Random wrestling thread

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Watch RoH on Destination America.

What Worked

Starting off with a Briscoes promo. I really like Jay's promos a lot. I could do without Mark's promos, but since things like 'Swamp People' and 'Duck Dynasty' are so over with people, I think Mark's promos fit.

And that was what most of the show was about...wrestlers...wrestling or cutting promos. There was only 1 vignette, but they made that quick and to the point.

That story told in the match between Kishuda (sp?) and Ferrarra. As far as how the story of the match was told, this is how you wrestle a longer match on TV between 2 curtain jerkers and get it to work.

Silas Young. I saw him wrestle a year ago in what I believe was his debut match against a young wrestler and they put on a helluva match. This match wasn't nearly as good, but I love the charisma, the look and the wrestling ability. Very Ole Anderson-ish, which is a good thing.

Jay Lethal on the mike.

They didn't use generic ring music without any lyrics. To me, that's a critical mistake that TNA has made over the years.

What Didn't Work

The outside the ring lighting and padding. Outside the ring moves are supposed to be more 'high risk' and 'dangerous.' But, you can't really tell with such poor lighting outside the ring. Also, the padding outside the ring is so thick that you start to think that is probably softer than taking a bump inside the ring.

The camera work was a bit of a problem because it got too close and at bad angles that exposed the wrestler's work. The Kishuda (sp?) Ferrara match was showing so much daylight that it made the Miz vs. Cena look like Hansen vs. Vader. Part of the issue was the execution obviously, but the camera work...especially when you can edit...didn't help matters any.

The announcing isn't very good. Kevin Kelly is very average and Steve Corino just doesn't get the hang of it. Especially when you're doing a storyline of where your son goes off with the 'bad crowd' and the bad crowd suckers him into wrestling and getting obliterated by a wrestler twice his size. I think I've showed more emotion when the auto shop tells me that they are coming in at $100 over estimate.

Probably not wise to book 2 matches in a row, on your debut night, where the heel doesn't wrestle as advertised.

This was one of the weaker Briscoes matches I've seen. It wasn't bad, but I've seen them in far better.

YR

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What Worked

Starting off with a Briscoes promo. I really like Jay's promos a lot. I could do without Mark's promos, but since things like 'Swamp People' and 'Duck Dynasty' are so over with people, I think Mark's promos fit.

And that was what most of the show was about...wrestlers...wrestling or cutting promos. There was only 1 vignette, but they made that quick and to the point.

That story told in the match between Kishuda (sp?) and Ferrarra. As far as how the story of the match was told, this is how you wrestle a longer match on TV between 2 curtain jerkers and get it to work.

Silas Young. I saw him wrestle a year ago in what I believe was his debut match against a young wrestler and they put on a helluva match. This match wasn't nearly as good, but I love the charisma, the look and the wrestling ability. Very Ole Anderson-ish, which is a good thing.

Jay Lethal on the mike.

They didn't use generic ring music without any lyrics. To me, that's a critical mistake that TNA has made over the years.

What Didn't Work

The outside the ring lighting and padding. Outside the ring moves are supposed to be more 'high risk' and 'dangerous.' But, you can't really tell with such poor lighting outside the ring. Also, the padding outside the ring is so thick that you start to think that is probably softer than taking a bump inside the ring.

The camera work was a bit of a problem because it got too close and at bad angles that exposed the wrestler's work. The Kishuda (sp?) Ferrara match was showing so much daylight that it made the Miz vs. Cena look like Hansen vs. Vader. Part of the issue was the execution obviously, but the camera work...especially when you can edit...didn't help matters any.

The announcing isn't very good. Kevin Kelly is very average and Steve Corino just doesn't get the hang of it. Especially when you're doing a storyline of where your son goes off with the 'bad crowd' and the bad crowd suckers him into wrestling and getting obliterated by a wrestler twice his size. I think I've showed more emotion when the auto shop tells me that they are coming in at $100 over estimate.

Probably not wise to book 2 matches in a row, on your debut night, where the heel doesn't wrestle as advertised.

This was one of the weaker Briscoes matches I've seen. It wasn't bad, but I've seen them in far better.

YR

Great write up YR!

I remember Brody use to peel back the around the ring matting in order to give out a pile driver. That always got a big pop.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What Worked

Jay Lethal on the mike.

What Didn't Work

YR

Thakns for the review. I didn't get a chance to watch but really wanted to know if the product had improved.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
WWE has spoiled me. I cannot watch those cheaply produced wrestling shows that look like they're in a warehouse with 100 people in the audience.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Before he resigned with TNA last year Angle supposedly approached HHH and Vince about returning. HHH was cool to the idea but Vince dismissed him and never gave it a second thought. Angle signed with TNA and then vowed he wouldn't return to WWE again. Now when I see some of the stiffs getting air time on Raw it really gets on my last nerve that Vince actually turned away better talent. Makes no damn sense.

Could be partially due to the way Angle left in the first place.

It's rumored that when he left it was due to the WWE wanting to take him off the road, pull him back for a while, and let him get some rehab help because Angle was very badly addicted to pain killers.

Angle apparently told Vince that he needed to fully focus on his recovery and asked to be released because he was going to retire and get healthy. Vince gladly allowed it because he likes Angle and wanted him to get that help.

Then shortly there after Angle instead showed up in TNA.

That was the rumor anyway was that Angle lied to get out of his contract and instead went to TNA.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could be partially due to the way Angle left in the first place.

It's rumored that when he left it was due to the WWE wanting to take him off the road, pull him back for a while, and let him get some rehab help because Angle was very badly addicted to pain killers.

Angle apparently told Vince that he needed to fully focus on his recovery and asked to be released because he was going to retire and get healthy. Vince gladly allowed it because he likes Angle and wanted him to get that help.

Then shortly there after Angle instead showed up in TNA.

That was the rumor anyway was that Angle lied to get out of his contract and instead went to TNA.

That's a believable scenario.

It would also support the premise that his knees are a "car wreck" and he's become hooked on the pain killers.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
they could use a great wrestler like him

he must be passing physicals to wrestle now right?

and how many guys have they screwed over thru the years?

many I would guess.

Angle would be GREAT FOR BUSINESS...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow this is a good read. Really a great insight into what Vince is thinking....

Ex-ring announcer Justin Roberts on WWE's politics, shortcomings

BY JUSTIN BARRASSO
Posted: Fri Jun. 5, 2015

Justin Roberts felt the pit in his stomach as soon as he walked into Pittsburgh's Consol Energy Center. It was the day of the 2014 Royal Rumble and something felt off. Sipping his second cup of coffee after a cross-country flight, the veteran WWE ring announcer couldn't believe what he was was reading. In his hands was a copy of the general script of the night's show, which he routinely read to prepare for the night's card. But the finish of the main event was not what he was expecting.

“The Royal Rumble was always my favorite pay per view, but that was a really weird night,” said Roberts. “I was sitting there at the show, thinking to myself, ‘Why can’t they just listen to the crowd?’”

Wrestling fans clamored for Daniel Bryan to win the Rumble and continue his quest toward WrestleMania, but WWE CEO Vince McMahon had other plans. Dave Bautista won the Rumble match, and fans were treated to the return of Rey Mysterio, who entered as the final contestant. Bryan did not appear in the match, and fans voiced their displeasure by booing Bautista and the universally liked Mysterio. They also lit up the pair all over social media.

“The crowd tells you what they want,” Roberts said. “But again, Vince was doing what he wanted to do. And that hurt a guy like Rey and hurt Dave Bautista. Everything about it was wrong. I was hoping they would really do what’s best for business. But [the WWE] wants to show that they controlled the show, not the crowd.”

Roberts, the former WWE ring announcer who was with the company for twelve years, has confirmed plans to write a book about his WWE career. Though the date of publication and publisher are still undetermined, he will bring readers along for the ride of his incredible twelve-year journey with the WWE.

Read much more: http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/06/05/justin-roberts-wwe

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow this is a good read. Really a great insight into what Vince is thinking....
Ex-ring announcer Justin Roberts on WWE's politics, shortcomings
BY JUSTIN BARRASSO
Posted: Fri Jun. 5, 2015

Justin Roberts felt the pit in his stomach as soon as he walked into Pittsburgh's Consol Energy Center. It was the day of the 2014 Royal Rumble and something felt off. Sipping his second cup of coffee after a cross-country flight, the veteran WWE ring announcer couldn't believe what he was was reading. In his hands was a copy of the general script of the night's show, which he routinely read to prepare for the night's card. But the finish of the main event was not what he was expecting.

“The Royal Rumble was always my favorite pay per view, but that was a really weird night,” said Roberts. “I was sitting there at the show, thinking to myself, ‘Why can’t they just listen to the crowd?’”

Wrestling fans clamored for Daniel Bryan to win the Rumble and continue his quest toward WrestleMania, but WWE CEO Vince McMahon had other plans. Dave Bautista won the Rumble match, and fans were treated to the return of Rey Mysterio, who entered as the final contestant. Bryan did not appear in the match, and fans voiced their displeasure by booing Bautista and the universally liked Mysterio. They also lit up the pair all over social media.

“The crowd tells you what they want,” Roberts said. “But again, Vince was doing what he wanted to do. And that hurt a guy like Rey and hurt Dave Bautista. Everything about it was wrong. I was hoping they would really do what’s best for business. But [the WWE] wants to show that they controlled the show, not the crowd.”

Roberts, the former WWE ring announcer who was with the company for twelve years, has confirmed plans to write a book about his WWE career. Though the date of publication and publisher are still undetermined, he will bring readers along for the ride of his incredible twelve-year journey with the WWE.

Read much more: http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/06/05/justin-roberts-wwe

That's a great read.

Interesting that Roberts doesn't think Paul Levesque (HHH) is going to be the "great savior of wrestling" that some think he will be.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I don't know about great savior of wrestling but it's already 100% clear that he's got a better handle on things than Vince. You can easily see the things that he's got 100% control of being better.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Watched Ring of Honor last night (and a little bit of TNA). TNA actually was going well early on, but I'm still convinced that Russo is secretly employed by TNA and giving them booking directions and then you could see where his influence started to kick in and I got fed up and stopped watching.

Anyway, onto RoH

What Worked

2 weeks of intros with strong promos to start the show. This time from Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian.

Daniels/Kazarian's theme music.

Truth Martini who may or may not be the Grand Wizard, Ernie Roth, reincarnated. Holy crap does he look and sound and have the same facial mannerisms. That's a good thing, people.

I thought Kevin Kelly was more on point here. I believe this was from the same taping, so I'm not sure why he sounded duller in the previous show. Maybe he needed to wake up.

For what it's worth, they set up the table spot between Bob Evans and Cheeseburger really well. If this was Russo booking, they would have 17 chair shots and 3 different thumbtack spots and the crowd would not give a hoot about a table spot.

I remember the first time watching Lyger back in 1989 when Jesse Ventura said his moonsault was 'breathtaking.' Good to see that he's still a really darn good worker. Of course, the RoH crowd into Lyger is always nice to see.

What Didn't Work

Let's see, you finished the previous episode with 2 matches where the heels that were supposed to wrestle didn't. Now to start the show you have a babyface that can't wrestle in a tag match.

2 vs. 1 tag matches never really work out well anyway. In essence, the 1 guy should get dominated, but that will fall flat on the fans. The fans know this and sense it and when it doesn't happen, they don't really buy into it.

Lots of poor punches and forearms out there...particularly from Kyle O'Riley that wouldn't hurt a burn victim.

Trying to get a new audience into your product, it probably isn't the best idea to have comedy wrestlers like Lyger's opponent (can't remember his name, but he has a Liberace gimmick) and then following it up with the Cheeseburger vs. Bob Evans match.

The Lyger match went on for too long because while his opponent has a lot of upside (good athleticism and timing with a good look), he's still very green and doesn't have the in-ring skill to quite pull off the gimmick, much less go that long.

A match between 2 jobbers like Cheeseburger vs. Bob Evans can work if one them is really actually excellent in the ring and can hit some flashy spots, but doesn't have the 'look' and has been a jobber because of their look. Neither guy has that and the match was borderline awful. It's why Barry Horowitz was a jobber, he was fantastic at working with all sorts of guys and making them look like a million bucks, but he could never quite make himself look good.

No Karl Anderson on the mic. I'll give Gallows credit for trying to create a look, but he's still a stiff.

Overall, weaker show than the previous week. I also don't see my preferred version of booking what I call '4 Cornerstones Booking' where you take 4 wrestlers and focus the product around those wrestlers and keep them away from each other as much as you can. Don't book them to lose to anybody except for the other 3 guys.

So far, the only guys I see with a real focus on the booking is Jay Briscoe and *maybe* Jay Lethal.

YR

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

WWE releases statement on Brock Lesnar hitting fan with car door at Raw in Chicago

By Geno Mrosko@cagesideseats on Jul 8, 2015, 6:09p

RAW_1154_Photo_160-3989920813.0.0.jpg

Surely by now you've seen the video of Brock Lesnar breaking off the door of a Cadillac and throwing it into a small group of fans at the Allstate Arena in Chicago, Illinois on Monday Night Raw this week. If you haven't, you can watch it here.

Various rumors and reports have suggested the fan who was struck by the car door was buttered up by WWE in the form of free merchandise and a backstage pass. For its part, the company released a statement to the New York Daily News:

"WWE immediately responded to the incident during last night's show. The fan was unharmed and declined any medical attention."

All's well that ends well, it seems.

Hey, would you mind being the guy who can walk around saying he got hit by a car door that Brock Lesnar threw into the crowd at Raw that one time?

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/20...ck-lesnar-hitting-fan-with-car-at-raw-chicago

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ronda Rousey Says She Will “Definitely” Return To WWE
By Matt Boone on August 11, 2015

ronda-rousey-wm31-300x194.jpg

Rousey, who made a big splash within the pro wrestling community when she made a surprise appearance at WrestleMania 31 earlier this year, has been rumored to be part of the plans for WrestleMania 32, which takes place next year — coincidentally enough — at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

When asked during the “A.M.A.” chat earlier this week if she would ever return to WWE, Rousey replied: “Definitely. I loved being in WrestleMania and will find a way to get back in the squared circle.”

Rousey concluded, “I just have no clue when. And any real wrestling fan would want to be surprised anyway.”

Read more: http://www.mmanews.com/ronda-rousey-says-she-will-definitely-return-to-wwe/

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Are all those girls in that fighting company manly looking?

I've yet to see one that looked like she had more estrogen than testosterone.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Wish granted! WWE star John Cena to grant 500th Make-A-Wish request

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/...-cena-grant-milestone-500th-make-wish-request

It actually bothers me that I don't like John Cena. His character is so corny and if I were to ever attempt to get back into wrestling, he would likely be the biggest deterrent, but when it comes to athletes who are just great people, you'll be hard pressed to find one who does more. And it's not even like he comes across as a fake person, who is doing this for the publicity, he's just sooooo corny :mad:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Damien Sandow Returns As The Voice Of Common Sense
Posted by Brad Davis September 16, 2015

The intellectual savior of the masses is back. After shedding his most recent Macho Mandow gimmick, Damien Sandow dusted off his blue robe and made a triumphant return at Tuesday’s WWE SmackDown tapings from Little Rock, Arkansas.

In a dark match that took place prior to SmackDown, Sandow defeated “party pooper” Adam Rose.

Sandow cut a promo before the match telling the crowd that he’s back as the Voice of Common Sense, no longer a stunt double. He worked as a babyface.

Read more: http://www.24wrestling.com/damien-s...letter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=wwe

NickZepp

Reaction score
So I guess Sting will be in a World Championship Match this weekend? Is it 1995 or 2015?