Mick Shots: Deeper Dive into Dak's Playoff Record

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's obvious that Dak has had above average to great regular season stats ( just like Romo) but after 8 seasons we need to see him continue that in the playoffs

Now it's about salary cap burden as well. Is he worth taking up 25% salary cap in 2025? Can we afford to get him the help he needs and deserves?

Jerry's moves have made him unaffordable. But that's about the FO not Dakota

And for the record, I think that Rayne Dakota should get EVERY penny the market will bear......Kirk Cousins a 36 has done so, so why not Rayne?
I have stated several times that I don't think he should get anywhere near 60 million a year, but it's out if my hands, so I won't work myself up about his money or what the FO does. If he's gone, so be it.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So...you first have to go through all the positives....before criticizing?
Or how do you know someone hasn't done that in some other comment?

Just trying to get your take on how you demand others comment.
You don't know what you're talking about, get outta my face. You ha e become very tiresome and stalking is against the rules. Now scram

Last edited:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did not say after you see training camp, I asked today, what is so positive about the team?
Maybe it's the old coach in me, I look at every season as a positive. The off-season gives you a chance to improve as players and coaches. Going into a season harping on the negatives, makes quitting easy. Don't count the days, make the days count. That was said every off-season.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe it's the old coach in me, I look at every season as a positive. The off-season gives you a chance to improve as players and coaches. Going into a season harping on the negatives, makes quitting easy. Don't count the days, make the days count. That was said every off-season.
So you didn't work on or address any problem areas?

shabazz

Reaction score
I have stated several times that I don't think he should get anywhere near 60 million a year, but it's out if my hands, so I won't work myself up about his money or what the FO does. If he's gone, so be it.
If he stays here and the salary cap goes way up the 60 million can work ( at least Howie Roseman can make it work) but I want to see a new HC and a new QB AND more importantly a real GM that changes the culture here

And that's asking alot

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That is right. So Coach me up and tell me or the forum, what have the Cowboys done so far to get you excited as a Cowboy fan. I mean right now, coach me up because I can't see anything really positive to look forward too?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If he stays here and the salary cap goes way up the 60 million can work ( at least Howie Roseman can make it work) but I want to see a new HC and a new QB AND more importantly a real GM that changes the culture here

And that's asking alot
You would have a better chance building a bridge to Hawaii.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Now then, being curious, wonder what other NFL QB records are when having to overcome 30-plus points in a playoff game?
Glad you asked. Here are a few choice ones:
  • Joe Montana: 0-3.
  • Brett Favre: 0-7.
  • Drew Brees: 0-3.
  • Ben Roethlisberger: 0-7.
  • Aaron Rodgers: 1-5, his one beating Dak, 34-31.
  • John Elway: 1-5.
  • Tom Brady: 2-5, his fifth the 31-14 loss to Dak in the 2022 season.
  • Peyton Manning: 2-4.
  • And just for grins, Troy Aikman 0-1, Roger Staubach 0-3

Damn. Interesting….all time greats up there. Never seen anyone take this angle.
Defense wins championships, even in today’s NFL.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
OK, I need you to be consistent in your measure: On the one hand, it's a team game and we can't assign blame to any player and so salary is independent of performance. To substantiate your claim you picked *drumroll* an outlier contract like Trevor Lawrence that gets a ton of attention because it IS UNUSUAL to reward someone who has the ball in his hands that much and fails as much as Lawrence has. The # of touches of the ball is LITERALLY the difference between getting paid and not getting paid big money: tips, interceptions, fumbles recovered, catches, deflections....all incentives in contracts that are the difference between good and great money. Even just tackling the person with the ball is good enough. The point is those are metrics that the NFL directly coorelates to winning. It's why they keep the stats and use them in contracts and awards. Your attempt to separate the two - Trevor Lawrence lol - smells of Dak-fandom masquerading as analysis.

Of course, we can play the same game of parsing out the QB's share of the blame on the opposing side...and I would ...if I gave 2 you-know-what's about that team. I care about Dak's compensation so I'm looking at - again - his touches, his collapses, his culpability and his pay...because in the salary cap era the norm is pay for performance. The anomaly is to pay for potential.
Oh, Trevor Lawrence is not cherry picking...it's the norm. Matt Stafford highest paid qb in 2017 (while in detroit). Kirk cousins highest paid QB with only 1 starting season with the Washington team....I could go on and on. As doe incentive deals, they are not as common (especially for QBs) and mostly reserved for great players who are aging/in decline/ coming off injury. Otherwise the incentives are sweeteners not the major component of a contract (and in some cases used to manipulate the cap impact).

Regarding comparing QBs, yeah, you can say I only care about what my QB does, but you can't say he is trash if his performance is within the norms and the only way to do that is by comparison. And if you want to be really blunt. Only 34 QBs in the history of the NFL have won the SB....there have been 1055 starting QBs in that same time frame...simple math is that you have a 3% chance of having a SB winning QB. Luck (i.e, everything falling place at the right time) plays nearly as big a role as talent...ask Dan Marino or John Kelly, or Jim Plunkett, etc.

As I said before, I don't have a dog in this fight. If Dak is resigned I will root for him 100%. If it's another QB I will do the same, however, I am no longer a diehard fan...I realize this is purely entertainment and a business before anything else so I enjoy it for what it is.

irishline

Reaction score
Now then, being curious, wonder what other NFL QB records are when having to overcome 30-plus points in a playoff game?
Glad you asked. Here are a few choice ones:
  • Joe Montana: 0-3.
  • Brett Favre: 0-7.
  • Drew Brees: 0-3.
  • Ben Roethlisberger: 0-7.
  • Aaron Rodgers: 1-5, his one beating Dak, 34-31.
  • John Elway: 1-5.
  • Tom Brady: 2-5, his fifth the 31-14 loss to Dak in the 2022 season.
  • Peyton Manning: 2-4.
  • And just for grins, Troy Aikman 0-1, Roger Staubach 0-3

Damn. Interesting….all time greats up there. Never seen anyone take this angle.
When the defense doesn't give up 30 or more points

• Joe Montana: 16-4 .800
  • Brett Favre:13-4 .764
  • Drew Brees: 9-4 .693
  • Ben Roethlisberger: 13-3 .813
  • Aaron Rodgers: 10-5 .667
  • John Elway: 13-2 .867
  • Tom Brady: 33-8 .805
  • Peyton Manning: 12-8 .600
  • And just for grins, Troy Aikman 11-3, Roger Staubach 11-3 .786 each
Dak 2-2

So honestly it doesn't get much better compared to them anyway when the defense doesn't give up that many.

Only one on that list anywhere close to .500 is Peyton Manning, so lets not act like he is anywhere near them. Any of them.