I do think Parsons was the guy all along

starfan1

Reaction score
Show me a link they said that before the draft. Or any of our beat writers were picking Parsons in that slot based on their insider info from Frisco.

Was he on our board of course. But I’m certainly not buying what our front office says after the fact regardless how well of a pick it was. Everything coming out of Frisco and local press was either CB.
I’m not sure that I heard CB out of the cowboys organization either . Yes I heard it from a lot of the beat writers and national media everybody in planet was saying cb but I don’t remember hearing it specifically from the Jones’s or fat man or Mclay.I think Steven maybe answered a question about Horn but ultimately was not comittal. I could be wrong though

regardless to me it don’t matter if they are trying some after draft cover up they got the guy who I believe makes the best and fastest impact

Big_D

Reaction score
I’ll never believe they intended to take Parsons before Surtain or Horn.

But I will commend them for their trade after the fact and their move to get Parsons. It actually turned out well. It just wasn’t their initial plan or they would have stayed put and selected him.

why not? Have you been watching this D and the longstanding difficulties of stopping the run. Seems like they made it a point to really fix that, not just slap a bandaid on it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
why not? Have you been watching this D and the longstanding difficulties of stopping the run. Seems like they made it a point to really fix that, not just slap a bandaid on it.
Why not? Because I follow the local beat writers and front office closely. Every indicator had us taking one of the CB’s if they were there at our slot.

But after the fact I think we did really well. The fact both players were grabbed right in front of us may have been a blessing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure that I heard CB out of the cowboys organization either . Yes I heard it from a lot of the beat writers and national media everybody in planet was saying cb but I don’t remember hearing it specifically from the Jones’s or fat man or Mclay.I think Steven maybe answered a question about Horn but ultimately was not comittal. I could be wrong though

regardless to me it don’t matter if they are trying some after draft cover up they got the guy who I believe makes the best and fastest impact
Yep .. and I think it may turn out to be the best pick for us. But the point remains we were looking to take one of the CB in our slot.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It matters not at all what beat writers thought. They’re just guessing like the rest of us.

The one guy who is an NFL insider and is known for breaking NFL news (Ian Rappoport) said that he knew for a couple of days before the draft that Parsons was the top choice. There is a link earlier in this thread with a video of him saying this.

And he said he didn’t break that news because it would be putting a teams draft plans out there before the draft… not a good way to remain an insider, I’d think.

That is also why the team didn’t tell anyone that their target was Parsons. That would just be silly.

And the team never said they were shooting for the corners either, for that matter. That was just the consensus of all the fans and media on who they thought Dallas was going to target based on interviews, campus visits, etc.
I understand but I follow the beat writers closely. I feel their insider hunch is much better informed than most including national media and especially our anonymous group here.

Dak_N_Zeke

Reaction score
I think it's possible the Cowboys had Parsons as a higher rated player than the CBs, but had the CBs higher on their board.

There's no such thing as drafting BPA, even if teams tell you that's their strategy. You always take into account need and the impact of the position.

I think the CBs were definitely above Parsons on their board, but it's possible they had him rated slightly higher than the CBs. It absolutely makes sense.

starfan1

Reaction score
Yep .. and I think it may turn out to be the best pick for us. But the point remains we were looking to take one of the CB in our slot.

well that's the point I was kind of making. i don't know that to be definite. I think that yes it was position of high need and maybe you're right but I am not convinced had Horn or Surtain been there that Parsons still wouldn't have been the pick. I believe that the only picks the cowboys definitely would have taken over Parsons were Sewell and Pitts. and I'm not 100% sure on Pitts.

again though its not worth hashing over much I'm excited with the pick and how he helps the cowboys.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In fact, Booger went out of his way to say players that opted out were not getting the same consideration as players that played and then picks one that opted out? I think that was a smokescreen and Parsons was the guy.

I think, like Parcells, he likes all of that pre draft posturing and may have even picked some of that up from Parcells who said lying before the draft isn't lying, it's gamesmanship and it is expected. It's poker.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand but I follow the beat writers closely. I feel their insider hunch is much better informed than most including national media and especially our anonymous group here.
You don't think they get used to muddying the water? Booger & mostly the son have a symbiotic relationship with the local media and have had since he first rolled into Dallas. He used them for free pub when he needed it the most and even danced with the devils that speared him over firing Landry.

I think they were spreading exactly what Booger wanted out there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You don't think they get used to muddying the water? Booger & mostly the son have a symbiotic relationship with the local media and have had since he first rolled into Dallas. He used them for free pub when he needed it the most and even danced with the devils that speared him over firing Landry.

I think they were spreading exactly what Booger wanted out there.
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t you also agree with the pre-draft vibe that we had our sights on both of the CB’s?

And for someone who doesn’t follow Jethro, even intentionally ignoring him, you appear to have a sense that he’s out smarting or toying with the local media. It’s difficult for me to afford him such credit. As he too often has to go into Damage Control for his missteps.

starfan1

Reaction score
In fact, Booger went out of his way to say players that opted out were not getting the same consideration as players that played and then picks one that opted out? I think that was a smokescreen and Parsons was the guy.

I think, like Parcells, he likes all of that pre draft posturing and may have even picked some of that up from Parcells who said lying before the draft isn't lying, it's gamesmanship and it is expected. It's poker.
I didn't even hear that

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t you also agree with the pre-draft vibe that we had our sights on both of the CB’s?

And for someone who doesn’t follow Jethro, even intentionally ignoring him, you appear to have a sense that he’s out smarting or toying with the local media. It’s difficult fir me to afford him such credit. As he too often has to go into Damage Control for his missteps.
He's not outsmarting anyone. Did his comment about players opting out not fit him perfectly? That was a statement you would assume would come form DAL or HOU.

I think they were looking at several players but position wise we do not know the effect of Quinn.

How does either of those CB's begin to address the run D Quinn was facing? No stud DL in this draft to be his Bennett or Avril, how was he going to address the very problem he was hired to fix with any CB?

I think a discussion took place, probably more than once, about that D in SEA and how it was constructed with Booger probably fixated on the Legion of Boom. I think Quinn pointed out the reason the Cowboys beat them in SEA was because the best MLB in the game was out and the Cowboys were able to take advantage of that.

Right or wrong, coaches have influence with Booger, Marinelli got Charleton and Hill. I think Quinn got Parsons. I think he felt the difference between Parsons and the next LB was greater than the difference between the top 3 CB's and the next in line.

I could be wrong but I think the week leading up to the draft, Parsons became the #1 target and the only team the Cowboys were concerned about getting him picked at 9th.

That said, I do not think there was a D player in this draft that the Cowboys felt they "had" to have. I think Parsons was #1 but they could have made do if they lost out on him. I think they felt the same when they could have moved up for Barmore or Moehrig and stayed put.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't even hear that
Oh yeah, I was shocked. I wondered what the hell is he doing, why even bring that up? But it did sound like something in character for him to say. When they took Parsons, it made sense to me. One last effort to throw them off the trail.

I don't think it had any effect, teams don't pick players to keep other teams from getting them and no GM is going to be tracking Booger for D picks, the Cowboys have been terrible at it.

However, that might have changed in this draft and I would like to know just how much influence Quinn had on the needs draft board.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He's not outsmarting anyone. Did his comment about players opting out not fit him perfectly? That was a statement you would assume would come form DAL or HOU.

I think they were looking at several players but position wise we do not know the effect of Quinn.

How does either of those CB's begin to address the run D Quinn was facing? No stud DL in this draft to be his Bennett or Avril, how was he going to address the very problem he was hired to fix with any CB?

I think a discussion took place, probably more than once, about that D in SEA and how it was constructed with Booger probably fixated on the Legion of Boom. I think Quinn pointed out the reason the Cowboys beat them in SEA was because the best MLB in the game was out and the Cowboys were able to take advantage of that.

Right or wrong, coaches have influence with Booger, Marinelli got Charleton and Hill. I think Quinn got Parsons. I think he felt the difference between Parsons and the next LB was greater than the difference between the top 3 CB's and the next in line.

I could be wrong but I think the week leading up to the draft, Parsons became the #1 target and the only team the Cowboys were concerned about getting him picked at 9th.

That said, I do not think there was a D player in this draft that the Cowboys felt they "had" to have. I think Parsons was #1 but they could have made do if they lost out on him. I think they felt the same when they could have moved up for Barmore or Moehrig and stayed put.
So, why didn’t we stay put and select Parsons instead of risking someone else selecting him if they guy we intended picking was there? No guarantee he’s sitting there after the trade?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, why didn’t we stay put and select Parsons instead of risking someone else selecting him if they guy we intended picking was there? No guarantee he’s sitting there after the trade?
I don't think they were overly concerned with losing him to another team and saw a lot of interchangeable values for the D in this draft.

Was someone moving up for a LB? They knew who PHL wanted and gave him to them and they knew the Giants needed a WR too and the Bears were out there dialing for a deal to get Fields.

We don't know how many teams CHI talked to trying to move up once SF took Lance. But every GM in this draft knew the most antsy GM was in CHI. If they offered that same deal to the Cowboys that the Giants took, I am not surprised they passed on it, Booger is not a future draft picker, just the opposite.

I think everything started to fall into place and I think they believed CAR when the professed their love for Horn, they were pretty sure DEN would take Surtrain then.

One thing I have not seen personally but it was referenced here was that DAL tried to trade up to 6 but I have not heard that form either of the Joneses or what player that would have been for. I do think Parsons was at the top of the D board but Pitts and Sewell might have been above him on the overall board.

starfan1

Reaction score

You want reasoning with ole Booger? i don't have a clue anymore than the next guy but we were reasonably certain Philly wasn't taking him they wanted WR. The giants were there as the only other team that would take him barring a trade up and QB fields or jones was gonna be the only 2 for a trade up

there's really no downside to the trade of 2 spots IMO. especially if you get screwed and Parsons isn't there the consolation is Slater.(also linked to the cowboys). I also think there is some form of communication that goes on between organizations not total transparency but enough that i think teams have an idea what team is going to do.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You want reasoning with ole Booger? i don't have a clue anymore than the next guy but we were reasonably certain Philly wasn't taking him they wanted WR. The giants were there as the only other team that would take him barring a trade up and QB fields or jones was gonna be the only 2 for a trade up

there's really no downside to the trade of 2 spots IMO. especially if you get screwed and Parsons isn't there the consolation is Slater.(also liked to the cowboys). I also think there is some form of communication that goes on between organizations not total transparency but enough that i think teams have an idea what team is going to do.
I think there is a secret society of GM's behind the scenes on draft day and there's more going on than we have a clue about.

Look at those war rooms, they need all those people? What do those people do? Talk to other people like themselves on the other teams? The Cowboys didn't show theirs, made it look like they were having a business meeting with the family and McC. The minions were off camera, ears glued to phones.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think they were overly concerned with losing him to another team and saw a lot of interchangeable values for the D in this draft.

Was someone moving up for a LB? They knew who PHL wanted and gave him to them and they knew the Giants needed a WR too and the Bears were out there dialing for a deal to get Fields.

We don't know how many teams CHI talked to trying to move up once SF took Lance. But every GM in this draft knew the most antsy GM was in CHI. If they offered that same deal to the Cowboys that the Giants took, I am not surprised they passed on it, Booger is not a future draft picker, just the opposite.

I think everything started to fall into place and I think they believed CAR when the professed their love for Horn, they were pretty sure DEN would take Surtrain then.

One thing I have not seen personally but it was referenced here was that DAL tried to trade up to 6 but I have not heard that form either of the Joneses or what player that would have been for. I do think Parsons was at the top of the D board but Pitts and Sewell might have been above him on the overall board.
Did you see the reactions from Cowboys after those CB’s went right before our pick? That tells the story IMO. We wouldn’t have traded down otherwise.

In the end it worked out for us. But I’ll never buy it was our intention if either of those CB are sitting there. And it might have been a mistake. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Did you see the reactions from Cowboys after those CB’s went right before our pick? That tells the story IMO. We wouldn’t have traded down otherwise.

In the end it worked out for us. But I’ll never buy it was our intention if either of those CB are sitting there.

Kind of saw it the same way. I think Surtain and Horn were the 2 picks Cowboys were looking for but once they were selected Cowboys traded out of the pick which tells me they were not set on Parsons. Having said that I'm glad we got him and hope he can be the playmaker on defense that some feel he can be.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I know some had Parson as the top defensive prospect in the draft, for me I did not feel that way for the simple reason he opted out last season so all you could go by was his 2019 season. I have seen enough college football that guys can fall off from 1 season to the next, had he played the 2020 season and produced as he did in 2019 or even better than 2019 then I would be more in agreement that he was the best prospect.