MLB Regular Season

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Small ball isn't dead. Reverse the shift!!!! Hitters will always pull unless you're an Altuve or Trout.

I do want to see Albert lay a slap bunt oppo the shift, but he'd still get thrown out. Slowest runner in baseball -- he hit a ball over the BAL LFers head yesterday, against the wall, for a single. Left field. Ugh. /tangent

I meant hitters keep pulling when the shift is on and the results are terrible. The small ball part of beating that shift is dead. Hit oppo every so often then teams will think twice about putting the shift on.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They try and can’t. The shift has won. Across all of MLB, not just our two middling teams

Bah, a MLB player can learn how after one day in the cage(if they really want to). Bunting is a lost art for sure :(

My forte was going the opposite way(and bunting) regularly mainly because I lacked power to the gaps :lmao:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Bah, a MLB player can learn how after one day in the cage(if they really want to). Bunting is a lost art for sure :(

My forte was going the opposite way(and bunting) regularly mainly because I lacked power to the gaps :lmao:
It just doesn't happen with any regularity, Dex. If it did, there would be no shift. Players and coaches are constantly trying to beat it. They cant. Again, the shift has won. And it will most likely take MLB interference to stop it. Lots of talk around the league about this very subject, too, hence why I brought it up :)

If we are only so fortunate, this is the one rule they implement.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It just doesn't happen with any regularity, Dex. If it did, there would be no shift. Players and coaches are constantly trying to beat it. They cant. Again, the shift has won. And it will most likely take MLB interference to stop it. Lots of talk around the league about this very subject, too, hence why I brought it up :)

If we are only so fortunate, this is the one rule they implement.

Yea, I know the shift has won. My point being is that it is easy to counter if coaches, starting in HS, taught bunting and how to hit the other way. It is not difficult at all, just takes practice. Guys now days go for the flashy stats instead of going from station to station.....in general.

I remember a game I was in(UT vs Baylor) where I missed a sign on a hit n run. I took strike three and runner was thrown out, double play. I was immediately benched for a week and needless to say, never missed another sign. We practiced small ball over and over and the guys going for homers all the time were punished, usually extra exercise or laps.

Just a different game these days, especially on offense.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s a great story, and thanks for sharing, Dex. Seriously my brother.

Still, my point stands. There is no way to beat the shift. Sosh won a World Series playing hit and run. It’s dead.

I laid out the plan on how to beat it, it needs to be taught at early levels but it won't be. Give me a month with the Mets, the runs would go up a little :D

Maybe I should become a coach in the NCAA, is 47 too old to start? :laugh:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I can’t stop posting in the basketball threads! Someone cut off my fingers! Take my computer.

It’s so hard not to go in there and just post freely.

Wait, what thread is this??

Go Cow—

Wait.

Go Kin—

Wait.

Baseball! Baseball!

Go Mike Trouts of Anaheim! #thisyeardoesn’tcount

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Meanwhile there was @Tabascocat sighting at Citi Field:lmao2:
WRT1.gif

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah the Mets and Angels are having underwhelming seasons...

But in my view Washington is the biggest disappointment so far. To be at this point of the season and still be under .500 given the amount of talent this team has? Wow!

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Hey! If he can still swing the bat without doing more harm, the Angels have a shot at catching the Astros. There's a long way to go, Brother.
I appreciate the sentiments, my friend. But the Angels aren't catching your beast team, or even SEA. i'll enjoy the season, but wont be under any delusions that we have a shot. Fangraphs has us at around 1% to make the post season.

Also, Shohei should not be playing anymore this season. I don't like it.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Yup. The BP/6-man rotation/specialty inning pitchers are the new wave of pitching deployment. We've been doing it since 2014 in Anaheim, but not because we are good or can, but out of necessity. Still, because I watch a lot of Angels' games, you could see a trend develop when our extended rotation/by-commitee worked, as it has it's benefits. Batters have never had it so difficult post-5/6th innings. In the postseason, give me the better, dominant BP over lineup and starters 10/10 times, now (assuming a competent -- but not dominant -- other two aspects of the roster)
I appreciate the sentiments, my friend. But the Angels aren't catching your beast team, or even SEA. i'll enjoy the season, but wont be under any delusions that we have a shot. Fangraphs has us at around 1% to make the post season.

Also, Shohei should not be playing anymore this season. I don't like it.

I agree with sitting Shohei. He's part of the future for the Angels. I was hoping the Stros would land him. :angry:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
82Vp.gif
Woo Hoo, Phillies routed those Pirates 17-5. The game game lasted 4hrs & 30 minutes. That tied the MLB record for the longest game ever played. If that only could of lasted one more minute lol.

By the way @RGV_C_Los . It's mid season and guess who STILL has the best record at home?!:p

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Streaming right now on redditt

Stanton just struck out with Bases loaded
Night, do you use Reddit for the football season or just go buy/get Sunday Ticket? Reddit is really good for hockey and baseball, but seemed unreliable in the past for football.

@Mr_V had a gnarly link that was perfect, worked perfect for preseason games, too.

Still, I've felt forced into ST because of football's unreliable streaming sites (Reddit included)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Night, do you use Reddit for the football season or just go buy/get Sunday Ticket? Reddit is really good for hockey and baseball, but seemed unreliable in the past for football.

@Mr_V had a gnarly link that was perfect, worked perfect for preseason games, too.

Still, I've felt forced into ST because of football's unreliable streaming sites (Reddit included)
I have only used redditt for MLB and its been great

During football I get enough DAL over the air or go to the bar but redditt was adequate the couple times I used it