Ellis and Parcells in shouting match?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Dooms, where does this come from? Are we talking 01 season?

Glover making the Pro Bowl in the 3-4? Do not remember which season but when the 34 was 1st mention by Dallas it was reported that Glover played it and went to the Pro bowl that year. Fact is just because a player may prefer the 4-3 over the 3-4 does not mean anything, heck Jason Ferguson said he like the 4-3 better as well but I don't hear anyone saying he needs to go because prefers one style over the other. I really do not know all the facts that took place between Ellis and Parcells but until Bill comes out and says Ellis is out of here I fully expect to see Ellis out on the field doing his best

Doomsday101

Reaction score
"This is a defense I've played before," Glover said. "I've had success with it. I think once everyone buys into it - as a defense - that's when we'll start getting comfortable with it. That's when you start to build some good team chemistry on defense.

"I'm a football player. That's my strength. I can adapt. I can play the game."

Glover, who has made five straight Pro Bowls, including the last three in Dallas, said he doesn't view himself playing just one spot. In New Orleans, Glover said he found himself playing a variety of positions, and is open to doing so again with the Cowboys.

"I played both positions - end, nose and then we did some variation things with me in the two-technique and the three-technique," Glover said. "We played a lot of different things with it. I prefer the 4-3, obviously. But the defense is different now. You have to be a lot more patient in the 3-4."

And regardless what scheme is played, Glover said he expects to continually be double-teamed out there, just in a different manner than he was when playing tackle in the 4-3.

"It just depends what position you line up at," Glover said. "If you're at the nose, it'll be center-guard. If you're at the end position, you're going to see a tackle-tight end double team. So it's a little different. But you still have the same goal and that's to get by them."

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The reason I ask, I see a lot of people mentioning this fact and I honestly have no idea when he would have made the Pro Bowl playing NT.

As for the rest, I'm not so sure. I would rather see us move them both now, while I think we could get something for them as opposed to waiting a year or two and getting nothing at all for them. JMO.

bsheeern

Reaction score
SALADIN said:
Ellis is one of the class acts of the team (league). If Parcells is trying to punk players like him them maybe he's the one who needs to go.
Being a class act and doing what's best for the team to win should go hand in hand. If Ellis isn't doing what Parcells says is best for the team and accepting his role then maybe he needs to re-evaluate his stance.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
The reason I ask, I see a lot of people mentioning this fact and I honestly have no idea when he would have made the Pro Bowl playing NT.

As for the rest, I'm not so sure. I would rather see us move them both now, while I think we could get something for them as opposed to waiting a year or two and getting nothing at all for them. JMO.

Myself I would rather keep both guys, I feel we need them to help make this defense strong and deep. I just tend not to get over excited about a player getting into a heated discussion with Parcells given Parcells past in these type of incidents. I think they get overblown by fans and the media yet to Bill it is no big deal. Now if Ellis starts to create problems (pouting and not giving his all) then we could have a problem until then as I said I fully expect Ellis to be out there playing his best until I see otherwise I have no reason to make this out to be more than I think it is. We shall see

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
"This is a defense I've played before," Glover said. "I've had success with it. I think once everyone buys into it - as a defense - that's when we'll start getting comfortable with it. That's when you start to build some good team chemistry on defense.

"I'm a football player. That's my strength. I can adapt. I can play the game."

Glover, who has made five straight Pro Bowls, including the last three in Dallas, said he doesn't view himself playing just one spot. In New Orleans, Glover said he found himself playing a variety of positions, and is open to doing so again with the Cowboys.

"I played both positions - end, nose and then we did some variation things with me in the two-technique and the three-technique," Glover said. "We played a lot of different things with it. I prefer the 4-3, obviously. But the defense is different now. You have to be a lot more patient in the 3-4."

And regardless what scheme is played, Glover said he expects to continually be double-teamed out there, just in a different manner than he was when playing tackle in the 4-3.

"It just depends what position you line up at," Glover said. "If you're at the nose, it'll be center-guard. If you're at the end position, you're going to see a tackle-tight end double team. So it's a little different. But you still have the same goal and that's to get by them."

Well, I know that NO played some 34 but really, not very much while Glover was there. I watched him fail at DE in that 34 scheme. I remember him playing with Martin and then Norman Hand was added but I just don't ever remember him being the NT in a predominate 34 scheme and making the Pro Bowl.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
bsheeern said:
Being a class act and doing what's best for the team to win should go hand in hand. If Ellis isn't doing what Parcells says is best for the team and accepting his role then maybe he needs to re-evaluate his stance.

Well, I think that's what he's trying to do right now.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Of course NORS is right.....Just ask him...... :D

I've been calling this one for a while.
I was told he has been on the trading block for awhile actually - but that is not a Cowboy source.

Ellis quotes were telling a few months back.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Well, I know that NO played some 34 but really, not very much while Glover was there. I watched him fail at DE in that 34 scheme. I remember him playing with Martin and then Norman Hand was added but I just don't ever remember him being the NT in a predominate 34 scheme and making the Pro Bowl.

Well I never make things up to fit an argument, he did play it and did make the pro bowl. Did he deserve to go to the Pro Bowl well that is all up for discussion but the facts are he did make the Pro Bowl team while playing the 34 in NO. He is familiar with the D and just as with Ellis I expect him to go out and play his best. Will their best be good enough? That is why we play the games, which will tell us all

bsheeern

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
What? This is not correct at all. First of all, Ellis was drafted by the Cowboys to be a solid player, team leader and represent Dallas in a positive light. He was not drafted to be Charles Haley.

Tell you what, lets cut him and see how long this guy is out of a job. Anybody who can consistantly post 8 to 10 sacks in this league, play the run strong and be a team leader who can stay out of the headlines will have a place in this league. They will also get paid to do it.
8-10 sacks???

tyke1doe

Reaction score
In 6 pages, I haven't seen a written confirmation of this supposed argument yet.

And I agree with Trophy6. Competitive people argue. I'd rather a person show emotion - provided they're hard working and want to win - than someone who is emotionless and doesn't seem to care.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I really don't understand the problem here.... Coaches and players get into yelling matches all the time during practices and such. This isn't anything new. So what if Greg is a nice guy nice guys can lose their cool just as well. I think people are reading tooooo much into it IMO

This will only get as big as the FANS make it. Don't make a stink out of it and the team won't but if the team has too visit this subject from now to TC then their focus will be in the wrong place, and tempers that much shorter wondering if there is more to this than normall thought.

So IMO let it go don't dwell on it and see what happens.....

i'm in complete agreement on it being too early to hit the panic button concerning ellis. i suspect he'll be just fine.

i was trying to picture Tom Landry in a shouting match with one of his players. it's not easy for me to do. he'd hafta be a really great player... and even then he should keep a suitcase packed. landry was somethin' else.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
i'm in complete agreement on it being too early to hit the panic button concerning ellis. i suspect he'll be just fine.

i was trying to picture Tom Landry in a shouting match with one of his players. it's not easy for me to do. he'd hafta be a really great player... and even then he should keep a suitcase packed. landry was somethin' else.

Actually Roger and Tom got into a few. Roger always wanted to call his own plays and Tom would not have anything to do with that. No doubt Tom was not demonstrative on the sidelines as Bill is but Tom’s wrath was just as bad

kartr

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Wow... You have to be kidding on several fronts. AB's actions are understandable because you think he had more talent? Ellis has produced more for this franchise than AB ever thought about.

And to compare him to Freddie Mitchell, a buffoon who repeatedly embarrassed his team... That's amazing you could think that.

Maybe Inman is right and Greg isn't worth "showcasing". I agree, he's not some superstar game changer all by himself. But to me, that's not even the issue. The question to me is, why can't you just have a mature man-to-man talk with one of your best professionals and team leaders before it turns into this? This reminds me of when Ekuban found out he wasn't active that day when his jersey wasn't in his locker. Are you telling me you can't somehow communicate to a player that he isn't active? And the fact that Ekuban didn't live up to expectations as a player is irrelevant IMO.

Plus, Ekuban was a player who never caused any trouble and who had a solid work ethic. I didn't blame Parcells for the problems with Bryant cause he was a Knuckle-head, although a talented one, but problems with even Ellis has me worried also.

kartr

Reaction score
Mash said:
IMHO Ellis is a very good run stuffer for a DE...and rarely makes mistakes....but he is a below average pass rusher because the doesn't have the speed to turn the corner.

Good player who gave all he had for this team.....

Ellis has been playing on the left side most of his career in Dallas, he played on the right side in college. I nothing but respect for a player like him that can produce even when playing out of position. How do we know he wouldn't have produced more if they had played him on the right side instead. They also told us that Ekuban couldn't handle the left side in 2000 in the 'pickle juice' game against the Eagles, yet produced 8 sacks last year in Cleveland playing on the left side. All of these things has to make one wonder about some of the coaching decisions.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Maybe Inman is right and Greg isn't worth "showcasing". I agree, he's not some superstar game changer all by himself. But to me, that's not even the issue. The question to me is, why can't you just have a mature man-to-man talk with one of your best professionals and team leaders before it turns into this?

Great post. It appears that some want to redefine the issue here in their eagerness to jump to Parcells' defense.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it true Parcells pulled a knive on him? And then Ellis gave him a superplex off the desk.

I bet it is because if I post it on a forum like this it must be true...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
ABQCowboy said:
First of all, Ellis was drafted by the Cowboys to be a solid player, team leader and represent Dallas in a positive light. He was not drafted to be Charles Haley.

This is precisely why practically none of the players we have drafted over the last 4-6 years are Cowboys any longer. If he did not have the talent to be a player worthy of his selection, and was simply a choice for "character" then it is no wonder why we have been so bad for so long.

But let's embrace the "pretty good nice guys" and hope for more.

That is a contradiction to what we put out on the field last time we were actually NFL champions.