How many bad contracts do we have left?

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm throwing the top 10 QB away because the results are the same. Top 10 doesn't mean anything when there is a huge drop from #8 and everyone else. What does top 10 mean then? That you have the freshest leftover? I'm not the owner of the team. I'm not satisfied with being okay to good and never winning a championship because of the money. I'm a fan. I'd rather go 2-14 than 8-8. I don't care how long it can take. I want to win 100%.

There was a question that I saw a long time ago, I forget the context it was so long ago. You have 100 people. Do you go over bridge A where at least half of your people will die? But half will survive. Or do you choose bridge B where there is a 50/50% chance all of you live, or all of you die. I choose bridge B, Dak supporters choose Bridge A.
If Dak were being paid around 25-30 mil/season which is where he should be, we could win a super bowl w/ him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm throwing the top 10 QB away because the results are the same. Top 10 doesn't mean anything when there is a huge drop from #8 and everyone else. What does top 10 mean then? That you have the freshest leftover? I'm not the owner of the team. I'm not satisfied with being okay to good and never winning a championship because of the money. I'm a fan. I'd rather go 2-14 than 8-8. I don't care how long it can take. I want to win 100%.

There was a question that I saw a long time ago, I forget the context it was so long ago. You have 100 people. Do you go over bridge A where at least half of your people will die? But half will survive. Or do you choose bridge B where there is a 50/50% chance all of you live, or all of you die. I choose bridge B, Dak supporters choose Bridge A.

I dont even know what your talking about at this point. Good luck winning a SB without a top 10 QB. Who the hell wants to be just good? LOL

Whatever.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak had a good season. Was off the chain and an MVP candidate until the Oline went south. QB's are beholden to protection and many factors around them. The offense went from all world to inconsistent as soon as the line went south. Until we fix the line, that wont change.

If you really think Dak will ever cost us 49 million, you aren't paying attention.

Cant blame the performance wholly upon the O-line protection....Dak was 21st on the most sacked QB list. Though I will accept that he needs a perfect pocket due to mobility issues probably due to the lingering effects of the injuries.

So if Dak's not paid $49m (2023) and $52m (2024)....it'll mean increasing the void year payments (already $21.8m in 2025)....great lets pay our CAP money for nothing.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If Dak were being paid around 25-30 mil/season which is where he should be, we could win a super bowl w/ him.
Seems like we couldn't, He made less than 700,000 on his rookie contract.

kskboys

Reaction score
I dont even know what your talking about at this point. Good luck winning a SB without a top 10 QB. Who the hell wants to be just good? LOL

Whatever.
He is saying that having a Qb who is in the 8-15 category will result in being just good. I tend to agree, but only because Jerry is not smart enough to understand that that Dak would be perfect for a ball control O and that we should aim for just that, and focus on the D.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Whatever.
Heading into 2021 Stafford wasnt a top 10 QB....by design or fact that a team winning a SB 99/100 has at least a decent Offense then the QB will always be in top 100 (after the fact).

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Cant blame the performance wholly upon the O-line protection....Dak was 21st on the most sacked QB list. Though I will accept that he needs a perfect pocket due to mobility issues probably due to the lingering effects of the injuries.

So if Dak's not paid $49m (2023) and $52m (2024)....it'll mean increasing the void year payments (already $21.8m in 2025)....great lets pay our CAP money for nothing.

All they will do is keep restructuring and turning the salary into a signing bonus so its spread out. Like with Romo there will a big hit at the end when he is gone for a year or two of dead cap while they try to find another QB.

Plenty of reasons the offense went south.

kskboys

Reaction score
Seems like we couldn't, He made less than 700,000 on his rookie contract.
Of course, because Jerry cannot draft. Look at what we did in draft and FA. In 17 we took Taco(One year wonder and most likely a project) and two CB's. When we needed to build the DLine to go further in the playoffs, we went for flash and cheap FA's. That was the year we signed Nolan Carrol, Paea, and Damontre Moore. All role players at best. Not one starter.

What we need is a D genius who understands what it takes. And let him have whatever he wants. Take Dak, understand what he truly is and just admit his faults and strengths and build the team accordingly, and we could make some playoff noise.

Instead, we focus on pathetically trying to make Dak play like Mahomes, acquiring more weapons for him in the hopes that it will make him more than what he is.

At present, MIA is doing the same thing w/ Tua. No matter how many weapons he has, Tua will still suck.

No matter how many weapons Dak has, he will still be better as the ball control dude who doesn't turn the ball over.

kskboys

Reaction score
Heading into 2021 Stafford wasnt a top 10 QB....by design or fact that a team winning a SB 99/100 has at least a decent Offense then the QB will always be in top 100 (after the fact).
Disagree. Stafford has always been a top 3-8 QB. Why are you claiming he wasn't top 10? You might be listening to the wrong people if your evaluation about Stafford is so off.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He is saying that having a Qb who is in the 8-15 category will result in being just good. I tend to agree, but only because Jerry is not smart enough to understand that that Dak would be perfect for a ball control O and that we should aim for just that, and focus on the D.
Who is talking 8-15? See how the argument has to be changed constantly? Dak is 5-10. I wont argue with the haters where he is. I have him at 7.

If the team is only "good" with a QB like that, then the problem is usually the team and or coaching. Which it has been here the last 16 years with both Romo and Dak.

Dak has shown clearly that when you surround him with quality talent, he excels and can be elite with what he does. Hell he did it as a rookie.

Now if your going to have a poor line, then no Dak probably isnt your guy. Neither is anyone else. But I dont think Dak needs a dominant run game. Dak can run a pass first offense you just need a good Oline that will give you a clean pocket most of the time.

Would he be better with a dominant run game? Sure, who wouldnt.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Disagree. Stafford has always been a top 3-8 QB. Why are you claiming he wasn't top 10? You might be listening to the wrong people if your evaluation about Stafford is so off.

I always had Stafford as a great QB. Most of these QB challenged types wrote him off long ago. They only seem to recognize a great QB when the team has great success.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

:huh: Stafford has always been a top 10 QB buddy.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Still not understanding the Shultz tag issues. They used it well. On a position with a low top 5 average. He likely gets signed for more then that in FA. So we kept him off the market, saved some money, and best part is that its only a one year deal. And we can negotiate with him and try to save more money.
I try to rationalize it that way, then I see Austin Hooper sign for half that....

You know your Cowboys....IMO anyway, lol....

How do you feel on the topic of how Schultz' run blocking affects the offense overall.....especially when our top WR aren't exactly great blockers?

I STILL say that Pollard not getting more snaps was plenty about having at least one skill player that can actually run block....so the run game suffers even more on a domino effect.

I'm generally neutral on Dak and am fine with him, but he needs a solid run game to be as effective as he can. That's been proven.

If the plan overall was to buy a year to find a TE starter in this draft then I'm OK with it....yet still go back to Hooper at half price coupled with how they love to save money.

Those rules don't seem to apply if it'll validate a Dallas draft pick.

We're 'cheap,' but 6.5m a year for Dorance Armstrong?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

@CowboyRoy Well for a start, before 2021, he's only been in the top 10 in QBR twice in 5 years.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Of course, because Jerry cannot draft. Look at what we did in draft and FA. In 17 we took Taco(One year wonder and most likely a project) and two CB's. When we needed to build the DLine to go further in the playoffs, we went for flash and cheap FA's. That was the year we signed Nolan Carrol, Paea, and Damontre Moore. All role players at best. Not one starter.

What we need is a D genius who understands what it takes. And let him have whatever he wants. Take Dak, understand what he truly is and just admit his faults and strengths and build the team accordingly, and we could make some playoff noise.

Instead, we focus on pathetically trying to make Dak play like Mahomes, acquiring more weapons for him in the hopes that it will make him more than what he is.

At present, MIA is doing the same thing w/ Tua. No matter how many weapons he has, Tua will still suck.

No matter how many weapons Dak has, he will still be better as the ball control dude who doesn't turn the ball over.

Dont agree that Dak cant run a pass first, high octane attack. HE does it already and he does it well. It will never work with bad Oline play. And it scoring tons of points means little if your defense sucks. AGain..........it all comes back to having a SB caliber team. Scoring points is scoring points.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I try to rationalize it that way, then I see Austin Hooper sign for half that....

How do you feel on the topic of how Schultz' run blocking affects the offense overall.....especially when our top WR aren't exactly great blockers?

I STILL say that Pollard not getting more snaps was plenty about having at least one skill player that can actually run block....so the run game suffers even more on a domino effect.

I'm generally neutral on Dak and am fine with him, but he needs a solid run game to be as effective as he can. That's been proven.

If the plan overall was to buy a year to find a TE starter in this draft then I'm OK with it....yet still go back to Hooper at half price coupled with how they love to save money.

NO I agree. I would not pay top 5 money for a TE that cant block. Shultz is detriment to the run game. This is where the whole "plan" thing falls off for me. Do you want a run first or pass first offense? Cant have Shultz as the #1 TE and then want to pound the ball.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

In my opinion this is all simple. The front office is unable to replenish the lines. Doesn't matter what the QB makes.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Digs will want a new contract next year. CeeDee maybe next year too or he’ll hold out. Parsons won’t start chirping until after next season. It doesn’t matter what the player’s contract says, it is when the agent tells the player he needs a better contract that crap goes to hell, contract be damned.

fivetwos

Reaction score
NO I agree. I would not pay top 5 money for a TE that cant block. Shultz is detriment to the run game. This is where the whole "plan" thing falls off for me. Do you want a run first or pass first offense? Cant have Shultz as the #1 TE and then want to pound the ball.
Absolutely right. The Cooper and Schultz moves contradict each other.

People like to add up catch numbers. How do we replace that??? Maybe with a running play that gained four yards.

My problem with the offseason overall is that the moves don't seem to be in sync with one another.

Wanna purge the overpaid, entitled underachevers? Fine...but then offer Gregory 70 million?

And at the top of the list....what you just mentioned about the run game.

It all tells me that not only is there no "secret sauce," but there's no real plan either. It's all reactionary.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

In my opinion this is all simple. The front office is unable to replenish the lines. Doesn't matter what the QB makes.

Its just impossible to do all this with ONLY the draft. If they had signed a legit DE in FA, a legit guard and then they draft a great center at 24 we are right back in business.

Problem is they have overpaid the wrong guys so they are stuck bargain hunting in FA.