MLB Offseason thread

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Who has said he deserved the MVP? No angel fan i know.

Kinda pointless.

What we have said is that he would’ve won it if he didn’t get hurt. He was off to his best start of his career.
Don't be so touchy, Trouty......I am just pushing your buttons, cause I know it stings and you Angels fans deserve it, for rooting for that POS scumbag Pujols.

GO CHAMPSTROS

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Don't be so touchy, Trouty......I am just pushing your buttons, cause I know it stings and you Angels fans deserve it, for rooting for that POS scumbag Pujols.

GO CHAMPSTROS
We despise Pujols cuz of the contract and the fact that Trout would have even better numbers (crazy, right?) if grandpa wasn’t hitting behind him. We hated the signing when it happened, knew it was gonna bite us in the arse.

But thanks for pushing my button, it worked :)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Shohei Otani.....

42-15, 2.52 ERA, 1.076 WHIP, 100+ MPH Fast Ball.

In two seasons, he's hit .326 with 30 HRs (613 plate appearences).

He's 23 years old.

This guy could be a real steal for whomever signs him. Not only because he can hit and pitch but because he will have to be on a Rookie contract when he comes into the MLB.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Shohei Otani.....

42-15, 2.52 ERA, 1.076 WHIP, 100+ MPH Fast Ball.

In two seasons, he's hit .326 with 30 HRs (613 plate appearences).

He's 23 years old.

This guy could be a real steal for whomever signs him. Not only because he can hit and pitch but because he will have to be on a Rookie contract when he comes into the MLB.

Come to Houston

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Early reports are that the Yankees are in the lead for his services. Of course, you always hear that before they go elsewhere so who really knows?
Figured it would be Yankees, dodgers, mets, or red sox

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Figured it would be Yankees, dodgers, mets, or red sox

Yeah. Because he can only sign a Rookie Contract, and whatever is left in each teams Bonus Pool (Yankees and Rangers have the most cash left), he will likely be considering a large market team to try and maximize his ability to leverage endorsements. Obviously the guy is probably interested in trying to join a team that has a chance to win and perhaps a team that has enough money to either resign him to a mega follow on contract, or at the very least, be in play to drive up the market for a team that he may be interested in.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Aaron Judge apparently had Shoulder Surgery recently. I had no idea he was even scheduled for Surgery. Interesting.....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
According to Rumors, Alex Cobb is deciding between Cubs and Yankees.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looks like the Rangers are signing Doug Fister... Which is the equivalent of buying gasoline to put out a fire.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Has Red been interviewed to manage the Yankees yet. I think everyone else is on the list. He may as well get teh shot too.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yeah. Because he can only sign a Rookie Contract, and whatever is left in each teams Bonus Pool (Yankees and Rangers have the most cash left), he will likely be considering a large market team to try and maximize his ability to leverage endorsements. Obviously the guy is probably interested in trying to join a team that has a chance to win and perhaps a team that has enough money to either resign him to a mega follow on contract, or at the very least, be in play to drive up the market for a team that he may be interested in.
Yankees are out and so is everyone not on the West Coast

He is a weird dude that doesn't want the money or limelight

SEA, SD, SF in the finals

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Add in LA, TEX, Cubs

Texas has been scouting him for the last 6 years heavily. Don't count them out.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

Add Angels. It was just announced we're one of the seven finalists. We just received 1.25 million in overseas cash from the Braves. Eppler is all-in

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Add in LA, TEX, Cubs

Texas has been scouting him for the last 6 years heavily. Don't count them out.
He wanted to play with Darvish. And they are far from the West Coast. I have SEA, SF, SD, and the Angels as the most likely spots. All four are included in the seven "finalists"

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He wanted to play with Darvish. And they are far from the West Coast. I have SEA, SF, SD, and the Angels as the most likely spots. All four are included in the seven "finalists"

I agree that Seattle is probably in the lead right now.

If I were to rank them it would be:

1. SEA
2. TEX (They have been taking trips to Japan for years watching him - long history with this player and team - along w/ Darvish and Tex connections)
3. SD (AJ was instrumental in getting Darvish to Tex)
4. LAA - I just don't see what they have to offer besides location.
5. LA - if they added Otani and Stanton - WOW
6. SF
7. CHI - strange they made to final list, but young talented team could interest him?

In regards to Darvish - there are rumors that he does not want to play with another Japanese player, and would prefer to make a name for himself?? Not sure if true or not.

As a Ranger fan - I love we made the final cut - I HATE that both Seattle and Angels have made it :)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I agree that Seattle is probably in the lead right now.

If I were to rank them it would be:

1. SEA
2. TEX (They have been taking trips to Japan for years watching him - long history with this player and team - along w/ Darvish and Tex connections)
3. SD (AJ was instrumental in getting Darvish to Tex)
4. LAA - I just don't see what they have to offer besides location.
5. LA - if they added Otani and Stanton - WOW
6. SF
7. CHI - strange they made to final list, but young talented team could interest him?

In regards to Darvish - there are rumors that he does not want to play with another Japanese player, and would prefer to make a name for himself?? Not sure if true or not.

As a Ranger fan - I love we made the final cut - I HATE that both Seattle and Angels have made it :)
The rumors about him not wanting to play with another Japanese star or a team that has had one in the past (i.e. the rumors about him not wanting to play where an Ichiro-type has played, for example), are false. As are the rumors of him wanting to be the only super star on the team. All false rumors, but they had a lot of publicity for a while.

LAA not only offer him great location, Pacific coast (closer to his home), but a diverse Japanese community, beaches, small market (which he has said appeals to him) but with a propensity to spend. We also can offer him a chance to be on the same team as Michael Nelson Trout. Something no other team in the league can offer. And next year, when we sign Machado, to go along with Upton, Andrelton, Calhoun, and a young staff, I think we have a shot. And we also have the DH. He won't get much time as a batter playing in the NL. I think the NL is out (minus, maybe SF). I think TEX is out.

In order, I have it as: SEA, SF, LAA

I do agree that SEA is probably his number one destination, but Eppler (our GM), scouted him when he was with the Yanks. Eppler has said we are all in.

It'll be interesting, Numnuts

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The rumors about him not wanting to play with another Japanese star or a team that has had one in the past (i.e. the rumors about him not wanting to play where an Ichiro-type has played, for example), are false. As are the rumors of him wanting to be the only super star on the team. All false rumors, but they had a lot of publicity for a while.

LAA not only offer him great location, Pacific coast (closer to his home), but a diverse Japanese community, beaches, small market (which he has said appeals to him) but with a propensity to spend. We also can offer him a chance to be on the same team as Michael Nelson Trout. Something no other team in the league can offer. And next year, when we sign Machado, to go along with Upton, Andrelton, Calhoun, and a young staff, I think we have a shot. And we also have the DH. He won't get much time as a batter playing in the NL. I think the NL is out (minus, maybe SF). I think TEX is out.

In order, I have it as: SEA, SF, LAA

I do agree that SEA is probably his number one destination, but Eppler (our GM), scouted him when he was with the Yanks. Eppler has said we are all in.

It'll be interesting, Numnuts

Well, if the rumors are not true, then that's even better for Texas- they would likley pitch a Darvish/Otani package to him. Darvish still lives in the Metroplex and his current wife/kids supposedly love it there. I could see him coming back to Texas this offseason. That would give you a solid staff of Darvish/Otani/Hamels/Perez/Fister. They could offer him the DH as well.

In regards to LAA - location = culture/Japanese community, so that is what I meant for what they have to offer. Playing with Trout would be awesome, but that's about all I see as a positive on that team. You have $110 million tied up in those 4 position players + your boy Pujols :) The staff isn't what I would consider young - A couple mid twenties #3 types. Richards is a FA next year and is gonnn wanna get paid, so there is another $20 million.

It was just this year, people were saying they should trade Trout now and get to rebuilding. Had a nice run this year, but I wouldn't expect it next couple years. The minors were depleted and just now showing some recovery.