Game of Thrones

Reaction score
Yes, I can already tell you that from the little info blurb on my DirecTV that this last episode ends the same place the first book does. Also, I don't know why they only did 10 episodes instead of 12, but I hope they expand it to 12 for seasons 2 and beyond, because they can easily fill it.

As for Jaime, there has been some dialogue that indicates how ****** he is, like Tyrion talking about how the knight of the vale should be unhappy when he initially says he chooses Jaime to be his champion, and I seem to recall a couple other dialogue mentions that they tried to use for some of that exposition, but it's hard for me to look at it from the viewpoint of those who haven't already read the books.

Reaction score
Also, for anybody wondering how they're going to handle characters on screen who aren't really in book 2 *****pseudo spoilers below, highlight to read*******

Robb and Jaime are going to have scenes in the 2nd season of the show. Some of it will be just creating scenes to get Robb in there that aren't from the book, and Jaime's scenes will be pushing stuff from book 3 up into season 2 of the show.

This is per the show creators, interviewed for winter-is-coming.net. The whole interview is up there talking about them doing pre-production for s2 right now, and answering some questions. Don't read the interview if you care about spoilers.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Joshmvii;3974267 said:
Yes, I can already tell you that from the little info blurb on my DirecTV that this last episode ends the same place the first book does. Also, I don't know why they only did 10 episodes instead of 12, but I hope they expand it to 12 for seasons 2 and beyond, because they can easily fill it.

As for Jaime, there has been some dialogue that indicates how ****** he is, like Tyrion talking about how the knight of the vale should be unhappy when he initially says he chooses Jaime to be his champion, and I seem to recall a couple other dialogue mentions that they tried to use for some of that exposition, but it's hard for me to look at it from the viewpoint of those who haven't already read the books.
Having not read the books at all until beginning last week, I got the impression from an exchange between Ned and Jaime that Ned would have wiped the floor with him. There was a comment from Ned that Jaime basically just chose his opponents wisely, and that Jaime had killed the Mad King from behind. When they attacked Ned in the streets, it kind of intimated otherwise, but still Ned and his men were outnumbered.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
peplaw06;3974339 said:
Having not read the books at all until beginning last week, I got the impression from an exchange between Ned and Jaime that Ned would have wiped the floor with him. There was a comment from Ned that Jaime basically just chose his opponents wisely, and that Jaime had killed the Mad King from behind. When they attacked Ned in the streets, it kind of intimated otherwise, but still Ned and his men were outnumbered.

This is what I get too. Jamie is a great swordsmen, but a better judge of who not to fight straight up. Ned and Robert (pre-fat) were very seasoned and proven great warriors.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
nyc;3974376 said:
This is what I get too. Jamie is a great swordsmen, but a better judge of who not to fight straight up. Ned and Robert (pre-fat) were very seasoned and proven great warriors.

Here is a good article on it.
EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention there may be a couple of small spoilers for the other books in this link.

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2011/05/eddard-stark-and-the-song-of-steel.html

In the books, Ned wouldn't have been able to deal with Jaime very easily.

Temo

Reaction score
Jaime is young and in his prime. I don't think he would have lost to Ned.

He implied as much later, when he told his father he couldn't kill Ned because someone stabbed his leg and disabled him, making it dishonorable to make the killing blow.

Also Aerys (the Mad King) was old, crazy, and falling apart physically and mentally, he wouldn't have been much of a fight for Jaime. Also the King did not get get killed from behind per se, but stabbed when he turned to flee Jaime. Jaime's honor would never allow him to kill a man from the shadows.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Temo;3974441 said:
Jaime is young and in his prime. I don't think he would have lost to Ned.

He implied as much later, when he told his father he couldn't kill Ned because someone stabbed his leg and disabled him, making it dishonorable to make the killing blow.

Also Aerys (the Mad King) was old, crazy, and falling apart physically and mentally, he wouldn't have been much of a fight for Jaime. Also the King did not get get killed from behind per se, but stabbed when he turned to flee Jaime. Jaime's honor would never allow him to kill a man from the shadows.

:laugh2: Yeah, and his killing of the Mad King wasn't dishonorable way to kill either!

Kevinicus

Reaction score
In the books, Ned isn't built up as being as good as he is in the show. But it's pretty much unanimous thought that Jaime is the best there is. And they did acknowledge it somewhat when he was captured when Theon mentioned he cut through 10 men (though they don't say what he was trying to do when he did that).

As for season 2, I believe it's been confirmed that it is only 10 episodes (though I suppose they could change their minds), and really now that I'm getting closer to finishing the book, I don't think it's that much of an issue really. I don't think they'll have a problem with getting the key points with enough depth out of 10 episodes. I just hope they have the budget for the end.

For the 3rd book, there are some talks of them actually covering that over the course of 2 seasons.

Reaction score
peplaw06;3974339 said:

In the books, Ned was not a great fighter, but a good tactician. In the books Jaime is referred to as one of the greatest living swordsmen, and even compared favorably to the greatest ever, like Arthur Dayne, sword of the morning. That's the stuff they allude to with Tyrion saying he's going to choose Jaime as his champion in a way that is meant to scare people, etc.

They obviously decided for TV they'd make Ned more of a ******, which I'm fine with. I think they really just wanted to get viewers even more into that character before they bring the hammer down, or in this case, Ice the greatsword. :D

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Joshmvii;3974780 said:
In the books, Ned was not a great fighter, but a good tactician. In the books Jaime is referred to as one of the greatest living swordsmen, and even compared favorably to the greatest ever, like Arthur Dayne, sword of the morning. That's the stuff they allude to with Tyrion saying he's going to choose Jaime as his champion in a way that is meant to scare people, etc.

They obviously decided for TV they'd make Ned more of a ******, which I'm fine with. I think they really just wanted to get viewers even more into that character before they bring the hammer down, or in this case, Ice the greatsword. :D

Was it Ice that was used on the show? I'd have to go back and watch the first episode to see if it was the same.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
This is the first series in a long time that I am actually anticipating the show days in advance. I am going to have to pick up the books over the summer, but I don't want to spoil the current season's finale.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Joe Rod;3974921 said:
This is the first series in a long time that I am actually anticipating the show days in advance. I am going to have to pick up the books over the summer, but I don't want to spoil the current season's finale.

It ends Sunday. Unless you sit and read the whole damn thing before Sunday you aren't going to ruin anything. :)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Joshmvii;3974780 said:

I'm reading the book currently and never did I see this. It is said that he and Robert led the war against the the Mad King. Unless that tidbit of information comes out in later books, but considering Ned is dead I would think it unlikely. (unless some of the other books are prequals)

As for Jamie, all I've see is that he is a very good swordsmen, but always selects his opponents *with great care* so that he wouldn't lose. If I remember correctly, you find this both in the book and the show.

Again, unless something says otherwise in later books.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
nyc;3974966 said:
I'm reading the book currently and never did I see this. It is said that he and Robert led the war against the the Mad King. Unless that tidbit of information comes out in later books, but considering Ned is dead I would think it unlikely. (unless some of the other books are prequals)

As for Jamie, all I've see is that he is a very good swordsmen, but always selects his opponents *with great care* so that he wouldn't lose. If I remember correctly, you find this both in the book and the show.

Again, unless something says otherwise in later books.

He's Floyd Mayweather :laugh2:

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
nyc;3974962 said:
It ends Sunday. Unless you sit and read the whole damn thing before Sunday you aren't going to ruin anything. :)

:laugh2: Good point!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Borrowed the book from a friend yesterday. Read the first few chapters last night.

So far it is pretty close to the show with just a few differences.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3974992 said:
Borrowed the book from a friend yesterday. Read the first few chapters last night.

So far it is pretty close to the show with just a few differences.

I've noticed the same thing so far. One thing that I didn't remember from the show that I've noticed in the books is the depth of Jon Snow's relationship with his half-siblings, specifically Arya. I remember Jon coming into Bran's room after he had fallen and before he left for the wall, but that's about the extent of what I remember from the show.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
peplaw06;3975021 said:
I've noticed the same thing so far. One thing that I didn't remember from the show that I've noticed in the books is the depth of Jon Snow's relationship with his half-siblings, specifically Arya. I remember Jon coming into Bran's room after he had fallen and before he left for the wall, but that's about the extent of what I remember from the show.

Reading the book along with the show gives the show more depth. It makes the show even better.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
peplaw06;3975021 said:

Well the boy and the girl he seemed to have good relationships with in the show. He was the one that she seemed to like as well. Remember he was the one that had the Needle sword made for her.

I don't know if it is foreshadowing but I noticed that right after Jon first meets Tyrion (sp?) that the imp walks into the great hall and the chapter ends with something along the lines of....when he walked in and the light cast the shadow of the imp, his shadow made him look regular size or kingly...something along those lines.

I don't want anyone to spoil it for us but just as someone starting out in the books and not knowing how things play out down the road...it seems like they might be playing it out that Tyrion may wind up being king. I doubt that happens but it seems there are signs pointing towards that.

Temo

Reaction score
nyc;3974478 said:
:laugh2: Yeah, and his killing of the Mad King wasn't dishonorable way to kill either!

I can't respond to this without spoilers.