Roy Williams Trade 2.0

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Here's what this move boils down to, the whole organization is all in on Dak. You don't make this move if you don't believe in the QB.

Or unless you want to give him every opportunity to succeed before throwing him on the junk pile. You have some hope for OL improvement this year. These are guys (kinda like Dak) that have performed well in the past or guys that are still developing.

That said, without an upgrade at the skill positions (and even assuming you DO see an uptick in play from the OL) it’s hard to say you’re evaluating Dak in a fair environment. This move begins to address that.

Dre11

Reaction score
Here’s where it is the same. We mortgaged the future for a good but not great WR...at midseason. Not the offseason when they knew they needed a receiver.

Stupid.

How the hell did we mortgage the future? They probably was looking to use a 1 on a wr this draft anyway, there is no wr in the draft you would say is better, so they took him now and he's established.

waving monkey

Reaction score
...I have to disagree here. Judging the book by the cover. Lets see what he brings. In best case, he might be what the Dr ordered. Worst case, he will be just avg. Im kinda excited about this.
Praxit your asking too much. We are a board of cover readers particularly well you know

Brooksey

Reaction score
I can agree with that, but it’s a waste because of Dak and we gave away a first.

This offense is so pathetic we were going WR 1st round anyway with Dak on year 5 of his contract. Cooper is a top 5 pick, very young talented guy. It's a long shot to think we were going to get someone of his talent mid-round next year.

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
Roy was 100 percent washed up when he got to Dallas this Kid is 24.. Stop reaching.

khiladi

Reaction score
This offense is so pathetic we were going WR 1st round anyway with Dak on year 5 of his contract. Cooper is a top 5 pick, very young talented guy. It's a long shot to think we were going to get someone of his talent mid-round next year.

Well the silver lining is that the list of excuses get shorter for Dak...

khiladi

Reaction score
Roy was 100 percent washed up when he got to Dallas this Kid is 24.. Stop reaching.

Washed up when two years prior, in his third season, he was in the pro bowl, coming off his best season at 1300 yards?

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Cooper is a lot better than Roy Williams when Dallas made that trade.

Actually, if it were Cooper available, with his speed and ability instead of Williams, I'd actually take that trade for that particular team. Dallas was missing a fast guy that could get separation to take the heat off TO. Cooper would've been that. Romo could've worked with Cooper.

But, while Cooper's a better player, the damage of losing the first rounder this year is just as bad as it was then. Dallas was better off seeing where it fell in the draft than to get a guy that may improve the WR's but won't be enough of a factor to win games.

Perhaps a better player, but potentially the same long term damage, especially if the Cowboys botch the draft next year like they did then.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Yeah, i'm just about there. I just need to let off steam.

Can't wait to see how valuable the draft pick is really going to be vs what we get out of Amari.
He’ll probably be as effective as Galloway...nice weapon on a dysfunctional team. I can’t wait for that draft to get here. “Ahhh...there’s goes my new LT.”

khiladi

Reaction score

Just as an aside, just confirmed Dak has a four year contract and no option for a fifth year extension. So it’s four years.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper is a lot better than Roy Williams when Dallas made that trade.

Actually, if it were Cooper available, with his speed and ability instead of Williams, I'd actually take that trade for that particular team. Dallas was missing a fast guy that could get separation to take the heat off TO. Cooper would've been that. Romo could've worked with Cooper.

But, while Cooper's a better player, the damage of losing the first rounder this year is just as bad as it was then. Dallas was better off seeing where it fell in the draft than to get a guy that may improve the WR's but won't be enough of a factor to win games.

Perhaps a better player, but potentially the same long term damage, especially if the Cowboys botch the draft next year like they did then.

That is a hair splitting opinion. Amari is 2 full seasons removed from his pro bowl appearance. This was a steep price for a reclamation project.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Stupid is what stupid does ......... and we are sooooo freaking stupid I cannot even express how pissed off I am right now. This FO has learned nothing over the years from its mistakes which is why we haven't had 2 consecutive 10 win season in forever.

So, now we bring in a guy whose not having a good year.......didn't have a good year last year..............has no familiarity with the offense or chemistry with Dak. But, he's going to come here and do what for us exactly?

What a bonehead move.

Huh? Roy Williams? Not nearly the same player at this stage.

cowboyec

Reaction score
disagree...we gave up multiple picks for a older player.
not popular for me to say but I think Cooper is just getting started...change will do him good...plus we only gave up 1 draft pick.
if Im wrong,I'll own it.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
This is literally the Roy Williams trade. Former top 10 pick, physically gifted but lazy dude, had one or two good years... it just makes me sick thinking about it.

You KNOW what's going to freaking happen. We're going to sign Cooper to an extension after the season cause you don't give up a first for a guy unless you plan on paying him, he's going to underproduce in our struggling pass game, the lack of production and guaranteed money's going to make him kick it into neutral, and we'll cut him after 3 seasons and eat a ton of dead cap.

And we had freaking Romo throwing the ball to Williams and it still blew up on us. This is even more doomed to fail. Screw me.

:hammer:

Or...I can see this being such a disaster...we will be forced to let him walk in a year in free agency...and have nothing to show for a #1 pick.:banghead:

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
That is a hair splitting opinion. Amari is 2 full seasons removed from his pro bowl appearance. This was a steep price for a reclamation project.

I agree, the price is too steep. As I did say there.

Even if he is a better player than Williams was then, I don't think he's worth it on this team, and I don't see him helping.

Hope I'm wrong.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Huh? Roy Williams? Not nearly the same player at this stage.

Its really not that complicated. You can't support your argument with actual stats but everyone's got an opinion. Roy was apparently more valuable b/c we gave up more in that trade.