Quick Trey Lance Breakdown

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I am 100% saying that having packages for him is justified. He needs experience & you are already paying him. He can do things that no other QB on the team can do and that gives the team an advantage other teams would have to prepare for.
Ok and I'm saying you're 100% wrong because he isn't a good passer and he's not a dynamic enough runner to compensate.

Just because he's a better runner than Dak doesn't mean he's a runner that other defenses are going to worry about gameplanning for.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Dak now, would deserve the criticism.

Dak as a rookie or early in his career in a preseason game, everyone said "hey, it's a mistake. mistakes can be corrected"

Which is exactly what I'm saying with Lance.
Which is exactly the attitude we should have right now. Regardless of what anyone thinks about Lance at this point he isnt going anywhere for at least another year. I really dont see any reason for people to not root for the kid. If Dak elects to try free agency in 2025 the easy solution would be to have a guy like Lance ready to go.

If he went out and had 3 performances like the 1st preseason game against the Rams I'd be very worried about him. Really though I think we saw three different versions of Trey Lance each week, and obvious signs that the guy is coachable and adaptable. The INTs were bad....like really bad, especially 4 of them, but all four of those also seem to stem from the same issue. He threw some absolute dimes as well in this last game and the accuracy seems to have gotten better week after week. All of the skills to succeed in the NFL seem to be there, but he clearly doesn't seem to play at NFL speed yet, and that speed gets even quicker once the regular season starts. The big thing for Lance now is just how do the Cowboys get him meaningful reps to get him to actual game speed. Do they make him the QB2 to activate on game days? Make him the scout team QB? Those are very difficult questions that have a lot of different layers to them.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
In other words, he can't throw the ball downfield without turning the ball over. They are telling you he is a bad quarterback.

It is fair. Teams would love for the Cowboys to give Lance possessions.
Outside of the final play, none of the ints were "downfield." So, that logic doesn't follow.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Outside of the final play, none of the ints were "downfield." So, that logic doesn't follow.
Yea I already said as much...

But the point is that he can't consistently get the ball downfield without turning it over. For all we know, the underneath INTs were the product of waiting too long to see if something was open downfield and being late on the delivery.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Ok and I'm saying you're 100% wrong because he isn't a good passer and he's not a dynamic enough runner to compensate.

Just because he's a better runner than Dak doesn't mean he's a runner that other defenses are going to worry about gameplanning for.
We disagree. That's cool. But why are you so completely against seeing any positives regarding him?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Kansas City Chiefs are not Super Bowl champions. Heard it here first.

What a stupid opinion to have.
Never said that.

They are also not yet a 2024 playoff team. Extremely LIKELY!

US at the moment...not as likely.

Dude you are a MASTER goal post mover...exquisite.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Never said that.

They are also not yet a 2024 playoff team. Extremely LIKELY!

US at the moment...not as likely.

Dude you are a MASTER goal post mover...exquisite.
You are a playoff team until you are not. You are the SB champ until you are not.

Didn't move the goalposts at all, you're just a knuckle dragger pretending to be insightful.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
We disagree. That's cool. But why are you so completely against seeing any positives regarding him?
I'm not. He has a ton of physical talent and can make lots of throws. But he simply can't see coverage and hit WRs downfield with inconsistency. On top of that, he misses routine throws (like the first INT) and is horrible on third down in known passing situations (3 INTs on 19 attempts of 3rd and 10 or less). These deficiencies make it impossible for a team to win with any consistency.

I don't know, or care, what he might be in 2027. He has no spot on this roster.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Really though I think we saw three different versions of Trey Lance each week, and obvious signs that the guy is coachable and adaptable. The INTs were bad....like really bad, especially 4 of them, but all four of those also seem to stem from the same issue. He threw some absolute dimes as well in this last game and the accuracy seems to have gotten better week after week. All of the skills to succeed in the NFL seem to be there,
This is the crux of it. We saw improvement each week AND he made some very impressive throws. PLUS he is absolutely capable of hurting teams with his legs. I'm encouraged.

It's unfortunate for Rush who has done nothing wrong but I would get Lance all the work I could.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are a playoff team until you are not. You are the SB champ until you are not.

Didn't move the goalposts at all, you're just a knuckle dragger pretending to be insightful.
If you say so champ!

Only the one team gets to lay claim until the next super bowl champ.

Playoffs don't work the same way....you have to earn that in the upcoming/current regular season. You *could* be a playoff caliber team....but....You aren't a "playoff team"...until the NFL puts you in the playoffs.

It should be pretty simple...unless one just wants to argue with people.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
If you say so champ!

Only the one team gets to lay claim until the next super bowl champ.

Playoffs don't work the same way....you have to earn that in the upcoming/current regular season. You *could* be a playoff caliber team....but....You aren't a "playoff team"...until the NFL puts you in the playoffs.

It should be pretty simple...unless one just wants to argue with people.
Nope. You are wrong. The logic applies to both or neither.

khiladi

Reaction score
Look, when you are talking about qualities like "good runner" and "certain packages", call it a wrap.

Any rookie that has potential, demonstrates it early on. It is only a matter of learning the NFL pace and putting it all together. QBs need to be able to go through their progressions and process quickly and move across the different levels of the field. They don't need dumbed down offenses like Dak or Trey, where everything is simplified to half the field. Even our resident "elite" QB was getting criticized after the Packers game by an anonymous WR that Dak "Panics' after his first read isn't there.

We need to let this season play out and look to drafting a new QB.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Dak now, would deserve the criticism.

Dak as a rookie or early in his career in a preseason game, everyone said "hey, it's a mistake. mistakes can be corrected"

Which is exactly what I'm saying with Lance.
tis is his 4th season. Thts a lot of film study, thats a lot of practice. he is NOT a rookie, and yet he still cant read a defense, yet he is very uncomfortable in the pocket, and he is still very inaccurate.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
tis is his 4th season. Thts a lot of film study, thats a lot of practice. he is NOT a rookie, and yet he still cant read a defense, yet he is very uncomfortable in the pocket, and he is still very inaccurate.
Don't know that is true, looked very comfortable in the pocket to me, was pretty accurate in this last game including a lot of difficult throws. Dan Fouts, HOF QB and announcer for the Chargers was very complimentary on a lot of his plays.

He needs REPS.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Don't know that is true, looked very comfortable in the pocket to me, was pretty accurate in this last game including a lot of difficult throws. Dan Fouts, HOF QB and announcer for the Chargers was very complimentary on a lot of his plays.

He needs REPS.
they are all complimentary... anytime the guy scrambles for 5 yards they rave about his running ability and athleticism to say why he was drafted so high.... who cares at this point. You only get a pass for so long. The results are clear... he aint getting resigned by Dallas and he isnt going to be the 2.