Dak Prescott: Total Record against winning teams in NFL

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Have we ever considered in terms of the playoff losses the Cowboys and Dak have been involved in that the opponenets were the better "team"?

Each loss has many reasons, but maybe it's not that the QB wasn't the only one to crap the bed, but also they had better individual players, better coaching approaches to the game, better prepared and wanted the win more.

Maybe Dallas has a "soft" team that is not built to win in a tough fight at playoff time when the chips are down.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Have we ever considered in terms of the playoff losses the Cowboys and Dak have been involved in that the opponenets were the better "team"?

Each loss has many reasons, but maybe it's not that the QB wasn't the only one to crap the bed, but also they had better individual players, better coaching approaches to the game, better prepared and wanted the win more.

Maybe Dallas has a "soft" team that is not built to win in a tough fight at playoff time when the chips are down.
You are right. The whole team is soft.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Cousins is 14-43..... Stafford is 11-72. Think about that for a minute. Dak is 22-25..... yet people (here) have said that both of those quarterbacks are better than Dak.

Make that make sense.... I don't want to hear the lame duck excuses for what team the quarterbacks played for. I was told by everyone that judges Dak's career, that "a good quarterback elevates the team around them."

If Dak is a 4th round quarterback and judged by those standards.... then we DEFINITELY hold these 1st and 2nd round quarterbacks to the same standards, if not higher because they come out with more expectations than Dak has.

There won't be any goalpost moving today!!! Uh uh....
Remember the Cowboys are the most talented team in the NFL. Certainly more talented than the Rams and the Vikings :rolleyes: I mean if you can’t make the playoffs with Noah Brown as your second best receiver and with Zeke as your lead back, something is wrong with you. Remember Dak is the one quarterback that plays on the defense and Dak also runs pass routes on offense.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, 2-time league MVP Lamar Jackson just signed for $240 million, with 185 full guaranteed.

His career playoff record.................1-3

I guess he didnt get the memo he is supposed to carry the team
We agree to disagree.
Jackson can beat teams like the Niners can Dak?
Jackson's running game alone makes him a better game than Dak.
Did you get the Memo on how DAKCHOKA beat the Lions barely with the ref's help and got destroyed once again by the Niners?
Name me 3 signature wins of DAKs in the last 8 years and Tampa bay doesn't count.
Just 3.............thks

blueblood70

Reaction score
Hmmm. So you are saying it’s a team game.. you liar. Lmao. Don’t you dare tell me that trenches mean anything. When it gets to the playoffs then the QB must strap the team on his back and win. You don’t need a run game. Just let a QB throw 40-50 times. And if they throw a int then just double down and just throw more.

There is one off games that teams can get away with things but basically when you get in playoff games the teams are evenly talented and coaching counts along with trenches and luck.

Great post.
I'm just saying I like to point out other quarterbacks that have been carried we already saw Stafford lead the league in interceptions have two in the Super bowl and win the game nobody talks about how many interceptions he had that year because they won the Super bowl but that team was better they picked him up and nobody complained about Matthew Staffords massive amount of interceptions and in the big game had two interceptions...

I mean the 2022 playoffs I saw Trevor Lawrence throw 4 interceptions in a game and they won I saw the Buffalo quarterback Josh Allen literally have 3 turnovers and another one rolled out of bounds and they won that game!! I mean we remember the game we talked about the NFC championship game with Tom Brady and the Buccaneers he had three interceptions in that game his team picked him up...​
That's all we talk about though it's the first half interceptions by Prescott even though ,we can talk about the fact that the first one cooks didn't run a very good route and he got interfered with not once but twice he was ran through the back and he had his shoulder pulled from behind to keep him from fighting for the football, that's how it was picked off... lamb also broke off what he was supposed to run and that's where Prescott threw the ball in this new timing offense and him not running the route and completing it because he didn't feel like the ball was gonna be throwing he broke it up field ball, got picked off but all we talked about is the fact that Prescott threw those interceptions but not the fact that the defense never even tried to slow down that team the entire game..​
In the most recent and the one that mirrors our game is the fact that the 49ers got down at halftime by the same score they were being beat up in the first half and what their defense do what their special teams do what did their coaches do they made enough stops to allow the quarterback in the offense to catch up and win that game ours did not everyone keeps saying well there's no way we would have came back and that Prescott put us in a hole in that game and it's not 100% true the fact is if the defense would have offered any resistance from the first snap to the last snap we had a shot and at least trying to make a comeback the team let the fans down the team let the quarterback down that is how it works you win and lose as a team...​
I'm just saying why did these quarterbacks on better teams get picked up and then they kick the fact that they made mistakes in the playoffs Danny white was one of the worst quarterbacks in the playoffs ever and then now I'm seeing some posts on how he's underappreciated the dude had an upside down touchdown interception ratio in the playoffs it means he made a **** load of mistakes but they made the championship game because of the team concept they were great at coaching great at defense they had some of the best run offenses in the league the same all the way back to Roger and Troy had it too but somehow in the playoffs Romo and Prescott don't get any of that they don't get picked up by their team and they get blamed for the losses all quarterbacks are gonna make some mistakes it's very rare they're gonna have a clean game every game something that has to do with the routes being ran or the design of the place etcetera etc etera timing thrown off by the offensive line or playing behind the chains and becoming desperate that is what's been going on with this team for the last 20 years we got two quarterbacks very capable of going to a Super Bowl but they're being blamed for not making the championship games even though there's been a lot of team issues...​

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak Prescott is 22-25 (.468) against teams with a winning record during his entire career.

https://sportsandfitnessdigest.com/dak-prescott-record-against-winning-teams/

Please note that winning and losing is a team statistic, not a quarterback statistic. A quarterback cannot control how well his defense, special teams, or coaching staff perform. He can only do his best with the opportunities he gets1. Therefore, it is important to look beyond the win-loss record and consider other factors such as efficiency, consistency, clutchness, and leadership when evaluating a quarterback’s performance.

NFL QB records vs winning teams chart​

As seen on our master QB record vs winning teams chart, there are only a handful of NFL quarterbacks that have a record above .500 against winning teams.
You can digest that information on your own. The only thing I want you to take away from this is that it is extremely rare to have a winning record against teams that finished the season with a winning record.

https://sportsandfitnessdigest.com/active-nfl-quarterback-records-against-winning-teams/

PlayerTotalWinsLossesTies%

Aaron Rodgers8541441.483
Baker Mayfield287210.250
Jimmy Garoppolo2313100.565
Kirk Cousins5714430.246
Lamar Jackson2814140.500
Patrick Mahomes3422120.647
Josh Allen3417170.500
Justin Herbert217140.333
Kyler Murray143110.333
Daniel Jones163130.187
Sam Darnold174130.235
Deshaun Watson267190.269
Tom Brady12174470.611
Marcus Mariota2512130.480
Russell Wilson5932270.542
Matt Ryan9633630.344
Drew Lock8260.250
Dak Prescott4722250.468
Matthew Stafford8311720.132
Jared Goff3114170.451

Ask the defense about those 14 free points in the first half against GB,

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Have we considered that maybe teams CAN and DO beat better teams?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I bet there is almost a mirror-image coorelation between Total W/L% and Playing against Winning Teams W/L%. Especially when I see the best records are Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes and Russell Wilson, three of the best Playoff performers in last 10 years. I think the stat someone put up on W-L when running yards are less than 100 is a truer indicator of individual QB performance. But then you have guys like Stafford who will always flunk 10-year averages since half of it was on a putrid Lions team.

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
I was against extending him 4 years ago . We had ample opportunity while on Franchise Tag to pursue or draft a replacement.

But our ownership has been All In so far with Dak. But that doesn’t mean we should expect him to carry this team because our ownership and their agendas have over evaluated him.
I wasn't against signing Dak to a new contract. I was dead set against giving him $40 million. My final offer would have been between $32 million and $35 million.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wasn't against signing Dak to a new contract. I was dead set against giving him $40 million. My final offer would have been between $32 million and $35 million.
That’s what I meant. I didn’t feel he was an upper echelon QB.

And I’d argue if you’re willing to pay 35 then 40 wasn’t much of a stretch with Market Price QB contracts .

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Dak Prescott is 22-25 (.468) against teams with a winning record during his entire career.

https://sportsandfitnessdigest.com/dak-prescott-record-against-winning-teams/

Please note that winning and losing is a team statistic, not a quarterback statistic. A quarterback cannot control how well his defense, special teams, or coaching staff perform. He can only do his best with the opportunities he gets1. Therefore, it is important to look beyond the win-loss record and consider other factors such as efficiency, consistency, clutchness, and leadership when evaluating a quarterback’s performance.

As seen on our master QB record vs winning teams chart, there are only a handful of NFL quarterbacks that have a record above .500 against winning teams.
You can digest that information on your own. The only thing I want you to take away from this is that it is extremely rare to have a winning record against teams that finished the season with a winning record.

https://sportsandfitnessdigest.com/active-nfl-quarterback-records-against-winning-teams/

Aaron Rodgers8541441.483
Baker Mayfield287210.250
Jimmy Garoppolo2313100.565
Kirk Cousins5714430.246
Lamar Jackson2814140.500
Patrick Mahomes3422120.647
Josh Allen3417170.500
Justin Herbert217140.333
Kyler Murray143110.333
Daniel Jones163130.187
Sam Darnold174130.235
Deshaun Watson267190.269
Tom Brady12174470.611
Marcus Mariota2512130.480
Russell Wilson5932270.542
Matt Ryan9633630.344
Drew Lock8260.250
Dak Prescott4722250.468
Matthew Stafford8311720.132
Jared Goff3114170.451

The issue I have with Prescot's record against winning teams is he's getting worse the longer he plays. Now that he's swallowing up a large chunk of the CAP SPACE, he's proving to be that QB the Cowboys can live without.

Rowdy1

Reaction score
Even more interesting when you sort it by %

Patrick Mahomes
34​
22​
12​
0​
0.647​
Tom Brady
121​
74​
47​
0​
0.611​
Jimmy Garoppolo
23​
13​
10​
0​
0.565​
Russell Wilson
59​
32​
27​
0​
0.542​
Lamar Jackson
28​
14​
14​
0​
0.5​
Josh Allen
34​
17​
17​
0​
0.5​
Aaron Rodgers
85​
41​
44​
1​
0.483​
Marcus Mariota
25​
12​
13​
0​
0.48​
Dak Prescott
47​
22​
25​
0​
0.468​
Jared Goff
31​
14​
17​
0​
0.451​
Matt Ryan
96​
33​
63​
0​
0.344​
Justin Herbert
21​
7​
14​
0​
0.333​
Kyler Murray
14​
3​
11​
0​
0.333​
Deshaun Watson
26​
7​
19​
0​
0.269​
Baker Mayfield
28​
7​
21​
0​
0.25​
Drew Lock
8​
2​
6​
0​
0.25​
Kirk Cousins
57​
14​
43​
0​
0.246​
Sam Darnold
17​
4​
13​
0​
0.235​
Daniel Jones
16​
3​
13​
0​
0.187​
Matthew Stafford
83​
11​
72​
0​
0.132​

morat1959

Reaction score
Well I would hope the talent around him is better so he can win in the playoffs. A QB can't win games by himself he needs playmakers, and can't throw the ball to lamb all the time.
Great QBs elevate the play of others around him. Dak is just too limited in a lot of aspects of his game. His biggest issue is between the ears. Some QBs have it and some don’t.
Well I would hope the talent around him is better so he can win in the playoffs. A QB can't win games by himself he needs playmakers, and can't throw the ball to lamb all the time.

GINeric

Reaction score
Great QBs elevate the play of others around him. Dak is just too limited in a lot of aspects of his game. His biggest issue is between the ears. Some QBs have it and some don’t.

And I have no problem with this statement..... as long as we include EVERY quarterback accountable under the SAME expectations. With that said...

1. Please explain why Matthew Stafford gets a pass when we show that he is 11-72 vs winning teams?

( *Stafford led the league in interceptions the year the Rams won the Superbowl )

2. Please explain why Matthew Stafford isn't held to the same standards when he didn't reach his first playoff win until his 11th, 12th season in the NFL?

3. Aaron Rodgers has one Superbowl victory to his name. So does Nick Foles, Trent Dilpher and Joe Theismann....

If Rodgers is considered a "great quarterback", why don't we consider Dilpher, Foles, and Theismann as great quarterbacks on the same level?

They all "elevated the talent around them" enough to win a Superbowl, correct? The same amount of Superbowls.

One last thing.

From what I understand, Superbowl wins are all that matters. Well Trent Dilpher has more Superbowl victories than Dan Marino, Randall Cunningham, Dan Fouts, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Jim Kelly and many other quarterbacks that people have considered very good, to great, correct?

So if all these other quarterbacks that were considered great failed to "elevate the talent around them" enough to win a Superbowl like Dilpher and Foles, isn't it time we start giving Dilpher and Foles THE SAME credit as Aaron Rodgers and MORE credit than all those other quarterbacks who didn't win a Superbowl?

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak has been in top offenses surrounded by talent. With defensive support.