Do You Think McNabb is a top 5 QB in the League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJM1613

Reaction score
If McNabb finishes the season with over 16 interceptions, under 18 TD (if he plays in all the games, combined R/P) or lower than a 58% compeltion percentage than I will concede that McNabb isn't top 5.

I predict a 63.9% completion percentage, 22 TD, and 8 interceptions because he has proven he can do it with Pinkston and Thrash, so I would hope he can do it with Owens.

BillsFan

Bledsoe for MVP
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
If McNabb finishes the season with over 16 interceptions, under 18 TD (if he plays in all the games, combined R/P) or lower than a 58% compeltion percentage than I will concede that McNabb isn't top 5.

I predict a 63.9% completion percentage, 22 TD, and 8 interceptions because he has proven he can do it with Pinkston and Thrash, so I would hope he can do it with Owens.

Wasn't his completion percentage 57.5 last year? Has he even been close to 60 in his career? Prepare to be letdown on that 64% completion percentage.

BillsFan

Bledsoe for MVP
Reaction score
ARMAGEDDON EAGLE said:
Here's *** I'm talking about (in case you're asking)! Throughout this post, I've been seeing pass ratio and percentages, comments like "he's got a strongs arm," the "lhe can throw the long pass," etc. But none of that will gage/define a complete quarterrback. With the exception of maybe one or two of you -- you're all describing the top passers in the NFL!

Someone, probably a Dallas fan (because this post is predominantly Cowboy),
gave the following top-5 list -- my picks underneath in bold letters...

1). Manning - No major problem, however he should be #2 (great year)
1) Brady - should be #1 (he did win the AFC/S-Bowl Championship)

2). Brady - should be #1 in my book
2). Manning in his prime -- I'll expect a repeat performance

3). Favre - No! Great QB back in the day, getting old, will retire soon!
3). McNabb - McNabb is still a young QB! He hasn't reach his potential

4). McNair - He's good! But scramble ability is limited. You know I'm right!
4). Culpepper - A strong arm and a great receiver is a great combo!

5). Pennington
5). I'll Let you pick this one (wouldn't rule out the two Dallas QBs) :rolleyes:

Here's my point ...McNabb is a young QB. His name is mentioned along with top-five QBs in the NFL (IMHO). Everyone of you may not like McNabb because he's an Eagle, but you cannot deny that ...

He is physical; because he can block, and not afraid to stay in the pocket to wait on a receiver to get in the open (you can't buy that kind of patience).

He's smart - he can read a defense, and he Knows his way around the clock (timeouts, 2-minute drill etc), and he will call an audible in a heart beat; that's why we're so good on the road.

He's getting stronger each year; along with his experience. Last, but not the least, he's a multiple threat with his scrambling, blocking, running, and pAssing abilities -- oh, and he's dayam fast!

So when you make your rebuttals, and I know you shall, keep this in mind -- A QB is not just a passer, he's much more -- that spells McNabb! No diggity -- No doubt, he's in the top 5! :cool:

No McNair in your top 5? Sheesh poor Steve can't get any respect.

You wanna dig up Mcnairs and McNabbs stats from last year? It's pretty funny to compare. Take a look.

Donavan hasn't reached McNairs level.

Reaction score
BillsFan said:
No McNair in your top 5? Sheesh poor Steve can't get any respect.

You wanna dig up Mcnairs and McNabbs stats from last year? It's pretty funny to compare. Take a look.

Donavan hasn't reached McNairs level.

You either didn't read my post carefully, or you're just ignoring my comments. Let me say It in another way. Here's how I explained the choice to my next door neighbors son -- he's 10 yrs old -- he understood ...

one guy is getting older and he doesn't move around very well anymore, because he's been beaten up through the years.

but the other guy is young and getting stronger, and moves around better than most people that does the same job.

Which one do you want to be on your team?

I'm Not being facious, but I just want you to understand that my decision wasn't only based on your stats, or who threw the ball successfully, or whose receiver made the most completions.

I'm talking baout reality man! Listen, if it makes you feel better, stay with your own list--see you in the playoffs -- or not! :rolleyes:

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
ARMAGEDDON EAGLE said:
You either didn't read my post carefully, or you're just ignoring my comments. Let me say It in another way. Here's how I explained the choice to my next door neighbors son -- he's 10 yrs old -- he understood ...

one guy is getting older and he doesn't move around very well anymore, because he's been beaten up through the years.

but the other guy is young and getting stronger, and moves around better than most people that does the same job.

Which one do you want to be on your team?

I'm Not being facious, but I just want you to understand that my decision wasn't only based on your stats, or who threw the ball successfully, or whose receiver made the most completions.

I'm talking baout reality man! Listen, if it makes you feel better, stay with your own list--see you in the playoffs -- or not! :rolleyes:
First of all mcnabb can't hold mcnair's jock without bursting into ashes.

And secondly, Mcnair is still above average in movement.

Thirdly Eagles act like mobility is half the part of being a qaurter back. Its more like one fifth. If it was as important as eagles fans make it out to be, Mike Vick would be the no.1 qaurterback in the game...

Reaction score
RW31 said:
First of all mcnabb can't hold mcnair's jock without bursting into ashes

Since I didn't see a "smiley face" in your post, I'll assume you're serious! Let's put the jock straps down just for a minute and discuss this out maturely. McNair is probably going into the Hall at some point in time in the future. It would be unfair to compare McNabb to McNair (obviously you are). "Alright, lunger" I'll be your huckleberry ...

Steve McNair LaTreal McNair ...is 31 years old, he was drafted into the NFL in 1995. He's 6'2" tall, and weighs 235lbs; he's got 10 years experience in the NFL. McNair made the pro bowl in 2000, to the Pro Bowl to replace Brian Griese (shoulder surgery) but was sidelined for the game due to his own shoulder injury.

Donovan Jamal McNabb ...is 27 years old, he was draft into the NFL in 1999.
He's 6' 2" tall, and weighs 235lbs; he's got 5 years experience in the NFL. McNabb has been selected to his 4th straight Pro Bowl; he has 6 years experience in the NFL.

Here's what the NFL had to say about McNair ...

No Pro Bowler

Rare is the veteran player who commands much recognition laboring for a first-year expansion franchise and even rarer, NFL history has indicated, is one who is selected for the Pro Bowl.

"I'm quite sure a lot of players on this team deserved it, but that's how it works,'' quarterback Steve McNair said after the AFC South leaders were ignored in Pro Bowl balloting announced Thursday

Within the league, McNair has set lofty standards for some of today’s younger “mobile quarterbacks.” One such protégé, Donovan McNabb, has said of McNair, “Steve has defined how a quarterback can suffer through adversity and overcome it. He’s a great role model and a guy I’ve talked to plenty of times about his improvement in the league, the things he worked on and how he asserted himself as one of the top quarterbacks in this league.” McNair leads NFL QBs in rushing yards since 1995 (3,034), and only McNabb (1,884) has more than McNair’s 1,594 yards since 1999. He became the first quarterback since the 1970 NFL merger to rush for eight touchdowns in a season on two occasions (1997 and 1999), and his 1997 rushing total of 674 yards was, at the time, the third-highest rushing total by a quarterback in NFL history behind Randall Cunningham; an Eagle (942 yards in 1990) and Bobby Douglas (968 yards in 1972).

But you know what RW. This dosen't prove a thing. I actually agree with you if you're sayIng that Steve is a top rated Qb (on his way out); McNabb is a Top-rated QB on His way in!

So let's just compromise by sayIng, you have your Opinion, while I have my opinion! :cool:

ChrisFul

Benched
Reaction score
McNair took a while to amass the stats needed for probowl consideration due to the offense that the Titans ran all the way up until 2000/2001. Before then, McNair was sorta like Aikman but without the pinpoint accuracy: it wasn't a given he was going to break 3000 yards or threaten the 20 TD passing barrier. When the Titans stopped handing the ball to George on every other play, McNair took off.

And until McNabb stops choking in Conference Title games, no, he cannot hold McNair's jock.

Reaction score
ChrisFul said:
...And until McNabb stops choking in Conference Title games, no, he cannot hold McNair's jock.

What a surprise response! McNabb's not choking in NFC East Division Games; is he? Besides who wants to hold McNair's jock anyway :eek: !

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
ARMAGEDDON EAGLE said:
Since I didn't see a "smiley face" in your post, I'll assume you're serious! Let's put the jock straps down just for a minute and discuss this out maturely. McNair is probably going into the Hall at some point in time in the future. It would be unfair to compare McNabb to McNair (obviously you are). "Alright, lunger" I'll be your huckleberry ...

Steve McNair LaTreal McNair ...is 31 years old, he was drafted into the NFL in 1995. He's 6'2" tall, and weighs 235lbs; he's got 10 years experience in the NFL. McNair made the pro bowl in 2000, to the Pro Bowl to replace Brian Griese (shoulder surgery) but was sidelined for the game due to his own shoulder injury.
Mcnair was brought along much slower because the titans wanted to still contend. Besides we are looking at the better recent qaurterback and Mcnair was an MVP, while mcnabb got the 3rd selection off of name alone.
Donovan Jamal McNabb ...is 27 years old, he was draft into the NFL in 1999.
He's 6' 2" tall, and weighs 235lbs; he's got 5 years experience in the NFL. McNabb has been selected to his 4th straight Pro Bowl; he has 6 years experience in the NFL.
Which is it 5 or 6??? And i already told you, the last one was off name alone

Here's what the NFL had to say about McNair ...

No Pro Bowler

Rare is the veteran player who commands much recognition laboring for a first-year expansion franchise and even rarer, NFL history has indicated, is one who is selected for the Pro Bowl.

"I'm quite sure a lot of players on this team deserved it, but that's how it works,'' quarterback Steve McNair said after the AFC South leaders were ignored in Pro Bowl balloting announced Thursday
so he wasn't selected in the probowl that year, so what???
Within the league, McNair has set lofty standards for some of today’s younger “mobile quarterbacks.” One such protégé, Donovan McNabb, has said of McNair, “Steve has defined how a quarterback can suffer through adversity and overcome it. He’s a great role model and a guy I’ve talked to plenty of times about his improvement in the league, the things he worked on and how he asserted himself as one of the top quarterbacks in this league.” McNair leads NFL QBs in rushing yards since 1995 (3,034), and only McNabb (1,884) has more than McNair’s 1,594 yards since 1999. He became the first quarterback since the 1970 NFL merger to rush for eight touchdowns in a season on two occasions (1997 and 1999), and his 1997 rushing total of 674 yards was, at the time, the third-highest rushing total by a quarterback in NFL history behind Randall Cunningham; an Eagle (942 yards in 1990) and Bobby Douglas (968 yards in 1972).
again so what? I conceded Mcnabb is a better rusher, but mcnair is better at everything else. If all your argument is based on rushing, lets anount Vick as the greatest player of all time.
But you know what RW. This dosen't prove a thing. I actually agree with you if you're sayIng that Steve is a top rated Qb (on his way out); McNabb is a Top-rated QB on His way in!

So let's just compromise by sayIng, you have your Opinion, while I have my opinion! :cool:
Steve isn't on his way out. He will be here another few years because unlike mcnabb, his game doesn't rely on his rushing...

Mcnair>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mcnabb

Reaction score
RW31 said:
Steve isn't on his way out...

Mcnair>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mcnabb

You are a shrewed arbitrator RW; with that kind of argument, I'm persuaded to see things your way :rolleyes:

It's clear now that McNair should be in the top 5 ;)

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take this with a grain of salt....however I have a friend that knew McNabb (he was a student at Syracuse while McNabb was there)....he says McNabb was a really nice guy but that he smelled like old bologna left out in the sun...and a strong smell of aqua velva/old spice mix to try and cover up the bologna smell.

Now Like I said take that with a grain of salt. :p

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Take this with a grain of salt....however I have a friend that knew McNabb (he was a student at Syracuse while McNabb was there)....he says McNabb was a really nice guy but that he smelled like old bologna left out in the sun...and a strong smell of aqua velva/old spice mix to try and cover up the bologna smell.

Now Like I said take that with a grain of salt. :p

Thanks Brain! You've just given away the strategy he used in college to avoid rushing linebackers. He's cleaned-up his act! :rolleyes:

blindzebra

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:

My Prediction for McNabb
64% 26 TDs and 11 interceptions.

Which is it?

AJM1613

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
My Prediction for McNabb
64% 26 TDs and 11 interceptions.

Which is it?
Those numbers I pulled out of my a**, but the 63.9% completion percentage, 22 TD, and 8 interceptions I got from what he did last year.

blindzebra

Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
Those numbers I pulled out of my a**, but the 63.9% completion percentage, 22 TD, and 8 interceptions I got from what he did last year.

You might want to check out Pasquarelli's look at Owens in the ESPN overview.

Your attack has been geared to a running/short passing game and that has worked. Owens will demand an altering of your offense that IMO will actually hurt McNabbs comp.% and INTs. He probably will approach 20 TDs, but he won't complete anywhere near 64% and I'd bet 12-14 INTs.

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Every QB on that list has better numbers than McNabb, so that makes them better ...

Blind,

You've got some dynamite barometer for determining the quality of QBs :eek:
How many times do people have to tell you that you just cannot judge the quality of any player by their stats (rhetorical question)?

Don't give the answer, if you don't know the question :rolleyes:

blindzebra

Reaction score
ARMAGEDDON EAGLE said:
Blind,

You've got some dynamite barometer for determining the quality of QBs :eek:
How many times do people have to tell you that you just cannot judge the quality of any player by their stats (rhetorical question)?

Don't give the answer, if you don't know the question :rolleyes:

You are right we should judge it by winning championship gam...oops, never mind.

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
You are right we should judge it by winning championship gam...oops, never mind.

I'll give it to you Blind ...you're getting warmer if you're talking about the three consecutive NFC East Divisional Champoinship games. Oops, you're talking about Donovan McNabb and the Eagles. :rolleyes:

blindzebra

Reaction score
ARMAGEDDON EAGLE said:
I'll give it to you Blind ...you're getting warmer if you're talking about the three consecutive NFC East Divisional Champoinship games. Oops, you're talking about Donovan McNabb and the Eagles. :rolleyes:

You play 6 DIVISIONAL games and 10 non-division games; they all add up to a divisional championship. There is no Divisional Championship GAME.

The division may come down to a head-to-head game, but that is a game FOR the division, not a divisional championship game.

Leave it to an Eagle fan to make up a championship. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.