First impressive Jaylon video

Cowboys22

Reaction score
He appears to be moving well and I'm all for the optimism but I just don't know how he is going to react to live football with 325 lb OL grabbing and pushing on him. Is the drop foot situation, if he still has it, going to be too much of a hinderance to overcome. Will he be able to fight off those blocks is my biggest question mark.

Proof

Reaction score
He wouldn’t be the first player to severely underestimate the impact an injury will have on his ability to play.

Let’s face it, he’s not played a down in the NFL and frankly show me the man who’s played at a high level with a brace like Smith has to wear.

I do hope he’s back to fully health and is everything we hoped he’d be, but let’s see him actually do it before proclaiming him to be the next great Cowboy LB’er.

Nah. Gonna go ahead and proclaim it. Thanks tho

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
2uota3d.jpg

His ankle is not all taped up in the initial drill and he is allowing the foot to drop. If he could not pick up his foot then that orientation of his foot is what would land on the trampoline.

waldoputty

Reaction score
2uota3d.jpg

His ankle is not all taped up in the initial drill and he is allowing the foot to drop. If he could not pick up his foot then that orientation of his foot is what would land on the trampoline.

That is a very interesting point.
I tried to freeze frame through this with great trouble.
Is it possible for him to perform the trampoline test if his left foot is not mostly recovered?
Given how the trampoline responds, it is hard to believe he could jump up straight without reasonable recovery from the foot drop.
Any doctors or physical therapists here?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's actually doing some hard lateral drills here and moving very well.

Ive blown off all the previous stuff, but this one has some good stuff.

I can't determine if he has a brace on. His left foot is the one that is the problem.

The AFO devices vary quit a bit. Some of them are low profile enough to fit under those socks that he's wearing (the black socks).

articulating_hinged_afo.png

afo-f-big.jpg

55472101L.JPG

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
That is a very interesting point.
I tried to freeze frame through this with great trouble.
Is it possible for him to perform the trampoline test if his left foot is not mostly recovered?
Given how the trampoline responds, it is hard to believe he could jump up straight without reasonable recovery from the foot drop.
Any doctors or physical therapists here?

You are correct.

If he still had complete peroneal palsy, he would be landing on his toes.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it was Bryan Broaddus who said, there is a player who is playing today with the same brace at a high level. Of course he didnt go into detail, but I'm sure even with a brace Jaylon would be an improvement...
Sean Spence and Dan Mason both had a similar injury and the drop-foot problem.

Both returned to play.

One article inferred that Spence used a brace (AFO) but I can't confirm if he used and brace and if he did how long he used it.

Elziegreat83

Reaction score

Fisher isn't very optimistic about him... you can see it all over his timeline. Meh, not sure if much stock should be put in Fish

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Fisher isn't very optimistic about him... you can see it all over his timeline. Meh, not sure if much stock should be put in Fish

Fisher likes to post "corrections" to things that fans believe or things that other media have said if he believe that the information if incorrect.

Back in the day, he would point out all of the false information that Skip Bayless reported.

Sydla

Reaction score
He appears to be moving well and I'm all for the optimism but I just don't know how he is going to react to live football with 325 lb OL grabbing and pushing on him. Is the drop foot situation, if he still has it, going to be too much of a hinderance to overcome. Will he be able to fight off those blocks is my biggest question mark.

All true............ but if we are being honest, there are people here who thought he would never be able to do what he's doing in that video.

So at this point, what we see is a positive development and anyone trying to spin it otherwise is just a curmudgeon who just likes to %$#$ for ^%$%ing sake.

RS12

Reaction score

More importantly, quite a few MDs havent either.

I read other teams took him off their board when he didnt show enough progress at last years combine.

Last edited:

waldoputty

Reaction score
You are correct.

If he still had complete peroneal palsy, he would be landing on his toes.

So this is the first video evidence that there is at least partial recovery from the foot drop?

Who knows if it is 100% recovery, but that sounds good to me.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He's looking great. I'm convinced now that the kid will play next season. Can't wait to see how he performs in game time situations. Having him and General Lee side by side next season will be a huge boost to our D.

Sydla

Reaction score
More importantly, quite a few MDs havent either.

I read other teams took him off their board when he didnt show enough progress at last years combine.

Isn't Dr. Chao the quack who got fired by the Chargers and has a somewhat checkered past?

PS -The 2nd tweet you linked apparently has nothing to do with Smith. It looks like its in reference to a UF basketball player hurting his knee in last night's UF-Auburn game.

RS12

Reaction score
Isn't Dr. Chao the quack who got fired by the Chargers and has a somewhat checkered past?
He has been to medical school, I havent, so he knows more than I do. As I said his wasnt the only negative team doctor opinion I read on the subject. Take it FWIW.