Twitter: Roger Goodell wants to permanently ban the tush push

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You shouldn’t be allowed to push players from behind who are ball carriers. The NCAA banned it years ago when USC did it vs Notre Dame.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Stupid

I don’t love the play, but I’m sick of this league and it’s tyrant banning something every time a player gets hurt or a teams gets an advantage. How about someone stop it instead of changing the rules?

I’ll never have any respect for that man. He’s a snake.
It takes control from him when it comes to fixing games! Vegas doesnt like it so.........
It also messes with parity which he loves, and for a dominant team to last too long when he doesnt want it to.
There is nothing wrong with philly using it.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I hate that the Eagles are the only team that is good at it, but that doesn’t mean it should be banned. Has anyone been injured on the play? I mean either everybody should get good at it or defenses should get better at stopping it.

There are piles that get pushed forward all the time. How are they going to ban this play and somehow not ban all pile movement?
They won’t ban the QB sneak, just the pushing part.

I don’t like to see an offensive player stopped then 3 of his teammates push him for 5 yards. Talk about unfair for the 1 defensive player trying to make the tackle.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If they do ban it, all this BS that’s being posted about the league favoring Philly will go up in smoke.

starman22

Reaction score
I’m not sure how I feel about this. I feel teams should be able to stop it. But if someone gets hurt doing it then it should be banned.
Players get hurt on all kind of different plays, why single this one out unless they are getting hurt at a higher rate than other plays, like the horse collar.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Bad idea. The question should be this -

Does the tush push cause a significantly higher amount of injuries compared to similar plays? No? Then it shouldn’t be banned.

You can’t go around banning plays just because a specific team is particularly good at them.

How about the other teams figure out how to stop it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Honest question, and this is for everyone in favor of banning it, if we were the ones who came up with this play and were having the kind of success the Eagles are, would you be in favor of banning it?
It wouldn't matter, because it would've been flagged the first time we ran it and every subsequent time. :laugh:

J/K...mostly.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Bad idea. The question should be this -

Does the tush push cause a significantly higher amount of injuries compared to similar plays? No? Then it shouldn’t be banned.

You can’t go around banning plays just because a specific team is particularly good at them.

How about the other teams figure out how to stop it.
My main problem with it is that it's very hard to see where the ball is when the QB's knee (or whatever body part might touch the ground first) touches. For that matter, it's hard to see when that body part touches the ground. That makes it too much of a judgement call, and people get screwed when the refs get to make decisions.

starman22

Reaction score
Assisting the ball carrier by pushing him is happening more and more in the NFL and collegiate level. It’s not just in short yardage or goal line instances. And it is making football different. The rule should be reverted back to what it was pre-2006.
That means that Jeff Heath would have stopped AD when we played 5 or so years ago before he scored a TD.