Detroit Lions Had a Sick Draft

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I see the OP missed the Packers draft, and you obviously forgot about the actual best RB combo in the NFL, which is Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon.
I'm curious, how does a team who finished 15th in rushing yards, 26th in rushing TDs, and 12th in YPC turn into the "Best RB combo in the NFL"? You only had 63 more yards and 11 less rushing TDs than those lowly Lions you speak so poorly of. What's so profound about the Packers running game? I mean you only won 8 games last year and were swept by the Lions who you seem to think of as a joke. Now entering the 2023 season you don't have Rogers which means EVERY team is going to stack the box against your already poor rushing attack and make Love throw the ball which over the last two seasons has amounted to 3 TDs and 3INTs. Playing in the North where you get Da Bears, Vikes, and Lions twice a year I guess anything is possible.

As far as your draft went it may have been the biggest boom or bust draft of any team. Van Ness never even started a game at Iowa, Musgrave caught 11 balls in 2022, most had J. Reed as a 3rd or 4th round pick at best, and your 3rd round pick is a Division 1 guy with 9 career TD's vs far inferior competition. All players with potential and not much else. I thought the Packers drafted better on day 3 and liked some of their late picks especially Wooden and Brooks. Van Ness more than likely doesn't start again, and while I think both Reed and Musgrave get significant snaps, it's mainly due to how poor the remainder of your roster is.

I think it's a rebuild season for the Pack and probably a team that's going to be in the QB hunt at the top of the 2024 NFL Draft.

manster4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, we get a lot of Vikings and Bears fans online pretending to be Packers fans in an attempt to make Packers fans look bad. It comes down to jealousy really. I would suggest just ignoring those here pretending to be Dallas fans. I personally ignore about 75% of the posts here.

I wasn't aware there was an effort to try and ban me. I understand that a Packers fan speaking the truth would trigger some Dallas fans. Perhaps the one win in 2016 in the last 10 tries has caused some anger towards Packers fans. And Green Bay being the most successful franchise in the history of the NFL causes some Cowboys fans to grow tired of hearing about the greatness of Green Bay, and all of Packer Nation.

I appreciate your support, even though I didn't realize there was an active effort to get me banned.

We can discuss who is right or "wrong" about the Packers roster as the season gets rolling. Losing Aaron Rodgers made the Packers stronger. 8 first round picks on defense. A very good offensive line, very good RBs, a young but talented receiving group. A good coaching staff and a QB who has everything set up for him to succeed. Anyone who thinks Green Bay is lesser than now, is in for a rude awakening.

OneTeamOneNation
PackerNation!
Packers are on the decline and all the energy and BS you've spewed on here won't change that. Lions will easily win that division.

manster4ever

Reaction score
I'm curious, how does a team who finished 15th in rushing yards, 26th in rushing TDs, and 12th in YPC turn into the "Best RB combo in the NFL"? You only had 63 more yards and 11 less rushing TDs than those lowly Lions you speak so poorly of. What's so profound about the Packers running game? I mean you only won 8 games last year and were swept by the Lions who you seem to think of as a joke. Now entering the 2023 season you don't have Rogers which means EVERY team is going to stack the box against your already poor rushing attack and make Love throw the ball which over the last two seasons has amounted to 3 TDs and 3INTs. Playing in the North where you get Da Bears, Vikes, and Lions twice a year I guess anything is possible.

As far as your draft went it may have been the biggest boom or bust draft of any team. Van Ness never even started a game at Iowa, Musgrave caught 11 balls in 2022, most had J. Reed as a 3rd or 4th round pick at best, and your 3rd round pick is a Division 1 guy with 9 career TD's vs far inferior competition. All players with potential and not much else. I thought the Packers drafted better on day 3 and liked some of their late picks especially Wooden and Brooks. Van Ness more than likely doesn't start again, and while I think both Reed and Musgrave get significant snaps, it's mainly due to how poor the remainder of your roster is.

I think it's a rebuild season for the Pack and probably a team that's going to be in the QB hunt at the top of the 2024 NFL Draft.
They win 7 games tops...probably less than that

kskboys

Reaction score
Keep in mind they have seen him every day in practice looking like a superstar. You don't dump a 4-time MVP if you aren't sure about J-Love. I've seen him the last few years at camp. It is a sight to see. Stay tuned...

You are the one who is showing "feelings" and hopes. Ask yourself why you are hoping J-Love doesn't have a great career.
Great practice QB you have on your hands there, hey? Soooooooo, you're basing your hopes on Brandon Weeden? Does he throw as pretty a pass as Weeden?

ghst187

Reaction score
Probably my favorite draft of any team this past draft…I was jealous. Helps a ton to have high draft picks in every round. When you have low draft picks in every round you are almost drafting one round lower prospects with each pick.

PackersNation

Reaction score
Cowboys fans still thinking that if they type things enough times that they will magically come true.

The Packers own the Cowboys since 1996. This is why they are always lashing out. We do pray things get better for them.

The Cowboys did get the better of the Packers in the 80's and early 90's. So, they do have that.

OneTeamOneNation

PackerNation!

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Cowboys fans still thinking that if they type things enough times that they will magically come true.

The Packers own the Cowboys since 1996. This is why they are always lashing out. We do pray things get better for them.

The Cowboys did get the better of the Packers in the 80's and early 90's. So, they do have that.

OneTeamOneNation

PackerNation!
You're acting like the Paaackers are even relevant.

Truly pathetic.

You obviously lead a very sad life.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

You're talking to a child.

Likely in special classes. Doesn't seem like she's all there.

Hardline

Reaction score
It's pretty bad when the Packer fan is more right about the Cowboys than the Cowboys fans in this thread.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
It's pretty bad when the Packer fan is more right about the Cowboys than the Cowboys fans in this thread.
That's the way it is around here when I talk to eagles fans. You can't go after them on recent success.

HiFidelity

Reaction score
Hey. Lions fan from Detroit. I come in peace. Stumbled across this thread looking for something else.

To get this out of the way, I do think the Packers have a better RB room than the Lions, at least for this year. Too much unknown with Gibbs. But best in NFL is 49ers. No one can compete with Run CMC, Mitchell, Deebo. Packers are up there though.

As for the Lions, a lot of the same debate on our message boards about positional value. This was a tough draft for that. Outside of Anderson, most or all of the high positional value players would have gone 5 - 10 picks later in other drafts, or like Carter had significant concerns. From reading tea leaves I am fairly certain the Lions had Anderson then Witherspoon then Gibbs as their top three. When Witherspoon went five they were prepared to take Gibbs at #6 until the Cardinals called to move up. If they had gotten Witherspoon at 6 their plan was to move up from 18 to get Gibbs

Something I read recently that has really struck a chord is that after the first few picks in any draft, every player is a reach on at least half the other teams' boards. The Lions had 14 players rated as first rounders and they got 3. As Holmes said in interviews other teams might have only had 10, others 20.

I don't think the Lions had a great draft. Out of all teams the only ones I would give that to would be the Cardinals and maybe the Bears and only because they were able to maneuver and stockpile so much future capital. There weren't enough great players for teams to have great drafts this year. Even the QBs were pretty questionable.

That said, watching the interviews - including a 60 minute war room insider video, and seeing how the team maneuvered throughout the draft, it is clear to me that the Lions got every player they set out to get - other than Witherspoon at #6. To me that is a successful draft.

As for the question of whether they were merely backfilling Swift and Hockenson? No, not in either case. Swift was still on the roster and under contract. If the team hadn't gotten Gibbs (or similar) they would have kept Swift. Hockenson was traded because he didn't fit. A pure receiving TE on a team that demanded blocking. The team got better after the trade, going 8-2 down the stretch - including two wins over the Packers. Significantly TE production didn't fall off. Volume was way down but the room scored 9 TD in the 10 games post Hock. Gibbs and LaPorta aren't backfills any more than any draft pick is a backfill, they represent upgrades

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey. Lions fan from Detroit. I come in peace. Stumbled across this thread looking for something else.

To get this out of the way, I do think the Packers have a better RB room than the Lions, at least for this year. Too much unknown with Gibbs. But best in NFL is 49ers. No one can compete with Run CMC, Mitchell, Deebo. Packers are up there though.

As for the Lions, a lot of the same debate on our message boards about positional value. This was a tough draft for that. Outside of Anderson, most or all of the high positional value players would have gone 5 - 10 picks later in other drafts, or like Carter had significant concerns. From reading tea leaves I am fairly certain the Lions had Anderson then Witherspoon then Gibbs as their top three. When Witherspoon went five they were prepared to take Gibbs at #6 until the Cardinals called to move up. If they had gotten Witherspoon at 6 their plan was to move up from 18 to get Gibbs

Something I read recently that has really struck a chord is that after the first few picks in any draft, every player is a reach on at least half the other teams' boards. The Lions had 14 players rated as first rounders and they got 3. As Holmes said in interviews other teams might have only had 10, others 20.

I don't think the Lions had a great draft. Out of all teams the only ones I would give that to would be the Cardinals and maybe the Bears and only because they were able to maneuver and stockpile so much future capital. There weren't enough great players for teams to have great drafts this year. Even the QBs were pretty questionable.

That said, watching the interviews - including a 60 minute war room insider video, and seeing how the team maneuvered throughout the draft, it is clear to me that the Lions got every player they set out to get - other than Witherspoon at #6. To me that is a successful draft.

As for the question of whether they were merely backfilling Swift and Hockenson? No, not in either case. Swift was still on the roster and under contract. If the team hadn't gotten Gibbs (or similar) they would have kept Swift. Hockenson was traded because he didn't fit. A pure receiving TE on a team that demanded blocking. The team got better after the trade, going 8-2 down the stretch - including two wins over the Packers. Significantly TE production didn't fall off. Volume was way down but the room scored 9 TD in the 10 games post Hock. Gibbs and LaPorta aren't backfills any more than any draft pick is a backfill, they represent upgrades
Welcome!!! Great first post!

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Gibbs was a huge waste IMO. But I like the Lions' other guys, and they can easily justify their draft positions.

• I am the biggest Jack Campbell homer on the internet. As a prospect, I think he's very comparable to Tremaine Edmunds and LVE, sort of mega-sized, super athletic Mike backers. Edmunds went #16, and LVE went #18, so I am stunned that people call Campbell a reach at #18. Shoot, he is better than the two LBs that went in the 20s last year. Tremaine's earning $20M a year now, Roquon Smith is making $20M, I can see Campbell becoming that level of a player.
  • LaPorta is such a good receiver, and a super easy projection. The positional value puts a ceiling on his potential - he's not Kelce - but he's a safe bet to become a $10M/yr Evan Engram, Hunter Henry type of player.
  • I don't like Branch a ton, because speed is such a big deal for DBs. But at #45, come on. He's worth a shot at that point.
  • Hooker's a worthy dart throw. I am not his biggest fan, but he has starting QB tools in the 3rd round. In a league where Daniel Jones earns $40M, Hooker will return eye-bleeding value if he hits. The risk vs reward lines up there, and the Lions had enough draft picks to gamble. I like the process.

GIbbs was the one pick that I thought was egregious. He's worth like $12M/yr max if he balls out and becomes an All-Pro. A LT like Broderick Jones can match that if he's just an OK starter. Same with a CB like Gonzalez. And if Gibbs is just a decent, Miles Sanders type RB, that's only worth $6M/yr. That was incredible mismanagement by the Lions.
Jack campbell should be very good and he would have filled a need here.

PackersNation

Reaction score
I do think the Packers have a better RB room than the Lions.
The only reason I brought up RBs is because some uninformed individual here wrote: "Gibbs and Montgomery could easily be the best RB combo/duo in the NFL." Obviously that individual was/is totally clueless. I wasn't implying the Lions RBs suck, but you are correct, it isn't at the level of the Packers RB room.

Getting back to the topic of the 2023 draft..

Going off the first couple days in pads at camp, I am even more confident in the strength of the Packers 2023 draft class.

Lukas Van Ness, Luke Musgrave, Jayden Reed, Tucker Kraft, Colby Wooden, Karl Brooks, and 7th round pick CB Carrington Valentine, perhaps surprisingly, looks like he is going to be a lock to make the 53. All the above players are standouts so far in camp.

I said that 6 players from the 2023 draft class would have immediate impact this season in Green Bay. Again, I am even more confident in that statement today.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The only reason I brought up RBs is because some uninformed individual here wrote: "Gibbs and Montgomery could easily be the best RB combo/duo in the NFL." Obviously that individual was/is totally clueless. I wasn't implying the Lions RBs suck, but you are correct, it isn't at the level of the Packers RB room.
Idk why you're so obsessed with this. Jones is a top-10 back and Dillon sucks. There's nothing special about the Packers RB room.