got one hand initially on the ball but not under control, then the other hand got there too late to close the deal. There were definitely some drops blamed on the receivers that were much more difficult catches than some seemed to realize.
I believe if its a routine catch a professional receiver should make? And he has two hands on it?

Daillest88

Reaction score
The previous coaching staff didn’t coach him to throw behind , over , under or too far in front of WRs. They didn’t teach him poor pocket presence or to hold on to the ball too long. I could go on and on , but the point remains that Dak screwed up in his own, not because of coaching. MM is not going to make him into Joe Montana.
Also didn’t teach him to throw for 5000 yards? He’s improved every year.. his receivers also had a lot of drops this year..

HungryLion

Reaction score
There is footage on youtube of every single throw from Prescott to Dez Bryant in 2017.

Anyone who is objective and actually understands football would see that Prescott often struggled to place the ball where it needed to go. There are countless clips where he threw balls that just could not be caught. I only posted to paint the full picture because the hate that Dez Bryant received was disgusting as he was not solely to blame but people just refuse to watch film.

That was 2017. There have been 2 seasons of football played since then and Dak has improved dramatically.

2017 is meaningless at this point.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Oh really? Enlighten us? Which ones on the upward trajectory of their career are doing this?

You said QBs so that means you have multiple examples.

Wentz & Goff signed for less than Ben, Rodgers, Wilson

any more questions?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I believe if its a routine catch a professional receiver should make? And he has two hands on it?

There was pass credited as a drop by Cooper where he had to stop his momentum going across the field and reach to his back-shoulder for the ball. The ball hit his left hand and shoulder before his right hand could get there to establish control. Many were all over Cooper for that play, but I maintain that it was a poor pass. Instead of leading the receiver when he was clearly going at full sprint across the field, Prescott forced him to go against his body, which is why he couldn't get his right hand over. He technically got two hands on the ball, but not at the same exact time.

We had a few others similar to that as Dak struggled with that throw for some reason last year.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Wentz & Goff signed for less than Ben, Rodgers, Wilson

any more questions?
Wait you know Wilson currently has the largest contract, right?
Or were you just guessing?

Goff and Wentz had the second largest at the time of their signings. The Eagles offered $1M more than Goff because THATS HOW THIS WORKS.

Any more stupid comments?

aikemirv

Reaction score
When Rogers and Brady are the 1st and 3rd worst for bad passes it causes me to wonder what these stats are really measuring.

Might it be that Rogers and Brady put passes only where their guys can get the ball, and if they can’t get it no one can? The video does show catchable balls, but in most of them the receiver is adjusting. I do think his new throwing motion improved his accuracy, and clearly he didn’t get a lot of help, but I don’t consider catchable the same thing as accurate.
They also will throw the ball away which Dak does not do and will take a 3 yard loss rather than an incompletion!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
When the throws are so inconsistent guys will be second guessing themselves if they need to implement their, go go gadget arms to catch the ball!

Prescott did well to dump (All Pro wide receiver) Dez out of the league after asking him to play defensive back in 2017.
BS. Prescott did fine with other WRs and Bryant never played again. So blame Prescott by making things up? He's been ridiculously consistent.
Wait you know Wilson currently has the largest contract, right?
Or were you just guessing?

Goff and Wentz had the second largest at the time of their signings. The Eagles offered $1M more than Goff because THATS HOW THIS WORKS.

Any more stupid comments?
It's incredible that while it's broken down to the easiest of understandings, people still don't get market value.

aikemirv

Reaction score
There are catches we expect NFL WR's to make and then there are drops - they are 2 separate things!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It does but if you don't have to fully extend and you get two hands on the football....a professional NFL player should get that. High school football players are able to catch passes slightly behind them or slightly lower than their catch radius.

It should be taken into context the throw but at best I saw probably 2 suspect throws that you could argue the receiver couldn't catch out of these 51.

I don’t think it works that way, or at least it’s not that simple: “I’ve seen a high school receiver make that play, therefore, NFL receivers should make that play.

Does that high school receiver have a QB w/an NFL caliber arm throwing with the type of velocity a NFL can? Were the plays you seen high school players make the exact same plays you’ve seen our WRs drop, at the same depth, against the same coverages, et cetera. There’s endless variables. I would agree, that your average NFL reciever is much more capable than your average high school reciever, but it doesn’t mean the professional will make the play 10 out of 10 times.

Ive also seen high school athletes do things on the field I haven’t seen in the pros.

The point is when you make an inaccurate throw, it raises the level of difficulty. I think of specific throws where a Cowboys reciever is running full speed across the field and Dak has placed the ball down and behind the reciever.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You didn't even bother to watch the video did you? Just mindlessly repeating your mantra like broken record.

There were a few passes that were difficult, but overall it was catches that should have been easy to make. In any case, it wouldn't count as a drop if the pass weren't catchable without extraordinary effort.

It's only a matter of time when one of our WR or TE will be mauled badly by one of his HIGH passes....

cowboyed

Reaction score
The biggest drop I had were my testicles back when I turned 50 They are bonafide ankle spankers.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don’t think it works that way, or at least it’s not that simple: “I’ve seen a high school receiver make that play, therefore, NFL receivers should make that play.

Does that high school receiver have a QB w/an NFL caliber arm throwing with the type of velocity a NFL can? Were the plays you seen high school players make the exact same plays you’ve seen our WRs drop, at the same depth, against the same coverages, et cetera. There’s endless variables. I would agree, that your average NFL reciever is much more capable than your average high school reciever, but it doesn’t mean the professional will make the play 10 out of 10 times.

Ive also seen high school athletes do things on the field I haven’t seen in the pros.

The point is when you make an inaccurate throw, it raises the level of difficulty. I think of specific throws where a Cowboys reciever is running full speed across the field and Dak has placed the ball down and behind the reciever.
There are too many things to factor in. It's not just one thing. I don't see how anyone can loo at the 4 years Prescott has started and not be happy with his production. We can all sit here until we're blue in the face arguing one or two points, but it's everything collectively. For example, does anyone have a clue how many routes were improperly run that resulted in what looked like an inaccurate pass? Same can be said with what looks like a perfect back shoulder fade, could the throw have been off and the WR adjusted?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I don't disagree with that part. A inaccurate throw raises the difficulty of a catch. For sure. The part I'm disagreeing with is just because its a harder throw you don't count it as a drop. That's my issue. I grade guys different on that. There are some catches I wouldn't expect from Cedric Wilson that I would from Amari and Gallup.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There are too many things to factor in. It's not just one thing. I don't see how anyone can loo at the 4 years Prescott has started and not be happy with his production. We can all sit here until we're blue in the face arguing one or two points, but it's everything collectively. For example, does anyone have a clue how many routes were improperly run that resulted in what looked like an inaccurate pass? Same can be said with what looks like a perfect back shoulder fade, could the throw have been off and the WR adjusted?
Right. And there are some throws that look bad to us from the TV but if he threw it any other way it could've been picked.