First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Couldn't have said it better myself. Some of the same things I said when defending Romo are the same things I say when defending Dak. That's because, some of the same things people say about Dak are the same thing's people said about Romo.

But the difference is romo had one of these: https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/nfl-500-yard-passing-games-1.4246854 Whereas, Dak strugles to get 200 yards. It's easier to defend the quarterback in an 8-8 season, when he passses for 500+ yards in a game than it is to defend one that has low yardage in just about every game in the season.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
dak is also responsible for that...he needs to step up in the pocket, stop scrambling and stop pulling the ball down and make quicker throws. current 18 stats show he holds the ball average of 3 seconds....league average about 2.6.....yes, half a second is everything in the NFL

What pocket? The OTs allow the ends to crash and Williams gets carried into the backfield. No pocket.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Please stop. Romo showed that not only could he not win a playoff game, but that he could win games to get into the playoffs.

As far as the GB game I find it a little sad that fans still think it was a catch. And, that even if it was, it doesn't mean we win.
All the Romo-rooters claim Romo was in control of the offense and was calling the plays, changing them on and on. So why throw a 50/50 instead of getting a very short 1st down?

It was considered a catch before that game, through decads in the NFL. It is considered a catch with the current rules. The hall of fame Quarterback commentating the game thought it was a catch. So why is it sad that people considered it a catch, just because refs are changing long standing rules during games these days?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Your suspicion is lazy and isn't even true for an easy reason.
lol thats funny, "lazy". Listen I am not defensive about you dismissing my comment but it wasnt lazy. In fact since your choice of words is so far off it seems you are the lazy one

Little Jr

Reaction score
But the difference is romo had one of these: https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/nfl-500-yard-passing-games-1.4246854 Whereas, Dak strugles to get 200 yards. It's easier to defend the quarterback in an 8-8 season, when he passses for 500+ yards in a game than it is to defend one that has low yardage in just about every game in the season.
Yes and he had Dez in his prime and a true! #1 wr, a great TE in witten, a good running game, a above avg to good OL, a above avg #2 and #3 wr. It was his 8th year starting and his 11th year in the league. So yes, at that point in his career he was was much better than Dak is now. He was a better QB than Dak and probably will be in daks 11th year. Does that mean Dak sucks? Does that mean you have to be better than Romo to compete and have a chance to win a super bowl?

"His one blemish was the interception he threw with less than two minutes left in the game to set up a game-winning field goal for the Denver Broncos, who won 51-48 in an offensive battle."

Then there is this. If I remember correctly he haf a wr or rb wide open on that play and chose to go for the more risky throw and not the check down. I also remember people defending the play by saying it was just a good defensive play and he was also hit as he was throwing was another defense. Where as Dak gets slammed for going to the check down of the safer throw instead of the risky throw . There is good and bad in both philosophies.

Once again, I have never, and probably will never say, Dak is better than Romo. But to act like Romo is the high bar to set to win is just not true.

Reactions: G2

Little Jr

Reaction score
That's also when we had a running game but JG refused to use it and we passed the **** out of the ball. Fans would ALWAYS complain that we threw too much and needed to run the ball more. The next year JG was stripped of the play calling duties and Murray had a 1800 yd season and Romo had his best season as a pro.

btcutter

Reaction score
But why would you take 2016 out? Those game are part of his first 39. Taking them out will skew the data.

Yes they did. Problem is 2017 and 2018 more reflective of how he is playing. And I didn't say take out 1st say games of 2017.
Just trying take out the season that really skewed and artificially elevated his stats.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Once again, I have never, and probably will never say, Dak is better than Romo. But to act like Romo is the high bar to set to win is just not true.

That's not the point here though. The point was raised that people used to defend romo much like they are defending dak. Or to be more precise there are Dak-a-holics who blame everybody but dak, and people used to do the same with Romo. Well the quarterback is less likely to be the problem when he can put up big numbers like that. So the argument is more likely to be true.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Yes, the turnovers were his issue and Parcells said as much. that he has to control his impulse to make some of the throws and when he does, he can be a great QB. and guess what...that's what he used to do and he got better over time. he IMPROVED. and going to that same college in three different eras has nothing to do with that college producing NFL level QBs. the competition, coaching, the team and level of play at those places are much lower than bigger programs and major college programs. and yes, Dak went to a MAJOR college program where there is more ONE coach coaching the team and the head coach doesn't work with a QB directly ALL THE TIME, they have QB coaches...so trying to spin things so that Romo had a better situation in coaching and environment than Dak going to a major division 1 program doesn't hold water...you are sounding desparate. and more of a dak lover and dak excuser.

stabauch was a scrambler, and during his era he had the tendency to throw down field and he was a great passer. Staubach was more like favre than aikman in the post you had compared ROmo modeling himself after Favre and Dak after Staubach and Aikman. Aikman was a pure pure pure pocket passer. Staubach could scramble and run around a bit.....he wasn't a pure pocket passer....hard to compare eras since the passing game schemes in different eras were different.

what's bat crap space crazy is comparing a division II team to a Division 1 major college program and claiming the division II team is better!!! that's just plain nuts
I'm sorry but you made a comparison of Roger Staubach and Brett Farve. If you did not do that then please accept my apology. If you did, then please see my response in the other post.

No I am not a Dak lover. I just know he has more tools to work with to build a Championship team than Romo had out of college. Trust me I have rip Dak on this forum. But, name me the Cowboys QB that started the regular season with out their no.1 WR, no.1 TE and no.1 C from the previous year and expected to go to the playoffs? Now Jerry trades for a WR with 7 games played into the season. I guess better late than never.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Can we stop this mis representation please?

I'm not saying TO wasn't good. He is a HOF receiver and deservedly so.
But he was 34 years old in 2007.

34 years old is absolutely NOT "in your prime" for a professional athlete. TO was still darn good but he was not 'in his prime'.

For pete's sake, Dez turns 30 in a few days and people said he needed to go because he was washed up and over the hill.

34 year old TO was better than any cowboy WR in 2016. Maybe not his prime but he was an all pro that year along with a few other times I believe. He and Witten both over 1000 yards. Way more weapons that year.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
lol thats funny, "lazy". Listen I am not defensive about you dismissing my comment but it wasnt lazy. In fact since your choice of words is so far off it seems you are the lazy one
It was lazy but of course nobody wants to admit their pov is such. I might be the lazy one if that makes you feel better but not on this item here.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I'm sorry but you made a comparison of Roger Staubach and Brett Farve. If you did not do that then please accept my apology. If you did, then please see my response in the other post.

No I am not a Dak lover. I just know he has more tools to work with to build a Championship team than Romo had out of college. Trust me I have rip Dak on this forum. But, name me the Cowboys QB that started the regular season with out their no.1 WR, no.1 TE and no.1 C from the previous year and expected to go to the playoffs? Now Jerry trades for a WR with 7 games played into the season. I guess better late than never.

Part of the problem with your argument here is that one of the biggest reasons that the number one wide receiver and number one tight end from the previous year are gone, is because they were criticized for their lack of production and viewed as expendable

And a main reason their production plummeted is because Prescott couldn't capitalize on their abilities like the previous quarterback could

Dez got flat-out scapegoated. the guy played his way into a 70 million dollar contract and two years later we're supposed to believe he totally forgot how to play the game

BoysForLife

Reaction score
34 year old TO was better than any cowboy WR in 2016. Maybe not his prime but he was an all pro that year along with a few other times I believe. He and Witten both over 1000 yards. Way more weapons that year.

So we agree that Romo did not have Terrell Owens in his prime. Good

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Staubach was the precursor to the modern playmaking QB and Brett Favre definitely had a lot of Roger Dodger in him. And who do you think Brett said his favorite player was growing up? None other than Roger Staubach himself. If you don’t like the comparison, it’s probably because you haven’t watched much football that wasn’t Madden.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Derrick Carr would love to have this offensive line. A line that hasn't mailed it in for the year. Heck David Carr would loved to have played behind this line.