Romo's arm strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Its quite possible that number came from Favre's Combine and he throws faster now. What isn't in debate is that 57 mph is somehow a sub-average number. It may not be in Jeff George's league, but that might not be a bad thing. If you're consistantly having to thread the ball in tight spaces, you're probably doing something wrong.

I never said it was sub average. As a matter of fact I dont recall remarking on his arm strength before todady when i started hearing the favre comparisons

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Yeah thanks for linking again i missed it 1st time.

I believe Parcells talked about rotating backups in preseason. So I expect Henson will start next game.
I'm pretty sure Bledsoe will start but henson will likely go second next time. that will give us a little more to go on in this QB debate.

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
This write up about how Favre only threw 61 mph is crap. Maybe he threw it 61 mph left handed but I saw the MNF game last year and they had the speed gun on Favres throws and one came in at 76 mph. There were others that came in at over 70 mph to.

I think if Romo had anywhere even close to the velocity Favre did then he woudl have been drafted not UNDRAFTED. Guys with big time rockets don't come around that much.

Henson throwing close to 80 mph or at 80. Wouldt surprise me at all. He has a big cannon arm and can really zip it. Henson can throw a legit 70-80.

People I have talked to and stuff I have read they have said Henson has a stronger arm then Aikman did. And Aikman had a cannon thrown a ball at over 72 mph.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Wolverine said:
This write up about how Favre only threw 61 mph is crap. Maybe he threw it 61 mph left handed but I saw the MNF game last year and they had the speed gun on Favres throws and one came in at 76 mph. There were others that came in at over 70 mph to.

I think if Romo had anywhere even close to the velocity Favre did then he woudl have been drafted not UNDRAFTED. Guys with big time rockets don't come around that much.

Henson throwing close to 80 mph or at 80. Wouldt surprise me at all. He has a big cannon arm and can really zip it. Henson can throw a legit 70-80.

People I have talked to and stuff I have read they have said Henson has a stronger arm then Aikman did. And Aikman had a cannon thrown a ball at over 72 mph.

Honestly....who freakin' cares about arm strength to the degree that people seem to be?

Where is Jeff George?

Was Montana's arm strength legendary? Brady?

In fact, when you look at all of the superbowls that have been won, it's not those with cannon arms that have the most rings, I don't think. Favre has a couple as does Elway. Fouts? Marino? etc.

Give me the accuracy over the arm strength....

Also, some with the arm strength rely on it too much to their detriment as well....so let's not forget that either.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Favre threw the ball at 66 mph on MNF in the Titans game last year. Not 76. If 57 is the 2nd fastest throw clocked at this year's combine, I have an extremely difficult time believing anyone has clocked 80 in a previous class. That's like a 30% differential. Put a 30% differential in any other skill, and its absurd. A 30% differential from a 4.2 40 yard dash is a 3.0.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I'm pretty sure Bledsoe will start but henson will likely go second next time. that will give us a little more to go on in this QB debate.

Yeah I meant second when I talked about them rotating. I have no Idea why I said start LOL

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Wolverine said:

Thank you I knew I wasnt crazy LOL

Wolverine

Zimmer Hater
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Favre threw the ball at 66 mph on MNF in the Titans game last year. Not 76. If 57 is the 2nd fastest throw clocked at this year's combine, I have an extremely difficult time believing anyone has clocked 80 in a previous class. That's like a 30% differential. Put a 30% differential in any other skill, and its absurd. A 30% differential from a 4.2 40 yard dash is a 3.0.

I saw 76 on one from Favre. And others at over 70 mph. Please don't even try and tell us Romo has anywhere near the arm of Favre. Your lookin foolish.

I saw nuff of both Henson and Romo throw last year and what really stood out was how Henson got the ball there alot faster then Romo did.

Also. When Henson was just 16 in HS he pitched for his baseball team. The went pretty far. In the game Henson won he struck out 20 of 21 batters he faced and even going into the 7th inning his fastball was clocked at 98 mph.

It really doesnt take much to see Henson throws alot harder then Romo.

Next thing I guess we will hear is how Romos arm is stronger then Favres ever was. :laugh2:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I saw 76 on one from Favre. And others at over 70 mph.
Source please.

I list sources. I've listed sources to show Romo threw 57. I've showed sources that 57 mph was the 2nd fastest time at this combine. Other people can start doing the same instead of "I read it on a blog somewhere" or "I saw it one time". I googled Favre 76 mph, and couldn't find it anywhere. You would think such a remarkable achievement would have generated some buzz on a messageboard or something. I find Favre's 66 mph pass against the Titans talked about several places.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I watched Calico's vids and I thought Romo clearly had the best game. He got back and set up more. He was more fuild and appeared more confident. His passes got out quickly although I would agree they looked slower than some of Henson's. But my opinion is that Romo had much better field presence and definitely played better including stats. JMO but you can't argue with the fact he moved the team better although the team torpedoed all the QBs with penalties and the OL sucked.

I think Nors has presented his case well and with civility. I don't think he has been shown the same IMO.

And no I don't have an agenda. I'm pulling for them all. I want everyone to do well. I want Parcells to have a near nervous breakdown making decisions on who to cut.

I think we will see the same three another week at least and I see no real reason to bring a vet in right now.

And if Bledsoe plays as poorly next week and Romo continues to play well I suspect you will have the beginning of a media blitz about a QB controversy.

I don't think Parcells thinks Romo can beat Bledsoe but the two are closer to each other than I ever imagined. And Henson played well enough. albeit poorly IMO, to feel secure for now.

Smith22

Reaction score
1) Arm strength isn't everything.

2) If anyone who saw our agame against the Cards thinks that Romo had the better arm I would say they either didn't really watch the QB's playing or they our EXTREMELY biased.

3) I liked what I saw from both Romo and Henson in the game and I'm anxious to see them flip flop this week and see how they play. I want more accuracy from Henson and more pop from Romo.

scottsp

Reaction score
This thread is a bunch of BS. A lot of these clockings are ridiculous.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I did watch the game, Ben and if Romo outperformed Henson, it wasn't by much. At least that's my opinion.

Henson did just fine with the opportunities he was given. I know you said they both did good... I just wanted to point out that I don't think Romo was significantly better than Henson... not significantly, anyway.

One thing we do agree on... Bledsoe now scares the heck out of me. He looked bad.

That pat, pat, pat noise has the potential to haunt my dreams... akin to Freddie Kruger squeaking his fingernail blades on metal.

Long dark hallway. Closed doors on each side, with the end of the hallway fading to black in the dim distance. pat, pat, pat... pat, pat, pat. Followed by a sadistic laugh and my vision spinning as I run.

pat, pat, pat...

I didn't say Romo blew Henson's performance away ... but he did manage the game better. Period.

About Bledsoe ... this is going to be a long season if he isn't coached out of some of those things. He's got to learn to throw the ball away ... or hit someone, but you can't sit back there and curl up every time and take the sack.

The reason I'm worried about Bledsoe is becaue I'm worried about our line being able to consistantly provide protections. They looked horrible. None of our QB's got the protection they needed. And Bledsoe needs protection ... if he doesn't get it, we're screwed.

I'm surprisingly disappointed at our O line play ...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Favre is the guy he was comparing to and The "speed indicator" on Monday night football showed his pass in the high 70's not close to Henson. As for the Henson thing I read it on a blog and subtracted 10 for hype sake because 80 sounded unreasonable

This is something totally different that we're talking about here... I remember what you're talking about ... but this isn't what we're talking about ... stay on topic please.

Second Making a mistake on what I read and posted is not untrue its a mistake I am almost positive you have made plenty

Tony Romo has a very strong arm - true.

As for Arizona scrubs I never once said that word, I said 2nd team which is an undeniable fact. So please quit making things up. Its obvious you have a crush on Romo its all good I have no problem with either QB I just know which one has more talent.

I have a serious question ... do you live in a place where they televise the games? And if so, were you able to watch it?

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Romo impresses at Indy
By Matthew Stevens/ Sports Reporter
Published: Tuesday, February 25, 2003
Article Tools: Page 1 of 1

Media Credit: Stephen Haas
Eastern senior Tony Romo excelled at the arm strength and IQ tests at the NFL combine. Romo was clocked at 57 mph during throwing drills and answered 37 out of the 50 questions correctly on the IQ test.

Eastern quarterback Tony Romo must have appreciated being in Indianapolis this weekend because at the NFL combine held in the racing capital of the world, he did everything fast.

"I wanted to show everyone that speed wasn't a problem," Romo said. "This was excatly why I worked so hard for two weeks in Florida, and it payed off."

The NFL prospect was placed in the second group Sunday afternoon along with Southern California's Carson Palmer, Louisville's Dave Ragone and Texas' Chris Simms.

Romo earned the second-fastest time in the shuttle run and was timed at 4.9 seconds in the 40-yard-dash.

"Basically, that's why I went to Florida, to increase my speed, and I feel like I'm a completely different player since I left," Romo said.

Romo impressed even himself during the IQ test by answering correctly 37 of 50 questions in only 12 minutes. The highest score last season during the combine was 41 and most quarterbacks only got through 22 questions.

"The whole point of the test was to see how quickly you can process the information given," Romo said.

The 2002 Walter Payton Award winner astonished many scouts in throwing drills after being clocked at 57 mph, which is impressive compared to future Hall of Fame Green Bay Packer quarterback Brett Farve's 61 mph.

"My arm strength has gotten much stronger since my last game at Eastern," Romo said.

Romo has a freakin' cannon.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:

Hey genius, what's so funny? Read this ... and weep ... Mr. Smiley face. :laugh2:

Romo impresses at Indy
By Matthew Stevens/ Sports Reporter
Published: Tuesday, February 25, 2003
Article Tools: Page 1 of 1

Media Credit: Stephen Haas
Eastern senior Tony Romo excelled at the arm strength and IQ tests at the NFL combine. Romo was clocked at 57 mph during throwing drills and answered 37 out of the 50 questions correctly on the IQ test.

Eastern quarterback Tony Romo must have appreciated being in Indianapolis this weekend because at the NFL combine held in the racing capital of the world, he did everything fast.

"I wanted to show everyone that speed wasn't a problem," Romo said. "This was excatly why I worked so hard for two weeks in Florida, and it payed off."

The NFL prospect was placed in the second group Sunday afternoon along with Southern California's Carson Palmer, Louisville's Dave Ragone and Texas' Chris Simms.

Romo earned the second-fastest time in the shuttle run and was timed at 4.9 seconds in the 40-yard-dash.

"Basically, that's why I went to Florida, to increase my speed, and I feel like I'm a completely different player since I left," Romo said.

Romo impressed even himself during the IQ test by answering correctly 37 of 50 questions in only 12 minutes. The highest score last season during the combine was 41 and most quarterbacks only got through 22 questions.

"The whole point of the test was to see how quickly you can process the information given," Romo said.

The 2002 Walter Payton Award winner astonished many scouts in throwing drills after being clocked at 57 mph, which is impressive compared to future Hall of Fame Green Bay Packer quarterback Brett Farve's 61 mph.

"My arm strength has gotten much stronger since my last game at Eastern," Romo said.

Romo has a freakin' cannon.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
http://football.about.com/b/a/150369.htm

March 01, 2005
Eye on the NFL Scouting Combine
It's amazing what 40 yards of green concrete can do for an NFL Draft prospect's prospects. A player's perceived value fluctuates on the basis of just a tenth of a second, and a small fortune can be gained or lost depending on the straight-line speed he displays in pre-draft workouts. The NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, which winds down Tuesday with the linebackers and defensive backs closing out the show, is often a springboard for football players to jump from the low-rent district to the Park Avenue penthouse, and in some cases vice versa.

But what the NFL scouting combine also yields is an opportunity for middle-of-the-road prospects and small-school talent to open the eyes of scouts and coaches around the league. And as is usually the case each year, there are some intriguing stories coming out of this year's event.

Perhaps the most interesting is that of Arkansas quarterback Matt Jones, who is projected to the wide receiver position in the NFL. Personally, I think he has H-back or tight end written all over him, but either way, he's really displayed some terrific athletic skills for a guy his size.. Heck, he's displayed great skills for a guy any size.

Jones, who stands 6-6 and weighed in at 242 pounds, made scouts take notice by ripping off a blistering 4.41 in the 40, the fastest ever by a quarterback at the combine. He also showed off a nice 39.5" vertical during his workout. Another guy who could be moved to the tight end position in the NFL is 265-pound Brandon Jacobs of Southern Illinois, who clocked in at a solid 4.60.

One of the top sleepers in this draft is former Florida State quarterback Adrian McPherson, who honed his skills in the Arena Football League after being forced out of the Seminoles' football program because of off-field issues. McPherson displayed nice velocity, posting the second fastest timed passes at the Combine with a speed of 57.2mph. He also displayed his athletic ability by posting second best among all quarterbacks in the broad jump and vertical jump while finishing fourth in the shuttle and fifth in the 40. However, it was his arm strength and accuracy that had scouts buzzing.

Status
Not open for further replies.