Rate the last movie you saw

kmp77

Reaction score
TheCount;4131329 said:
Drive - 10/10
Aside from the parts where Gosling is wearing a mask for absolutely no reason, a perfect movie. The pacing is so well done and the soundtrack is absolutely perfect, if you were planning to see something else this weekend, cancel it and see this instead. ;)

Every review I've read said it was good. I saw some extended clips and seems well made. Definitely have to see this one.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;4131329 said:
Drive - 10/10
Aside from the parts where Gosling is wearing a mask for absolutely no reason, a perfect movie. The pacing is so well done and the soundtrack is absolutely perfect, if you were planning to see something else this weekend, cancel it and see this instead. ;)
I'd say 9/10. The mask served a very important purpose -- to be creepy as hell in the beach scene.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;4131562 said:
I'd say 9/10. The mask served a very important purpose -- to be creepy as hell in the beach scene.

I think it was more advertising than anything else, the company that makes those masks has made the news several times. One time some Asian dude got on a plan as himself in China (I think), changed into the mask and tried to get into America or something like that. There's videos of them all over Youtube. I'm guessing the company that makes them paid a nice fee to get it featured in the movie.

I just found out the directory also made Valhalla Rising, Bronson and the Pusher series and was hand picked by Gosling to direct. I didn't know I'd seen so much of his previous work.

golfergirl

Reaction score
X-men first class~8
Thor~9
Defiance~10
Narnia, Dawn Treader~8
The Ward~7
Rio~6

Those are in the past week, not to mention old "go to" movies we watch all the time like Dogma, Monty Python, 8 Crazy Nights, 007, etc...

Mash

Reaction score
I dont know....I watched Drive a few nights ago....

It wasnt a movie for me. I guess it was too Artsy for me....and I hated the ending.....made no sense imho

Music wasnt for me and actually my brother and I almost walked out of it.

Maybe I was expecting something else......

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Mash;4132395 said:

It wasnt a movie for me. I guess it was too Artsy for me....and I hated the ending.....made no sense imho

I could see that, maybe you were expecting something more like the Transporter series by Jason Statham?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;4132508 said:
I could see that, maybe you were expecting something more like the Transporter series by Jason Statham?
I described it to someone today as high brow Fast & Furious.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
Mash;4132395 said:

same.

Drive 5/10. I liked Ryan Gosling's character, but everyone else was flat and brought little to their character except many Shannon and Bernie.

The gratuitous female nudity was not necessary imo, and did not add to the scenes.

The feel of the movie reminded me a lot of No Country for Old Men, although I liked No Country better.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
I watched the classic A Star is Born, with Judy Garland. Pretty good considering I hate chick flicks and musicals....

I get down on Hollywood a lot, so a friend of mine recommended this. It was pretty cool and sort of shows the rise and fall of stars and how the structure can be sort of harsh. Of course, I'm a bit more analytical so there were things going on in the film I don't think she was watching.

All in all, 4 of 5. Beware: it's long.

golfergirl

Reaction score
Watched Drive Angry and Blood Rayne the Third Reich.

Both "paranormal horror" style movies.

Drive Angry was slow and drawn out, then went too fast at the end, but some of the action was decent, and the cars were the BEST! So I give it a 6.

Blood Rayne was based on the video game series, and set in **** Germany, it was goofy sometimes, and the nude sex scene at the cat house was uncalled for, but the action and violence was good, so I give it a 5.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
VietCowboy;4133328 said:
same.

Drive 5/10. I liked Ryan Gosling's character, but everyone else was flat and brought little to their character except many Shannon and Bernie.

The gratuitous female nudity was not necessary imo, and did not add to the scenes.

The feel of the movie reminded me a lot of No Country for Old Men, although I liked No Country better.

changing it to 9/10, I missed a lot the first time, and reading up on the scorpion and frog fable really changed how I'm viewing this movie.

I love this line

"My hands are dirty...that's okay, so are mine." LOVE LOVE

Love the last elevator scene where he stays on the elevator with the guy and she leaves. He realizes at that moment the stark difference in their life.

took away 1 for the gratuitous female nudity.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Contagion - 6/10. I'm not really sure what the point of this movie is except to go, look at this terrible thing that could happen...but not in too much detail because we're going to spend time on threads of our "story" that go nowhere. Actually 6/10 might be too high.

There's an entire sub"plot" with Jude Law that goes nowhere, and another with the chick from Inception (too lazy to look up her name) that is also forgotten for a long stretch and ends up being pretty meaningless. Really, the movie is a lot of subplots connected to a single idea (the contagion), but they are all over the place and the overall film is without any real cohesive structure or purpose.

Wimbo

Reaction score
Took my daughter to see Dolphin Tale today. I had low expectations going in, but I have to say I liked it. My daughter loved it. It's her new favorite movie. Sure, it is predictable, and it is full of cliches... But that is kind of true for most kids/family movies. Despite those things, I still liked it - Probably because I was with my 9 yr old daughter & seeing it (at least partly) through her eyes. Definitely not a 'guys night out' movie, but if you have kids, check out the matinee & leave you inner high-brow critic at home. B.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
VietCowboy;4133328 said:
same.

VietCowboy;4133709 said:
changing it to 9/10, I missed a lot the first time, and reading up on the scorpion and frog fable really changed how I'm viewing this movie.

I love this line

"My hands are dirty...that's okay, so are mine." LOVE LOVE

Love the last elevator scene where he stays on the elevator with the guy and she leaves. He realizes at that moment the stark difference in their life.

took away 1 for the gratuitous female nudity.
??????????

xout

Believer
Reaction score
Drive - 9.5 / 10 ... take away or quiet down the cheesy techno music and it would have been a perfect movie.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;4133911 said:
Moneyball 10/10

Must see. And that little girl is talented.

I'm not a big baseball guy, would you still recommend it? Looks interesting, but not even a big Jonah Hill fan either.