Romo's arm strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Well I am not going to get into the madness that is the Romo Vs Henson agenda fest.

However....Romo is a Part-Time Golfer per his own words. He said once the camps and season starts he will not play again until the offseason.

Now with that little tidbit out of the way....

xQBthread.jpg

:p:

Hey Mr. Paint, this is about Romo's arm strenght not Henson vs Romo ..

What do you think about Romo's arm?

Did you read about his performance at the combine?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You gave the hook to my Skunk SigPic. What's up with that? I really liked that one.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Banned_n_austin said:

How could I miss it....it was only posted 20 times :D

I will have to see it for myself as I did not get to see this past game.
However to be fair if memory serves he did make some nice deep throws last preseason and Aikman was doing the broadcast on this last game and said seeing him in practice if you did not know it you would think Romo was a 1st or 2nd round pick.

I will keep an eye on it during this next game.

Personally I will be happy if EITHER of these two guys pan out to be the next great QB for the Dallas Cowboys.

Now I will admit that I find it hard to believe that his arm strength is just under Brett Favres as Brett has been known as on of the strongest in that area.

At the same time something should be considered....Romo went undrafted...Henson after being out of football for years still was drafted and then traded for with a 3rd round pick...chances are the kid had a pretty strong arm and at the very LEAST the physical tools to make NFL teams look at him, draft him and trade for him compared to Romo who went undrafted.

That does not mean henson is the better QB right now or down the road, but it should say his physical stature and ability should be held in a little higher standard then romo.

Time will tell.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Romo was late and fluttered a deep pass to Crayton.

That was a "nothing to lose" pass ... and it was catchable ...

Romo had nothing on a 20+ yard skinny post that almost got picked.

Did it get picked? Almost doesn't count in football ... :mule:

Henson had TOO MUCH on a similar route to Smith at the goal line.

Touch is not such a bad thing ...

Henson had an out route with a DL in his grill where he out threw the coverage.

Why are you making this into a Henson vs. Romo thread ... the title is "Romo's arm strength" ... seems like you don't like Romo because he's beating out your precious ...

Come back when you actually know something about the game.:rolleyes:

This coming from a guy who says measuring speed has nothing to do with science ...

This is what people say when they have nothing else to say ... BlindZebra goes to a preseason game and now he's become the litmus test to all things.

:bow:

I bow to you omniscient ... er ... I mean ignorant one ...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
How could I miss it....it was only posted 20 times :D

I will have to see it for myself as I did not get to see this past game.
However to be fair if memory serves he did make some nice deep throws last preseason and Aikman was doing the broadcast on this last game and said seeing him in practice if you did not know it you would think Romo was a 1st or 2nd round pick.

I will keep an eye on it during this next game.

Personally I will be happy if EITHER of these two guys pan out to be the next great QB for the Dallas Cowboys.

Now I will admit that I find it hard to believe that his arm strength is just under Brett Favres as Brett has been known as on of the strongest in that area.

At the same time something should be considered....Romo went undrafted...Henson after being out of football for years still was drafted and then traded for with a 3rd round pick...chances are the kid had a pretty strong arm and at the very LEAST the physical tools to make NFL teams look at him, draft him and trade for him compared to Romo who went undrafted.

That does not mean henson is the better QB right now or down the road, but it should say his physical stature and ability should be held in a little higher standard then romo.

Time will tell.

4 mph throwing a football is a lot of difference actually ... but it's close enough to make the comparison and show that he does have an NFL caliber arm ...

And if you saw the game ... I think you'd really like the way Romo looked ...

Henson didn't look bad either ...

Romo went to a division II school ... those guys never get any love in the draft ...

It's no big deal to me though ... as long as he's experienced playing the game .. he can adjust ... especially when he's got the physical ability like he has ...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
Romo went to a division II school ... those guys never get any love in the draft ...
Sorry Ben, that's silly.

Demarcus Ware

Jerry Rice

Steve McNair

Just to name a few. That's hardly a "never."

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You gave the hook to my Skunk SigPic. What's up with that? I really liked that one.

I want Henson to do good during the preseason ... he's a Cowboy so I thought I'd give that a rest for a while ...

It wasn't something I had to do, but something I wanted to do to give the bastid a chance ...

I'm not sitting here telling you Henson played bad ... I'm just not gonna lie for the guy though ... he didn't play great either ...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Sorry Ben, that's silly.

Demarcus Ware

Jerry Rice

Steve McNair

Just to name a few. That's hardly a "never."

Exactly. But that was the knock on Romo ... you still hear that reference that he went to a small school when the Henson vs Romo debate ensues ...

Like I said, I don't really care. But the reference is made (and for good reason sometimes) all the time ...

BTW, you can add Larry Allen to that list too ...

And you can't tell me that teams don't use that as a strike against players, especially a QB, when they are evaluating who they are going to draft ...

blindzebra

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
That was a "nothing to lose" pass ... and it was catchable ...

Did it get picked? Almost doesn't count in football ... :mule:

Touch is not such a bad thing ...

Why are you making this into a Henson vs. Romo thread ... the title is "Romo's arm strength" ... seems like you don't like Romo because he's beating out your precious ...

This coming from a guy who says measuring speed has nothing to do with science ...

This is what people say when they have nothing else to say ... BlindZebra goes to a preseason game and now he's become the litmus test to all things.

:bow:

I bow to you omniscient ... er ... I mean ignorant one ...

You brought up that NEITHER QB had any throws to judge arm strength, I gave you examples, and you throw a hissy because I mentioned Henson.

And you have the sack to call me ignorant.

I really like the personal insults you are throwing around, but then again I'm the childish one and the troll.:rolleyes:

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:

Actually I-AA, Div II is even lower on the pecking order. Give the Eastern Illinois Panthers some love!

ncaab_easternillinoispanthers.jpg

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
You brought up that NEITHER QB had any throws to judge arm strength, I gave you examples, and you throw a hissy because I mentioned Henson.

And you have the sack to call me ignorant.

I really like the personal insults you are throwing around, but then again I'm the childish one and the troll.:rolleyes:

You said measuring speed isn't science ... that is what it is - ignorant. There is no better word to describe it ...

Nothing personal though if you took it that way. If I were you I'd try to learn something from that ... the radar gun measurment is a scientific measurement.

Romo has a great arm and it pysses you off because your ostrich spectator assesment doesn't hold a drop of water ...

And I didnt throw a hissy ... I was just pointing out that you were straying from the topic at hand ...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I want Henson to do good during the preseason ... he's a Cowboy so I thought I'd give that a rest for a while ...

It wasn't something I had to do, but something I wanted to do to give the bastid a chance ...

I'm not sitting here telling you Henson played bad ... I'm just not gonna lie for the guy though ... he didn't play great either ...

Yeah... so..... when ya gonna put it back up?

~stands impatiently tapping foot on floor~

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I saw the game and admit that Henson threw the ball harder than Romo did. But that does not mean that Romo CAN'T throw the ball hard...it just means that he DIDN'T. And given his completion ratio and seeing some of the touch passes that he threw it was probably a good thing that he didn't throw hard. There were no passes that didn't reach their mark and there were none that seemed to die due to lack of strength. Romo threw the passes at the appropriate velocity and with the appropriate touch.

In fact if anything Henson's performance raises the question, "Can HE throw a touch pass or do they all have to come like they are shot from a cannon?" That can be just as important you know.

As for Nors bringing up this post again I think it appropriate since so many people have latched onto and are harping on this ridiculous arm strength issue for Romo. It demonstrates that Romo CAN throw a 57 mph football and all last night demonstrates is that he can throw it softer if he needs to. Last night he didn't need to cut it loose, maybe next game he will.

You're 100% right.

:bravo:

Someone who looked at the game fairly and is giving a fair opinion ...

Much respect, Jackmagist.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
I atched the game and I believe Henson had the better game as has been shown numerous times by most everyone on here

You were doing the ostrich spectating thing with the others, eh?

:laugh2:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I agree 100%.

BTW, where did you get these clips from Calico? Do you have a link?

Things like this are good for the board so people know what's really going on, instead of just taking the ostrich spectators word for it ...

I'd really appreciate a link ..

Sorry been up to no good all day instead of peeking into the forum frequently.

Here's the post and another kudo to Calico for posting the great videos. BTW I'm on the east coast and I'm not getting any post game playback here. Sux.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31632

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Those MPH stats are average. Guys like Favre and Henson, and other guys with big arms throw around 70-80 MPH

:bang2:

This is a big pile of steamy, smelly, sweaty, rotten, flat out wrong Bull Feces ....

Get your facts straight, especially before you start acting like a smart arse ...

You don't know jack.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
You said measuring speed isn't science ... that is what it is - ignorant. There is no better word to describe it ...

Nothing personal though if you took it that way. If I were you I'd try to learn something from that ... the radar gun measurment is a scientific measurement.

Romo has a great arm and it pysses you off because your ostrich spectator assesment doesn't hold a drop of water ...

And I didnt throw a hissy ... I was just pointing out that you were straying from the topic at hand ...

The act of measuring can be scientific, it does not mean it is scientific fact.

I can go out and mark X number of feet out with a line at each end. I can have someone throw a ball from one line to the other and I can "measure" how fast the throw was with a stop watch.

That does not make it accurate.

When they run a 40 you get different times from different measuring devices and all it is, anyway is information. It does not mean squat in real game situations.

Radar guns vary, whoever is running it varies.

You can measure a Clemens fastball in a game and it's 98 MPH, I'll bet you could walk up to Roger and say just wing it and he will without a doubt be able to throw it FASTER than he would facing a batter.

All science is based on the empirical method, and that is based on OBSERVING.

Get it?

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Why do you keep posting this link? It has nothing to do with the exact speed Nors said Favre threw at I want that link

Because if you bother to read that link it says exactly this:

"The 2002 Walter Payton Award winner astonished many scouts in throwing drills after being clocked at 57 mph, which is impressive compared to future Hall of Fame Green Bay Packer quarterback Brett Farve's 61 mph."

Status
Not open for further replies.