Do You Think McNabb is a top 5 QB in the League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
ARMAGEDDON EAGLE said:
Have it your way blind ...click your heels together and repeat "the Eagles are not the NFC East Divisional Champs ... :rolleyes:

BTW ...http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/sports/2003/12/07eaglescontrolnf.html
How high are you??? I'm serious. There is no division championship game, just a division champ. Even if there was one, what good will it be?

BTW How do you judge a quarterback? It seems like a crazy way since you have Mcnabb over mcnair...

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
ARMAGEDDON EAGLE said:
I'll give it to you Blind ...you're getting warmer if you're talking about the three consecutive NFC East Divisional Champoinship games. Oops, you're talking about Donovan McNabb and the Eagles. :rolleyes:

Look, in Philadelphia you just don't hold your quarterbacks to a higher standard like we do in Dallas. That's understandable. Danny White is the Cowboys version of McNabb, a very good player but never able to get the team over the championship game hump. Of course, that Cowboys team was beaten in the championship game by several good teams while this Eagles team was beaten by the likes of the Carolina Panthers. But I digress...

McNabb is not going to get any respect from Cowboys fans until he wins the big game. It's as simple as that. You and I could spin statistics any way that you'd like. You can tell me he has a great TD-INT ratio. I can tell you that Quincy Carter had a higher completion percentage and threw more touchdowns.

All excuses are out the window this year. If McNabb gets hurt again, it's not an excuse, it proves he is a liability. And if the Eagles don't go to the big game this year with a top 3 receiver, the blame will fall at McNabb's feet.

Reaction score
RW31 said:
How high are you??? There is no division championship game, just a division champ. Even if there was one, what good will it be? BTW How do you judge a quarterback? It seems like a crazy way since you have Mcnabb over mcnair...

RW,

I'm not intoxicated, but even if I was, your comment would have been just as contradictive to me then as it is now! ...

There is no division championship game, just a division champ.

Listen RW, I'm not trying to get into it with you by insulting you; besides, you know we see things differently from time-to-time -- especially when it comes down to things that apply to our respective teams. But you've got to know that a champ requires a contest/or struggle of sort (e.g., game, championship fight, championship match, etc), to determine the best in that particular component (e.g., lightweight/heavy weight champ, division champ, etc).

Having said that, I will compromise with you by saying, the Philadelphia Eagles did not win the NFC East Division ChampionsHip because theri is no such game -- but, the Eagles have been the NFC East Division Champs for 4 years :rolleyes:

[/QUOTE]Read my posts if you want to know why I chose McNabb over McNair.[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
Look, in Philadelphia you just don't hold your quarterbacks to a higher standard like we do in Dallas. That's understandable. Danny White is the Cowboys version of McNabb, a very good player but never able to get the team over the championship game hump. Of course, that Cowboys team was beaten in the championship game by several good teams while this Eagles team was beaten by the likes of the Carolina Panthers. But I digress...

McNabb is not going to get any respect from Cowboys fans until he wins the big game. It's as simple as that. You and I could spin statistics any way that you'd like. You can tell me he has a great TD-INT ratio. I can tell you that Quincy Carter had a higher completion percentage and threw more touchdowns.

All excuses are out the window this year. If McNabb gets hurt again, it's not an excuse, it proves he is a liability. And if the Eagles don't go to the big game this year with a top 3 receiver, the blame will fall at McNabb's feet.

Understand.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Anthrax said:
Yous Are All ****in Idiots!

No an idiot is someone that makes up a championship game in order to save face of their, NOT TOP 5 QB!

The even bigger idiot is someone who calls those, who called him on it, idiots. ;)

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
No an idiot is someone that makes up a championship game in order to save face of their, NOT TOP 5 QB!

The even bigger idiot is someone who calls those, who called him on it, idiots. ;)

Are you making this personal Blind? Just remember, we're not enemies; even if you are a Dallas Cowboys fan. :D

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AJM1613 said:
Okay...

Manning: Yes.
Brady: No not nearly as good, a Trent Dilfer, average.
McNair: Yes.
Farve: Yes.
Pennington: No way!
Cullpepper: About the same stats as McNabb, more Ints. Great offense.
Trent Green: Pass me some of that s***.

How can you put Green on that list and not Hasselback?

Ask 100 NFL fans who thy'd rather have at QB, Brady or McNabb.

I guarantee you Brady gets the nod, easily.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sarge said:

It wouldn't even be close.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
AJM, I've been avoiding this thread and will admit I only read the first page of it.

I think McNabb is one of the three QB playing today who can be expected to carry his offense if needed. Not carry the entire team, no player can consistently do that, altho Dan Marino and Joe Namath after 1970 in NY gave it a good shot. But this is a QB who can give you a purty good chance to win when a system breaks down or supporting personnel is lacking.

Three QBs who can "carry" their offense, and I don't mean in the Darren Woodson quote sense of a QB who can keep an O competitive enough to stay in a playoff hunt when a run game busts. I mean game breaking talent, talent which you don't necessarily want to utilize to its full risk , but it's there. And I don't mean just hot hands like that wonderful second half Jake Delhomme had in the SB. I mean the ultimate "it".

Favre, McNabb, and Vick.

Favre gave Holmgren many a conniption back in the day, with his free lancing ways. But Mike was wise enough to recognize where Brett's greatness lay. I know Andy Reid doesn't necessarily want to rely on McNabbs ability to make things happen, but he never missed a beat last season when Donovan had those early season woes. You don't bench a Donovan McNabb. I don't care what system Vick gets played in, wco or vertical attack, the center of your game planning is about what that kid can do.

Are the above three the current "best" QBs in the league? Consensus says that honor goes to Manning, McNabb, and Brady, and I will not argue it. For my money, tho, I'd take the other three. It's just the style of play, and the anticipation of all hell breaking loose, when these guys have got it on.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
AJM, I've been avoiding this thread and will admit I only read the first page of it.

I think McNabb is one of the three QB playing today who can be expected to carry his offense if needed. Not carry the entire team, no player can consistently do that, altho Dan Marino and Joe Namath after 1970 in NY gave it a good shot. But this is a QB who can give you a purty good chance to win when a system breaks down or supporting personnel is lacking.

Three QBs who can "carry" their offense, and I don't mean in the Darren Woodson quote sense of a QB who can keep an O competitive enough to stay in a playoff hunt when a run game busts. I mean game breaking talent, talent which you don't necessarily want to utilize to its full risk , but it's there. And I don't mean just hot hands like that wonderful second half Jake Delhomme had in the SB. I mean the ultimate "it".

Favre, McNabb, and Vick.

Favre gave Holmgren many a conniption back in the day, with his free lancing ways. But Mike was wise enough to recognize where Brett's greatness lay. I know Andy Reid doesn't necessarily want to rely on McNabbs ability to make things happen, but he never missed a beat last season when Donovan had those early season woes. You don't bench a Donovan McNabb. I don't care what system Vick gets played in, wco or vertical attack, the center of your game planning is about what that kid can do.

Are the above three the current "best" QBs in the league? Consensus says that honor goes to Manning, McNabb, and Brady, and I will not argue it. For my money, tho, I'd take the other three. It's just the style of play, and the anticipation of all hell breaking loose, when these guys have got it on.

Scary thing is that for the last few years McNabb has had to play a role similar to what Randall Cunningham had to go through back in his Eagle days....Stong D and basically The QB being the offense.

Maybe that will change this year with TO.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Scary thing is that for the last few years McNabb has had to play a role similar to what Randall Cunningham had to go through back in his Eagle days....Stong D and basically The QB being the offense.

Maybe that will change this year with TO.
BP what I'm hoping is that instead of TO bustin things wide open, his 'tude busts thing wide apart.

But yeah, McNabb with that kind of weapon ain't good.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
BP what I'm hoping is that instead of TO bustin things wide open, his 'tude busts thing wide apart.

But yeah, McNabb with that kind of weapon ain't good.

He may indeed mess things up.

Now let's make no mistake that McNabb has a strong arm...which was in part one of the things that was said to be a weakness of Garcia.

HOWEVER we have also heard that McNabb did not have WRs that could get open therefore he hit the underneath routes with TEs and RBs more.

Well that may be the case most of the time...but even McNabb will say he will go through his progressions and it seems his progressions tend to be short to long...I think that is just what his system calls for.

I will also say that there have been multiple occasions where I seen one of his WRs running about wide open as you can get in this NFL day and age...and he does not even look that way...instead he throws the underneath stuff.

AJM1613

Reaction score
Sarge said:

I changed my view on this situation. I think that you have to put Brady in front of McNabb at this point of his career because of what he has done, no matter what system he plays in. Warner was considered the best QB in the NFL from 1999-2001. Right now I would have to have my list like this:

1. McNair (best stats in the NFL and he wins more than Peyton, he doesn't have a ring but he at least got their).
2. Brady/Manning (not sure, Wins/Stats)
3. Brady/Manning
4. Favre
5. McNabb

You need to give Brady credit for his Super Bowl MVPs, even if I am not too impressed by his play.

If McNabb wins the Super Bowl this year I think that you have to move him up to 2 or 3 depending on his stats.

If Manning wins the Super Bowl I think that you have to move him up to 1.

If Brady wins the Super Bowl I think that you have to move him up to 1.

If Favre wins the Super Bowl than I think he will retire so we won't have to worry about ranking him any more. :)

JMO

AJM1613

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
He may indeed mess things up.

Now let's make no mistake that McNabb has a strong arm...which was in part one of the things that was said to be a weakness of Garcia.

HOWEVER we have also heard that McNabb did not have WRs that could get open therefore he hit the underneath routes with TEs and RBs more.

Well that may be the case most of the time...but even McNabb will say he will go through his progressions and it seems his progressions tend to be short to long...I think that is just what his system calls for.

I will also say that there have been multiple occasions where I seen one of his WRs running about wide open as you can get in this NFL day and age...and he does not even look that way...instead he throws the underneath stuff.
I don't think that McNabb trusted his starting wide receivers last year which can never be good. Pinkston caught a perfect 48 yard pass against the 49ers last season and fumbled it in the end zone. I can easily see why he wouldn't trust them. Believe me I wish the best for Pinkston this season but he really isn't that good, I hope Mitchell (who McNabb seems to trust) and McMullen (who really needs to mature) can fill Pinkston's spot if he struggles.

McNabb and Owens are in Arizona right now working on this. Will they conect? Maybe, but if they do than we should have a great offense.

Owens won't have a problem with this type of play because he will still get his yards. For Owens to get 100 catches he needs 6.25 receptions a game. With about 30 pass attempts and a 60% completion percentage, McNabb should have about 18 pass completions a game. Lets say Pinkston, Mitchell and Westbrook get about 35 catches a piece, and our TEs get a total of 50. That is 155. I think that Buckhalter, Ritchie, and McMullen should get less than 45 total catches (they only had 28 total last season).

This spread it around style of play can have a 100 catch player, Thrash had 48 last season and Staley had 37. Go from 9 receivers a game to 7.

I am not really sure if that answered your post, I was babling at the end. :D

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
I changed my view on this situation. I think that you have to put Brady in front of McNabb at this point of his career because of what he has done, no matter what system he plays in. Warner was considered the best QB in the NFL from 1999-2001. Right now I would have to have my list like this:

1. McNair (best stats in the NFL and he wins more than Peyton, he doesn't have a ring but he at least got their).
2. Brady/Manning (not sure, Wins/Stats)
3. Brady/Manning
4. Favre
5. McNabb

You need to give Brady credit for his Super Bowl MVPs, even if I am not too impressed by his play.

If McNabb wins the Super Bowl this year I think that you have to move him up to 2 or 3 depending on his stats.

If Manning wins the Super Bowl I think that you have to move him up to 1.

If Brady wins the Super Bowl I think that you have to move him up to 1.

If Favre wins the Super Bowl than I think he will retire so we won't have to worry about ranking him any more. :)

JMO
You forgot hassleback and culpepper, and by the time farvre and mcnair are gone, i suspect leftwich, palmer and vick will take over the reigns...

AJM1613

Reaction score
RW31 said:
You forgot hassleback and culpepper, and by the time farvre and mcnair are gone, i suspect leftwich, palmer and vick will take over the reigns...
I didn't forget Hasselbeck or Culpepper and how can you say that about Palmer? :confused:

Leftwich will be great and top 5 but Vick is a question mark.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
I didn't forget Hasselbeck or Culpepper and how can you say that about Palmer? :confused:

Leftwich will be great and top 5 but Vick is a question mark.
Culpepper is absolutely the better qb. Ask any non eagle and they will tell you the same. Hassleback still needs another year too be top 5, but his last season was better than any mcnabb has had.

Palmer is a bit of a reach I guess, but vick is better than mcnabb in every aspect of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.