Status
Not open for further replies.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sportsbabe said:
That's not my thing. I have no desire to speak about a person's character or intellect. Never have never will. I want to know about their physical attributes and if they can get the team up and down the field into the end zone. Also, how good they look it a pair of football pants. Other than that, I have kno interest in character assassination :D

I personally have no problem looking into that type of thing...especially today as it seems that QB who is smart , yet may not have the great tools of some others, is the one that may help a team win a superbowl...especially in a ball control offense.

jay cee

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Troy Aikman was a fairly gifted NFL Passer. I think he benefited alot from the Personell around him. He was QB that could make plays but I never felt he was the type of QB that could carry a team on his back.

I think Troy Aikman will get the Hall of Fame nod because of his performances in the Playoffs and his 3 Super Bowl Rings. If you compare Aikman's numbers to other Hall of Fame QB, especially the ones of his error (Favre, Young, etc etc), his numbers are not that great. I am not sure if Aikman is even in the Top 2 QBs in Cowboys history.

Aikman is FAR Greater than Carter, and it is pointless to argue that, but he wasn't the type of QB that could carry an entire team.

Of any of the big Weapons Dallas had, I feel Emmitt Smith was the most important.

- Mike G.

I have made similar points several times. And each time,, many of these guys reacted as if I said that Aikman was a bum.

BHendri5

Reaction score
billknows said:
Babe what a joke you really are,, are you really a fan

Heres how it is really going down and smart fans know this,unlike you!

First off carter will start the season no matter what, Vinnie and our future henson will not out preform him or really be given the chance to that extent,it's a coach confidence thing,he's earned the start of the season,and there will not be enough justification to put the 40 yr. old or the rookie in period!!!!!!!

Carter starts, now guess what, our schedule looks to be a 5-1 start. Carter will have plenty of confidence and our line/ running game will have a chance to gell and be much better than at the start of the season. Carter will also have a chance to get in sync with Key, that could also help his status.

These points that i've stated alone give give Carter the power to be the Dallas Cowboys Quarterback throughout the season. now add the fact that carter has worked hard and should natually progress to be more improved through coaching / job maturity he should have a fewer number of mistakes than last year, whether that is enough to get fans to rally behind him,my guess is a still luke warm feeling that is greatly helped by a winning record.

WOW!! you know what I totally forgot about our DEFENSE. A defense that is # 1 in the NFL that has upgraded by FA and experience ( with the slight chance of downplay at corner,I think at least same or better play( f23k Irving) than PI Edwards) . A defense that is Carters best friend, as allways,no exception this year. Eleven more men to help strengthen his position as starting QB.

We will win 10-11 games with the Q bank it baby... His percieved weaknesses will show themselves throughout the season ,and may actually cost him a benching this season,but I sort of dought it,mainly because Parcells dosent know if Carter can bounce back from a deserved benching.

Has Bill and JJ boxed themselves in a position to be forced to ride a QB that has 2 winning records in a row, and the answer is NO WAY Baby................That was` what our draft move was all about. We will have two first rounders and a second to strengthen our team weaknesses this year,and allow Bill to make a bold choice to move up Henson . Parcells will put the man that gives the Cowboys the best potential skills/ future the job next year and Carter will have to have a really exceptional year to stay the starter next year. i am assuming Henson has the skill to take the chance on,I think he probably does,and can excell next yr, ....Remember he has 11 good men in his corner too,and 2 first rounders!!!

That's whats really going on........................

bill knows

Now that was a JOKE!! LOL

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
That's a nice string of flops, BP. But with black QBs, the criticism comes before the guy has a chance to show what he can do and continues long after he has or hasn't flopped. Some of it is fueled by the feeling a "running" QB is not cerebrally equipped to excel at passing. When an athlete can both run and pass, and is also white, a la Tarkenton, or Elway, it is an asset. Cunningham, a fine QB, was something else entirely. Vick, with all his exceptional ability, is being rated as a passer far below what his actual performance indicates. Some of this does not show itself in stats, but by WATCHING the amazing plays, and the speed with which he gets the ball out. He is far more accurate than his detractors enjoy claiming. But somehow this unusual ability is viewed as a form of "subtractive" athleticism.

I was mostly playing devils advocate but at the same time we should stop and think...well others should stop and think....that if a player has the great tools yet can not get it done on the field (at QB)...then most will be labled a flop and just not have a head for the game.

One other thing can be considered...I really don't hear many (of course you will always have some) people question McNabbs and Vicks intelligence...Normally they question their accuracy.
Not too many people Dante Culpeppers intelligence...they question if he can hold onto the ball or not.

If there were two black QBs of late that do get questions (fair or not) of intelligence...I think it would be QC and Kordell Stewart.

I have also noticed something else the last couple of years....

Kyle Boller was pumped up not just because of his arm strength...but also because of his "mobility"....while Byron Leftwich had one main knock on him...the percieved lack of mobility.....in many ways this thought process kind of flew the opposite of those preconcieved notions that black QBs are just mobile athletic QBs while the white guys are just pocket passers.

I think some of those notions of steretypes are breakind down...however sad to say I am sure some will always have those things in their minds.

Likewise, I never saw Hutch's "lack of pocket presence" attributed to anything other than a physically based learning curve. Even those who said Chad would "never get it" maintained his flaws were based on lack of fast physical response, not lack of fast enough mental processing.

Oh I am not sure about that...I think it was a combo of people thinking he was just a big dumb jock who could not feel the pressure and when it was there he was not smart enough to hold onto the ball or get rid of it....hell the number of funny photoshops to make him look dumb are partial evidence of how some saw him.

Yes, sigh. That kind of closes the case. How dumb must a white QB be if a black one is smarter? Even the one example of the dumb white QB is put into perspective by the congenital inferiority of the black one.

I have heard Bradshaw speak out several times on how devastating he felt that unfair and totally wrong criticism to be. TB felt stigmatized by it, and he had to work very hard not to let it affect his game. Labels have that effect on folks. They can cause both debilitating and facilitating anxiety, but the scars seldom heal..

Bradshaw singled out Hollywood Henderson in one long TV segment once, forget exactly what HH said of Terry, but it was the classic case of the "pot calling the kettle black", and it stayed with TB long.

Yes Hollywood said that if you spot bradshaw the C and T he still could not spell cat.

Also what bradshaw said was that he felt bad for Joe because of the notions that came about were more of slap in the face of Joe then it was to him...because of the racial issue.

BHendri5

Reaction score
I have to disagree with you on this statement here:

Troy was able to slide and sidestep defenders in his early years, but was a sitting duck towards the end.

I have never ever seen Troy sidestep a defender, DEs would say in the huddle meet you at the QB because they knew Troy would be there, Just like you stated he stood tall in the pocket and waited for an option to come open. Dan Marino Would slide, sidestep and do those things in the pocket, and he had a quick release.

Troy did a heck of a job for the team with his style, much props to him.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Good coaching helped improve Aikman as a passer, but some quarterbacks come into the league possessing near flawless mechanics and throwing motions.

Aikman was such a case

I also believe that quarterbacks who have accuracy problems can improve if it is linked to their mechanics.

Carter is such a case.

Quincy has made tremendous strides as a passer since entering the league and there's no reason to think he's reached his ceiling in this area.

Last year in week one, Troy Aikman said that Carter was as good as most passers in the NFL when he knew where he wanted to go with the ball (which is why I want to see the running game keep the team in short yardage situations and limit what defenses can do).

Troy isn't one to hand out compliments to any Cowboy over the airwaves.

If the team continues to improve and defenses aren't able to sit back all the time in pass defense, I do believe Carter can play at a high level.

Plenty of it is on Carter, but there is also quite a few things the team can improve on to help carter play better

The stuff above that you posted is some good stuff, great points. There were times in Carter's rookie and his 2nd season, when posters would post about the ducks, I would post a response saying that the ducks were a result of Carter not being sure of where he wanted to throw the ball, or not sure of what he read in the defense, but when he was sure of his reads and confident his passes were some very pretty passes, you would see all the proper mechanics, you would see him step into his throws and his follow thru.

I also remember Troy saying that too. Yes, he can play at a high level and he will.

Great points

BHendri5

Reaction score
junk said:
I think of anyone on this board, you are probably the last one that should question my intelligence.

I am not afraid of Carter, I was making a joke to try to point out how ridiculous your replies have been.

If becoming accurate is simply a matter of practicing, why hasn't Carter done it yet? In my mind, what could be more important that being able to get the ball to the receiver? If it is accurate, it will not be intercepted and will allow the receiver to run after the catch. To me, accuracy seems to be a very important trait for a QB. What good is a QB with a cannon arm, if he can't hit the broadside of a barn?

I'll question your intelligence all day everyday, because it is garbage. If you told me you played football I would bust out laughing.

You can hit the broadside of a barn, Heck my 2yr old can do that. You still did not tell me how many accurate QBs have won the SB. When you guys talk about aikman all the ammo you have is " Well he was accurate" or "he was the most accurate QB in the league" give it a break LOL.

Accuracy is not a God given talent, whether you think QC is accurate or not, that is your problem. I do not worry about whether he is accurate or not, as long as he can lead the team and we continue to win, games and SBs, he can throw the ball like he is cross eyed, Wins and Losses, Wins and Losses.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Bluefin said:
Dallas' offense scored 28 touchdowns last year with almost no running game and a defense that forced 25 turnovers.

Carolina's offense scored 28 touchdowns last year with a ground based ball control scheme like Parcells wanted and a defense that forced 26 turnovers.

New England's offense scored 32 touchdowns last year with almost no running game and a defense that was tied for second in the NFL with 41 turnovers.

Two of the three appeared in the Super Bowl.

The Cowboys were in the first year of a new offense under Parcells and there is obvious room for improvement in every area.

Getting more turnovers from the defense, imrpoved field position thanks to special teams, as well as more consistent running and passing from the offense and Dallas should be a contender, IMO.

I call BS.

Only 10 teams forced fewer turnovers than the Cowboys (25) and none of those units carried a number one yardage ranking like Dallas did.

Only one of those teams made the playoffs.

11 of the defenses forced turnovers came in two games (@ Det & @ Wash).

Dallas was 12th in the NFL in rushing.

Dallas 1999 yards, 3.9 YPC, 11 TDs.

CAR 2091 yards, 4.0 YPC, 9 TDs. The Panthers were 7th in the NFL.

Our rushing numbers and Carolina's are almost identical.

Parcells has been quoted in the Ask Coach Parcells from DCW saying, " The defense we played could not force a lot of turnovers and we could not be as aggressive because one big play could cost us the game."

Two things hurt the defense's turnover rating:

1. The offense. We could not take chances by blitzing every down, jumping routes, or going for the strip instead of the sure tackle because a TD could cost us the game. You mentioned Detroit and Washington and all the turnovers, well those were games that we built a lead and could turn the dogs loose. ;)

2. Pass rush. Pressure leads to turnovers without taking chances.

BHendri5

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Troy Aikman was a fairly gifted NFL Passer. I think he benefited alot from the Personell around him. He was QB that could make plays but I never felt he was the type of QB that could carry a team on his back.

I think Troy Aikman will get the Hall of Fame nod because of his performances in the Playoffs and his 3 Super Bowl Rings. If you compare Aikman's numbers to other Hall of Fame QB, especially the ones of his error (Favre, Young, etc etc), his numbers are not that great. I am not sure if Aikman is even in the Top 2 QBs in Cowboys history.

Aikman is FAR Greater than Carter, and it is pointless to argue that, but he wasn't the type of QB that could carry an entire team.

Of any of the big Weapons Dallas had, I feel Emmitt Smith was the most important.

- Mike G.

ThankYOu, ThankYou very much. How many of those NFL camps do you think Troy attended while he was growing up?

BHendri5

Reaction score
jay cee said:
I have made similar points several times. And each time,, many of these guys reacted as if I said that Aikman was a bum.

They always do, for some reason they think that if you do not bow down and speak of aikman in awe like tones, you disgrace him.

I always give his credit, he was great at what he was asked to do. some in here will swear he won those SBs by himself and made the other players better.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I was mostly playing devils advocate but at the same time we should stop and think...well others should stop and think....that if a player has the great tools yet can not get it done on the field (at QB)...then most will be labled a flop and just not have a head for the game.

One other thing can be considered...I really don't hear many (of course you will always have some) people question McNabbs and Vicks intelligence...Normally they question their accuracy.
Not too many people Dante Culpeppers intelligence...they question if he can hold onto the ball or not.

If there were two black QBs of late that do get questions (fair or not) of intelligence...I think it would be QC and Kordell Stewart.

I have also noticed something else the last couple of years....

Kyle Boller was pumped up not just because of his arm strength...but also because of his "mobility"....while Byron Leftwich had one main knock on him...the percieved lack of mobility.....in many ways this thought process kind of flew the opposite of those preconcieved notions that black QBs are just mobile athletic QBs while the white guys are just pocket passers.

I think some of those notions of steretypes are breakind down...however sad to say I am sure some will always have those things in their minds.

I hear ya. QBs must have more mobility than in the past. The days of the statues in the pocket are dead. I think Tom Brady is the new prototype QB. A so called elite bus drive, who can hustle.

Oh I am not sure about that...I think it was a combo of people thinking he was just a big dumb jock who could not feel the pressure and when it was there he was not smart enough to hold onto the ball or get rid of it....hell the number of funny photoshops to make him look dumb are partial evidence of how some saw him.

I felt if Chad hadn't been a Stanford grad, folks wouldn't have taken that risk of making him "look" dumb. It's when there is confidence enough in something that humour can kick in successfully, and not be 'threatening.' The Hutchs at MacDonalds stuff didn''t come across as a critique of his brains, but as a spin on the old "you'll be flipping burgers because you're no pro football player" smack.
I never saw any of the big dumb jock take on Hutch. Not doubting it was out there, but I missed it.

Another example of how humour has to come from sterngth to work is Mike Winicki's current cute sig pic. Last summer, when Carter was so beleagured and expected by almost everyone to lose out to Hutch, that pic would not have made me laugh. It would have come across as mean spirited. This year, I can find it hilarious. This year, pics of Hutch flipping burgers would tick me off bigtime. It's our uniquely American brand of humour - we laugh at successes, not failures. Top cats, not underdogs:p

Yes Hollywood said that if you spot bradshaw the C and T he still could not spell cat.

Also what bradshaw said was that he felt bad for Joe because of the notions that came about were more of slap in the face of Joe then it was to him...because of the racial issue.

Thanks, that was it. C-A-T. lol

BP, I do a lot of defending of Carter, both directly and in peripheral issues like the one in this thread. And intend to continue doing so. But I really haven't glommed onto him as a favorite. I don't have any of the speical love I had and stlil hold for Vinnie, or Ray Lucas, or Terry, and which I have developed for some Cowboys as diverse in talent as Woody and Matt. Greg Ellis has also become dear to me.

I support Q because

1. He's (at least for now) BILL'S BOY. If Tuna put a three legged armadillo behind center, I'd root it on.

2. He's currently the best chance for success. Might not be in Sept. Might not be in Dec. but he is now.

3. I think he's got some intriguing talent. Unlike those who grit their teeth and feel the knot in their tummy whenever Q lofts one, I have a fair expectation of something GOOD happening. First time I saw him I thought "Jake Plummer type". "Bill's caught himself a live one, let's see how it plays out."

4. And finally, the Dale Hanson defense once again. For me, it has become about a certain segment of Carter's detractors as well. And I think there is a widespread double standard existing for him, beyond the extremists. He was not ready in 01, and it is not on him he was inserted too soon.

But I won't be losing any sleep if this doesn't play out that Q stays in Dallas as the starter for the next decade. If an Emmitt Smith can't retire from his team, who can expect to do so? If Carter plays fairly well this year, and then is allowed to go in order to play Henson, so be it. He will have done well enough to start or at least back up on some NFL team, and how many young men have gotten so far. He, like all of them, is living the dream. I save my compassion for players cut down with injuries in their early years, with all their hopes crushed forever. Or for the Pat Tillmans of this world.

I'm not so tied up with Quincy, he has to be the starter. It's not a "I must be right at all costs" thing. I will wish him luck whatever he does, wherever he plays, and root him on, but he has not become 'special' to me, so I have no emotional investment. He hasn't the skill, level of raw talent, underdog status based on lack of god given talent but tremendous drive, personality, sad past, or notable Parcells Guy heart for me to really identify with him. If Vinnie starts over Quincy, I won't be crying on it. In fact, part of me would love to see a last hurrah for Testaverde.

But for how he keeps things poppin' around Cowboys land, I salute him,

blindzebra

Reaction score
CowboynIRAQ said:
I'll question your intelligence all day everyday, because it is garbage. If you told me you played football I would bust out laughing.

You can hit the broadside of a barn, Heck my 2yr old can do that. You still did not tell me how many accurate QBs have won the SB. When you guys talk about aikman all the ammo you have is " Well he was accurate" or "he was the most accurate QB in the league" give it a break LOL.

Accuracy is not a God given talent, whether you think QC is accurate or not, that is your problem. I do not worry about whether he is accurate or not, as long as he can lead the team and we continue to win, games and SBs, he can throw the ball like he is cross eyed, Wins and Losses, Wins and Losses.

Since 1992:

Aikman 3 SBs, Young, Farve, Elway 2 SBs, Warner, Brady 2 SBs, and Johnson.

BHendri5

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Since 1992:

7, that is it? 7 you're telling me out of 39 SBs only 7? Really 6, because Favre evolved into a somewhat accurate passer, he was not that in the beginning and he really is not a QB they bring up when they talk about accurate QBs.

Anyway, good Job.

jay cee

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Since 1992:

I would take Young, Farve, Elway and Brady over Aikman. Aikman has more superbowl rings than those guys because he played on a better team. That does not mean he was the better qb.

edit: Sorry BZ, I stuck my nose in before I understood what you were discussing.

In the words of Rosanne Rosanna Danna....."Never Mind".

blindzebra

Reaction score
CowboynIRAQ said:
7, that is it? 7 you're telling me out of 39 SBs only 7? Really 6, because Favre evolved into a somewhat accurate passer, he was not that in the beginning and he really is not a QB they bring up when they talk about accurate QBs.

Anyway, good Job.

No I'm saying 11 out of the last 12 were won by accurate QBs. Going back to the first Super Bowl would just further disprove your ridiculous argument.

Pulled a Ben Stiller on FAVRE, there. :D

FYI, Favre's comp % DROPPED to 59.9% the year GB won the Super Bowl. He was ALWAYS accurate, his problem early was trying to show how accurate and strong his arm was and that led to INTs.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
I hear ya. QBs must have more mobility than in the past. The days of the statues in the pocket are dead. I think Tom Brady is the new prototype QB. A so called elite bus drive, who can hustle.

I think so as well...with the way defenses have came around so fast...you have to have a guy that can make quick decisions or be very mobile...if you got one that can do both then you have struck gold....and please note that the number of Top Franchise (Gold) QBs in the league seems to shrink every few years.

I felt if Chad hadn't been a Stanford grad, folks wouldn't have taken that risk of making him "look" dumb. It's when there is confidence enough in something that humour can kick in successfully, and not be 'threatening.' The Hutchs at MacDonalds stuff didn''t come across as a critique of his brains, but as a spin on the old "you'll be flipping burgers because you're no pro football player" smack.
I never saw any of the big dumb jock take on Hutch. Not doubting it was out there, but I missed it.

Remind me later (I am at work now) and I will post my infamous ChadBlade pic...if that does not make you laugh...then something is wrong. :D

Another example of how humour has to come from sterngth to work is Mike Winicki's current cute sig pic. Last summer, when Carter was so beleagured and expected by almost everyone to lose out to Hutch, that pic would not have made me laugh. It would have come across as mean spirited. This year, I can find it hilarious. This year, pics of Hutch flipping burgers would tick me off bigtime. It's our uniquely American brand of humour - we laugh at successes, not failures. Top cats, not underdogs:p

You know maybe you were not around for all of it...but you would be shocked at the number of photoshops made at Hutch's expense and how FEW have been made at QCs....which is really quite shocking considering the number of people who bag on QC.

4. And finally, the Dale Hanson defense once again. For me, it has become about a certain segment of Carter's detractors as well. And I think there is a widespread double standard existing for him, beyond the extremists. He was not ready in 01, and it is not on him he was inserted too soon.

I do get tired of the extremist...on both sides of the spectrum....You are more of the positive for QC (but not extreme) and I am more of the skeptic (but not extreme)....but the extremist on both sides just wear me out.....I have seen some that will bite their nose off just to spite their face to push their agenda:eek

But I won't be losing any sleep if this doesn't play out that Q stays in Dallas as the starter for the next decade. If an Emmitt Smith can't retire from his team, who can expect to do so? If Carter plays fairly well this year, and then is allowed to go in order to play Henson, so be it. He will have done well enough to start or at least back up on some NFL team, and how many young men have gotten so far. He, like all of them, is living the dream. I save my compassion for players cut down with injuries in their early years, with all their hopes crushed forever. Or for the Pat Tillmans of this world.

I tell you the truth...I want the best for the boys...if QC steps up this year and leaves no question that he is the answer...then Cool because it really takes away from the learning process of any other QB that we tab as "Next" even if it is a pro...they still have to be brought in or learn the system and chemistry with the players.

However if QC is found to not be the answer...then let's move forward and find the "Next" one.

Once thing I do NOT want to happen...is for QC to be so so this year..I want an answer to this situation THIS year and no inbetweens.

But for how he keeps things poppin' around Cowboys land, I salute him,

The activity I can salute him for...but because of the extremist that he has brought out due to his name and play....Well I want to kick him in the crotch.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
My husband's rational response was that it shouldn't be too hard for you to stay off "that board" for a few weeks then?

You're a fellow female !!!!! Next time, give a sister a clue ;)

How many of us are there?

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chadblade.jpg

Here is that pic

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sportsbabe said:
You're a fellow female !!!!! Next time, give a sister a clue ;)

How many of us are there?

You
LaTunaNostra
BrownSugar
cowboy
Gatorgirl

I have not seen the last two post in a long time.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
You
LaTunaNostra
BrownSugar
cowboy
Gatorgirl

I have not seen the last two post in a long time.
Candy from extremeskins.com too.

Status
Not open for further replies.