Twitter: Roger Goodell wants to permanently ban the tush push

Mannix

Reaction score
Close enough to be an effective analogy for those of you trying to get a perfectly valid play banned because you don't like Philly.

Looks cowardly to me to try and get this play banned.
Maybe....but any misfortune that they can receive should fully be encouraged....up to...and including....torn ACL's and MCL's for every Philly player....followed by collapsed bridges for fans heading back home from the game to comb their wives back hair. Yeah....I said it!!!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Stronger guys makes sense or it doesnt to you you? Or is it technique?

Dallas failed on it. Why?
It's more about technique. The blockers in the back have to get up there and push at the point of contact, so they help the forward momentum of the QB and help him brace against the contact.

Ours failed because we showed that the tush push was coming by alignment, but our guys in the back didn't really push. We kind of used a modified version Thursday, where Dak ran a sneak and Luepke followed him and shoved him forward at the end.

Philly has shown that you don't have to use linemen in the backfield to get it done and that using skill players allows you to still maintain the threat that it's not going to be a tush push. Of course, you've got to have a strong-legged QB and a couple of players back there who are willing to get up in there and push him.

plymkr

Reaction score
Players get hurt on all kind of different plays, why single this one out unless they are getting hurt at a higher rate than other plays, like the horse collar.
I agree, I don’t think I made my post as clear as I could have. I don’t feel they should ban it. I feel if someone like Hurts got injured doing it then they would ban it to protect the QBs. But I think it would take a Hurts injury. I was thinking more of a high priced QB got injured they would over react and ban. I poorly worded my post and didn’t communicate what I was thinking. I agree they single one play out. That’s why I said I don’t know how I feel about it.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Honest question, and this is for everyone in favor of banning it, if we were the ones who came up with this play and were having the kind of success the Eagles are, would you be in favor of banning it?
Asking again, since only 2 people answered the first time. Almost feels like you guys don't want to answer it.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder how some would feel if it were the Cowboys that came up with and used this “Tush Push” to the success the Eagles have had with it?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
What I’ve noticed, and some others may have noticed it as well, but on some running plays, I’ve seen where an RB is being pushed, or helped along by their teammates in piles. They get a scrum going and push the RB along. This has all been brought on by the tush push. I’m sure the league has noticed. The new rule will eventually be where you can’t push a player along, whether it be on a QB sneak or a running play.
I remember a couple of times early in Zeke's career that this happened and the play was called dead, even though the pile was still moving forward, neither were at the LOS, but a few yards down field. There was one in particular, I remember, Zeke's legs weren't even driving anymore, don't think his feet were even touching the ground, but the scrum kept moving forward. The play got called dead, Zeke basically was in the middle of a pile and was along for the ride with Zach, Fredbeard, and can't remember if it was Leary or Collins just muscling everything forward.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wonder how some would feel if it were the Cowboys that came up with and used this “Tush Push” to the success the Eagles have had with it?
They don't want to answer that. I've asked twice. Kinda tells ya what the answer is though.

DZSierra

Reaction score
I'm nothing to the NFL and I get it.

Logically, the ONLY way I can see the NFL banning the play is if they go back to the old ruling where a ball carrier can NOT be pushed forward for forward progress. There is no way they can make a "subsection" to the current rule just for a position on the field (the QB). That said, I'm also a realist in knowing that the NFL can really do anything it wants.

I get the fact that a lot of people don't see it as being a "football play", and perhaps that's why the fuhrer doesn't like it.

When you think about it, when a team comes up with a successful play that is allowed within the current rules of the NFL and you decide to ban it because people don't like it or because it's so successful, that is beyond idiocy. So, if the eagles were only 20% effective using the play, this most likely wouldn't even be an issue. Think about that... a rule is made only due to the fact that it's so successful for one team where all the other teams can't match that success rate. Someone else made the analogy that if you had a great field goal kicker who could kick a 70 yard field goal 90% of the time, what do you do? Make kicking a 70 yard field goals an illegal play?

Make pushing the ball carrier forward illegal, and I can logically see it. Make it that you can push everyone BUT the QB forward (just because of one teams success), total BS and a slippery slope which the NFL is already on but they can do it because of people like us who in some fashion, the NFL creates revenue.

DZSierra

Reaction score
Given the current rule where are you allowed to push the ball carrier, it's should be legal for every team that uses it.

Again, the only reason why this is causing such an uproar is because for whatever reason, only one team runs the play where it seems unstoppable.

Instead of a field goal kicker who can kick 75 yard field goals and make those kicks illegal, how about a wide recieve so fast he always get's open?

Luckily the furher may not like it, but he doesn't set the rules. Thing is though, sometimes the rule committe doesn't look at makes common sense, but looking more towards the money.

Sorry, something more important than the push tush the rules committee should look at is making a erroneous penalty call (either called or not called) reviewable by a flag thrown by a coach (something like they do now for receptions, fumbles, placement of the ball) but adding in making a penalty or lack of a penalty call reviewable as well. I think everyone can agree that the bigger issue with the NFL now is why the officiating is so blatantly "off" and horrible. That said, something like that would probably be determined to make the game too long. I don't give a ratt's butt if the eagles can run a successful legal play, but I do give a ratts butt on where the officiating seems to be going to.

JohnBoy

Reaction score
I’m not sure how I feel about this. I feel teams should be able to stop it. But if someone gets hurt doing it then it should be banned.
The slipperyest of slippery slopes. Any player can get hurt in every play, technique, scheme, tactic known to football. Gonna ban it all?

JohnBoy

Reaction score
Where's all the conspiracy cries that Goodell hates the Eagles, lol.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Asking again, since only 2 people answered the first time. Almost feels like you guys don't want to answer it.
It's a hard question to answer. On the one hand, losing a huge advantage would suck. On the other hand, I might feel like we were "cheating" in a way.

Without actually being in that position, I honestly don't know.