1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Mike McCarthy's Analytics Fraud

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Toruk_Makto, Jan 11, 2020.

1. rxdoc

rxdoc Well-Known Member

369 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    ^^^ this 1000x

thank you... was going to post something similar but you said it so much better that I could.

simply put analytics is a tool to aid in decision making. You can’t go to either extreme when using them. It’s refreshing to know that MM understands there is a place for them and is willing to use them as necessary compared to JG who wanted absolutely nothing to do with them.

I seriously cannot believe we are arguing over this before MM has even coached his first game for the Cowboys...

I suggest tabling this topic and revisit this discussion at the end of next season when we have actual game data to discuss. Anything at this point is pure speculation.....

2. RoboQB

RoboQB Well-Known Member

4,625 Messages
    5,638 Likes Received
    Can we at least watch him run a practice before calling him a fraud?

By the way, thanks for the cheerleaders.

Luther and DeathMonkey like this.
  3. aria

aria Well-Known Member

12,716 Messages
    12,213 Likes Received
    As a reminder there were several people who scoffed at his name and said “no thanks” while still on the Lincoln Riley and Urban Meyer hype train. Just like certain players from other teams that a lot of fans used to bash, as soon as they become a Cowboy they are “awesome” or start getting tons of praise heaped upon them. Some of us don’t change our thoughts on a coach or player just because they become a Cowboy whereas many do.

Personally, I was never over impressed with McCarthy and think most of his success was due to BF and AR. I’m curious to see how much he has actually changed over the past year, and while I hope I’m wrong, I will remain skeptical until proven otherwise.

TheDude likes this.
  4. PhillyCowboysFan

PhillyCowboysFan Well-Known Member

2,958 Messages
    3,217 Likes Received
    Yes that whole going off on a tangent from a snippet is just asinine.

rxdoc likes this.
  5. RoboQB

RoboQB Well-Known Member

4,625 Messages
    5,638 Likes Received
    Outstanding!

That deserves a scotchy, scotch, scotch... lol

CowboyStar88 and rxdoc like this.
  6. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

17,470 Messages
    7,713 Likes Received
    Prove that.

Seriously.......that's a bold prediction.

7. PhillyCowboysFan

PhillyCowboysFan Well-Known Member

2,958 Messages
    3,217 Likes Received

No it doesn’t because it’s impossible to do! Along with team quality and play execution. Analytics is a freaking tool to use along with a heck of a lot of other factors as in game momentum, quality of the players your going against, a lessor positional player in the game, weather and so on and so on.

rxdoc likes this.
  8. garyo1954

garyo1954 Well-Known Member

1,917 Messages
    2,093 Likes Received
    Peter King documented how McCarthy would spend his days studying all things football in a renovated barn......

According to King, McCarthy would often work with three other coaches, including former New Orleans Saints head coach Jim Haslett.

McCarthy and his staff would study everything, from reviewing "every offensive snap of the top 10 offenses last year," to dissecting formations and play calls, to reviewing quarterback footage.

McCarthy also designed what his football operations staff would look like, with a "14-person Football Technology Department, including a six-person video unit and an eight-person analytics team."

https://clutchpoints.com/cowboys-ne...zimmer-not-interested-in-pursuing-dallas-job/

If its a fraud, its the biggest hoax since.....since.....since charging your iPod with an onion hit the internet! More expensive too!

Luther likes this.
  9. bb721

bb721 Well-Known Member

874 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    Hey guys, he makes sure to point out that he’s an engineer and now works for a big bank. Let’s make sure that we all bow down to his supreme wisdom. After all, it’s almost impossible to be a good football coach with those two qualifications.

10. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

13,989 Messages
    17,129 Likes Received
    I get that you want to cling to conventional wisdom. It's comfortable.

11. RoboQB

RoboQB Well-Known Member

4,625 Messages
    5,638 Likes Received
    When you start a thread and it gets to 10 pages, yet nobody likes you.

Analyze that.

As mentioned by @DOUBLE WING, you took a snippet and went off the rails with it.
    Others pointed out articles stating he would have a 14-man team for analytics.

Since you've responded to me, I'm curious. What is your engineering background?
    Structural?

12. 88sAndHeartbreak

88sAndHeartbreak Well-Known Member

333 Messages
    751 Likes Received
    This thread makes my head hurt... claiming dude is fraud just off one quote. At least wait until mid-season like most Cowboy "fans"

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    rxdoc and garyo1954 like this.
  13. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

16,899 Messages
    17,566 Likes Received
    I think @Rayman70 was just being overly dramatic towards the peeps that are never happy. I agree with him though some of these peeps man... o_O

Rayman70 and Runwildboys like this.
  14. Runwildboys

Runwildboys Well-Known Member

24,762 Messages
    47,320 Likes Received
    Let's not generalize with the "nobody likes you" stuff. I don't even know the guy. If there's one way to make sure someone is defensive, it's saying something like that.

CowboyStar88 and garyo1954 like this.
  15. garyo1954

1,917 Messages
    2,093 Likes Received
    This thread makes my head hurt too. I keep reading the first post expecting to see something I missed, but there is nothing there.

It appears to me the OP has Big Mc's terminology of action pass confused with play action pass. The two are not the same in this system.

16. Runwildboys

Runwildboys Well-Known Member

24,762 Messages
    47,320 Likes Received
    Okay, I have to say, I've never heard the term "action pass". What exactly is that?

17. garyo1954

1,917 Messages
    2,093 Likes Received
    Here's how Bill Walsh defined it. (It's a rollout, sprint-out or "waggle.")

Action Pass

The third category of pass that most people use is what we call the action pass, where your quarterback moves outside. There are a couple of reasons for moving outside. One certainly is to avoid the inside pass rush. For a dropback passing team we'll sprint-out "waggle" as we call it-outside to avoid blitzers who approach straight up the field on us. The other advantage is to bring yourself closer to the potential receiver.

We'll get outside to throw the ball and get ourselves closer to the man we want to throw to. When you can get outside, the trajectory of the ball can be flatter because normally there isn't a man between you and the receiver.

The versatility also includes changing your formations. We continuously change receiver width and spacing. We seldom will line up our receiver with the same spacing on two or three plays in a row. If we want to throw the ball to the outside, we will reduce the split of the receiver. We need running room to the outside. We don't want the ball in the air very long. If we want to throw inside, we will extend the split of our receivers, so that there is more maneuvering room to the inside, and spread the defense. Our backs, as many teams know will cheat to get where they have to be. We know that if we throw to backs, the first thing on their mind is how to release out of the backfield. We are quite willing to move the man to get the release and sometimes telegraph what we are doing. We are quite willing to do that with the idea that when we want to break a given tendency, we simply line them up there and run something else."

Iago33, rxdoc and Runwildboys like this.
  18. basilhayden

basilhayden Well-Known Member

1,216 Messages
    574 Likes Received
    You can't legitimately assess that when Jerry Jones is in charge.
    You just can't ...

19. garyo1954

1,917 Messages
    2,093 Likes Received
    Here's his description/definition of play action......in short, it will be a play fake to the back, or some type misdirection to freeze the defense.

Play-Action Passes

You can't just dropback pass. You have to be able to keep the defense from zeroing in on your approach. That's why the play pass is vital. By and large, the play-action pass will score the touchdown. The dropback pass will control the ball.

For play-action passing, we have certain blocking fundamentals that we use. We will show different backfield actions with basically the same offensive line blocking. We will go to the play pass as often as we can, especially as we get to the opponent's 25-yard line.

Runwildboys likes this.
  20. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

16,899 Messages
    17,566 Likes Received
    :muttley: The irony lol