CZ POLL Should Jason Garrett be fired?

Should Jason Garrett be fired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think I'm the last holdout. I have been steady in saying give Garrett time to fix it but I think I'm finally done. Him marinelli and linehan all can go. And hell if Dak is only good with Zeke and can't do nothing by himself he can go too for all i care
Aikman lost first two games with no Smith, and he had a sb team!

I would prefer whole staff go at same time as jg.
And also after season ends.
I think it might be ok to try linehan as interim coach.

If Dallas loses 1 or 2 more games then it would be OK to fire jg cause rest of games won't matter.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Aikman lost first two games with no Smith, and he had a sb team!

I would prefer whole staff go at same time as jg.
And also after season ends.
I think it might be ok to try linehan as interim coach.

If Dallas loses 1 or 2 more games then it would be OK to fire jg cause rest of games won't matter.
Jimmy Johnson admitted he didn't prepare team properly, thinking Emmitt would be signed by start of season, at least he admitted it and shows how much coaching is a factor...........

pansophy

Reaction score
no HC is perfect.
but what we are talking about is the wholesale gutting of a DB backfield.
the reason was they were no good and waste of money.
the former starters leave the system and become top-10 type DBs else where.
they cannot judge talent.
furthermore, recklessly jeopardized the season by counting on SEVERAL rookies becoming good players in year 1.
many here and press pointed out the risk of this as it was happening.
just to think, the risk could have be mitigated by signing carr for 6M/yr instead of carroll for 3M/yr.
now carroll is 4M dead money and carr is playing like a top 10 DB who has been historically healthy and available throughout his career.
instead they went and played fantasy football like amateurs instead of veteran coaches who understand the jump from college to pro.
All true, but we didn't go on a 3 game losing streak because of that. It was Smith, Zeke, and Lee being out that was too much to overcome.

Agree we horrible at adjustments but I can't remember a time that we have been good at them.

waldoputty

Reaction score
All true, but we didn't go on a 3 game losing streak because of that. It was Smith, Zeke, and Lee being out that was too much to overcome.

Agree we horrible at adjustments but I can't remember a time that we have been good at them.

i agree losing players was too much to overcome.
my point is even if that did not happen, this team is not optimal.
we got our butts handed to us in denver because our offensive scheme requires too much time to pass.
zeke being suspended only exaggerated that shortcoming.
then the marinelli scheme failings are too many to list, and i already listed it a few times.
i was not for firing garrett last season or 2015.
however, i have seen the light.
he just does not have the mental ability, drive, fire or passion to make this team a championship team.
unless we have 10 probowlers and starting quality backups across the board.
and even then he could get outcoached and screw up the clock management in a close game.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Video is relevant because it shows in-game adjustments and coaching of players that I haven't seen on our sideline like this. This is the edge that wins and loses football games in a parity driven league.

rpntex

Reaction score
Summary of Why Garrett Must Go - When we won, it was because of overwhelming talent. When talent suffers, we get disaster - so he is great at tanking to bring in talent.

1. Lack of game adjustments - And that includes adjusting to the opponent's half time adjustments. Also fail to fix problems from game to game - Aaron Rodgers took advantage of the defensive rotation 2 years in a row in the playoffs? Because our defense refuses to adjust to the problem - how incredibly stupid is that? You can blame Marinelli, but does Garrett know/do nothing. Just claps and does not work with the DC??? Jimmy Johnson would never have allowed that. They allowed Green to give up a record number of sacks in one game and Dak has played much worse recently (any correlation?). Time management mistakes keep occurring with no plan to do better. Playcalling had to be taken away from him.
2. Makes players worse - The defense put the players in a position to fail. Play DBs 10 yards back is insane. Good QBs pick it apart.
3. Cannot diagnose defensive problems - They literally blamed the DBs for failure instead of recognizing it is the scheme or pass rush etc. They then sold management to the point that Stephen Jones bad mouthed the players they allowed to leave, only to have these players play much better for other teams.
4. Cannot recognize DB talent - Carr and Mo became top 10 rated after leaving - so they cannot recognize what they had. We blame it on Marinelli - but what then does Garrett do - does he know nothing while the DC is incompetent? Furthermore, they allowed Carr and Mo to leave for pretty low $ contracts that would have been bargains - particularly given their performance as top 10 DBs now.
5. Blame game culture - Garrett is never at fault... Garrett sold management about the failure of the defense being the DBs, not the scheme and coaching. Garrett throws Dak under the bus. Garrett makes excuses about time management failures in interviews that were so ridiculous that Jerry Jones corrected those comments afterwards.
6. Allows Marinelli to control drafting talent - Watt was no good because he does not fit perfectly into the scheme. Mcclay was put in place to referee between scouting and coaches. It appears Marinelli vetoed based on his scheme.
7. Time management disasters and no apparent attempt to address these definitively
8. What exactly does Garrett do. He is not a x and o guy. He lets Marinelli run the defense. Linehan calls the offense plays. The only thing left is designing the offense - but that has not changed much recently. What does Garrett do? Chief cheerleader clapper? Culture police? We have people for working with difficult players.
9. Lack of passion in solving problems - problems happen and do not get addressed. Time management, being tricked by Rodgers, Marinelli's failures. What HC would allow these failures to continue? Garrett does.
10 During the draft, when a D pick is coming up. Marinelli is there talking to FO, not Garrett. Same with O picks - Garrett does not seemed involved either. What is his role? Would Jimmy Johnson be so standoffish? Jimmy would be frantically studying players and running the show. Garrett seems to just coast - He may just be a lazy politician.

There are so many suppositions and assumptions in your response. I’m not going to address them all, because the more I do, do usual suspects will chime in about “making excuses“. I will summarize by saying that a lot of your opinions are based on what you see during the five minutes Garrett gets on film each Sunday, disregarding the weeks worth of meetings, practices, etc. that go into preparing for each game. The truth is we don’t know how involved he is, how much he communicates with his staff, how involved he is in making adjustments, etc.

Same line of reasoning applies to the draft Christmas well. Just because we see Marinelli talking to management in a two minute craft night video, we assume that he has full control over drafting defensive personnel? We assume that just because those two minutes doesn’t show Jason Garrett talking to management, that he therefore has no involvement in the draft process? The truth is, they have been days, weeks and months of discussions that go into the compilation of dialysis draft board.

I get it, however, because it is a results – driven league. It’s easy to make an assumption based on what you see, even when what you see is not a fair sampling size of what is really going on. My one question remains… If Garrett is such a poor coach, how do you explain 13-3 and 12-4?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
There are so many suppositions and assumptions in your response. I’m not going to address them all, because the more I do, do usual suspects will chime in about “making excuses“. I will summarize by saying that a lot of your opinions are based on what you see during the five minutes Garrett gets on film each Sunday, disregarding the weeks worth of meetings, practices, etc. that go into preparing for each game. The truth is we don’t know how involved he is, how much he communicates with his staff, how involved he is in making adjustments, etc.

Same line of reasoning applies to the draft Christmas well. Just because we see Marinelli talking to management in a two minute craft night video, we assume that he has full control over drafting defensive personnel? We assume that just because those two minutes doesn’t show Jason Garrett talking to management, that he therefore has no involvement in the draft process? The truth is, they have been days, weeks and months of discussions that go into the compilation of dialysis draft board.

I get it, however, because it is a results – driven league. It’s easy to make an assumption based on what you see, even when what you see is not a fair sampling size of what is really going on. My one question remains… If Garrett is such a poor coach, how do you explain 13-3 and 12-4?
Easily. You get a great OL and a star RB and you run him like crazy keeping your defense off the field.

Hayseed

Reaction score
Im already wayyyyyyyyyyy past the Garrett should be fired narrative. Of coarse he should be. Im just trying to figure out what degree of public shaming he deserves now. Im thinking.......... quite a bit! Maybe something like forced to ride out of Dallas on a jackazz thats walking backwards while wearing a dunce cap as the town folk pelt him with rotten tomatoes and wormy cabbage. I'd feel a little bad for the jackazz though. :D

diefree666

Reaction score

and how do you explain this year and 2015? Other teams do a lot better losing their starting QB which basically was what supposedly caused that collapse. and this year while we have lost our top RB and our MLB for extended times the Eagles have lost equally and are arguably the best team in the league at this time.

Bottom line is that you refuse to blame Red Ball for pretty much anything

Verdict

Reaction score
I voted no. I am not opposed to replacing Garrett, but I wouldn't do it just for the sake of doing it. I would fire Marinelli for sure.

If you find a guy who is available and is a clear upgrade over Garrett, then I am not opposed to it. I am opposed to knee jerk resolutions that mire us in three of four years of more mediocrity.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Here is a classic post representing the ignorant arm chair fans here. If the only person in the Cowboy organization that deserves blame is the GM/owner. The players aren’t going to play for someone who came out so hard against Kapernecki.
cool-story-bro_o_2285745.jpg

rpntex

Reaction score
and how do you explain this year and 2015? Other teams do a lot better losing their starting QB which basically was what supposedly caused that collapse. and this year while we have lost our top RB and our MLB for extended times the Eagles have lost equally and are arguably the best team in the league at this time.

Bottom line is that you refuse to blame Red Ball for pretty much anything

‘15 and this year are easy to explain. In both cases, it wasn’t so much losing the starter to injuries, but instead it was about the FO not doing a good job of building the roster. And yes, Garrett does share some of the blame for this. In ‘15, it was ALL about the loss of Romo, and about Dallas severely overvaluing the ability of both Weeden and Cassel. This year they obviously overvalued Green, and unwisely counted on a not-yet-ready Jaylon Smith to do more than he’s capable of.

waldoputty

Reaction score
‘15 and this year are easy to explain. In both cases, it wasn’t so much losing the starter to injuries, but instead it was about the FO not doing a good job of building the roster. And yes, Garrett does share some of the blame for this. In ‘15, it was ALL about the loss of Romo, and about Dallas severely overvaluing the ability of both Weeden and Cassel. This year they obviously overvalued Green, and unwisely counted on a not-yet-ready Jaylon Smith to do more than he’s capable of.

in 15, they let the heart and soul of the team leave. the RB.
this year - teams had 1 offseason to game plan how to beat the offense. defense got worst in db but better in dl and really bad in lb. then zeke happened.

the 15 rb issue and 17 db issue blame belongs to both coaches and mcclay.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Im already wayyyyyyyyyyy past the Garrett should be fired narrative. Of coarse he should be. Im just trying to figure out what degree of public shaming he deserves now. Im thinking.......... quite a bit! Maybe something like forced to ride out of Dallas on a jackazz thats walking backwards while wearing a dunce cap as the town folk pelt him with rotten tomatoes and wormy cabbage. I'd feel a little bad for the jackazz though. :D
Well, you’re going to be unhappy, which many people enjoy being unhappy, because Garrett’s not getting fired anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.