Twitter: Roger Goodell wants to permanently ban the tush push

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Some have tried, but either they don't have the QB to run it or they are running it wrong. The Eagles' backfield blockers get in there tight behind Hurts and shove hard trying to drive him forward. Most of the others I've seen do not have those backfield blockers do that. They may push a little or put their hands on the QB for support, but they do not try to drive him through the defense.
When we tried it...wasnt Pollard part of the pushing pack?

Why would you not designate a lineman or two as runners and have some strong beefy guys as pushers.

I dont think Philly would run it with Pollard if Pollard was there. I want to say they have beefy-er backs in when they do the tush push.

Pollard should not be a part of our tush push.

ghst187

Reaction score
First thing I agree with that moron about…
It’s a gross play, bad for the sport, bad to watch, and it helps the most evilest team the most…

Flamma

Reaction score
That used to be illegal.

I think the way to do it is to say that the play is dead and forward progress stopped any time an offensive player pushes or assists the runner. That way you don't have to "ban" any specific play or assess an unsportsmanlike penalty on a borderline judgement call. You just say, "play is dead, forward progress stopped" as soon as an offensive player makes any attempt to push or pull the ballcarrier.
It used to be illegal to push the ball carrier forward. Why did they remove the rule in the first place?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
you have to be honest with yourself!!!
He was. Look, just because a team can do something better than anyone else doesn't make it an immediate illegal maneuver.
What if the Cowboys perfected the tush push and the league wants to take it away.

You would be screaming from the mountain tops about how the NFL hates us and it wouldn't end for years.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When we tried it...wasnt Pollard part of the pushing pack?

Why would you not designate a lineman or two as runners and have some strong beefy guys as pushers.

I dont think Philly would run it with Pollard if Pollard was there. I want to say they have beefy-er backs in when they do the tush push.

Pollard should not be a part of our tush push.
Why even have the qb take the snap? Why not the FB or Tank, or another lineman?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
He was. Look, just because a team can do something better than anyone else doesn't make it an immediate illegal maneuver.
What if the Cowboys perfected the tush push and the league wants to take it away.

You would be screaming from the mountain tops about how the NFL hates us and it wouldn't end for years.
no i leave that to you, not that serious to me, only thing that would make me go to the mountains is my family!!

Kwyn

Reaction score
What would happen if a defense decided that they were just going to dogpile the center before the snap. Just pound them down while they are still in their stance.

3rd and 2 becomes 3rd and 1 becomes 3rd and .5 becomes 3rd and a foot.

Meanwhile, the center has two defensive tackles and an LB smashing them.

Not football play but it could become like hack-a-shaq.

Is it dangerous? Sure. Is it in the spirit of the game? Nope. Could someone try it? Yep.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
What would happen if a defense decided that they were just going to dogpile the center before the snap. Just pound them down while they are still in their stance.

3rd and 2 becomes 3rd and 1 becomes 3rd and .5 becomes 3rd and a foot.

Meanwhile, the center has two defensive tackles and an LB smashing them.

Not football play but it could become like hack-a-shaq.

Is it dangerous? Sure. Is it in the spirit of the game? Nope. Could someone try it? Yep.
It can be a read/option too where if the D alignment is to sell out, they call out.
They've done it before.
I dig the thought process though.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
If it does happen, the Iggles will win a ring before it comes into effect so it won't matter at that point

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honest question, and this is for everyone in favor of banning it, if we were the ones who came up with this play and were having the kind of success the Eagles are, would you be in favor of banning it?
Actually I didn’t get to finish my post. I did not get to go back and edit it yet.

it is a new style of play and no one has been getting hurt from it. So why ban it. The hip drop tackle actually hurts people. And it is still allowed.

When Bob Hayes set new standards in the pass game, it was not banned, defenses needed to adapt.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Lol. That's pretty funny coming from one of the biggest freak-out artists and thread starters of this board who loves to use CAPS.
actually you're the only freak that likes the eagles on here, and I can't use caps no more, (they don't want me to) you happy now??? lol