NFLPA Files Temporary Restraining Order! **merged**

TheHerd

Reaction score
That appeal hearing sure does sound like a bloodbath for the NFL doesn't it?

This whole thing is a little unbelievable actually. It's science fiction how unscrupulous the NFL investigation was. My two biggest questions, since I torally understand this was a 100% PR move about a tough stance on DV:

1. Did they really think no one would dig into these things enough to discover the insanity here?

2. Did they really think the anti-Cowboys bias is strong enough to override all these obvious nefarious activities?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
This whole thing is a little unbelievable actually. It's science fiction how unscrupulous the NFL investigation was. My two biggest questions, since I torally understand this was a 100% PR move about a tough stance on DV:

1. Did they really think no one would dig into these things enough to discover the insanity here?

2. Did they really think the anti-Cowboys bias is strong enough to override all these obvious nefarious activities?
You think maybe they've done it before and got away with it?

khiladi

Reaction score
I think it's pretty evident now the NFL engages in conspiracy... The problem this time is Zeke is not Greg Hardy and is Jerry's pet pick and probably the best RB in the NFL and some guys in the league office were so blinded in their arrogance that they thought they could get away with screwing over Zeke, while Jerry wouldn't do anything.

This investigation was so ridiculous, there is no logic other than they didn't think it would blow up the way it did.. and now they are in major trouble.

Their only hope is the NFL appeases Jerry somehow..

Cowboys22

Reaction score

I simply think the Brady case told them in their minds they can do whatever they want whenever they want. Sadly, they may be right. If Henderson doesn't tell them they can't, then it will be up to a court and none of us know how that will end.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Yeah you're going to have the Ed Werders and Adam Schefters and Peter Kings of the world pointing out how hard it is to prove a conspiracy and they will have quotes from lawyers to back them up. But there is overwhelming evidence that the league picked and choosed what to use and what not to use. They picked and choosed who to interview to fulfill their agenda.

I've repeatedly said it's extremely difficult to prove defamation for a celebrity- and it is - but there is way too much here to let this go. This really could end up with Goodell resigning. And it probably should. I think the league is in real trouble here and it should be.

At the very least it should change the way the league investigates in the future. Hopefully it results in the league realizing what it should have all along - let the proper authorities do the investigation and then react accordingly.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I simply think the Brady case told them in their minds they can do whatever they want whenever they want. Sadly, they may be right. If Henderson doesn't tell them they can't, then it will be up to a court and none of us know how that will end.
It will end the way Brady's case ended. The league used the power given to them by the cba. The league isn't trying to put Elliott in prison they are setting him down with the power they have. This is not winnable even though everybody knows that Elliott did nothing worthy of legal prosecution. Thats not what we are arguing. Its the leagues rights vrs the players rights.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Yeah you're going to have the Ed Werders and Adam Schefters and Peter Kings of the world pointing out how hard it is to prove a conspiracy and they will have quotes from lawyers to back them up. But there is overwhelming evidence that the league picked and choosed what to use and what not to use. They picked and choosed who to interview to fulfill their agenda.

I've repeatedly said it's extremely difficult to prove defamation for a celebrity- and it is - but there is way too much here to let this go. This really could end up with Goodell resigning. And it probably should. I think the league is in real trouble here and it should be.

At the very least it should change the way the league investigates in the future. Hopefully it results in the league realizing what it should have all along - let the proper authorities do the investigation and then react accordingly.

This is the lines along which I'm thinking. A suspension court case may even be"won" by the NFL, but at this point that is the least of the legal problems the NFL could be facing.

Just when I think nothing worse for the league can possibly come out, an even more outlandish piece of evidence is released. Trying to defend the NFL actions at this point sound like a 6 year old explaining why they're not at fault for stealing the Snickers bar from the store.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

I think it's a case of where they try to play the PR card. With Greg Hardy they gave a 10-game suspension knowing that it wouldn't stick. The NFLPA appealed it and it got turned into a 4-game suspension. That way Goodell could say 'SEE, *I* tried to give Hardy a big suspension, but that evil player's union got it turned into a 4-game suspension. I care about domestic violence, the player's union does not!'

I think Goodell thought the same thing would happen here with EE and he got some in the media to bite like man hating writers like Christine Brennan.

And it's clearly apparent to me that our society didn't learn a thing from the Duke lacrosse player's case.

Combine that with the concerns of CTE in football and you have children getting the okay from the mother to play football, it was an attempt to appease the mothers.

I think in the end, this won't directly affect Goodell's situation and somehow Friel and others like Peter Harvey will weasel their way out of it so no real harm is done to them.

But in the long run, it may greatly hurt the NFL because not only did the NFL handle this terribly, but they attacked the NFLPA over something they had no involvement with (the leaking of texts from TT discussing extorting EE). For the players union, if they hire somebody like Cyrus Mehri they are now not going to give Goodell any consideration. They won't buy into his pitch for revenue sharing, player discipline, etc. That will likely cause a player strike and I think in the end, the player's will get their way and it will be a long time before they ever budge again...even if Goodell isn't the commissioner. That means a lot of money lost by the ownership.

YR

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
It will end the way Brady's case ended. The league used the power given to them by the cba. The league isn't trying to put Elliott in prison they are setting him down with the power they have. This is not winnable even though everybody knows that Elliott did nothing worthy of legal prosecution. Thats not what we are arguing. Its the leagues rights vrs the players rights.
I agree with you but at some point there has to be an expectation of due process and fairness. Private entities get a lot of leeway to do their own thing, especially when a CBA is involved. But at the end of the day there are basic fundamental rights people don't give up just because there is a set process in place. When management oversteps too much, there is legal recourse.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

You may be right but I'm no longer 100% convinced on that belief. There is a lot here that a court could take exception to.

windjc

Reaction score
Yeah I disagree for several reasons. This is not the Brady case. Let's not assume something so simplistic.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I think it's a case of where they try to play the PR card. With Greg Hardy they gave a 10-game suspension knowing that it wouldn't stick. The NFLPA appealed it and it got turned into a 4-game suspension. That way Goodell could say 'SEE, *I* tried to give Hardy a big suspension, but that evil player's union got it turned into a 4-game suspension. I care about domestic violence, the player's union does not!'

I think Goodell thought the same thing would happen here with EE and he got some in the media to bite like man hating writers like Christine Brennan.

And it's clearly apparent to me that our society didn't learn a thing from the Duke lacrosse player's case.

Combine that with the concerns of CTE in football and you have children getting the okay from the mother to play football, it was an attempt to appease the mothers.

I think in the end, this won't directly affect Goodell's situation and somehow Friel and others like Peter Harvey will weasel their way out of it so no real harm is done to them.

But in the long run, it may greatly hurt the NFL because not only did the NFL handle this terribly, but they attacked the NFLPA over something they had no involvement with (the leaking of texts from TT discussing extorting EE). For the players union, if they hire somebody like Cyrus Mehri they are now not going to give Goodell any consideration. They won't buy into his pitch for revenue sharing, player discipline, etc. That will likely cause a player strike and I think in the end, the player's will get their way and it will be a long time before they ever budge again...even if Goodell isn't the commissioner. That means a lot of money lost by the ownership.

YR

One almost assured outcome of this will be a strike. The other owners HAVE to see that; maybe they don't care since they have such deep pockets and what they perceive as an impenetrable cash cow.

The only chance for no strike is if the NFLPA keeps insisting on using amatuers to negotiate the league pros.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

This is ridiculous. She obviously didn't want to be questioned by a real attorney because she rubber stamped a bunch of BS she can't rally defend. It also shows Kessler ain't playing around. They sent a PI to go look for a witness the NFL said was unavailable and found her hiding out in her home instead of the hospital where the NFL said she was. What more proof do you need? A doctor for the NFL hiding out to escape questioning!

haleyrules

Reaction score
Even if Elliott can't win in court he much proceed because it will expose the NFL even more to what they really are. Sometimes you have to take small steps for the better good.
It should be resolved in the next cba. Providing the NFLPA can get out of bed with the owners and not just settle for more money. The NFLPA is a business and really don't give a hoot about a handful of troublesone players. This is about money and where the real power resides.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
If the players were more unified, they have leverage. They could, for instance, contract blue flu on opening day. I fear they lack the will, though. It's important these facts are widely dissiminated and the players understand it could happen to any one of them.