Twitter: Roger Goodell wants to permanently ban the tush push

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
Let’s do the Tush Push with Micah as QB and DLaw and Fowler as the RBs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What I’ve noticed, and some others may have noticed it as well, but on some running plays, I’ve seen where an RB is being pushed, or helped along by their teammates in piles. They get a scrum going and push the RB along. This has all been brought on by the tush push. I’m sure the league has noticed. The new rule will eventually be where you can’t push a player along, whether it be on a QB sneak or a running play.

coult44

Reaction score
If you ban this then why not ban any ball player getting pushed? Like when teams push their running back or receivers to the endzone or first down
They will. Up until about ten years ago it wasn’t allowed.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
I always thought there was a rule where play design could not include pushing a ball carrier? That’s why I was initially shocked when the Brotherly Shove wasn’t penalized when its popularity skyrocketed and received massive media attention. You can’t ban the QB sneak but you should ban the scrum push from behind. Someone will get hurt because some DC will figure out how to line up and stop it . Then you have 11 guys pushing from one side vs 10 guys pushing from the other with a QB stuck in the middle. You’re looking at a Travis Scott incident on national TV in front of millions of people……

coult44

Reaction score
That's where I stand. I think there's danger when you have all those bodies mashing together in a scrum, but until someone gets hurt, I have no proof that it's any more dangerous than a regular QB sneak.
If I were at the bottom of that scrum, i promise you someone wouldn’t get up with all their fingers intact, ankles untwisted, eyes gouged, or hands full of other parts. If they want that type of trash football, let’s play trash football.

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
What I’ve noticed, and some others may have noticed it as well, but on some running plays, I’ve seen where an RB is being pushed, or helped along by their teammates in piles. They get a scrum going and push the RB along. This has all been brought on by the tush push. I’m sure the league has noticed. The new rule will eventually be where you can’t push a player along, whether it be on a QB sneak or a running play.
Make sense, you can't assist runners by grabbing them or pulling them on them. Pushing seems the next logical step of that rule. Like no way Pollard would have gotten those extra yards he did in that one play if one of the lineman didn't assist him by pushing forward.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Or they may only allow pushing the ball carrier from behind the line of scrimmage to 5 yards (or whatever arbitrary number) past it. If they want to keep the tush push, they'll come up with some language that qualifies it, while disqualifying any other other similar play.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Make sense, you can't assist runners by grabbing them or pulling them on them. Pushing seems the next logical step of that rule. Like no way Pollard would have gotten those extra yards he did in that one play if one of the lineman didn't assist him by pushing forward.
We’re seeing it more and more where ball carriers are being pushed in scrums for extra yards.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Or they may only allow pushing the ball carrier from behind the line of scrimmage to 5 yards (or whatever arbitrary number) past it. If they want to keep the tush push, they'll come up with some language that qualifies it, while disqualifying any other other similar play.
You can bet it will be heavily discussed at the league meetings.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Now let me say this ...... I think its wrong for them to rule change this play out just because nobody can stop it.

But when your coach and your fans act like disgusting pieces of trash every game ........ well ....... it could not happen to a more deserving team to get screwed over.

reddyuta

Reaction score
this is dumb.its only Eagles who can execute this because their Oline knows how create pus in the right spot.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Honestly don’t know that it would matter. The actual tush push piece of the play seems to be pretty secondary to what the oline and Jalen are doing. Unless you had the qb sneak altogether Philly should still be able to execute.
100% agree. You are smart.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
When we tried it...wasnt Pollard part of the pushing pack?

Why would you not designate a lineman or two as runners and have some strong beefy guys as pushers.

I dont think Philly would run it with Pollard if Pollard was there. I want to say they have beefy-er backs in when they do the tush push.

Pollard should not be a part of our tush push.
I think the idea is that you want to keep the possibility of a fake open. The Eagles have used a variety of players in the backfield on it, but I believe all of them have been skill position players. For example, I think the had A.J. Brown back there against us. Brown is 6-1, 226. He's bigger than Pollard but not beefy. Think I read where DeAndre Swift was back there on one and believe I saw Kennett Gainwell back there as well, and he's smaller than Pollard.

It's not about the size of the players. It's about the push of the players. They've got to get in there to add to the mass. If they are just politely staying back and trying to push a little with their hands, it's not going to work.

pansophy

Reaction score
They won’t ban the QB sneak, just the pushing part.

I don’t like to see an offensive player stopped then 3 of his teammates push him for 5 yards. Talk about unfair for the 1 defensive player trying to make the tackle.
But only the eagles seem to benefit and there are other situations where lineman will push running backs in a pile forward. Do they ban that too?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I think the idea is that you want to keep the possibility of a fake open. The Eagles have used a variety of players in the backfield on it, but I believe all of them have been skill position players. For example, I think the had A.J. Brown back there against us. Brown is 6-1, 226. He's bigger than Pollard but not beefy. Think I read where DeAndre Swift was back there on one and believe I saw Kennett Gainwell back there as well, and he's smaller than Pollard.

It's not about the size of the players. It's about the push of the players. They've got to get in there to add to the mass. If they are just politely staying back and trying to push a little with their hands, it's not going to work.
Stronger guys makes sense or it doesnt to you you? Or is it technique?

Dallas failed on it. Why?