Quarterback Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisFul

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Yeah we also had the best running attack due to a couple of big runs at the start of the season but I sure as hell do not claim that Dallas had an outstanding running game. Look if you like Carter then fine I think he is a major waste of time and I'll say so. If you don't like that then to heck with you, I'm not hear to say the things you want to hear. So you keep on making your litttle lame excuses because I really do not pay much attention of anything you have to say because normally it is not worth reading to begin with.

Lame excuses? Those are NUMBERS.

You said "Our offense didnt get the job done early on".

FACTS say our offense was in the top 5 of the NFL until week 8 or 9.

Hm.

Your posts arent exactly chocked with insight, either. I can sum up all of them in one long sentence.

"I don't like Carter i think he sucks but maybe he will improve we will see but i won't hold my breath"

Thats basically it.

In what world does putting up nearly 400 yards of total offense, and winning 2 out of 3 resemble "Not getting it done"?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ChrisFul said:
Lame excuses? Those are NUMBERS.

You said "Our offense didnt get the job done early on".

FACTS say our offense was in the top 5 of the NFL until week 8 or 9.

Hm.

The offese was not scoring, yardage does not mean jack **** to me which is exactly what the offensive rating system is all about Yardage. Too often the defense gave the offense great field position only to see them end up with a FG. Carter did have a couple of good games along the way (Arz and Det) but problem is we play 16 not a couple. Again you like Carter or think he can become our QB then fine but after watching 3 years of this fool behind center I'm frankly sick of it and hope like hell someone step ups and takes the job away so that this team can work towards the future and stop spinning their wheels with this guy. last thing when does 400 yards mean something? when you start getting points based on yardag, other than that the simple fact is it is the offense job to put points on the board and the defenses job to not allow teams to put points on the board. Defense held their end of the deal up

Bluefin

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I don't doubt have more of a supporting cast will help the QB but how much and while it is easy to lay it on the supporting cast Carter still has his own shortcoming that he needs to overcome if he is ever to be the longterm solution.

I don't know how much an improved supporting cast will help, but as long as it does help, Carter should have a chance to play better.

And please don't mistake my looking at other areas as laying all the blame on everyone but Carter.

TwoDeep3 does that.

Carter has room for improvement in every area and improve he must.

Getting more help in these other areas will simply make improving that much easier and eliminate what some like to dub as "excuses" for Carter.

Carter now has a possession receiver.

The offensive line should be better.

Julius Jones should pose more of a big play threat to defenses.

The defense looks poised to force more turnovers.

I hope the return game can't get any worse.

These are things that can help make Carter's job easier to perform.

I hope they happen because I want the team to succeed.

Myself I will not be suprised when Vinny takes that job from Carter.

I'm happy to have Vinny Testaverde.

A playoff contender needs two quarterbacks to protect themselves.

I don't believe Vinny was brought in to be the starter or that he could withstand a 16 game season without a stout running game, but he's a better option than what we had last year behind Carter.

I'm going to cheer for whoever winds up behind center, but I'll be very surprised if it isn't Carter barring injury.

ChrisFul

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Look if you like Carter then fine I think he is a major waste of time and I'll say so. If you don't like that then to heck with you, I'm not hear to say the things you want to hear. So you keep on making your litttle lame excuses because I really do not pay much attention of anything you have to say because normally it is not worth reading to begin with.

Oooooooh, we have an e-thug! Internet tough guy alert! Hey, we better watch what we say from now on around here, Doomsday101 ain't taking no sh@t off anyone!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ChrisFul said:
Oooooooh, we have an e-thug! Internet tough guy alert! Hey, we better watch what we say from now on around here, Doomsday101 ain't taking no sh@t off anyone!

And how about you and your comments to others around here? How you take my comments as being a tough guy is beyond me. Because I'm not some sheep that is just going to follow others lead? give me a break. I'll speak my mine and if you don't like it then that is your problem not mine.

ChrisFul

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
And how about you and your comments to others around here? How you take my comments as being a tough guy is beyond me. Because I'm not some sheep that is just going to follow others lead? give me a break. I'll speak my mine and if you don't like it then that is your problem not mine.

Yes, yes, you'll speak your mind, and I can't stop you, and all that whatnot.

www.dictionary.com

Bluefin

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
The offese was not scoring, yardage does not mean jack **** to me which is exactly what the offensive rating system is all about Yardage. Too often the defense gave the offense great field position only to see them end up with a FG.
Dallas' offense scored 28 touchdowns last year with almost no running game and a defense that forced 25 turnovers.

Carolina's offense scored 28 touchdowns last year with a ground based ball control scheme like Parcells wanted and a defense that forced 26 turnovers.

New England's offense scored 32 touchdowns last year with almost no running game and a defense that was tied for second in the NFL with 41 turnovers.

Two of the three appeared in the Super Bowl.

The Cowboys were in the first year of a new offense under Parcells and there is obvious room for improvement in every area.

Getting more turnovers from the defense, imrpoved field position thanks to special teams, as well as more consistent running and passing from the offense and Dallas should be a contender, IMO.

Too often the defense gave the offense great field position only to see them end up with a FG.
I call BS.

Only 10 teams forced fewer turnovers than the Cowboys (25) and none of those units carried a number one yardage ranking like Dallas did.

Only one of those teams made the playoffs.

11 of the defenses forced turnovers came in two games (@ Det & @ Wash).

Nightshade

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
That is Bill's O in a nutshell. He requires a bus driver at QB, but one who can air it out when the defenses give the leeway. He also wants an underneath game that will take pressure off the deep receivers and the run game.

Vinnie was the consummate bus driver in NY in 98, the first and only year Bill coached him. (In 99 he missed all but the first few drives of the opener to injury, and by 2000, Al Groh had taken over for Tuna as the HC, Bill remaining for that year as GM).

These are bus driver Vinnie's annotated numbers in '98. I am rehashing it because I've seen no evidence to date this is NOT exactly the offensive game Bill still wants.

13 starts, 14 appearances.

Tuna benched Glenn Foley FAST after two losses in which it was evident the kid could not use his weapons to best advantage. Foley did not have to "stink" to lose his job. Tuna is actually more forgiving of a horrendous day by a QB with multi picks and considersssuch outings critical events in a QB's development. He is far less forgiving of mediocrity bringing down the talent of those around him. Folks tend to point to Q's picks as evidence of his futlity. Well, you CAN'T turn the ball over in a ball control offense. But once the weapons are in place, I think the main criteria will be how effectively they are utilized. If Terry or AB are waving their arms out there, open, and Q doesn't see them, well.....

421 attempts, 259 completions, 61.5% pass completion ave.

A pass completion of 60% is a given. You can't execute ball control just on a run game, and a pass game predicated on not getting into third and long scenarios. The underneath game is critical in Bill's O, not just the long ball. He expects YAC from the receivers, and decent timing on short routes, and the ability of the QB to shoot that rock out before the defenders have closed in on the receiver.

3256 yards, YPA 7.73, a long of 82

This is a play action centered offense, but the bus driver doesn't have to be Dan Marino. That 7.73 YPA is the key and last year's 6.54 will not get it done.

29 TDs, 7 picks

Keeping in mind this a a player who had been plagued by picks his entire career, this is some bus driving. Yes, every thing that could be done to keep Vin out of high pressure situations was, but he responded by thowing the ball away when something wasn't there, by living to fight another drive. He did not let his ego make him force balls like he had previously been prone to.

Of course, it was a pretty good bus Vinnie drove with a double teamed Key catching 89 passes for 1150 yards, a 13.1 aver and 8 TDs and "slow" Wayne Chrebet making hay with 75 receptions for 1083, a 14.4 ave and 4 TDs, his career year. Keyshawn does this for his partner - free him up. He has to take full advantage. I really feel the heat is on Terry and/or AB as much as it is on Carter and Jones. Martin ran for 1287 yards on 369 carries for a 4.0 ave, and 8 TDs. His first year in NY was not his statistical best, but it was he made the play action possible which kept the defenses off balance.

Spreading the ball around as much as possible is essential. Ther are no Priest Holmes or Marvin Harrison numbers, but everyone looks good in it. And it's the "bus driver" who orchestrates it.

This is Parcells ball, and some find it boring, but in honesty, it is beautiful and even fascinating when it is well executed. It is a well oiled bus with enough big plays to delight, and which in reality, absolutely needs a QB who is not a super star, but a true leader.

PS love your posts, BF :)

Wow, what a KICK *** post. :eek:

You just GOT to love this forum. Great opinions by so many of the members.
I just wish more of the people trolling would jump on in.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Nightshade said:

Me too, Nightshade.

I see all these clever handles in the onlines and wonder what X or Z would have to say.

Personally, I'd shut up more, :rolleyes: if more folks chimed in. Writing non stop is great, but reading and learning even better.

Sometimes folks feel shy about jumping in.

I sure hope no one does here.

It's aaaaallll good....

later

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
[/QUOTE] So if QC was white, we could question his intelligence?[/QUOTE]

The point is that his intelligence wouldn't be questioned if he was white. Sure feel free to question any white QBs intelligence all you like. If that's what you need to do to strengthen your support or non-support for a QB. The truth is that it only becomes an issue when the QB is black. You never hear that criticism when speaking about white QBs. Heck, I've got to grab my abbacas to keep up with the number of times I've heard Henson described as smart and intelligence ... yeah but can he command the huddle, avoid the blitz and hold onto the football. Qunicy can do those things but he's not intelligent enough to hit the slant, score touchdowns in the red zone and resist the impulse to through into coverage :rolleyes: .

From sportscaster on down to message board experts intelligence is only used as a required skill when speaking about black QBs. You will see loads of fabricated examples now that it's been brought up in this thread, but the truth is the truth no matter how you dress it up, smack it & flip it.

In Bill We Trust

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nightshade said:
Wow, what a KICK *** post. :eek:

Stick around and watch the Lady work...sometimes I just sit back and smile.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Cheap Shot Artist said:
Yes thats it!! thats it!! just throw up the race card amd watch the multitudes blindly follow a baseless charge!!!

I dont see too many people questioning the intelligence of

McNair
McNabb
Culpepper
Vick
Leftwich

You automatically assumed that questioning someones intelligence is playing the race card. Imagine that :rolleyes:

Rush Limbaugh took his jab at Donovan (how soon we forget). Culpepper is always described as athletic along with the rest. It doesn't take a rocket scientist. Just the mere opening of the eyes & mind. But as long as your above list keep doing what they're doing, it's all good. I'm loving it!!!

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
BTW, not stealing your thunder here Sportsbabe. Just a case of "been there, done that". :p

Thanks, I needed that. Let's me know that the facts have been presented and I can leave this issue alone. I just wanted to make my position known since I'm new to the board. I long ago stopped responding to QB threads. Who ever is behind center I am going to scream, shout & root just like always. I know BP is going to do what's best for the team.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sportsbabe said:
] So if QC was white, we could question his The point is that his intelligence wouldn't be questioned if he was white. Sure feel free to question any white QBs intelligence all you like. If that's what you need to do to strengthen your support or non-support for a QB. The truth is that it only becomes an issue when the QB is black. You never hear that criticism when speaking about white QBs. Heck, I've got to grab my abbacas to keep up with the number of times I've heard Henson described as smart and intelligence ... yeah but can he command the huddle, avoid the blitz and hold onto the football. Qunicy can do those things but he's not intelligent enough to hit the slant, score touchdowns in the red zone and resist the impulse to through into coverage :rolleyes: .

From sportscaster on down to message board experts intelligence is only used as a required skill when speaking about black QBs. You will see loads of fabricated examples now that it's been brought up in this thread, but the truth is the truth no matter how you dress it up, smack it & flip it.

In Bill We Trust

I am curious if you ever questioned Ryan Leaf or Brian Griese's intelligence...or lack of Intelligence....how about Jeff George, Tim Couch, Todd Blackledge, Rick Mirer, David Klingler, Heath Schuler...just to name a few.

Or how about one of the QBs that was the start of the "Dumb" QBs...Terry Bradshaw...however to be fair here...Terry claims that he was referred to as a dumb QB because of some racisist view points where the steelers started Joe Gilliam and that the white qb (Bradshaw in this case) must be really dumb if they were going to start a black QB.....that was what Bradshaw said lead to him being known as a dumb QB....not sure if it is true or not but I seen him say that on an interview.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
CowboynIRAQ said:
For a beautiful Woman who knows football too, Lady, Quincy got to go. He will have to move around. LOL

Yeah, that's what they all say. I've found that guys who say that are just talking smack. They fold just like Chutch under a LB Blitz when faced with the real thing ;)

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
billknows said:
Babe what a joke you really are,, are you really a fan

Are you addressing this post to me? I'm sure you enlightened me on something but after the 1st 3 sentences I came to the conclusion that nothing in your post had anything to do with anything I have previously posted. Then I got tired because your post is too much like work.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I am curious if you ever questioned Ryan Leaf or Brian Griese's intelligence...or lack of Intelligence....how about Jeff George, Tim Couch, Todd Blackledge, Rick Mirer, David Klingler, Heath Schuler...just to name a few.

That's not my thing. I have no desire to speak about a person's character or intellect. Never have never will. I want to know about their physical attributes and if they can get the team up and down the field into the end zone. Also, how good they look it a pair of football pants. Other than that, I have kno interest in character assassination :D

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

That's a nice string of flops, BP. But with black QBs, the criticism comes before the guy has a chance to show what he can do and continues long after he has or hasn't flopped. Some of it is fueled by the feeling a "running" QB is not cerebrally equipped to excel at passing. When an athlete can both run and pass, and is also white, a la Tarkenton, or Elway, it is an asset. Cunningham, a fine QB, was something else entirely. Vick, with all his exceptional ability, is being rated as a passer far below what his actual performance indicates. Some of this does not show itself in stats, but by WATCHING the amazing plays, and the speed with which he gets the ball out. He is far more accurate than his detractors enjoy claiming. But somehow this unusual ability is viewed as a form of "subtractive" athleticism.

Your list. Jeff George is universally known as an ego ridden head case, not a moron. Leaf as extremely immature, but to the very stupid end he was claimed to be "HIGHLY intelligent". ??? Couch's defense reading developmental curve has been critiqued enough by Browns fans, but I never saw it extended to discussion on his innate capacity to learn. I never heard or read it said of Blackridge, Klinger, or Schuler that they lacked intelligence. I am sure fans somewhere, sometime, referred to them as "'braindead", but the wider debate, to my knowledge, was not that they lacked the mental capabilites to master the position, or to be a leader. It was always "speed of game" issues.

Vinnie T was referred to once, cruelly, as "a million dollar arm with a ten cent head". This was when his TD:INT ratio was just brutal, when he tried to complete passes from his knees after bring knocked down. But the criticism, if unkind, was linked to debate about actual performance, and blessedly ended when he got his act together under Bill. There was no residual discourse about his lack of intelligence.

Mirer is a player I really have it in for. After what he did to the Jets and Bill in 99, his inadequacy, and the blasted WHINING he did in NY, and thereafter about that 'unfair' beastly Tuna. Mirer, that loser! I never liked him to begin with as he came from Notre Dame, and Mr. Genius Walsh trumpeted him like the second coming. But I flat out hated the crybaby when he blanked us over in NY. And yet, even tho he had hundreds of Jets fans wishing him literally and figuratively DEAD, I never once saw it suggested he lacked the gray matter to play pro QB. His own take was "I just never get to play in the right system", boo hoo. Hasn't he been in ALL of them by now?

Likewise, I never saw Hutch's "lack of pocket presence" attributed to anything other than a physically based learning curve. Even those who said Chad would "never get it" maintained his flaws were based on lack of fast physical response, not lack of fast enough mental processing.

Part of quarterback "I&I", instinct and intelligence, is sensing a rush, knowing what to do in such a split second situation, and making a sound decision with the ball. This is primarily a "mental" response, but needs lightening quick translation to physical action. Like throwing picks under pressure, it's about what the head hasn’t told the body to do fast enough, or do right. And this can and often DOES, improve with time. Yet in all the many many endless Hutch debates, I never once saw Chad's 'intelligence' questioned.

Or how about one of the QBs that was the start of the "Dumb" QBs...Terry Bradshaw...however to be fair here...Terry claims that he was referred to as a dumb QB because of some racisist view points where the steelers started Joe Gilliam and that the white qb (Bradshaw in this case) must be really dumb if they were going to start a black QB.....that was what Bradshaw said lead to him being known as a dumb QB....not sure if it is true or not but I seen him say that on an interview

Yes, sigh. That kind of closes the case. How dumb must a white QB be if a black one is smarter? Even the one example of the dumb white QB is put into perspective by the congenital inferiority of the black one.

I have heard Bradshaw speak out several times on how devastating he felt that unfair and totally wrong criticism to be. TB felt stigmatized by it, and he had to work very hard not to let it affect his game. Labels have that effect on folks. They can cause both debilitating and facilitating anxiety, but the scars seldom heal..

Bradshaw singled out Hollywood Henderson in one long TV segment once, forget exactly what HH said of Terry, but it was the classic case of the "pot calling the kettle black", and it stayed with TB long.

My personal definition of intelligence is the ability to lead an intelligent life, making more sound choices than dumbarse ones.. By that light, Bradshaw is a freaking genius (tho some of the choices on those ex-wives didn't strike me as his finest hour), and Henderson something considerably less. Had Quincy Carter reacted to Bill Parcells stern regime by sulking, pouting, more melting down and self-victimizing, I sure as shooting would consider him an idiot. But he reacted intelligently to the challenge, with hard work and dedication. He may never get his speed of game issues solved. Like Tim Couch is struggling to do, he may never get to the rare exceptionally fast processing of a successful NFL QB (these guys are indeed cognitively exceptional - just to have gotten as far as they have), but if he fails like so so many in the past have, it will not be because he lacks "mental capabilities".

It's a debate, a kind of discourse, our semantic choices, and ways to frame arguments that indicate we haven't come as far as we as a society like to think we have…it's usually covert, but there is most definitely a double standard "there".

As a fan I reserve the time honored right of calling any player, in the heat of battle, a dumbarse, imbecile, moron, nitwit, etc, names based referentially on lack of intelligence, but which in common use are no more critical of it as Bill Parcells yelling "throw it you stupid &^%$" at his QBs in practices.

The other debate, the serious one about what "mental capacity" is and how to assess it, I prefer to leave to that handful of cognitive and developmental psychologists who have made an impact in the field, none of whom I have yet seen on a sports board. :p

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Stick around and watch the Lady work...sometimes I just sit back and smile.
Ha, you're smiling at full fledged addiction, my friend.

Those novellas come at a price.

Last week I was b*tching and moaning about there not being any football news to discuss. My husband's rational response was that it shouldn't be too hard for you to stay off "that board" for a few weeks then?

I lasted three days.

I will be telepathing football posts from my grave via seances.

The next time I ask you to BAN me, lmao, please be the kind soul I know you to be and comply. :D

But football DOES rule, doesn't it?

BHendri5

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Problem is even early on the offense was not getting the job done. We played the giants in week 2 our offense put up 1 TD that is it, week one aginst atlanta the offese looked poor and Carter only hit 47% of his passes, aginst the Jets Hambrick went over 100 yards and yes Vinny posted better numbers. I don't doubt have more of a supporting cast will help the QB but how much and while it is easy to lay it on the supporting cast Carter still has his own shortcoming that he needs to overcome if he is ever to be the longterm solution. Myself I will not be suprised when Vinny takes that job from Carter.

Recently I saw an article that had our offense at #15 after the season, by that accounting we still were in the top 20, the top 10, or 5 would have been better, but No worries it will be there this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.